PDA

View Full Version : 45 degree launch issues

Miah
04-30-2003, 10:44 PM
I have a 18' HydroStream V-King with a jackplate and a 225 HP Merc on it. The motor is a tad too big for this boat, as you might have guessed. With the motor trimmed all the way down, this thing stands way up in the air on takeoff. It comes down at about 20 or so, then the front bounces until I hit 35-40. Do I just need a pair of fins on the motor? Should I maybe put some weight in the front of the boat to keep it down.. sorry if this is a dumb question, but this'll be only my second year with a 70+ boat. Thanks for the help.

Boat Racer
05-01-2003, 02:32 AM
I think their is two or maybe three things you need to do
(1) add a plate to the motor, I'm not much on those fins you purchase, I'll post a picture of what I did
(2) to get out of the bouncing, the motor needs to be raised up, it's too low in the water.. This will also help your problem with the launch.
(3) if raising the motor up causes you to loose water pressure, you'll need to add a lower water pick up,if you don't have one...
I hope the boat has a jack plate, this will make raising the motor easier, and give you some set back...
Here's the plate!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/344motorplate.jpg

HavasuDreamin'
05-01-2003, 06:03 AM
Boat Racer..........I have heard your style of plate will slow a boat down. I am not sure exactly who manufactures it, but I know Baker Marine out of Antioch, IL sells a plate that does not extend past the end of the gear case. Rather it is mounted directly above the prop and extends out the sides slightly before turning down slightly. I believe it is a drag plate. At any rate, having the plate extend out the rear decrease speed as a result of the water being thrown from the prop hitting the plate.

HavasuDreamin'
05-01-2003, 06:08 AM
Miah:
I have a 18' HydroStream V-King with a jackplate and a 225 HP Merc on it. The motor is a tad too big for this boat, as you might have guessed. With the motor trimmed all the way down, this thing stands way up in the air on takeoff. It comes down at about 20 or so, then the front bounces until I hit 35-40. Do I just need a pair of fins on the motor? Should I maybe put some weight in the front of the boat to keep it down.. sorry if this is a dumb question, but this'll be only my second year with a 70+ boat. Thanks for the help. Your motor isn't too big, I see 280hp + motors on those boats all the time. You should look into several areas.
1. Weight distribution? Is your gas tank mounted on the transom? Can you move it forward 12" - 18" or more w/o too much trouble?
2. Add a plate (fin) to it. I would purchase the plate I described above from Baker Marine in Antioch, IL.
3. If you don't have a nose cone/LWP combo, ship your gearcase to Bob's Machine shop in FL. and have them add one. Then you can run your prop shaft about even with the bottom of the boat.
Good Luck.

Miah
05-01-2003, 06:09 AM
Thank you much for the advise everyone. I do have a jack plate on this, and plan on raising the motor.. it looks like it's been lowered in the past. I have a water pressure gauge installed also, I'll keep an eye on coolant that way.
Great board!
Thanks again!