PDA

View Full Version : Jet boats w/ Blowers?

cave
08-06-2007, 05:17 PM
You guys that run them, do you use a Super Chiller? If you do, do you split the water from the pump to the blower/super chiller & the engine?

MR V
08-06-2007, 05:23 PM
why you asking, we going to change yours out.

cyclone
08-06-2007, 05:41 PM
A superchiller is a good idea if you plan on driving the boat any distance. and you ought to give the chiller its own regulated water source because the gaskets tend to blow out over 25 psi.
best thing to do is to drill and tap the bowl of the jet pump for the second water pickup. worked good for me in the past. i wouldnt t-off of the engine's water line from the suction housing.

wet77
08-06-2007, 05:44 PM
I am running a blower shop intercooler and the water comes in from the pump then to a HI-Tech water valve where the low psi goes to the motor and the dump from the valve goes into a #12 then to a T where 2 #10 lines go into the intercooler in the front and 2 lines out the back and overboard.
Hope this helps;)

Jbb
08-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Hmm I was thinking that a pickup at the bottom of the transom was best......water only going thru the chiller when your moving.......If you tap the pump......and idle around for an extended time.....will that not lead to fuel puddling?

1968Droptop
08-06-2007, 05:53 PM
I am running a blower shop intercooler and the water comes in from the pump then to a HI-Tech water valve where the low psi goes to the motor............
Don't mean to highjack your thread Cave. wet77, do you leave your inlet shut off valve wide open ? I purchased a water pressure relief from CP, doesn't work at all :mad:. I thought it was supposed to dump excessive pressure, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I left my inlet valve open, and it just pegs my water pressure gauge. Right now I'm going to old fashioned way, reducing water pressure by closing the inlet valve. I really like the idea of a pressure dump, if it worked.

DMOORE
08-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Hmm I was thinking that a pickup at the bottom of the transom was best......water only going thru the chiller when your moving.......If you tap the pump......and idle around for an extended time.....will that not lead to fuel puddling?
I don't have a jet, but this is the way the chillers on my motors are set up. Works great.
Darrell.

Cheyenne580
08-06-2007, 06:00 PM
A superchiller is a good idea if you plan on driving the boat any distance. and you ought to give the chiller its own regulated water source because the gaskets tend to blow out over 25 psi.
best thing to do is to drill and tap the bowl of the jet pump for the second water pickup. worked good for me in the past. i wouldnt t-off of the engine's water line from the suction housing.
Ya what he said!!!!!:)
Jim

wet77
08-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Don't mean to highjack your thread Cave. wet77, do you leave your inlet shut off valve wide open ? I purchased a water pressure relief from CP, doesn't work at all :mad:. I thought it was supposed to dump excessive pressure, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I left my inlet valve open, and it just pegs my water pressure gauge. Right now I'm going to old fashioned way, reducing water pressure by closing the inlet valve. I really like the idea of a pressure dump, if it worked.
I run a gate valve to the motor after the pressure valve and its only open about 1 turn, I get little to no water at idle through the intercooler and when the rpm goes up so does the intercooler flow, no fuel puddling problem yet;)
Motor runs around 160-180 depending on water temp.
Check with Duane at HTP when he sent the valve originaly it came pre-set and I never messed with it. Worked great from day one.
Maybe CP's valve is not pre-set and needs adjustment:confused:
On my non- blower setup last year the water from the valve just dumped overboard but now with the blower it goes through the intercooler first.;)

McIntyrelocal
08-06-2007, 08:42 PM
what do yo guys consider to long to run without a chiller

cyclone
08-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Motor is hot whether at idle or not. i never had any fuel puddling problems. my intake manifold had the tented floor so that likely helped.

cyclone
08-06-2007, 08:53 PM
depends on how hard your blower is working. on my motor i had the blower spinning 22% over on gas. it created a lot of hot air so the chiller worked great.
if you're blower is underdriven its still making hot air but not nearly as hot as something that's over driven.
i think in either case if you are driving for miles at a time a superchiller is a great part to have.

cave
08-06-2007, 09:07 PM
The Simplest way would be to add a pick up. I dont like that idea. Drilling into the bottom of the hull just doesnt seam right unless its a V drive.
Cyclone where did you tap it at 180° from the engine inlet or above or below??? Any pictures.
Jim Who tapped your bowl? Jett? That just don't sound right :jawdrop: :D but seriously.
Mr V you know whats up.lol. Got to get a hull for your engine. Looks like we have a busy winter this year. Lets see Pull that extra blower off at the Tempe pad :D :D :D Find out where to tap the pump bowl and and and.

