PDA

View Full Version : Do you boat without insurance? Know someone who does?

iRepo
08-07-2007, 11:06 AM
I was wondering how many people boat without insurance or know someone who does. I don't figure any one would admit that they do, but I bet people would rat out someone they know!!

AirtimeLavey
08-07-2007, 11:11 AM
I was wondering how many people boat without insurance or know someone who does. I don't figure any one would admit that they do, but I bet people would rat out someone they know!!
I wouldn't go w/o insurance, even for when it's just parked in my driveway. I do know guys that have 2+ boats and would be stunned if they have ins. on all or any kind of umbrella. They also own waverunners, bought used.

thatguy
08-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Well, do you know any place that will insure these?
Tommy

superdave013
08-07-2007, 11:17 AM
that's one of the reasons I sold my flatbottom.

RitcheyRch
08-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Could never imagine boating without insurance.

Sleek-Jet
08-07-2007, 11:24 AM
No one will write a policy on my boat... so yeah, I boat without insurance.

pw_Tony
08-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Don't got no insurance here. Don't know who would insure them. And don't boat enough I believe. And where I do, there's usually very low crowded peeps. My father's been boating at the same place for 20 years and haven't had issue either. Now if we were on Havasu or some busy places like Parker I could understand...

thatguy
08-07-2007, 11:26 AM
that's one of the reasons I sold my flatbottom.
And THE reason I don't give rides. And ONLY go on Tuesday-Thursday. And NEVER get remotely close to another boat. And spend most of the day idling around waiting until NO boats are near me.
Tommy

driverno8
08-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Had insurance since day 1. Infact I upped my policy last year just to over cover my ass with all the assholes out there. To much to lose.
As for knowing someone that doesn't have insurance. Yep.

N02 Chevelle
08-07-2007, 11:29 AM
I don't have insurance. No one seems to want to insure a 19 year old with a 19 foot jet boat with a mild 454. Sucks huh. I guees its like giving a 12 year old a box of matches and a can of gas and then him asking for life insurance.

Boatcop
08-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Full coverage, including towing/salvage - $8,000 agreed value.
1975 Spectra 20' - Olds 455 Jet.
Progressive - $188.00 per year

squirt'nmyload
08-07-2007, 11:37 AM
all of you jet and v-drive guys should contact devin wozencraft in the insurance section here... :)

squirt'nmyload
08-07-2007, 11:38 AM
:)

Terminal Velocity
08-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Alan, you don't count because you are a responsible adult. :D

pw_Tony
08-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Your Spectra had an engine cover on it didn't it? I remember lookin at that thing online before I even knew of this site.

HocusPocus
08-07-2007, 11:42 AM
2006 Voyager Tri-toon
2006 Sea doo GTX
i have them set up so only the wife, my father-in-law and i are the only ones covered to drive them.
$120 a year thru progressive.

Old Hawaiian Cruiser
08-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Always have had liability insurance on my boats! Always!
Currently I own a 21' 1976 Hawaiian mini Daycruiser / 460 with Berkeley jet
$85.00 per year = AAA.
OHC

thatguy
08-07-2007, 11:51 AM
They are the only ones who will insure my 5th wheel out of it's registered state full time. I live in it in CO while working. They call it "Full Timers" package. 2007 cougar $1200.00 a year. Wont touch the boats though. Modified w/ OTH.
Tommy

wright27
08-07-2007, 11:54 AM
I have insurance on my WAKEBOARD BOAT.:devil: I do not insure my jet. :eek:

squirt'nmyload
08-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Wont touch the boats though. Modified w/ OTH.
Tommy
call wozencraft!!!!!!!!!!!

thatguy
08-07-2007, 12:06 PM
call wozencraft!!!!!!!!!!!
Will Do! Thank You, Tommy

MR HARLEY
08-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Never, and never without my lifeline jackets. :)

spectras only
08-07-2007, 12:12 PM
I've always insured my boats on agreed value . All risk ,including 2 mil liability. Know some folks with boats capable of 130+ not being able to insure them .I'd hate to learn one day they're in trouble :idea: .I've lost my 1 yr old Moto Guzzi to arson [ 8 vehicles in the area were burned on halloween night :mad: ] back in 1975 .In those days couldn't have fire & theft for stored vehicles :devil: .
The most painful thing was , I had to finish the remaning 2 year old loan :mad:

superdave013
08-07-2007, 12:13 PM
all of you jet and v-drive guys should contact devin wozencraft in the insurance section here... :)
you think even he would have insured this?
I can see it now.
boat make - Hondo
Boat model - HX511
boat year - 1974
boat length - 17'
fuel cap. - 4 gallons - 10 pounds of nitrous
fuel type - gas 118 octaine, nitrous (med grade if you can get it) haha
saftey features - Lifeline parachute hook up, fuel shut off laynard, magnetio kill laynard, Prop release, tee deck so drivers legs do not break when he exits the boat :eek:
horsepower - 330 :rolleyes:
top speed - 63.2 set on kill :D
photos - see attached "whoops" :mad:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/48jpnengine.jpg

R.A.D.man
08-07-2007, 12:18 PM
I have 2 boats, one is fully insured, jet boat is not.

