PDA

View Full Version : msd ignition

condor tx 19
08-05-2007, 08:33 PM
im going to put an msd setup in my boat. my question is, the marine stuff is out of my price range. what do you guys think about using a regular pro billet distributor (part # 85551), a red 6al box, and a blaster high viration coil? besides the coast guard approved parts issue do you think i will have problems? i was planning on mounting the box where it will never get wet. under the rear seat on the seat frame or even in the ski locker. will it work or should i wait and spend the extra $ for the marine stuff?

SBC Jetboat
08-05-2007, 08:47 PM
You'll be fine. Im eventually gonna use the 6A-L in my boat too. Just try to keep it dry as much as possible. Do you have an open engine compartment or a hatch?? Ive run regular distributors under a hatch before with no problems ( I like the HEI on GM's), but I believe people are discouraged from doing it usually.

OUTLAW HALLETT
08-05-2007, 09:12 PM
i use a 6-al and have for years never any problem

fleetimus
08-05-2007, 09:47 PM
I will never use anything but MSD. My 6al and distributor was underwater for three weeks and fired the day after I brought it up:eek:

victorfb
08-05-2007, 10:07 PM
from someone who just had his 6AL box go out....... youll be fine. my 6AL was used on a pickup and driving in the rain soaked it, then it went into the boat and has gotten wet many times. is that what made it go? i dought it. the thing was 11 years old. its gotta go sometime. be sure to use the rubber mounting peices to avoid vibration, and A GOOD GROUND! run two ground wires for that matter.

minnesota_duane
08-05-2007, 10:14 PM
MSD is a kick ass company, my Digital 6 Died that I had in my Mustang was 3-4 years old I sent it off to them to see if they could fix it, they sent me back a brand new one for FREE. I think welding on the car is what did it in.

victorfb
08-05-2007, 10:27 PM
MSD is a kick ass company, my Digital 6 Died that I had in my Mustang was 3-4 years old I sent it off to them to see if they could fix it, they sent me back a brand new one for FREE. I think welding on the car is what did it in.
i hope i have that kind of luck with the 6AL. just sent it out yesterday. was quoted between 15-79 bucks. hope its the 15, but even at 79 bucks id be happy to get it fixed and have a back-up.

shaun
08-06-2007, 12:21 AM
As long as it's not a covered engine compartment you'll be fine.