PDA

View Full Version : Lake Rage or Stupidity

fatboy95
08-05-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm reading a lot of posts and am hearing a lot of anger from boaters about what is happening on the lakes. Kids are getting killed because someone else is irresponsible or just plain stupid. Boating used to be fun and brought many families and friends together for some great times. Now it seems to be a war on the waterways mainly because of alcohol and egos. You wonder why there are getting to be more and more a--hole boat cops out there? Shouldn't be hard to figure that one. Very soon there will be more restrictions on the waterways as the population continues to grow. It's up to the boating public now to make it a safe and fun sport for current boaters and future generations. Take some time and think about what you are doing in the moment and what might occur due to your actions. Who knows, you may save someones life.

Rexone
08-05-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm reading a lot of posts and am hearing a lot of anger from boaters about what is happening on the lakes. Kids are getting killed because someone else is irresponsible or just plain stupid. Boating used to be fun and brought many families and friends together for some great times. Now it seems to be a war on the waterways mainly because of alcohol and egos. You wonder why there are getting to be more and more a--hole boat cops out there? Shouldn't be hard to figure that one. Very soon there will be more restrictions on the waterways as the population continues to grow. It's up to the boating public now to make it a safe and fun sport for current boaters and future generations. Take some time and think about what you are doing in the moment and what might occur due to your actions. Who knows, you may save someones life.
You can take that one to the bank. There's already talk of speed limits and other restrictions because of a few inconsiderate dumbasses.

Goad
08-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Amen :mad:

ol guy
08-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Held back many times from the words, but now you have opened up th door and I will chime in and say RIGHT F!!!ing ON. As have posted before you can sell anyone a PWC or boat but you cannot sell them brains. Only been boating for over 30 years. When I was brought up in the seat of a 14ft Regatta outboard on the parker strip before off-shore and deck boats where even thought of the first rule was never assume the other boat see's you and you will always be safe. 30 something years later and ALOT OF BOAT TIME by the grace of god and good training by the old man I have never had a incident on the river or Lake Havasu, Think I'll go knock on wood for an hour, and thank my parents for bringing me up in the area i've loved for so many years.

HighRoller
08-05-2007, 09:54 PM
If they made the entire waterway at Havasu a maximum of 24ft and 45mph I'd buy a boat tomorrow and be there next week. Those who complain truly do not understand what the whole "river" thing is all about. It's about leisure, friends, a good time and relaxing. Take your silly offshore race rigs to Catalina. We don't care how much you spent on your 6 drives and cameras so you can show us how fast you were going when you passed that Bayliner.
If you think your rig is badass and you want to prove it, paste some numbers on it and go line up next to Tomlinson and his buddies at a real race. They call it "racing" for a reason. The river is not a race track and Lord knows why you want to treat it as such. Then again, most of you are from SoCal where the freeways are a raceway...Small dicks=big boats and something to prove...

ol guy
08-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Not all boat cops are aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaholes some can be after a long day of dealing with ego-maniac dorks. But for the most part they are just out to keep some sort of sanity and bail you out on the occasion you may need it. And no I'm not.

Kilrtoy
08-05-2007, 10:05 PM
If they made the entire waterway at Havasu a maximum of 24ft and 45mph I'd buy a boat tomorrow and be there next week. Those who complain truly do not understand what the whole "river" thing is all about. It's about leisure, friends, a good time and relaxing. Take your silly offshore race rigs to Catalina. We don't care how much you spent on your 6 drives and cameras so you can show us how fast you were going when you passed that Bayliner.
If you think your rig is badass and you want to prove it, paste some numbers on it and go line up next to Tomlinson and his buddies at a real race. They call it "racing" for a reason. The river is not a race track and Lord knows why you want to treat it as such. Then again, most of you are from SoCal where the freeways are a raceway...Small dicks=big boats and something to prove...
So does this mean you don't want a ride anymore

Jyruiz
08-05-2007, 10:08 PM
If they made the entire waterway at Havasu a maximum of 24ft and 45mph I'd buy a boat tomorrow and be there next week.
I say make it a maximum of 26'.:D

vee-driven
08-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Relaxing, friends and fast boats, the river used to be the place to let it all hang out, and have a good time it dosen't seem like that anymore. when i was a little kid we couldnt wait to go to the river in the summer with the v drives and my dads friends with their v drives, tents and vans, sleeping in the truck, listening to the old guys talkin about how it was before i was born seeing the pics. from back then when uncle gary used to tow the flatty to the river behind a stingray corvette those must have been the days, quitting your job because the boss wouldnt give you the time off and getting rehired when you got back, all stories from the parents and their friends. i have seen it change drastically from when i was a kid and i am only 29 years old.