Tom Brown
08-07-2007, 12:21 PM
I dropped my liability insurance as soon as our provincial government brought in the No Fault Insurance Act.
Lots of people, including insurance agents, have told me I'm insane for not having liability insurance on my vehicles. What a bunch of losers. Perhaps nobody noticed there hasn't been a careless driving or vehicular negligence suit in a decade. All of my lawyer friends hate the No Fault Insurance Act but there's little that can be done about it.
The downside of the law is that someone can hit a child, put them in a wheelchair, and not be sued. That puts the cost for the child's medical expenses with the health care system. Worse, it puts the cost for the child's ongoing expenses, such as wheelchair access to schools, wheelchair bus service to school, and these sort of things with the school district. Basically, if a school child in a small town school district becomes paralized or requires some other sort of special care, the school district becomes insolvent and is disolved. It's happened over and over. We're losing the schools in our small towns but I suppose that was the intent, anyway. We've also got some disabled children sitting at home while other school districts argue over who has to take the hot-potato disabled child.
The upside is that I can run my boat 100 mph up a narrow river and run as many people into the reeds as I want. I might be liable for a ticket or two, but I can't be sued for killing someone.
Seriously, this is one of the best places on the planet to do dangerous shit.
Good day, komrades. :cool:

uvindex
08-07-2007, 12:22 PM
I've always insured my boats on agreed value . All risk ,including xxx liability. Know some folks with boats capable of 130+ not being able to insure them .I'd hate to learn one day they're in trouble :idea: .I've lost my 1 yr old Moto Guzzi to arson [ 8 vehicles in the area were burned on halloween night :mad: ] back in 1975 .In those days couldn't have fire & theft for stored vehicles :devil: .
The most painful thing was , I had to finish the remaning 2 year old loan :mad:My insurance company always tells me to never disclose limits of liability. Too many unscrupulous mofos out there. Just a friendly heads-up. :)

Jbb
08-07-2007, 12:23 PM
I dropped my liability insurance as soon as our provincial government brought in the No Fault Insurance Act.
Lots of people, including insurance agents, have told me I'm insane for not having liability insurance on my vehicles. What a bunch of losers. Perhaps nobody noticed there hasn't been a careless driving or vehicular negligence suit in a decade. All of my lawyer friends hate the No Fault Insurance Act but there's little that can be done about it.
The downside of the law is that someone can hit a child, put them in a wheelchair, and not be sued. That puts the cost for the child's medical expenses with the health care system. Worse, it puts the cost for the child's ongoing expenses, such as wheelchair access to schools, wheelchair bus service to school, and these sort of things with the school district. Basically, if a school child in a small town school district becomes paralized or requires some other sort of special care, the school district becomes insolvent and is disolved. It's happened over and over. We're losing the schools in our small towns but I suppose that was the intent, anyway.
The upside is that I can run my boat 100 mph up a narrow river and run as many people into the reeds as I want. I might be liable for a ticket or two, but I can't be sued for killing someone.
Seriously, this is one of the best places on the planet to do dangerous shit.
Good day, komrades. :cool:
Brown is eff'n out of control.....:D

Tom Brown
08-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Brown is eff'n out of control.....:D
May I suggest a Saskatchewan - Winter '07 tour?

squirt'nmyload
08-07-2007, 12:38 PM
you think even he would have insured this?
I can see it now.
boat make - Hondo
Boat model - HX511
boat year - 1974
boat length - 17'
fuel cap. - 4 gallons - 10 pounds of nitrous
fuel type - gas 118 octaine, nitrous (med grade if you can get it) haha
saftey features - Lifeline parachute hook up, fuel shut off laynard, magnetio kill laynard, Prop release, tee deck so drivers legs do not break when he exits the boat :eek:
horsepower - 330 :rolleyes:
top speed - 63.2 set on kill :D
photos - see attached "whoops" :mad:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/48jpnengine.jpg
why are you asking me?????......there is only 1 way to find out :)

gqchris
08-07-2007, 12:38 PM
I insure my 1986 Eagle with OT Headers, mild 454. $340 a year thru Progressive. 6,000 Agreed upon value. They never have asked about the headers, nor was it a question in my application. Not sure if it matters, I guess we will see. I am more concerned with it sinking and losing my money for what its worth.

