PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on buying a used Jet Boat....

77 Apollo Jet Boat
02-20-2006, 10:30 PM
since i wont be rebuilding my old jet, im looking to purchase a used one (if im lucky, a new one).
what are all the detailed questions/signs i need to know in preparation of buying a used jet boat (whether its over the internet or in person)? I'd like all of ya'll opinions/advice so i can make a compilations of questions to put on paper so ill be prepared for when i see the boat of my dreams!!!
Thanks for ya'll help,
William

BigBlockBaja
02-20-2006, 10:51 PM
Stick with a berk/dominator/Legend/AmericanTurbine pump.

86 catalina
02-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Look at it during the day..get underneath it and look REAL GOOD at the hull>things to look for are unlevel fiberglass ,diffrent colors of fiberglass,look around the pump for cracking.Uptop look for cracking ,paint changes..etc.Check the bulk head and see if its broken or cracked,this says that the boat was slammed around pretty hard>Aslo your usual motor check up ,run it for sure and listen to the motor and pump for any funny noises.Check the oil..etc...good luck take your time

Cas
02-20-2006, 11:45 PM
just posted this up not too long ago, here's the link
Buying a Jet Boat (http://p210.ezboard.com/fclassic***boatsfrm7.showMessage?topicID=138.topic )

Squirtin Thunder
02-21-2006, 12:04 AM
I've had a couple of people email me asking what to look for when buying a jet boat. A lot of it the info pertains to most any boats not just jets.
Anyway, here's what I look for when looking to buy.
1. price
2. hull make/condition
a. check for stress cracks, if there's a lot, stay away.
b. was the hull painted, find out why. The hull may have been damaged, fixed and then painted. Since you don't know how it was fixed, I would shy away from it.
c. bring a 4 ft long straight edge to check the bottom for hook and/or rocker. The way to do this check is to lay the straight on the bottom of the boat from the transom forward. If there is a gap between the bottom of the boat and the straight edge, the boat has hook. If the straight edge "rocks" the hull has a "bulge" that is referred to as rocker.
d. bow flex, were there any supports/bulkheads removed under the bow?
e. check the transom and stringers for rot - this can be tough to do since both areas should be covered in fiberglass. Look closely in areas where there are thru bolts ie: motot mounts in stringers, where pump hole is cut.
f. check the keel line - lots of scratches or worn out areas mean the boat was beached a lot.
3. Interior condition, not only the upholstery but check the frames for possible rot.
4. Interior wiring/gauges
5. Engine condition - fire it off and listen. If I'm looking for a project, this engine sometimes isn't that important as it'll be freshened up anyway.
6. Pump - crawl underneath and look at the impeller, any damage visible? chunks out of the impeller means there are issues inside. Check the oil for water and check the driveline the best you can.
7. Cables - make sure the steering wheel turns freely, the forward/reverse and the throttle cables move easily.
7. Trailer - overall condition, tires, wheels, do the hubs have bearing buddies, lights, and wiring.
8. Price - what's the asking price and how much will I need to put into it to make it a good solid running boat?
If I really like the boat and the hull is in good shape, you can pretty much bet I'll toss most of that stuff out the window
Steve
Good post on LBBB

77 Apollo Jet Boat
02-21-2006, 12:26 AM
just posted this up not too long ago, here's the link
Buying a Jet Boat (http://p210.ezboard.com/fclassic***boatsfrm7.showMessage?topicID=138.topic )
thanks Cas, sorry i missed the post. im not much a lurker on here.
BTW, great info!
William

Cas
02-21-2006, 07:28 AM
I just posted that recently on the Laid Back Boards, not here. Thanks for the copy and paste Jim.

GUGS102
02-21-2006, 07:36 AM
If you can not put it in the water and test. Put the plug in and put 4-5" of water in the inside of the boat and look for leaks. But if at all possible, besides the inspection items already mentioned, try to get it to the water and test.
Gugs
Remember tuperware and the walrus (sp) all want the same thing... a tight seal. Same can be said for a boat owner..

centerhill condor
02-21-2006, 07:40 AM
my favorite is starter engagement... if a new flywheel is needed it is quite a chore to replace. so have him start it a couple of times... does it grind... grinding can be a good thing but not on starters! Ask if he has maintenance records... If he keeps records you will know what has and hasn't been done.
check the impeller. does it have nicks etc from running through gravel or big sand? or are the blades nice and smooth. real simple to identify these things.
boat stands for "bust out another thousand"... make note to self!
Good luck! :boxed:

Squirtcha?
02-21-2006, 08:40 AM
Personally, I wouldn't buy new. You can get a whole lot more boat for half the money. Depending on where you're located $10K-$14K will buy you one hell of a nice used boat. Anything new will be double that easy, and it probably won't be all that fast. In my mind, it would even be worth a road trip to Texas, Arizona, or California for the right boat. There seem to be lots more to choose from out here, and the prices are better.
That Carribean that you were looking at was basically a stock boat for $16K? It was a nice boat, but way too much money for what it was IMO. I think you can do much better. Don't be in too much of a hurry. If you're unsure about what to look for, see if someone in your area can help you out.
I'd be happy to go look at boats with ya (oh the torture), but Mississippi would be a bit of a road trip.

