PDA

View Full Version : Confused

hotrod56cars
08-08-2007, 12:12 AM
OK, I'm fairly new to the boating scene as far as being in the driver's seat. :D I've read a lot.
I have successfully put together a Miller in 23 days and drove the hell out of it in a few weeks before I sold it.
Since selling the Miller I got to drive a friend's Aquacraft flattie v-drive and thought it was a freakin' blast.
But I've been sitting on a 1975 Rogers 18' Bonneville for my "keeper". I've been debating for the last couple of days on selling it to get a v-drive.
Last night, err tonight, whatever... I bought a 1978 Pioneer 19' tunnel jet on a smokin' deal.
Basically I don't know what I want due to my lack of "in driver's seat" experience.
No matter what boat I use as the "keeper" it's going to be a lake and lower river boat. I just need it to seat myself and my G/F but if 2 more want to come I want them to have a seat as well. So it's got to be a 4 seater, rear seats being cramped is fine with me. The "keeper" boat will never be used to ski or tow (people).
I've got 20 tanks of gas experience in the Miller v bottom jet drive, it had twin saddle tanks. I drove the flattie v-drive for about 5 minutes. I've never been in a tunnel hull of any kind. I have no idea how a tunnel reacts to turning, wakes, etc...
My funds are limited and I can't have all three or even two of the three.
The eninge is pre-determined, at the shop right now, and near completion. It's a 427 Chevy, 11:1 compression, .030 over-bore, gear drive, 4 bolt mains, forged crank and forged dome pistons, small combustion chamber big valve oval port heads, Schneider 300 dur. 500 lift cam (gross not at .050), 800 Holley DP w/mech. secondaries, either an old school Edelbrock C427X intake or the Victor Jr (I have both).
Any input is appreciated. Thanks! :D

victorfb
08-08-2007, 12:53 AM
the rogers 18 is pretty cramped for a 4 seater, but it is a great hull. im not sure how much room the new tunnel has but if your looking for speed, im betting thats the hull for you. not that the rogers cant get you up there in speed, but the tunnels are, or atleast seem to be, the shiat right now. the miller flatty is yet another great hull but i for one would never attempt a lake run with it. your delema is one that many of us dream to have and i doubt any of us could give you a definative answer on which ONE to keep. i am definatly partial to the rogers hulls so i cannot and will not point you in any direction. i would however hold onto the tunnel and get her running before you make any decision. three totally differant hulls with totally differant rides. youll have to try them all out.

hotrod56cars
08-09-2007, 12:57 AM
I had another thread going on here, and it has disappeared/unable to reply :confused:
It also shows that I have read all of the posts which I have not... ? Am I in moderation or??
:confused:
Anyway!! How does a tunnel jet handle wakes and turns? How fast/likely is it that it will flip over in a reasonably high speed turn?

Squirtcha?
08-09-2007, 05:20 AM
Some people are so lucky. 3 boats and 56 cars?
hotrod56cars

BAE_557
08-09-2007, 06:10 AM
I also have a Mach 1 hull with extensive work done to the bottom, I can't comment on high speed turns because I haven't done any but straight line the hull is very stable at high speeds.
Could you post pictures of the back of your Mach 1 focusing on the tunnel depth.
Thanks

hotrod56cars
08-09-2007, 06:27 AM
Some people are so lucky. 3 boats and 56 cars?
hotrod56cars
My dad and I restored a 1956 Bel Air 2 door hard top with factory A/C, power windows, and a stick shift. I got it from my dad and that's what hot rod 56 cars is about. ;)

hotrod56cars
08-09-2007, 06:34 AM
I also have a Mach 1 hull with extensive work done to the bottom, I can't comment on high speed turns because I haven't done any but straight line the hull is very stable at high speeds.
Could you post pictures of the back of your Mach 1 focusing on the tunnel depth.
Thanks
Yesterday I complemented you on your boat, that thing is very cool. :jawdrop: You'll find the picture you want in here:
http://www.socaljetboats.com/index.php?topic=1360.msg15977;topicseen#new
I figure that the pump on mine is setback about a foot further than on yours. :confused:

hotrod56cars
08-09-2007, 03:16 PM
BAE_557 I got a question for you, do you have any idea how fast this boat will be with a 450 HP 427? It's only about 3,500 HP less than your engine so we should be a good match race. :idea:

cyclone
08-09-2007, 03:28 PM
I had another thread going on here, and it has disappeared/unable to reply :confused:
It also shows that I have read all of the posts which I have not... ? Am I in moderation or??
:confused:
Anyway!! How does a tunnel jet handle wakes and turns? How fast/likely is it that it will flip over in a reasonably high speed turn?
As nostalgic as i am for Roger Weiman's hull designs, I wouldnt go back to one if i was looking for a dual purpose boat now that i've driven tunnel boats. Love the looks of every Rogers I owned but my tunnel is faster, safer, and doesn't beat the crap out of me in chop, and looks just as cool IMO. But it only seats two. A 21ft tunnel is a nice compromise. I cant speak for how well a Pioneer tunnel works, i'm just giving my two pennies worth of personal experience.

BAE_557
08-09-2007, 03:49 PM
BAE_557 I got a question for you, do you have any idea how fast this boat will be with a 450 HP 427? It's only about 3,500 HP less than your engine so we should be a good match race. :idea:
According to the guy that I bought the Mach 1 from, with the BBC he had in it, the boat ran 90 MPH.
You can click on the "Blue Thunder, Mach 1 Project" link in the signature line below to see what the boat looked like when I bought it.
I bought it less engine, seats and gauges.

hotrod56cars
08-09-2007, 03:51 PM
As nostalgic as i am for Roger Weiman's hull designs, I wouldnt go back to one if i was looking for a dual purpose boat now that i've driven tunnel boats. Love the looks of every Rogers I owned but my tunnel is faster, safer, and doesn't beat the crap out of me in chop, and looks just as cool IMO. But it only seats two. A 21ft tunnel is a nice compromise. I cant speak for how well a Pioneer tunnel works, i'm just giving my two pennies worth of personal experience.
Your two pennies is worth at least the first round to me. ;) Thanks for the reply, that's exactly the kind of experience I was looking for. :D
Now where's the damn chalk so I can mark my cut line for my open bow conversion... :idea:
J/K !!!