revndave
08-07-2007, 12:41 PM
I could never get insurance any of my boats.

superdave013
08-07-2007, 12:47 PM
why are you asking me?????......there is only 1 way to find out :)
I'll let the new owner ask. :)

squirt'nmyload
08-07-2007, 12:51 PM
I'll let the new owner ask. :)
lmao :)

spectras only
08-07-2007, 01:00 PM
My insurance company always tells me to never disclose limits of liability. Too many unscrupulous mofos out there. Just a friendly heads-up. :)
Make sure if you come to visit BC to boat , you let me know where you going to boat , so I can avoid you when trying to cut me off :idea: :) . It's pretty common knowledge here that 2 mil is the minimum liability for cars/boats .TB is better stay out of my province with his
rocket :eek: :D

Tom Brown
08-07-2007, 01:04 PM
TB is better stay out of my province with his
rocket :eek: :D
You know... I've had my boat in your province and hadn't even thought about my lack of liability coverage until just now. Perhaps I had best take care of that before I make another trip. :D :D :D
Seriously, thanks SO. :cool:

HM
08-07-2007, 01:08 PM
I insure my 1986 Eagle with OT Headers, mild 454. $340 a year thru Progressive. 6,000 Agreed upon value. They never have asked about the headers, nor was it a question in my application. Not sure if it matters, I guess we will see. I am more concerned with it sinking and losing my money for what its worth.
Progressive does not insure OT headers. They will cancel your policy when they find out. And if you have a claim, even if it is not related to your headers...they will cancel. So, you basically have no insurance even though you are paying for it. Insurance is not one of those don't ask don't tell situations...because it actually benefits the insurance company as it gives them an out of paying your claim...while keeping your money. Insurance companies don't make money paying claims. ;)

boats&bars
08-07-2007, 01:18 PM
I don't have insurance. No one seems to want to insure a 19 year old with a 19 foot jet boat with a mild 454. Sucks huh. I guees its like giving a 12 year old a box of matches and a can of gas and then him asking for life insurance.
huh, AAA dude.

boats&bars
08-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Progressive does not insure OT headers. They will cancel your policy when they find out. And if you have a claim, even if it is not related to your headers...they will cancel. So, you basically have no insurance even though you are paying for it. Insurance is not one of those don't ask don't tell situations...because it actually benefits the insurance company as it gives them an out of paying your claim...while keeping your money. Insurance companies don't make money paying claims. ;)
They just payed out 2k to my friend (submerged object) basset ot headers.

spectras only
08-07-2007, 01:27 PM
You know... I've had my boat in your province and hadn't even thought about my lack of liability coverage until just now. Perhaps I had best take care of that before I make another trip. :D :D :D
Seriously, thanks SO. :cool:
We're going to have the Harrison Pokerrun on the 11th . 105 boats signed up , all required to have insurance .
I know one 33 Eliminator cat with twin 1350 HP that won't be allowed to run in the PR :idea: .

v-drive
08-07-2007, 01:38 PM
wouldn't dream of driving anything without insurance. I know people that do and hope they never have to regret it. My daughter just had the old v-drive done through auto club and she only pays 300 a year with a 6000 value.
v-drive

vee-driven
08-07-2007, 01:40 PM
No insurance here, but if you can insure a 2000 rayson craft 21' v-drive with a 572 and a 14-71 blower making close to 1400hp on race gas for a decent amount a year ill take it. PS the CMI headers are through transom and i wont cover the engine.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/path5150/10120617441-1.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/path5150/patsnewpics009.jpg

gqchris
08-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Not that I dont believe you Holy Moly, but if this was the case, wouldnt they disclose this SOMEWHERE when signing up or even ask you? Are we supposed to know this like the "law of the land" or something? How can they get away with "Oh you have headers, well we are not covering your claim". Wouldnt a disclosure of some sort be in writing stating, "Hey if you have OT headers, we are not insuring you!". I know this is the word on the street, but I dont see how they can just not honor their policy because they feel like it. :confused: I will call them to make sure right now. Hey maybe Ill get a refund now back if they cancel me.

