PDA

View Full Version : NJBA Rules Change 2007

Willis
08-07-2007, 05:58 AM
Hello People,
The NJBA will have their annual rule change meeting soon.
The hot topic is for all blower motors to have blower restraints.
Do you think carbureted blown engines need restraints???
Let me know how you want this to unfold.
Remember, if you don’t want these types of changes, let me know and I’ll make sure your voice is heard!!!
Please respond if you are a NJBA member only, Thanks
There may be others that I do not know about yet, so talk to the NJBA rep who represents your concerns, Jets, V Drives, Capsules, Hydros, Flats

boat030
08-07-2007, 06:48 AM
It was my understanding that this rule was already changed and that if a boat had a blower it has to have restraints to race in sept. it would be nice to know the truth on this as i just had a guy order some so we could put them on his boat before the next race. And just so you have my 2cents blower restraints on a blower motor with carbs is a joke

JR131
08-07-2007, 07:13 AM
i guess it will still be a joke when you get hit in the back of the head with the blower
yea yea i know you cant possibly get enough boost to launch the blower but if the board wants it then we should step up and comply
jr

boat030
08-07-2007, 07:52 AM
I don't really care much either way i would just like to know before time and money are wasted

FuelInMyVeins82
08-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Straps arent a bad idea for the racer who will be out there every time. But what about the river racer who is just wanting to run his boat and see what it does and then possibly step up into a class from there. Is he required to run straps as well?

Moose
08-07-2007, 10:11 AM
It was my understanding that this rule was already changed and that if a boat had a blower it has to have restraints to race in sept. it would be nice to know the truth on this as i just had a guy order some so we could put them on his boat before the next race. And just so you have my 2cents blower restraints on a blower motor with carbs is a joke
I was told that the rules can't be changed mid way thru the season. Any rule
change had to be voted on, thus making the blower restraints on carbed blown motors not in effect this (2007) season.
I personaly don't think they are needed on most carbed blown motors. We have been running River Racer this year to try to get the boat dailed in and are only runnuing 10-11 lbs boost. If we come back next year and step up to the pro class where most are running 15+ lbs boost or are Injected then I would agree restraints are needed. If the rules say we have to have them next season then we will comply to what ever the NJBA has set down.
Moose ( Mad Moose Racing )

pw_Tony
08-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Thinking of you guys when I saw this video:D :D
http://www.comegetyousome.com/viewvid.php?id=869

pce680
08-07-2007, 11:06 AM
I was told that the rules can't be changed mid way thru the season. Any rule
change had to be voted on, thus making the blower restraints on carbed blown motors not in effect this (2007) season.
I personaly don't think they are needed on most carbed blown motors. We have been running River Racer this year to try to get the boat dailed in and are only runnuing 10-11 lbs boost. If we come back next year and step up to the pro class where most are running 15+ lbs boost or are Injected then I would agree restraints are needed. If the rules say we have to have them next season then we will comply to what ever the NJBA has set down.
Moose ( Mad Moose Racing )
Rule changes concerning safety can be changed by the board at anytime.
Be carefull.Some rule changes will effect the boat count.

Willis
08-07-2007, 11:13 AM
People,
When I first started racing the cost of the safety equipment put a severe hurt on my pocket book.
However, the first time I need the pop off to work and it did, I was happy I spent the money and the equipment was there!!
I knew when to added safety features without being told, but I was advised by all who watched me add power.
:messedup:
Well like any topic, this one will have pro and con opinions. I think most racers who really want to make serious power will know what safety equipment is required.
But, let us know what you think NJBA people.

FuelInMyVeins82
08-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Thinking of you guys when I saw this video:D :D
holy shit that guy is lucky.

boat030
08-07-2007, 11:20 AM
So, are we required before the september race to put blower restraints on blower motors with carbs or not?

Willis
08-07-2007, 11:25 AM
030. that be no
Only if the engine is injected!!!
The NJBA has not addressed that yet, the current rule allows boats with carbs to compete without them

Willis
08-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Ron,
Is the Hydro ready?

boat030
08-07-2007, 11:43 AM
030. that be no
Only if the engine is injected!!!
The NJBA has not addressed that yet, the current rule allows boats with carbs to compete without them
Good thanks :D

BUSBY
08-07-2007, 11:46 AM
The blower restraint issue is an area of discussion w/ NJBA . I had to go back and tell Moose I was sorry, as I was incorrect in stating that all blown boats needed restraints to him (and Mrs. Moose). Currently, the rulebook states that blown injected motors require restraints.
Just for clarification, rules concerning safety can be changed throughout the year if the board votes on it and it is agreed that it is a valid safety concern.
As far as getting new rules into the rule book, or suggested rule changes ... you need to be an NJBA member and your suggestion needs to be submitted in writing or in person to the board during the September meeting per NJBA's bylaws.
Willis, you're stirring a hornet's nest here ... aren't we supposed to refrain from posting here about NJBA business? :confused:

BUSBY
08-07-2007, 11:54 AM
If you want my personal opinion, I've seen blown carb motors backfire and pop a blower (not as big as that video clip) ... just because you're not running a lot of boost, that doesn't mean the guy next to you isn't.
Do you want to take the chance in trusting everyone else's tune up? Not me.
Who's gonna be the one to tell the Wife, Husband, Mother, Father, or whatever if someone gets hurt because a blown carb motor doesn't need restraints ... when it did?
Shoot, you can get good used ones from Good Vibrations for about $100 ... they're not that expensive ...
my personal opinion for what it's worth.
The members and/or board will vote in whatever they think is appropriate.
I think burst panels on nitrous motors is a bigger issue :confused:

Moose
08-07-2007, 02:12 PM
The blower restraint issue is an area of discussion w/ NJBA . I had to go back and tell Moose I was sorry, as I was incorrect in stating that all blown boats needed restraints to him (and Mrs. Moose). Currently, the rulebook states that blown injected motors require restraints.
BUSBY, Thanks for Maning up and coming over to admit you where wrong (althought I knew I was right :D ). I will go along with what ever the NJBA rules are, but we have to have some notification in advance ie: News letter or on the NJBA web site. What got me upset was, when I was told at the race, in the stagging lane, that the rules had changed. After towing doubles for 7 hrs one way and then told the rules had changed, well needless to say I was a little :mad: :mad: :mad: . It's not like you can run over to Kragen and pic up a set of restaints.
I'm not trying to debate or argue with anyone, just giving my $.02 worth.
Moose

bp
08-07-2007, 05:36 PM
Rule changes concerning safety can be changed by the board at anytime.
yes ron, but who says this is a safety issue, and not just an "opinion" that mushroomed out of control?
willis, as a voting member, to vote on this or have any reasonable discussion, i'd like to know what the manufacturers recommendations are for carbed blowers. we had a rule outlawing throttle stops for years, even though all manufacturer's recommended them. manufacturer's recommendations should be foundation for the discussion, as well as running history, not "opinions".
junior, anything can be blown up, turned into a grenade, if it's not assembled properly.
030, no sd?

Cs19
08-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Nice tune up on that one...Freakin hillbillys

pce680
08-08-2007, 06:47 AM
yes ron, but who says this is a safety issue, and not just an "opinion" that mushroomed out of control?
willis, as a voting member, to vote on this or have any reasonable discussion, i'd like to know what the manufacturers recommendations are for carbed blowers. we had a rule outlawing throttle stops for years, even though all manufacturer's recommended them. manufacturer's recommendations should be foundation for the discussion, as well as running history, not "opinions".
junior, anything can be blown up, turned into a grenade, if it's not assembled properly.
030, no sd?
What does throttle stops have to do with blower restraints ?
And yes blower restraints are a safety device.
Also if a blower is going to explode,it doesn't know if it has a injector or a
carb sitting on top of it.

bp
08-08-2007, 08:35 AM
What does throttle stops have to do with blower restraints ?
sometimes rules have been created without due diligence, which was the point.
And yes blower restraints are a safety device.
Also if a blower is going to explode,it doesn't know if it has a injector or a
carb sitting on top of it.
well, my ford lightning came from the factory without blower restraints, so i guess i should sue 'em? except i sold that, and now have a truck with a turbo on it, and the turbo doesn't have any restraints either, so should all diesel truck owners sue the manufacturer for neglecting safety?
all i'm saying is that due diligence with manufacturers might be enlightening. it's not the '70s anymore ron, it's 2007, and manufacturers don't just toss stuff out on the road without knowing they can be held liable. as i mentioned before, anything can be put together improperly to make it unsafe, or blow up. sometimes, blow up several times.

bp
08-08-2007, 08:40 AM
another example. ballistic shorts. the manufacturer always had 'em, but there were no rules in place requiring them. until tom bogdanich's deal 7-8 years ago. then people listened to the manufacturer's input, and rules were adopted by all org's for safety reasons.
all i'm suggesting is that manufacturer's be consulted, and their recommendations considered.

boat030
08-08-2007, 11:11 AM
030, no sd?
nope I'll be at Ming

BUSBY
08-08-2007, 12:01 PM
all i'm suggesting is that manufacturer's be consulted, and their recommendations considered
Thanks for the input ... I took your advice and called Dennis Taylor with Taylor Motorsports ( http://www.taylormotorsports.com/ ) and the SFI Foundation ( http://www.sfifoundation.com/ )...
Dennis said that each sanctioning body is responsible for their own safety rules. He did state that NHRA now requires that ALL blowers regardless of what's used for the introduction of fuel to the engine run restraints. Basically if it has a blower, it follows the 14.1 SFI restraint specs at minimum.
So we move onto SFI ... SFI's spec 14.1 is the top plate and straps, no bag.
So, the mfg, NHRA & SFI have all come to terms that blowers need restraints ... IMO it's time for NJBA's board to choose is they think it's what is safe for our events.
Everyone knows what I think, but it takes a majority vote to make it pass ... not just one.

pce680
08-08-2007, 01:26 PM
sometimes rules have been created without due diligence, which was the point.
well, my ford lightning came from the factory without blower restraints, so i guess i should sue 'em? except i sold that, and now have a truck with a turbo on it, and the turbo doesn't have any restraints either, so should all diesel truck owners sue the manufacturer for neglecting safety?
all i'm saying is that due diligence with manufacturers might be enlightening. it's not the '70s anymore ron, it's 2007, and manufacturers don't just toss stuff out on the road without knowing they can be held liable. as i mentioned before, anything can be put together improperly to make it unsafe, or blow up. sometimes, blow up several times.
Your quote makes no sense at all. I guess with your logic,Willis will have to put a hood over his motor and maybe a firewall too.
Were talking about roots blowers,right behind the driver.
We didn't have restraints in the 70's.Capsules either.Thats the point.

blownjet
08-08-2007, 07:07 PM
thank you willis for bringing this up and thanks for your help last race I agree with you and I hope this rule does not go thru, im all about safety as well but come on 10 pounds of boost on a river boat with carbs.