PDA

View Full Version : moral dilemma need advice/opinions

Klinger
08-06-2007, 11:20 AM
so my family has been boating for 30-35 years. my dad bought his first boat when he was 17 and still in high school. 1974 wreidt maverick 455 olds jc pump. it was garaged in perfect condition up untill he sold it when i was 14. both my parents told me they regretted selling the boat and should have given it to me. i seen his old boat in the boat trader 3 years ago called on it and it was sold the day before. so i picked up a hallet and me and my dad built pretty much from scratch. 2 weeks ago im at lost lake and seen his old boat with no cover on it all hammered but i reconized it immediatley and talked to the owners buddy who said he's willing to sell the boat.
so my question is, do i sell my boat and get the boat i learned to ski behind and grew up in or do i keep the boat i have now and am happy with. what would you do??

ck7684
08-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Sounds like a personal decision, but sentimental value can carry a lot of weight with some people. Sounds like you n yr dad built your current boat from scratch so it would have this value too, at least some although the "today" things dont seem as much so as the "yesterday" things...It's all up to you :idea:
If you happen to be looking for a new project it sounds like this would be the perfect choice...

IMPATIENT 1
08-06-2007, 12:00 PM
i'd sell my tx is a split second if i could get my dad's ole jet back, but its in a deep lake in ark. somewhere now i hear:( been at the bottom for a decade or more:mad:

lucky
08-06-2007, 12:00 PM
so my family has been boating for 30-35 years. my dad bought his first boat when he was 17 and still in high school. 1974 wreidt maverick 455 olds jc pump. it was garaged in perfect condition up untill he sold it when i was 14. both my parents told me they regretted selling the boat and should have given it to me. i seen his old boat in the boat trader 3 years ago called on it and it was sold the day before. so i picked up a hallet and me and my dad built pretty much from scratch. 2 weeks ago im at lost lake and seen his old boat with no cover on it all hammered but i reconized it immediatley and talked to the owners buddy who said he's willing to sell the boat.
so my question is, do i sell my boat and get the boat i learned to ski behind and grew up in or do i keep the boat i have now and am happy with. what would you do??
who says you have to have one boat ? keep yours - and learn from your parents mistake :D

76 Bonneville
08-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Have your dad buy it back and you help him restore it.:D

Unchained
08-06-2007, 12:18 PM
For me there's not much sentimental value to any toys, houses, properties, etc.
It's all reduced to dollars and cents.
I'd sell any or all for a fair price and build another.
Sentimental things are reserved for family and friends. :D
You say the old boat is hammered. If you put thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of time in it and are way upside down in value, the sentimental part of it may not be as important to you then.
The real sentimental value was the quality time you spent with your dad.

IMPATIENT 1
08-06-2007, 01:05 PM
The real sentimental value was the quality time you spent with your dad
ya nailed it! i could give a shiat about my dad's ole jet, its the memories we had together in it i'd like to hold onto too. i tell my twins sons(8yrs) that someday they'll think back on all the long nites we spend in my shop and think they were the best of times. can't wait till they're men and we can set and talk as men:) drink a few:D but i'm in no real hurry for them to get to that point:D

jetboat
08-06-2007, 01:17 PM
just sold a week ago the boat my son and i restored.it was a great trying time and wonderfull spending it with my son.then bought another to do it again.its the quality time us dads take iwith our sons and daughters to do things together.have your dad and you split the cost and go for it.