DEL51
08-06-2007, 09:15 PM
I wonder where the idea of fuel puddling came from? On a blower engine the atomization and heat and other crap shouldn't allow this. My MPD pump with a single -8 outlet feeds everything, too much. Working on this with various oarfice sizes and do not want a valve for everything just one inlet. Check out the pressure gauge post from DEL51. Cyclone, I watched the previous build and considered the second inlet seriously. Any input on stainers? I am usuing a nice bypass from duane and it works. I need a bigger thru hull dump to balance the system, among other things. I will post more on my paticular system when its dialed in. I guess puddling would occur at what speed? maybe 20? I am asking. DEL

Moose
08-06-2007, 09:30 PM
I thought SuperChillers are rated up to 50 psi?.

cyclone
08-06-2007, 09:32 PM
I wonder where the idea of fuel puddling came from? On a blower engine the atomization and heat and other crap shouldn't allow this. My MPD pump with a single -8 outlet feeds everything, too much. Working on this with various oarfice sizes and do not want a valve for everything just one inlet. Check out the pressure gauge post from DEL51. Cyclone, I watched the previous build and considered the second inlet seriously. Any input on stainers? I am usuing a nice bypass from duane and it works. I need a bigger thru hull dump to balance the system, among other things. I will post more on my paticular system when its dialed in. I guess puddling would occur at what speed? maybe 20? I am asking. DEL
I ran two water pressure regulators. one for the chiller and one for the engine. each one had its own feel line. one from the bowl nd one from the suction housing. never had a problem with this set up.
i've also heard good things about the bypass system as well.

cave
08-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks Dragboats. I already have a prime jet tapped in that same spot. I suppose I could tap the side or would that matter?
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j107/cave13/Prime-A-Jet.jpg

djdtpr
08-07-2007, 09:01 AM
I used to run my blown gas deal at 25-28 over and didnt run a cooler. There were times when we went to a couple different boating deals and had to drive a few miles up river and my blower would get so hot that if you splashed water on it it would sizzle. After a mile or so i could feel it getting hot and starting to get lazy. What are you planning on spinning the blower at? I spin my new blower at almost thirty over with no cooler and it never even warms up in fact it will get all frosty and ice up on the outside. But i dont run gas either that stuffs to expensive.:D

wet77
08-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Cave, here is a pic of that valve from HI-TECH
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36632&stc=1&d=1186522711

pw_Tony
08-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Don't mean to thread jack but....
I was planning on running a 6-71, non intercooled(dont got the money for one) and it's got nylon strips on the rotors. Should I maybe take them out to cut down on heat? Not a drag boat at all, it'll be a really mild set-up, and I usually run about 18miles up river, and then 18 miles down... any suggestions or maybe it could be ok?

pw_Tony
08-07-2007, 06:42 PM
If you intend on running pump gas and plan on getting any power from the blower in a jet you are looking for trouble with detonation, you will either burn the top ring gland or the valve relief area on the piston...
You either pay the money in the front, or in the back end but your going to pay:D This will most likely occur while you are on the cruise and not WOT... Altitude and many other factors need to be known in my HO....
Motor is 8:1. Mostly boat at Martinez, which is probably around 300ft altitude, not sure of it's corrected altitude, dry and hot. Planning on about 4lbs. Support at BDS told me I would be able to run 87 octane. But I don't trust many support places at all. So would it help to take out the nylon strips?

moneysucker
08-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Psycho squid drilled the ride plate and installed a v-drive intake to a #10 or 12 line to feed the cooler. He had a pressure dump as well I believe. PM him for details and if no response, PM me for his #.
Cy

cave
08-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. Lots of good info here. Its going to be a busy winter...

wet77
08-08-2007, 02:39 AM
If you intend on running pump gas and plan on getting any power from the blower in a jet you are looking for trouble with detonation, you will either burn the top ring gland or the valve relief area on the piston...
You either pay the money in the front, or in the back end but your going to pay:D This will most likely occur while you are on the cruise and not WOT... Altitude and many other factors need to be known in my HO....
Right on!
I run 93 on one tank only up to 4900 rev limiter then switch electronicaly over to a 7000 rev and to the other tank of 110 octane turbo blue.
Fuel is pricey but I would rather pay at the pump and not have a melted motor:devil:

cave
08-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Wet77 How do you jet for both 93 & 110? Dial A jet?

VDRIVERACING
09-28-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm confused... and this might make it worse...
I run 8-71 at 3% over, about 8lbs boost. Use 110 race gas, 34 degrees timing, no cooler, flat out for 10-20 miles at a time. No detonation.
I DO make sure there is plenty of fuel feeding that beast. Someone said better fat. Should puff a little black when idling, then clean out when ya hit it.