PDA

View Full Version : my human resources department is full of idiots

a catered life
08-07-2007, 07:55 AM
after a 2 year battle for them to fix a major issue with my managers last june they decide to take the bone head move of the year and demote some of my managers...they were looking to shave some money anyway but we never asked for more money but the idiots downtown thought we wanted more money:confused: ..so now they decided to demote managers and with this move they would have to demote or fire two union members:( (teamsters were pissed but hands were tied)....first they tried to do it by senority :mad: but when they figured out even though i had 14 years in i was going to be one of the 2 to be demoted:eek: they back-tracked..they re-thought their plans and came up with doing it by job duties everyone had been doing for the past two years:confused: ...since i was one of two leads i was now safe...but since my GF is one of the other managers (yes we work for the same school district in the same position) she got demoted effective this coming september....that was going to cost us $6,000 over 10 months ...so i told my boss since i wanted to quit anyway i do not have plans on returning this coming september...(this would allow her to promote up to my position);) within 2 days they offered me a fulltime position for this summer at my regular salary (i was orginially scheduled to be off one month and was suppose to make $3 less a hour), they offered me a 12 month stipend, and as of this morning she has been reinstated to her old position...gotta love public education
to make the whole story crazier i had one manager quit this summer and after all this BS no one is demoted except two cooks (union members) :eek: that were caught up in this mess

JetBoatRich
08-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Funny how it works out Willie:rolleyes:

River Lynchmob
08-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Aren't all HR departments a waste of time, money and personel? All they do is add overhead and suck from the bottom line.

havaduner
08-07-2007, 04:58 PM
That has to be the longest sentence I have ever read.

coolchange
08-07-2007, 05:13 PM
That has to be the longest sentence I have ever read.
lmao! But... since it doesn't start with a capital or end with a period is it really a sentence?

scooooter7
08-07-2007, 06:25 PM
No penalty...No sentence.

thatguy
08-07-2007, 06:39 PM
lmao! But... since it doesn't start with a capital or end with a period is it really a sentence?
He said "school district", not a teacher?
Anyway, that is about right for most HR's. At least ones without intelligent, 1 person leadership.
I worked for an oil drilling outfit that was a subsidiary of a larger corp. 9 subsidiaries in all. From drilling to real estate investing.
On paper, it made sense to merge all 9 HR's to one that covered all the different companies. In practice it was a disaster since the companies were so diverse in nature. Took about 3 months and a huge loss before they switched back.
Tommy

JetBoatRich
08-07-2007, 10:28 PM
like the grammer checks:D

Scapegoat1
08-07-2007, 10:46 PM
My hotel I work for ain't no different As a sup I went to HR concerning an employee and ask for advise how to handle it. They gave me their suggestions and with in a week my boss wrote me up twice since these were his favorites. I told him to take this job and shove and blame HR for the whole ordeal. Further complained to corp of all their incompetence(sp). needless to say i am still their doing a fantastic job.:D

a catered life
08-08-2007, 09:05 AM
:sqeyes: being a little rough arent we
grammer checks are for wimps:D
and i called you my friend last night:D

talkinghead
08-08-2007, 05:50 PM
In 99% of all cases - HR is NOT on your side!

a catered life
08-09-2007, 06:41 AM
agreed ours is in bed with the unions:confused:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
08-09-2007, 06:55 AM
Aren't all HR departments a waste of time, money and personel? All they do is add overhead and suck from the bottom line.
I am an HR manager. I love my job and the work I do.
Thanks for you lovely opinions of my profession though. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy. ;)

a catered life
08-09-2007, 06:58 AM
Thanks for you lovely opinions of my profession though. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy. ;)
i only have issue with mine and the really bad part is i work for a public school district....yes public money....outside of this crappy department i have had a great working relationship with HR
and fyi...i start classes for my masters degree in HR later this month...:D

91nordic29
08-09-2007, 07:06 AM
I know you meant grammar...lol;)

Mrs. Bordsmnj
08-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Actually, I don't think I could be HR for something like a school district. I am HR for a 110 employee geology firm. There are minimal politics and bullshit. I honestly do my best to make things work out for the employees. I am one of the employees.
Good luck with your masters. HR is a great profession in the right company.
:)

a catered life
08-09-2007, 07:37 AM
I know you meant grammar...lol;)
lmao nice gotta love'm :)
yea school district are hard...you have to deal with some of the strongest unions in the state, lazy employees protected by the unions, major fraud and red tape up the wazoo:eek: not too mention the over paid levels of most of the upper management in school districts....i know i have my hands fun:(

River Lynchmob
08-09-2007, 07:51 AM
That doesn't mean aren't a cool person :D

Mrs. Bordsmnj
08-09-2007, 07:54 AM
That doesn't mean aren't a cool person :D
I am just hassling you. ;)
And yes, I am quite cool, aren't I? LOL ;)

River Lynchmob
08-09-2007, 08:40 AM
I am just hassling you. ;)
And yes, I am quite cool, aren't I? LOL ;)
I know you are don't worry...good sense of humor here, I can give it and take it...thought I prefer to give :D

andy01
08-09-2007, 09:34 AM
HR people are just a little different, they view everything in a "exposher" kind of way. Law and only the law.
Oh my wife is a Sr. HR Rep. / PHR
I've seen and heard it all. As you whinny employees complain about the HR peps, your just like people getting a speeding ticket. Ya hate cops for tickets....... but if some bad guy breaks into your house your calling the cops and can't wait to see them....... if your pay check, benefits or manager are F'd up your calling HR and all of a sudden you can't wait to see HR........:D :D
Andy

Scapegoat1
08-09-2007, 10:52 AM
HR in my Hotel is pathetic, they demoted the as. Dir. of Housekeeping with out informing her nor the Director. The as. found out on the job posting and later inquired. They were like yah we demoted you just forgot to tell you.
I urged her to consult legal advice but she doesn't want to make waves. Shit she just took a 20G pay cut.

