PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of quitting boating?

THOR
08-06-2007, 09:19 AM
With the recent reports of accidents and close calls it has got me thinking. Although I am not ready to quit boating at Havasu, I really like seeing my kids having so much fun hanging on the beach with us and with the grandparents. I have fond memories as a little kid of going to Mead and Powell with my parents and nothing was greater than that time. Nothing.
I want to give my kids that kind of enjoyment that my brother and I had when we were kids. That being said, I never go up river on the weekends, but I do go to Moabi on Friday mornings and let the kids hang out and swim on the beach. I dont find that part of the river all that bad up til noon or so. Then we go back down to the lake part and hang on a beach.
Am I being overly paranoid about all this? I think I might be, but hearing what happened to that poor little girl makes me think twice.

USCFAN
08-06-2007, 09:28 AM
I think quiting boating is punishing your family. Although it has been a downer hearing about the incidents on the lake, I think it's important not to make a emotional decision that effects you and your families enjoyment on the lake. We have to just remember to take the precations needed to insure our families safety. There are idiots no matter where you go and what you do. Are you going to stop driving because you here of some idiot drunk driver slamed into the side of a vehicle and killed people? I think you may just be being a little paranoid. That is not a bad thing though it just means you are being aware.

RaceFace
08-06-2007, 09:29 AM
I changed our summer boating schedule 2 years ago to mondays through thursdays and our week long vacations out there are in mid may (when school is in session) and early October (school back in session). I do NOT boat on weekends anymore.
I have a 4 and 7 year old and I got tired of feeling like I was taking their lives in my hands every time we went out. And go to the sandbar?? Forget it!! You have dildo's doing 100mph on a crowded river and thinking its THEIR river, and if youre slower than them you are a f*cktard, idiots up at the sandbar starting fights and lotsa nudity. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE nudity, but the Sandbar is NO place for kids on a weekend. I go there on a weekday and throw frisbees with my boys without a worry at all.
Fortunately I can adjust my schedule at work to have fun on weekdays. If I couldnt, I dont think I would be going.

Racey
08-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Accidents can happen to anyone, but if you are a good safe boater you have much much less of a chance of having one happen to you, Keep your eyes open, you know the drill. Most of these tragedies are caused by a combination of both parties involved. Giving up boating is just throwing in the towel, i could never ever think about giving up boating, no matter what the scenario.

THOR
08-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I am constantly looking over my shoulder soas not to "hold" up the 100+ mph big dog and to not get in their way. I also never spend time as the sandbar nor to I go up river on Saturdays.
I would love to boat on the weekdays, but I am in sales and simply cant afford to vacation anytime except the weekends. It sucks, but I cant.

Magic34
08-06-2007, 09:41 AM
I changed my style of boating. Went from a 95 MPH cat to a 55 MPH cruiser. We cruise around at 30 MPH and aviod the madness.
It is normal to think like this. My decision came after last year's poker run accidents. Instead of doing the run, I'll just be a card stop now.

Magic34
08-06-2007, 09:41 AM
I changed my style of boating. Went from a 95 MPH cat to a 55 MPH cruiser. We cruise around at 30 MPH and aviod the madness.
It is normal to think like this. My decision came after last year's poker run accidents. Instead of doing the run, I'll just be a card stop now.

OutCole'd
08-06-2007, 09:42 AM
We've changed how and where we boat, but I'm not giving it up. We don't head up river at all any more. We launch & head South. Find a cove & kick it.
I don't bring beer on the boat anymore (because I know that I don't limit myself well). I avoid the crowds and the channel and I don't have any problems.
We usually try to head in early also. I'm usually off the water by 3:00 or 4:00. I think that helps avoid some of the drunks.
PWC's are still my biggest concerns, most of my close calls are with them and their inability to turn their heads.

