PDA

View Full Version : Motor Height

wideopen23
05-20-2003, 01:38 PM
What is the standard height from the bottom of the pad to where to prop should be. I think I have mine a little low but not sure.
Thanks for the help....

Boat Racer
05-20-2003, 03:56 PM
Mine is right at the center of the drain plug...
That puts it at 2-3" above the pad... It really depends on hull type,(i'd think)....

TIMEBOMB
05-20-2003, 05:35 PM
There are several factors to think about. Set back how much do have? Propeller type? Lower unit type? Nose cone with low water pickup? I have 20 total inches of setback (including the jack plate) and run the center of the prop shaft even with the bottom of the center pod. I also run a low water pickup cle lower. I have found that if I go any higher the water pressure drops and the prop ventilates when I first come up on plane. Good luck and watch the temp and pressure. Don't want to lunch out a motor trying to get that extra 3-4 mph. burningm (trust me I am waiting for pistons right now) What part of Tempe are you in. I grew up at Mclintock and Baseline.
Later, Gary.

wideopen23
05-21-2003, 08:04 AM
Thanks guys for the help. I am running 6 inches of setback but I dont have a jackplate so I am trying to set the motor where it will be most effective out of the whole and top end. I dont have a LWP as of yet but down the road.
Timebomb I live at Guadalupe and Kyrene area.
Are you still in Chandler?

TIMEBOMB
05-21-2003, 01:57 PM
Yep still in Chandler. I would invest in at least a mechanical jackplate. Run both the setback and the jackplate. That will allow you to run less postitive trim to get/keep the nose of the boat up. Faster hole shot, because of negative trim and more top end with the less positive trim. Power jakcplates are nice because you can adjust the height as you are moving. Still you need to watch the water pressure and temp to make sure you don't starve the water pump and overheat the motor. Look up C.M.C powerlift(Cook mfg) Later, Gary

wideopen23
05-21-2003, 04:11 PM
Thanks Gary, yea I would really like to have a hydraulic jackplate but the money right now isnt there. I might just go pick up a manuel plate just to mess with it they arent to expensive.
What kind of boat are you running now? Do you hit the lakes around here at all?
Justin

TIMEBOMB
05-22-2003, 01:37 PM
Once I get the motor all back together, we usally go to Saguaro/Canyon/Apache, and at least 3-4 times a year to Parker and Havasu. Its a 20 foot Canyon Silouette, they are not made anymore but from what I can gather they were made here in Arizona. It has a 2.4l merc motor. With a little work done to the heads and the gearcase.
Later, Gary

HavasuDreamin'
05-22-2003, 01:55 PM
http://www.cook-mfg.com/

TIMEBOMB
05-22-2003, 02:16 PM
Yeah temp does look good but my pistons are still at the machine shop getting top pinned. The shop is pretty close to you in Aqua Dulce, I guess its near Santa Clarita. Jeff and the Kelly and crew are out at Bartlett camping out over the weekend. They left weds and are at the flats. Have fun and be safe, lots of crazies out there. burningm Gary

Boat Racer
05-22-2003, 05:47 PM
All this boat talk, mine hasn't been off the trailer since the first weekend in November...
And with the work schedule, it may be late June, before I get a weekend....Man, I'm glad I grew up and moved out of Mom & Dad's house...
I got the house, cars, & boats I always wanted, and now I work all the Da$m time!!!! OH well. :mad:
YOU GUYS ENJOY & DRINK ONE FOR ME!!!!!!!LOL

Forkin' Crazy
05-22-2003, 09:24 PM
You really need a jackplate and a water pressure gauge and a water pressure gauge....did I mention you need a water pressure gauge? wink
It took me several tries to get mine right. I jacked it so high the boat would not respond well to trim, I lowered it until it did, and have not touched it since.

randy77zt
05-22-2003, 11:10 PM
got a used 4" jack plate off of my mirage.put a rapid jack 8" on .email if needed.