PDA

View Full Version : Smart Craft

Chickenlips
08-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Mercury 496 HO smart motors are a lot smarter then the Technicians that work on them. In a post that I put in about a month and one half ago. The motor will run for 15 minutes and shut down, wait 15 more minutes it will start. The temp gage doesn't show it being hot.
When he bought the boat the computer showed the motor had 22 hours, even though the boat was a 2002 boat, so the warrenty was up. Mercury will not give him any warrenty information on the motor because he isn't the original owner.
So he calls a Mercury (certified technician). The 1st guy told him to put in a new fuel pump ( $630.00 ) didn't work The 2nd guy said put in a new computer ($750.00) didn't work the same guy said put in 3-new sensors ($60.00) didn't. The 3rd guy said put in a new wireing harness, it would be about ($800.00). he hasn't done that yet. Of all the 496HO's that are out there I don't think his is, or was the only one that this is happing too. If anyone has any idea on what is happing to this motor please let me know.
Jim

BDMar
08-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Has he ever actually taken the boat to a Certified Merc. shop and had a technician check it out? From your post it sounds like he has called them only?

Beer-30
08-06-2007, 07:26 PM
The main circuit breaker for the whole motor is right on top, next to the ECM. One might want to change out that small device, as they sometimes are "finicky" and go open with they get warm.

Chickenlips
08-07-2007, 06:40 AM
Has he ever actually taken the boat to a Certified Merc. shop and had a technician check it out? From your post it sounds like he has called them only?
He had them come to his dock, because the boat has to be under power for this too happen. These guys bring there lap top's. The problem with the computer is it will not tell you what is causing the problem, I think they are for telling Mercury what you did with the motor like over heat or over rev and so on. The boat will run @ idel speed on the lift for a long time.

Chickenlips
08-07-2007, 09:46 AM
The main circuit breaker for the whole motor is right on top, next to the ECM. One might want to change out that small device, as they sometimes are "finicky" and go open with they get warm.
Beer 30, Can we jumper thoses two wires with out burning up the harness. If it runs then we can assume that it was the braker. Thank
Jim

Roaddogg 4040
08-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Beer 30, Can we jumper thoses two wires with out burning up the harness. If it runs then we can assume that it was the braker. Thank
Jim
That sounds kind of shakey to me... There are a lot of high doller computers, sensors and etc. in that engine and I wouldn't want to run it unprotected... JMHO...
Steve

Aluminum Squirt
08-07-2007, 12:27 PM
I had an issue with my HO that sounds slightly similar. It was going into safe mode and wouldn't rev. I took it to a couple of local shops who tried "everything", same problem, no fix, much $ down the toilet. It was under warranty but they couldn't find anything wrong so I had to pay for shop time. I'm not going to bash any shops on here, but I will spam one that that took good care of me. Per a board member's (and my brother in law's)recommendation, I took it to Boatmasters in Dublin. It took him about 30 seconds with his labtop software to find the fault. They replaced a relay, and it was good to go. They even changed the oil, checked the drive alaignment etc. I don't remember what they charged me, it wasn't free but it wasn't horribly expensive either. Bottom line was that they fixed it, and I will always pay for quality work. I'm no Merc Tech but make sure whatever shop it goes to, they have the newest best laptop software, I think it will be able to tell him exactly what faults the computer has been throwing out and will lead to a quick fix. Good luck-Aluminum Squirt

spectras only
08-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Hi Jim , I've purchased the Merc tool from Rinda to avoid paying techs guessing and charging 90 bucks an hour just for trouble shooting .Unless there's a code popping up , it's up to an experienced merc tech to find the real problem.Having a merc manual is advisable . I've had a similar problem with my starboard engine a while ago . It turned out to be the 90 Amp fuse on the starter . This square box shape fuse has a bolt through that needs to be snugged up . When it's slightly loose ,the voltage drops , causing voltage drop below the inhibit level required for the computer. It's more problematic when the engine gets to operating temperature . Use some Neutrol contact cleaner on all engine harness plugs , including the so called weather proofed ones ;) .
The ECM units run around $1200 , so don't mess with those by frying them !

Beer-30
08-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Jim
Oh, like previously mentioned, I wouldn't do anything like that unless it was to limp it into the dock.
You will probably be money ahead to have someone hang a laptop on it. The normal Rhinda hand-held scanner won't show near what the laptop software will. I have heard several stories about boats being scanned with hand-held that showed no problems. Scan with laptop showed two problems.

Chickenlips
08-08-2007, 07:06 AM
I want to thank everyone for your input. I gave this info to my freind. I think he will do what beer30 said about the 50 amp curcuit breaker for $40.00 before he buys the wiring harness for $700.00.
Spectras Only, There isn't much activity on the Spectra Marine site, whats going on?

spectras only
08-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Spectras Only, There isn't much activity on the Spectra Marine site, whats going on?
Brent is too busy finishing his 24 :idea: :) .
I guess Spectra owners are out boating , instead of wasting their time posting :D :D :D