OverKill
08-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Relaxing, friends and fast boats, the river used to be the place to let it all hang out, and have a good time it dosen't seem like that anymore. when i was a little kid we couldnt wait to go to the river in the summer with the v drives and my dads friends with their v drives, tents and vans, sleeping in the truck, listening to the old guys talkin about how it was before i was born seeing the pics. from back then when uncle gary used to tow the flatty to the river behind a stingray corvette those must have been the days, quitting your job because the boss wouldnt give you the time off and getting rehired when you got back, all stories from the parents and their friends. i have seen it change drastically from when i was a kid and i am only 29 years old.
31 here, and I know what you mean. Going tubing with an old big rig truck tub. Water skies out of wood. My dads jet was fun at a top speed at 55, pitching a tent, all the family got along, and everyone had something good to say. Not all this attitude and negativity.
OverKill

ol guy
08-05-2007, 11:21 PM
FYI to those who care, I'm dancing at the 50 mark and the only reason my HB link is ol guy is that is what my kids call me { out of love and thanks for tyring to show them the life I grew up in]. Here is one for you old river folks, Who remebers Polynesian village and if you do where was it. And also back in those days it was sleep on the beach with all the other kids in camp on a cot and had to do the dishes in the river after breakfast before any ski rides. Now I'm tearing up just from thinking how it was. Now I will really piss you off- Monday thru Friday AM if you saw another boat you already have met them and are friends.

shueman
08-06-2007, 01:04 AM
Started going to Blythe in the late 50's with the family and friends, a little later to Parker and Black Meadows.
The river is still the same...it's the users and equipment that have changed...:(

OverKill
08-06-2007, 02:44 AM
FYI to those who care, I'm dancing at the 50 mark and the only reason my HB link is ol guy is that is what my kids call me { out of love and thanks for tyring to show them the life I grew up in]. Here is one for you old river folks, Who remebers Polynesian village and if you do where was it. And also back in those days it was sleep on the beach with all the other kids in camp on a cot and had to do the dishes in the river after breakfast before any ski rides. Now I'm tearing up just from thinking how it was. Now I will really piss you off- Monday thru Friday AM if you saw another boat you already have met them and are friends.
WOW I remember my dad giving us trash detail every day before we got to ski. I to remember the cots and putting a wet sheet over you from river water, just to keep cool. No such thing as an EZ UP, just a bunch of poles, a tarp, rope, and friends and family helping you set it up. I also remember my dad telling me to sleep in the boat, and the small waves would put me to sleep. How about this one. My grandpa tought me how to make a fishing poll with string around a Budweiser can, thing worked to.
It's just ashame what it's all come to. I pray things will change for the better.
OverKill

OGShocker
08-06-2007, 04:24 AM
You can take that one to the bank. There's already talk of speed limits and other restrictions because of a few inconsiderate dumbasses.
Five percent of the boating public f***ing up for the 95% of folks who do things right.:mad: :mad: :mad:

H20skier
08-06-2007, 05:48 AM
Well said HighRoller. From what we see living on the river, we couldn't agree more.

fatboy95
08-06-2007, 05:48 AM
Not all boat cops are aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaholes some can be after a long day of dealing with ego-maniac dorks. But for the most part they are just out to keep some sort of sanity and bail you out on the occasion you may need it. And no I'm not.
You are correct. Most are doing their jobs but their patience is really tested to the limits by some boat owners.

Garrddogg
08-06-2007, 06:37 AM
Boating has changed,
We were out is the same area a few weeks ago 1/2 mile south of Topoc and we broke down drifting in the current engine hatch up about five people on our boat waving also with a flag, couldnt fukcing believe it but people just kept going, noone stopping or even asking why everyone aboard was franticaly waving!:mad: drifting toward a rock point had to give up on help so told the kids to stay inside and all the adults hit the water and tried to swim it to shore (almost made it) had to give up on that and get between the rocks and the boat and push it against the current to keep it off the rocks, we made it. but physicaly fukced me up I was wiped out, (and Im back in the gym and would like to think im getting back in some decent shape too) funny but a lady on a seado came over to check on us and had thier family in a pontoon tow us to Topoc.(many thanks)
my point is people(not all but far too many) just dont give a fukc anymore!
I myself dont drink at all so it doesnt bother me to not drink on the river, but a few people are going to fukc up the whole river enjoyment for us all..
Soon it will be NO alchohol and 35 mph on the water! sucks ass.
rant off, be safe out there.

