PDA

View Full Version : Anybody hear this one before?

H2451
09-10-2001, 06:14 PM
I have a 21' Deckboat with a Evinrude 150. I get the boat on plane and the gauges are reading 75% battery pwr., full tank (oil and fuel), 3500 to 4000 rpm, and about 30 mph. I run it for about 10 minutes with these readings, and all of a sudden a hear a high pitch whir then silence. The motor turned off, this happens several times. We double check the battery, the alternator, and some connections but it continues. Finally I have my wife drive while my friend and I watch the motor to see what is happening, same scenario but this time as I'm watching the outboard rises far enough out of the water the prop is exposed (the high pitch whir). I have a trim gauge and it is reading e verything is a okay, and the hydraulics seem to be functioning properly. It looks like the outboard comes loose all of a sudden, and pops out of the water because the prop is out of the water it automatically kills the motor. Any ideas, other than me being a total snapperhead. Please keep in mind I know very little about motors, and this boat has been sitting idle most of the summer.

gigamurph
09-10-2001, 07:43 PM
Hey H2451, gigamurph here. When the motor is raising up, is it doing like the trim system is being pressured up or is it just kicking up? If it is raising up relatively slow like the system is being pressured up, check out your pump and make sure that it's not bypassing and building pressure. I don't have any experience with a power trim or tilt, but hydraulics all work on the same concept, pressure. Have had hydraulic pumps on equipment at work and have had the valves stick or bypass and everything indicates that there is no pressure in the system, yet the rams are extending. Comprendo? Catch you later at Hot Boats, Hot Spots! KEEP GETTIN' HER WET!

jeff-in-ky
09-11-2001, 04:49 AM
OMC had a lot of problems with the trim limit switch, it is mounted on the motor near the trim cyl. When I worked for an OMC dealer we had several warranty claims with the same problem. In one case the guys boat was sitting in his driveway and the motor started going up and down on its own. The part (as I recall) is around $50, good luck.

H4215
09-11-2001, 05:06 PM
Thanx for the help, gentlemen.

H4215
09-19-2001, 08:08 PM
Hey have you ever considered that your a total bonehead, and you didn't lock the motor in position?

gigamurph
09-19-2001, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by H4215:
Hey have you ever considered that your a total bonehead, and you didn't lock the motor in position?NO! You can't be a total bonehead if your still fulfilling the necessary prerequisites, which I am! Glad it was nothing major. Or was this a trick-question?

Hustler
09-19-2001, 10:42 PM
H does this mean you will have you tug boat out next week end? http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy01.gif
Hustler

jeff-in-ky
09-20-2001, 04:26 AM
I thought the motor had power trim, you mentioned trim gauge & hydraulics. What do you mean "lock the motor in position". If it has power trim there is nothing to lock.