THOR
08-06-2007, 09:46 AM
We launch & head South. Find a cove & kick it.
As do we. We have always done this. I dont find any enjoyment with staging for position to go up river to fight with all the 200K boats.

superdave013
08-06-2007, 09:54 AM
With the recent reports of accidents and close calls
This is nothing new and happens every year. And it's always the same responses here. You know the "oh my god, I can't believe that could happen" response.

Coach
08-06-2007, 09:56 AM
We do all of our boating above the Sandbar and mostly from Moabi North. Actually I find right in front of the peninsulas at Mobai to be some of the roughest water and busiest areas because of everyone coming and going. I really like going towards needles. Between about 10-11:30 all of the big boats come out and head to Havi or Sandbar then the rest of the afternoon it is not that crowed.
A big part of I think what you see here on this site are people all going to some big party spots. Look at most of the pics you see on this site it is always people drinking and drinking around boats. You and I know many are getting behind the wheel and when you add in the speed of the boats you see on this site it is a bad combo. I have now have a boat that doesn't go more than 40 mph and normally I am cruising at 30-35. I have found that speed will influence accidents because the time to react is limited. I am all for a speed run now and again but overall I feel safer going slow and listening to my tunes.
My kids love the river and boating too much. I just try to avoid the party crowds and when I go to the Sandbar I leave by 1 pm when the craziness starts. Normally by 3 pm on Saturdays I beach the boat and start drinking on the beach and if we go back out my wife drives because she is the DD.

Jbb
08-06-2007, 10:07 AM
This is nothing new and happens every year. And it's always the same responses here. You know the "oh my god, I can't believe that could happen" response.
Really......wow......Herd mentality and overreaction is running at an all time high.......guess what folks...the sky really isn't falling...
Anybody remember our lil buddy RD talking about River Awareness...?
Boatcop hasn't even weighed in with the FACTS of the case yet.....
A terrible tragedy has happened.....and NO ONE ...except maybe Boatcop knows what really happened yet....
A child has lost her life......awful as it is, she wasn't the first......and sadly, ...she wont be the last...
Being aware of your surroundings ......and laying off the booze....is a good start

PaPaG
08-06-2007, 10:17 AM
With the recent reports of accidents and close calls it has got me thinking. Although I am not ready to quit boating at Havasu, I really like seeing my kids having so much fun hanging on the beach with us and with the grandparents. I have fond memories as a little kid of going to Mead and Powell with my parents and nothing was greater than that time. Nothing.
I want to give my kids that kind of enjoyment that my brother and I had when we were kids. That being said, I never go up river on the weekends, but I do to to Moabi on Friday mornings and let the kids hang out and swim on the beach. I dont find that part of the river all that bad up til noon or so. Then we go back down to the lake part and hang on a beach.
Am I being overly paranoid about all this? I think I might be, but hearing what happened to that poor little girl makes me think twice.
I think times have changed with all these big fast boats and new drivers, we NEVER go on the water on Saturdays anymore, sit on the beach and watch all the nuts go back and forth. We usually get a group and go out on Sundays, if it is a big weekend we have a rule of "NO BOATING" until Monday. It sucks for our friends that have to work the weekdays but I rather be safe than sorry. I think OC has a good view, go down lake and hang in an area where the crowd is much smaller then head in early. Just my .02 :D

jbtrailerjim
08-06-2007, 10:19 AM
I almost threw in the towell on boating end of last year but I changed my mind. My wife, our boy's, and myself just enjoy it too much. I grew up going boating with my folks and have a lot of great memories being out on the lake as a kid. I want my kids to able to have those same memories.
I boat a little different now on Havasu. I usually head south and find a nice place to float for a while. I like to float in the "No Wake" area just past the springs. I like to hang in Steamboat also. Not as much as I used to though. It gets a little busy now on weekends in there. I still hang out in the channel but I really try not to park next to idiots. I usually look for a family with kids to park next to. I never head up river on a weekend anymore and I never go to the sand bar anymore either. I wish I could boat only during the week but my wife and I both work Mon-Fri. With the exception of a vacation day here and there, weekends are pretty much it for us.

