PDA

View Full Version : Trim Troubles

Charger 18
07-03-2002, 03:53 PM
I've got a problem with the trim on my boat. If I use the up button to trim the boat out, I can't trim it back in because the motor gets stuck in the up posotion for some reason. But if i use the trailer button to trim the motor up it will go down like normal if I use the down button.
My question is where should I be looking to try to find the source of the problem, I am running a stock 1980, 200HP Mercury.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Budweiser
07-03-2002, 06:35 PM
Does the trim motor even TRY to trim down when trimming from the helm? Just a hunch (life experience tells me to always check the simplest things first), but if the trim pump doesn't even activate, it sounds like a faulty trim switch. Good luck.
Budweiser

CHEETER-JOE
07-03-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Charger 18:
I've got a problem with the trim on my boat. If I use the up button to trim the boat out, I can't trim it back in because the motor gets stuck in the up posotion for some reason. But if i use the trailer button to trim the motor up it will go down like normal if I use the down button.
My question is where should I be looking to try to find the source of the problem, I am running a stock 1980, 200HP Mercury.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
A buddy of mine has a similar problem, but his will stick in the down position. If the boat is stopped, the trim will work fine both ways. If he trim's up and then takes off, the motor instantly drops and will not go back up while driving.?????I have no idea -------Joey

snappertapper
07-04-2002, 06:12 AM
sounds like bad seals in the unit its self to me.

Rickracer
07-21-2002, 04:30 AM
First thing to try would be to make sure the trim system is full of fluid and properly bled out. Also make sure the switch that doesn't seem to be working is actually supplying voltage.

Charger 18
07-29-2002, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the input guys, it turned out that the power trim pump is in need of a re-build so I have brought it in to be serviced.