PDA

View Full Version : Anybody on Shasta this past w/e.....

AirtimeLavey
08-07-2007, 12:01 PM
how's it looking?

Party Cat
08-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Was there from 7-28 to 8-4.....water is 50 feet lower this year vs last year at this time...There's still plenty of water to play on....just looks a little different than the past few years....We stayed near Lakehead...there was only 1 ramp still open due to the water level....Antlers should be moving soon and Salt Creek is now closed to skiing....it's a good hike from the docks of Holiday Harbor and Bridge Bay to the stores :sqeyes:....Fuel on the water ranged from $5-$6/gal for 87-91 octane...
Should be cooler too....it was 100-110 most of last week...

AirtimeLavey
08-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Was there from 7-28 to 8-4.....water is 50 feet lower this year vs last year at this time...There's still plenty of water to play on....just looks a little different than the past few years....We stayed near Lakehead...there was only 1 ramp still open due to the water level....Antlers should be moving soon and Salt Creek is now closed to skiing....it's a good hike from the docks of Holiday Harbor and Bridge Bay to the stores :sqeyes:....Fuel on the water ranged from $5-$6/gal for 87-91 octane...
Should be cooler too....it was 100-110 most of last week...
Thanks. We'll be there next wk., also near Lakehead. Which ramp did you use?

HitIt
08-07-2007, 12:42 PM
I was there. Houseboating out of Silverthorn from July 29 - Aug 5. Looks good but a little low. Careful towards The Pit. Lots of trees poking out in the middle. Busted through one with the houseboat that was about 6" underwater in the middle all by itself. I effed my outdrive and prop upriver in Squaw. DONT go up the 5 mile hour zone too far. All the way up McLoud was nice too.
Saw some bears and lots of bald eagles too.
We got gas at Lakeview. $4.69 for 87. Wife went in to pay and was joking around about a discount. They gave us 10% off 120 gallons of gas and ice!!!. Freakin crazy.

Party Cat
08-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks. We'll be there next wk., also near Lakehead. Which ramp did you use?
The only one open towards Lakehead is the one between Tsasdi Resorts docks and Sugarloaf....the Antlers and Sugarloaf ramps were about 30+feet from the water....if ya go early or late in the day....the ramp fee collector isn't there ;) it's also alot less crowded too.....
Afternoons were almost like a Havasu Site 6 comedy....it's amazing how bad some peeps are at backing up their trailers and retrieving their boats :D
One guy last Saturday ran into another boat trailer with his Durango cause he couldn't wait to get into the water....
Where are you staying ??

AirtimeLavey
08-07-2007, 02:58 PM
I was there. Houseboating out of Silverthorn from July 29 - Aug 5. Looks good but a little low. Careful towards The Pit. Lots of trees poking out in the middle. Busted through one with the houseboat that was about 6" underwater in the middle all by itself. I effed my outdrive and prop upriver in Squaw. DONT go up the 5 mile hour zone too far. All the way up McLoud was nice too.
Saw some bears and lots of bald eagles too.
We got gas at Lakeview. $4.69 for 87. Wife went in to pay and was joking around about a discount. They gave us 10% off 120 gallons of gas and ice!!!. Freakin crazy.
Thanks for the info. Sucks to hear about the outdrive and prop. The kids are freaking about poss. seeing bears. Heard a story of a bear swimming across the lake, making them think the water isn't safe. I knew I shouldn't have let them watch shark week.
The only one open towards Lakehead is the one between Tsasdi Resorts docks and Sugarloaf....the Antlers and Sugarloaf ramps were about 30+feet from the water....if ya go early or late in the day....the ramp fee collector isn't there ;) it's also alot less crowded too.....
Afternoons were almost like a Havasu Site 6 comedy....it's amazing how bad some peeps are at backing up their trailers and retrieving their boats :D
One guy last Saturday ran into another boat trailer with his Durango cause he couldn't wait to get into the water....
Where are you staying ??
In an RV at Lake Shore Villa or something like that. My first trip to Shasta. Sis boats there all the time. I've been Goggle Earthing Shasta and just wanted to get a feel for where we can launch, etc. I wish GE pics were refreshed more often.