THOR
08-06-2007, 10:21 AM
I almost threw in the towell on boating end of last year but I changed my mind. My wife, our boy's, and myself just enjoy it too much. I grew up going boating with my folks and have a lot of great memories being out on the lake as a kid. I want my kids to able to have those same memories.
I boat a little different now on Havasu. I usually head south and find a nice place to float for a while. I like to float in the "No Wake" area just past the springs. I like to hang in Steamboat also. Not as much as I used to though. It gets a little busy now on weekends in there. I still hang out in the channel but I really try not to park next to idiots. I usually look for a family with kids to park next to. I never head up river on a weekend anymore and I never go to the sand bar anymore either. I wish I could boat only during the week but my wife and I both work Mon-Fri. With the exception of a vacation day here and there, weekends are pretty much it for us.
We pretty much do the exact same thing Jim. If you ever see us on a beach, feel free to hang. Our kids are hanging with us and the grandparents.

jbtrailerjim
08-06-2007, 10:29 AM
We pretty much do the exact same thing Jim. If you ever see us on a beach, feel free to hang. Our kids are hanging with us and the grandparents.
I just may take you up on that offer if I see you out there. We'll be out there later this month on the 23rd, 24th, & 25th hanging out with my folks.

MKEELINE
08-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Stop boating? No way!
Is it getting more and more frustrating and dangerous every year? Hell yes.
When tragedies happen the first reaction shouldn't be to quit, if it's something you truly love doing. People are always pole vaulting to conclusions when something tragic happens. Until you step back and figure out what happened and why your merely making assumptions.
One thing is for sure, a little girl lost her life and a family lost a daughter. Being a father of two little girls I can't imagine a more horrific thing.

finsfan4life
08-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Like its really FU####G necessary to cruise at 80 or a 100 mph..!!!!
Didnt we recently read a post saying "Well I was cruising at about 80 or 100 mph, i got cut off." Thats freakin smart, and this person actually claimed it wasnt his fault !!!!!

boats&bars
08-06-2007, 10:38 AM
I sold the fast wacker for a 45 mph daycruiser and Its a little better,more room and alot safer, me and the wife are talking about weekday boating, we have a 6 year old and he was raised around boats, we still think twice before going out these days, Its pretty bad when your kid is in the channel and sees kids teaksurfing and says look at those idiots, hes 6 and knows the rights and wrongs,why cant people just slow down and pay attention to whats going on around them, and why is it that everyone thinks that beer and boats go hand in hand.:confused:

Caljamr
08-06-2007, 12:32 PM
I went through the same thing with my quads. I thought it was too dangerous and i'm glad i didn't quite. All i did was change where i went riding. Just like boating i hate going to packed locations. I'm into finding a nice mellow marina on a lake and finding a nice quite area so i can have fun with my friends. Maybe i'm getting old but i like my peace and quite boating compared to craziness of some areas.

Magic34
08-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Same here. 3 y/o girl and 7 week old boy. :)

boatnam2
08-06-2007, 12:40 PM
i think im going to quite driving my car to many drunks and accidents,i will take a bus wait they crash too,maybe a plane shit they crash also.im not going to get into it because its a losing battle but there is more then drunks that are the problem at the river it is just boating awareness then anything else.i see just as many or more dumb shit moves at 9am in the morning in parker and have been in just as many close calls because of dumb ass people.to many to count on 2 hands last weekend so i guess at 9am they were all drunk.kids moms dads all doing shit i cant believe and there is your problem dumbass adults with no river skills teaching there kids the same thing.

hot_diggity_dog
08-06-2007, 12:44 PM
I went through the same thing with my quads. I thought it was too dangerous and i'm glad i didn't quite. All i did was change where i went riding. Just like boating i hate going to packed locations. I'm into finding a nice mellow marina on a lake and finding a nice quite area so i can have fun with my friends. Maybe i'm getting old but i like my peace and quite boating compared to craziness of some areas.
Your just being a realist. Times have changed.
This looks like fun
http://a122.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/110/l_617bccb4b89bbb2f72b066a53f0c2cb9.jpg
HDD:D

