PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do.

R/C-PILOT
08-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Recently had issues with hydro locking, decided to go with tall risers. Just received a used set. After spending a few hours polishing the "polished" risers, I noticed a couple things. 1. when attached to the back of the water log, the exhaust side of the riser runs into the fiberglass, needing to be cut to fit. Then I see, the hole leaving the log is larger than the hole into the tall riser. #1, I don't really want to cut up my boat, #2, there is going to be a performance issue. What would you do.? Its a small block Chevy.

boats&bars
08-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Post a photo if you could.

502 JET
08-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Plug the holes in the transom and upgrade to OT headers.:cool:
Gain performance! No worries about hurting performance or cutting up the boat.

boats&bars
08-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Plug the holes in the transom and upgrade to OT headers.:cool:
Gain performance! No worries about hurting performance or cutting up the boat.
True. good thinking

R/C-PILOT
08-05-2007, 07:22 PM
I hate being computer challenged! Can't post a picture again, but there is one in "through transom headers or tall risers" post. If I installed headers, isn't there a bunch of plumbing to do? I keep reading about valves and different pressures etc. Sounds like a lot of work. I've been wanting to tow it along side or behind our houseboat, but it's hydrolocked just sitting behind the houseboat. I still think, replacing the exhaust tip inside flapper will do the trick. But I'm thinking the headers will be best. but alot of work. Man, I polished the logs and tall risers, wow, do they look great.

condor tx 19
08-05-2007, 07:50 PM
ot headers look great and perform great. but also keep in mind insurance companies hate them. thats why i still have manifolds on mine. im probably going to switch to thru transom headers this winter. as soon as i can find a set of used ones. if anyone has some bbc thru transom headers for sale pm me. i also saw you live in sugar grove, i live in sandwich. thought i was the lone jetboat guy around here. where do you boat?

R/C-PILOT
08-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Wilmington, we've got a houseboat there. Where the Desplains,Kankakee dump into and start the Illinois river.

R/C-PILOT
08-29-2007, 04:32 AM
Here it is, almost a month later. I've run the boat a number of times now. Turns out, the hydro-lock issue was due to the burnt up inner exhaust flappers. Instead of being round, they were shaped like the letter "I". That explained why the previous owner never had issues with this. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

ck7684
08-29-2007, 05:52 AM
Glad you got it figured out. Risers would be extra insurance, but with your current logs I can see why they wouldnt work...here's yours...
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7460/dsc00434ws6.jpg
Here's mine...
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/3069/boatengine5kg7.jpg
Note how different the logs sit in relation to height...I think your style would flow much better...

b's sanger
08-29-2007, 06:59 AM
Switch to ceramic coated headers.

sleekcrafter
08-29-2007, 07:24 AM
A shot in the dark here, it appears your logs may be inverted to make use of the angled discharge. See if the manifolds can be switched from left to right, this would lower the riser to clear the transom.

gr16241
08-29-2007, 08:21 AM
You might consider using Salsbury (spelling ?) covers over your exhaust tips. They aren't much to look at but are much more efficient than the inside rubber flappers that always burn off. I never had any problems after I installed them on my boat several years ago. I just recently took my covers off as I went to thru transom headers. Let me know if you are interested.

ck7684
08-29-2007, 10:12 AM
Yea, those things arent pretty. I just put in new exhaust tips and blew those rubber flappers right off. I had switched the rubbers in my old tips to some that I cut out from shoe sole rubber that I got at the local shoe/repair shop. It was twice as thick and lasted just fine with my old engine, but I havent tried 'em with this new mill yet...waiting to get it wet still...

R/C-PILOT
08-29-2007, 04:02 PM
I've got a pair of Salsbury outer flappers on the boat, it was the inner flappers for me that made the difference. I swore, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on headers, but DAMN, I'm havin too much fun with this boat! GR, how do ya like the headers? Was their a noticeable difference in performance? Are they much noisier than the logs? I'll plan on getting a set this winter. I went out and looked at the logs, I think it would work to flip them and use the tall risers, but theirs not enough summer left to mess with them. CK, the engine looks great. How big is it? http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/3184/dsc00596kt4.jpg http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5858/dsc00603nr4.jpg

gr16241
08-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Went with Lightning thru transom headers - oh how nice!! I picked up 400 rpm and they sound awesome. Highly recommend them. I have a buddy with a much larger 540 inch Ford that picked up 800 rpms versus the logs and risers. I do have a set of logs and risers off my bbc if anyone is in need. Have the Lightnings designed for your application - they will need several measurements. Can't go wrong on a big block - not sure how they perform on a small block.

kcsteck
08-29-2007, 05:34 PM
hey rc you sellin some stuff on ebay? seen some stuff for sale with boat lookin like yours in the back ground.
Casey

R/C-PILOT
08-29-2007, 06:59 PM
Nope, nothing on ebay.... anything good?

R/C-PILOT
08-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Switch to ceramic coated headers.
Who makes a thru hull set for a small block?

R/C-PILOT
08-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Went with Lightning thru transom headers - oh how nice!! I picked up 400 rpm and they sound awesome. Highly recommend them. I have a buddy with a much larger 540 inch Ford that picked up 800 rpms versus the logs and risers. I do have a set of logs and risers off my bbc if anyone is in need. Have the Lightnings designed for your application - they will need several measurements. Can't go wrong on a big block - not sure how they perform on a small block.
GR, just looked at the Lightning headers at CP. Holy Cow! I only gave a couple hundred more for the whole boat! A little pricey for me, I'm married with children, but man, they are nice.

ck7684
08-30-2007, 04:27 AM
If you got your problem resolved, I would leave your manifolds as is. Headers are definately nice, but out of my price range too. Plus there arent any that will fit under my engine cover. That's OK because my goal was to bring back stock performance with more reliability and I think I have more power than I really need for this little boat.
BTW my engine is just a run of the mill .060 over 454 (468). The stock engine was an Indmar 454...

gr16241
08-30-2007, 12:54 PM
GR, just looked at the Lightning headers at CP. Holy Cow! I only gave a couple hundred more for the whole boat! A little pricey for me, I'm married with children, but man, they are nice.
Hey R/C Pilot I totally understand!! I was able to find a used set that actually fit very nice, otherwise I wouldn't be running them either. My wife just about hung me as it was. Oh Well- I got them, she got over it and they work awesome.