Chuckles
08-07-2007, 03:19 PM
We were there last weekend and have two more planned weekend's this summer. Launched from holiday harbor in the dirt, probably launch from Packer's bay (mostly locals) the rest of the summer.
Buy gas before you get to the lake (I guess I didn't ask for the discount!)
Once you are on the the water, no problem, the lake is still big when it is down this low. In fact, plenty more beaches and fire pits are available.
Pray for rain and snow this winter.

HitIt
08-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Pray for rain and snow this winter.
Seriously! If we have a dry one, we are all pretty much screwed in CA

Party Cat
08-08-2007, 07:46 AM
In an RV at Lake Shore Villa or something like that. My first trip to Shasta. Sis boats there all the time. I've been Goggle Earthing Shasta and just wanted to get a feel for where we can launch, etc. I wish GE pics were refreshed more often.
From your campground, you'll continue heading away from I-5....
You'll pass over 2 bridges, pass Tsasdi Resort, veer/turn left at Shore Drive...that will take you to the ramp....http://www.irnoyfb.com/images/shastaramp.jpg
Have fun and watch out for new islands popping up...
For a morning wake-up....stop in to the Bass Hole for a Bloody Mary :)..it's probably stumbling distance from your campground...
Here's a pic to compare the water level from this year to last year.....
This shot is close to Bridge Bay....last year...we went through this....there was a channel about 40-50 yards wide....now ya just have to go a little further to get around this to get to the bridge...
http://www.irnoyfb.com/images/shastabb.jpg

AirtimeLavey
08-08-2007, 11:56 AM
From your campground, you'll continue heading away from I-5....
You'll pass over 2 bridges, pass Tsasdi Resort, veer/turn left at Shore Drive...that will take you to the ramp....http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36680&d=1186587718
Have fun and watch out for new islands popping up...
For a morning wake-up....stop in to the Bass Hole for a Bloody Mary :)..it's probably stumbling distance from your campground...
Here's a pic to compare the water level from this year to last year.....
This shot is close to Bridge Bay....last year...we went through this....there was a channel about 40-50 yards wide....now ya just have to go a little further to get around this to get to the bridge...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36681&stc=1&d=1186588287
Cool, thanks for the info. Can't see the pics, though (just red "x").

Party Cat
08-08-2007, 02:24 PM
you should be able to see them now ;)

Mrs.Racer277
08-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Hi PC :)

AirtimeLavey
08-08-2007, 03:32 PM
:jawdrop: Wow, that water level is low!

HitIt
08-08-2007, 04:14 PM
:jawdrop: Wow, that water level is low!
Ya, low enought to do this: See post 18 (http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159888) oops

AirtimeLavey
08-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Ya, low enought to do this: See post 18 (http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159888) oops
Ouch! :eek: Thanks for the heads up on the Lake Sharks...:D I hear they're bottom feeders.

Party Cat
08-09-2007, 06:22 AM
Hi PC :)
What's up Trouble :D
I haven't heard of any Diasasters lately ;)
Have ya maxed out any of Sean's Credit Cards lately :D :D

Mrs.Racer277
08-09-2007, 06:57 AM
What's up Trouble :D
I haven't heard of any Diasasters lately ;)
Have ya maxed out any of Sean's Credit Cards lately :D :D
LOL
I am trying to stay out of trouble these days. :rolleyes:
Miss seeing you and the family....
I don't have Sean's CC. :D

AirtimeLavey
08-09-2007, 08:51 PM
So apparently we are going to Shasta next summer for vacation and RV'ing it. but we dont know where we are going to stay. We would really like a campground on the water where you could rent a slip for a week or so since we will be bringing 3 boats with us and will have 4 RVs. We are going to go one of the 1st 2 weeks in August. And with that in mind and not knowing how much rain and snow we'll get this winter we didnt think Antlers was too good of an idea. What are your guys' thoughts on where we should go?
I'll let you know in 2 weeks when we're back. I'm told though, that this year the water level is down lower than usual.