BigDogIvan
08-06-2007, 12:45 PM
To give up boating would not be an option for me. I don't have a fast boat and do not want a fast boat. Maybe someday a flashy boat with lots of bling and color but not fast, just look good!! To many things can happen at highspeeds and the way the crowds are on the water these days I want to make sure we are safe. Like a few have said, we too head south once on the water and float around maybe pull someone on a tube or head into a cove and float. We also get off the water somewhere between 3 and 4 As a kid the family would stay at Moaby and head down to Havi. That I do miss but afraid to run the canyon since I don't know that end of the river. There are days we get off the lake and my kneck hurts from constanly looking around for other boats.

seanv
08-06-2007, 12:48 PM
ummm im thinking your our beer stop :D :D
waddup buddy!!!

Caljamr
08-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Your just being a realist. Times have changed.
This looks like fun
http://a122.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/110/l_617bccb4b89bbb2f72b066a53f0c2cb9.jpg
HDD:D
OK i'm getting old but not that old. ;)

voodoomedman
08-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Maybe we should see if they could start a section for families on ***boats. Or at least we should start a thread each week seeing who are the non-partiers going that weekend or something. I have a 2 year old and a 6 week old and a good 80-90% of the time my in-laws are with us. I launch around 7 to avoid the crowds and we head south towards the damn and then work our way back up. If it's not a stupid busy weekend or it's a weekday I will venture upriver and play at the Sandbar or if the Sandbar is crazy then go to another cool little cove and sandbar we found below the 40. We get off the water by 1 or 2 to avoid the crowds and drunks and we are usually tired anyway. Go back to the house and relax and have dinner, watch a movie or play some games or whatever. I may have 1 or 2 beers the whole entire day and only pack as much. Now at the house I'll have some but never get drunk and act a fool while my kids are watching. I can't believe the way people act. It is ridiculous. I love Havasu but Saturday's on it sucks. The drive out there to deal with the mess is discouraging. I won't quit boating ever but I will quit Southern California.
Same here. 3 y/o girl and 7 week old boy. :)

OutCole'd
08-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Maybe we should see if they could start a section for families on ***boats. Or at least we should start a thread each week seeing who are the non-partiers going that weekend or something. I have a 2 year old and a 6 week old and a good 80-90% of the time my in-laws are with us. I launch around 7 to avoid the crowds and we head south towards the damn and then work our way back up. If it's not a stupid busy weekend or it's a weekday I will venture upriver and play at the Sandbar or if the Sandbar is crazy then go to another cool little cove and sandbar we found below the 40. We get off the water by 1 or 2 to avoid the crowds and drunks and we are usually tired anyway. Go back to the house and relax and have dinner, watch a movie or play some games or whatever. I may have 1 or 2 beers the whole entire day and only pack as much. Now at the house I'll have some but never get drunk and act a fool while my kids are watching. I can't believe the way people act. It is ridiculous. I love Havasu but Saturday's on it sucks. The drive out there to deal with the mess is discouraging. I won't quit boating ever but I will quit Southern California.
Plan on going to the RRX Regatta, lots of kids & families there.

MBlaster
08-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Maybe we should see if they could start a section for families on ***boats. I may have 1 or 2 beers the whole entire day and only pack as much.
Thats a great idea. There are a lot of folks here that have little kids or grandkids that would like to keep them innocent for as long as we can.
Me too. When we pack food and drinks for the day the Mrs will bring 2 beers for me along with sodas, waters and gatorade.
We are lucky enough to be able to do 85% of our boating during the week. I wouldn't even consider Havi on a weekend or holiday.

voodoomedman
08-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Plan on going to the RRX Regatta, lots of kids & families there.
I really do hope to go but my wife has a two level microdiscectomy next Tuesday. It all depends on the recovery if we'll be able to go. Would be nice to meet some folks our age with kids and like interests.