gqchris
08-07-2007, 03:45 PM
So, after sitting on hold with the Progressive Rep for 20 mnutes, she had NO IDEA what i was talking about. Very friendly though, and said she would get to bottom of it. I gotta thank Holy Moly, he was 100% CORRECT! So, I canceled my policy, and am getting a couple hundred bucks back on refund for gas money I guess:( Sucks! I guess I am joining the "uninsured" hot boat club now. At least until I pull the trigger on some Indmar exhausts that I have here ready to bolt on!

thatguy
08-07-2007, 04:09 PM
huh, AAA dude.
No they won't We have AAA roadside as well as AAA ins. for our house and homeowners. They took one look at the pictures and ran from those boats.
They are covered under our homeowners against theft or fire. But I think it has a 2K dollar limit for each one.
Tommy

uvindex
08-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Make sure if you come to visit BC to boat , you let me know where you going to boat , so I can avoid you when trying to cut me off :idea: :) . It's pretty common knowledge here that 2 mil is the minimum liability for cars/boats .TB is better stay out of my province with his
rocket :eek: :DNot sure where the cutting off comment came from, as I'm certainly a safe and courteous boat operator. :)
One welcome to BC site says, "Current legislation requires that all motorists carry a minimum limit of third party liability coverage of $200,000." Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but, if it's accurate I wouldn't disclose to people that I had $1.8M more than the minimum legal requirement. But that's just me.

MADDOG355
08-07-2007, 04:42 PM
This thread is going just about how I expected, Pretty much Jet and V-drive guys without ins.
I don't have Ins on my boat eather.

Glamasu
08-07-2007, 04:54 PM
I don't have insurance....And I boat only on Havasu...Before i hit the launch ramp I pound a 5th of Jack Daniels and chase it down with a beer.....AAhhh ready to launch.....Then for lunch its a bottle or 2 of Absolute and wash that down with some tobasco and tomato juice and i'm ready to race to the sandbar!!!!!:D :
Insurance is over rated
Yes I have insurance through Markel......Its pricey though 3200.00 a yr and 5 months of lay up.....

superdave013
08-07-2007, 05:21 PM
No they won't We have AAA roadside as well as AAA ins. for our house and homeowners. They took one look at the pictures and ran from those boats.
They are covered under our homeowners against theft or fire. But I think it has a 2K dollar limit for each one.
Tommy
I have my Schiada v drive insured with them. They came out and took their own photos. Yup, exposed twin turbo engine was sitting right there. I did not give any false info.
How much power? I have no idea
How fast? I have not even driven this boat yet, need the insurance first.
We will have to send this into our underwiter. Ok, let me know what they say.
Next thing I know I'm hooked up for 16K on the boat and 3K for the trailer for 305.00 a year. :D It's up to 375 or so now.

spectras only
08-07-2007, 05:25 PM
b]Not sure where the cutting off comment came from, as I'm certainly a safe and courteous boat operator. :)
[/b]
Was only kidding ;) . There was a group of people here , who scammed the insurance company trying to get huge settlements by slamming on their brakes , cutting people off being rear ended . The mofos got caught on tape and have been charged . I never heard of anybody getting more than a few hundies from the ins companies though .
My boat ins isn't that expensive ,[ ordinary sportboat :( ] , I pay $620 a year . Dropping liability premium would only save me a few bucks .

Cas
08-07-2007, 05:28 PM
same company-
Full coverage, including towing/salvage - $8,500 agreed value.
1984 Bahner 18' Open Bow jet- 454 BBC w/thru transom headers.
Progressive - $220.00 per year
I put the TT headers on just so the boat was insurable but love the lack of ear ringing loud noise :)

Wozencraft
08-07-2007, 10:22 PM
I don't have insurance....And I boat only on Havasu...Before i hit the launch ramp I pound a 5th of Jack Daniels and chase it down with a beer.....AAhhh ready to launch.....Then for lunch its a bottle or 2 of Absolute and wash that down with some tobasco and tomato juice and i'm ready to race to the sandbar!!!!!:D :
Insurance is over rated
Yes I have insurance through Markel......Its pricey though 3200.00 a yr and 5 months of lay up.....
Wheeew! Finally...I get the REAL STORY 'in writing!!!' :)
Devin

Magic34
08-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Never been without insurance on anything.
Currently, my boat is with Chubbs. They had the best rates for my cruiser. They were the same price as everyone else, only their deductible was $2000 instead of $5000+.
I am covered basically everywhere in the US and that includes off the coast, up to 50 miles.

Dan Lorenze
08-08-2007, 03:11 AM
Jet boater here, my boats been insured for 17 years and counting.