Sherpa
08-06-2007, 06:46 AM
bailing out of work early at 2pm from san jose, best freind and I driving all
night to get to havasu by 4am, flopping on his folks house floor, getting up
at 7am and on the water by 7:30........ picking girls up from the islander so
we could ski, drinking beers at copper, and coming in at 7pm. wash the boat,
have a quick bite to eat, going stripper fishing until 2am on the folks pontoon.
and getting up at 7am the next morning to do it again. then drive back home,
and back to work on monday morning.......
--Sherpa............no drama, just fun.

Seadog
08-06-2007, 08:25 AM
You always see a lot of stupidity on the water. Friday I was pulling out of the no wake zone at the marina I use. On my right, it is a high rock formation. Just as I was about to hit it, a 50' houseboat comes flying past the rocks, making a huge wake. As I watched, he went on past and further down went between a series of no wake buoys and the docks they were in front of. And he was making about 3' wakes.
When I was calling it a day on Sunday, a bass boat and a pontoon boat were both going slowly, and on collision course. Yet neither one would give way. The pontoon was crossing the entrance lane to the marina and I don't think he was paying attention, or was just acting stupid. Drinking and stupid seem to go hand in hand.

Riverbass
08-06-2007, 02:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KJSsty_CjI
:D :D :D

Riverbass
08-06-2007, 02:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnA6N3QFLtc

Riverbass
08-06-2007, 02:16 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156783
:D :D

Dave C
08-06-2007, 02:23 PM
what happened to that boat license idea.... good idea if you ask me.
They should make the test for a lake lice 150 questions long......

yopengo
08-06-2007, 02:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KJSsty_CjI
That exact spot at Buckskin was my first trip to the river when I was 10…. great video.

fatboy95
08-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Oregon is ahead of us on the certification for boat drivers. You can't operate on any waterway unless you pass the test and have cert in hand.:idea: :idea: It makes me wonder if maybe a boat driver had been certified last weekend a little 8 year old girl would be out shopping for school clothes today with her mom.

IDRPSTF
08-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Yeah, that would solve the problem. When did the size of your boat have anything to do with your I.Q.?
Many of the boats large boats on this lake have at one point or another been brokered by myself or a salesperson working for me. Most purchasing large boats take the time to learn to drive them when we offer. They learn to trailer, launch, dock and manuver. We offer the training and in the past year have only had 1 person decline our offer on a boat 29ft or larger (An that person had the boat delivered out of state).
I see the faster boats on the water slowing down in the narrows for safety. Larger boats owners are more afraid of being damaged by drunks and those whom have never had any training on a pontoon or other boat.
Its not the size of the boat... its the education of the driver.
And before making referance to SoCal lets not forget where your bread is buttered my friend!!! I live in Lake Havasu City and I own two businesses in Lake Havasu City. I am a member of the chamber and many other local organizations looking to protect the rights of those living in our city. I speak with others openly about the direction our fair town. But unless you are 100% indian I believe we all moved to this town from somewhare... Californians just come often enough to boost the local economy through the roof and allow for many of the upgrades that some take for granted. So next time you want to snivel at that white plated Hummer driving down the street. Pull the driver out and give him a hug would ya!

Taylor923
08-06-2007, 02:59 PM
The problem today is, anybody with the money can buy a 100 mph boat, even if it is their first boat. They go out a push the sticks all the way down and have never driven any type of boat before. Thats scary!

Brewzed
08-06-2007, 03:06 PM
I agree on the license idea. I think it boils down to commons sense though. Anyone could pass a test and still not be able to drive worth a damn. It's the same with driving a car, but I think its a bigger factor while driving a boat.

40FlatDeck
08-06-2007, 04:15 PM
I understand what you are saying, with that being said......
A. I have taken my boat to Catalina
B. I wish I could agree with "we don't care how much your rig cost", why then, do I get asked that one thousand times in a weekend.:rolleyes:
C. I don't race anybody, especially Bayliners:D
D. I enjoy the lake, just like you, I just happen to have a bigger boat.
E. I could give a sh#t what people think of me or what I have.
F. I know my rig is bad ass, just like Im sure you think yours is bad ass.
G. My d*ck is not the biggest, but I do like my boat.:D
Erik

gnRacer98
08-06-2007, 04:25 PM
You can't legislate STUPIDITY, our roads are a perfect example.