Mrs Andy01
08-09-2007, 11:31 AM
You know what's funny ... is you guys go home and complain about how stupid your HR department is and we go home and complain about our bonehead, whiny employees.
I guess we all gotta complain about something in life.
Also, as a side note - in all the HR departments I've worked in - decisions such as termiantion, demotion, promotion, hiring, etc... are made by both department management and HR. It's not like we have a crystal ball in our offices and sit back and try to determine who's life we can f-up that day...
I love my job - like Linda - I work with employees to resolve situations & make things better, because I'm an employee too and know how I would want to be treated.

Biglue
08-09-2007, 12:05 PM
You know what's funny ... is you guys go home and complain about how stupid your HR department is and we go home and complain about our bonehead, whiny employees.
I guess we all gotta complain about something in life.
Also, as a side note - in all the HR departments I've worked in - decisions such as termiantion, demotion, promotion, hiring, etc... are made by both department management and HR. It's not like we have a crystal ball in our offices and sit back and try to determine who's life we can f-up that day...
I love my job - like Linda - I work with employees to resolve situations & make things better, because I'm an employee too and know how I would want to be treated.
Very well put.
If it wasn't for having an HR department, managers would die in just the personnel side of their jobs. I spend a good third of my time on just employee stuff just about every week. That does not include maintaining benefits, payroll, and other things like that. Not only that, HR can be the "boogie man" when you're a manager. If you are an problem or high maintenance employee, I just treat it as "once this issue get's to HR", it's out of my hands. Works out great, because most employees don't want to lose their positions. Just my .02.

MR HARLEY
08-09-2007, 12:11 PM
All this guy does is complain. :rolleyes:

Mrs Andy01
08-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Very well put.
If it wasn't for having an HR department, managers would die in just the personnel side of their jobs. I spend a good third of my time on just employee stuff just about every week. That does not include maintaining benefits, payroll, and other things like that. Not only that, HR can be the "boogie man" when you're a manager. If you are an problem or high maintenance employee, I just treat it as "once this issue get's to HR", it's out of my hands. Works out great, because most employees don't want to lose their positions. Just my .02.
Yeah, we are often made the scape goat by managers. Managers deflect the pressure they're feeling by their employees onto HR, "You know, normally I would give you another chance, but HR said I can't." or "You don't want me to go to HR with this issue do you?" or "Once HR gets involved, this will be come part of your "permanent" record".
I guess I take the good with the bad, and when the bad starts outweighing the good - it's time to change jobs! ;)

Biglue
08-09-2007, 12:33 PM
All this guy does is complain. :rolleyes:
I've noticed that trend myself. :sleeping:
How the hell are you Craig?
Yeah, we are often made the scape goat by managers. Managers deflect the pressure they're feeling by their employees onto HR, "You know, normally I would give you another chance, but HR said I can't." or "You don't want me to go to HR with this issue do you?" or "Once HR gets involved, this will be come part of your "permanent" record".
I guess I take the good with the bad, and when the bad starts outweighing the good - it's time to change jobs! ;)
LOL, yeah I hear you. That was just the typical "every day" description of HR around here. There has been a few cases where there is legal gray areas and other more complicated issues where our HR manager just shined for me. Overall our HR manager is outstanding. I once had to fire a woman supervisor that worked for me. She had one arm and was believed to be gay. Imagine that walk in the park. Glad I had HR then. LOL
Welcome aboard BTW.

Mrs Andy01
08-09-2007, 12:48 PM
I've noticed that trend myself. :sleeping:
How the hell are you Craig?
LOL, yeah I hear you. That was just the typical "every day" description of HR around here. There has been a few cases where there is legal gray areas and other more complicated issues where our HR manager just shined for me. Overall our HR manager is outstanding. I once had to fire a woman supervisor that worked for me. She had one arm and was believed to be gay. Imagine that walk in the park. Glad I had HR then. LOL
Welcome aboard BTW.
LOL about the woman supervisor. Triple protected classes are never fun - but sometimes the most necessary!! :-)
Thanks for the welcome too!

Biglue
08-09-2007, 12:52 PM
LOL about the woman supervisor. Triple protected classes are never fun - but sometimes the most necessary!! :-)
Thanks for the welcome too!
Even with her physical limitation she was still a very capable individual. She didn't mind getting her hands dirty (figure of speech). She jumped right into anything and everything. It was her outlook and mentality that was most detrimental.

Screemy1
08-09-2007, 01:36 PM
what district??? I am at the H S.... you have to be sucking someone off to get anywhere...... and for the top.... hell they just use their own consulting co to get more money out of the district.... damb greed, and school boards that have no clue or are in on it.......

Desert Rat
08-09-2007, 04:12 PM
:sqeyes: being a little rough arent we
grammer checks are for wimps:D
and i called you my friend last night:D
What position were you two in:sqeyes: :D