CARLSON-JET
02-21-2006, 09:11 AM
Make darn certain all paper work is in order.
A complete boat in no need of work (Turn key) is worth alot more then a boat that is a "fixer".
Gelcoat/paint work is expensive or time consuming.
Reliability is worth alot more then top speed.
What is your intended purpose? this make all the diffrence in the world.
ROT is the #1 enemy of a boat. check all that you can to ensure the wood supports ect are not dry rotted (Transom definatly).
Interior work/parts: not cheap, a good interior is worth at least a grand in a cruiser over needing new.

Cole1313
02-21-2006, 09:14 AM
Personally, I wouldn't buy new. You can get a whole lot more boat for half the money. Depending on where you're located $10K-$14K will buy you one hell of a nice used boat. Anything new will be double that easy, and it probably won't be all that fast. In my mind, it would even be worth a road trip to Texas, Arizona, or California for the right boat. There seem to be lots more to choose from out here, and the prices are better.
That Carribean that you were looking at was basically a stock boat for $16K? It was a nice boat, but way too much money for what it was IMO. I think you can do much better. Don't be in too much of a hurry. If you're unsure about what to look for, see if someone in your area can help you out.
I'd be happy to go look at boats with ya (oh the torture), but Mississippi would be a bit of a road trip.
If you can not find anyone to help you. Take a ton of pictures and post them up here. Like the above said, take pictures of the stress cracks, get a couple of underneath the deck, the engine area. Try looking for a boat with full stringers, meaning they go all the way back through the engine compartment.
If that boat in the pic is the style of boat you are looking for, you should be able to find those under say$9,000 all day long. Just depends on the motor after that. For a decent hull you would be looking to pay say around $5,000+-

Konabud
02-21-2006, 11:44 AM
I might get some crap here (not that there's anything wrong with an Olds) but if I had my choice I would look for either a Ford or Chevy motor and like Big Block said a Berk pump. Just personal preferance. :)

atxwrangler
02-21-2006, 11:47 AM
I WOULD BUY THE 19' HELLET BUBLE DECK WITH ORIGINAL GEL,POSTED IN THE SPAM SECTION,IT LOOKS SWEET!http://www.classicboatbeachbash.com/2005pics/magicgallery/DSCN7750.jpg

atxwrangler
02-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Best Of All ,only $7500.00!pm red rocker, i bumped it to the top for ya!

Devilman
02-21-2006, 12:00 PM
Best Of All ,only $7500.00!
That's right, that is a helluva nice boat & seems like a smokin deal! That would be hard to pass up! :cool:

atxwrangler
02-21-2006, 01:07 PM
d man, i am ready for some warm weather!

Devilman
02-21-2006, 01:28 PM
d man, i am ready for some warm weather!
Shit, you, me, & prolly just about everybody on this board! :cool: My carb is ready. If the weather stays decent, we may try it out this weekend. Do that, check the timing, stuff like that. Haven't ever had a timing light on that motor since I put it together 4-5 years ago. It may be overdue.... :rollside:

atxwrangler
02-21-2006, 01:34 PM
i gotta work O.T.. DAMN!

Devilman
02-21-2006, 01:53 PM
i gotta work O.T.. DAMN!
I don't even have it back yet, its supposed to be another cold front this weekend anyways. Doubt its gonna be this weekend.

centerhill condor
02-21-2006, 02:08 PM
I'm going friday and nobody nothin' no weather can stop me.... :220v:

77 Apollo Jet Boat
02-21-2006, 02:11 PM
I WOULD BUY THE 19' HELLET BUBLE DECK WITH ORIGINAL GEL,POSTED IN THE SPAM SECTION,IT LOOKS SWEET!http://www.classicboatbeachbash.com/2005pics/magicgallery/DSCN7750.jpg
i am wiping the drool away from my mouth as i type this, that boat is (from what i can see) in outstanding condition. ive already PMed Red Rocker about it, just waiting for a reply. i have atleast another 2-3 months of searching before the weather becomes prime but damn i cant stop referring back to that boat.
from what i can see, its in hella condition (ext., int., engine, pump, and pips), from all the replies ive seen about this boat, this guy ALMOST takes better care of his boat as i did mine :-D.
where's red rocker located anyways?

Squirtcha?
02-21-2006, 02:42 PM
Nice! Ya can't go wrong with a Hallet (especially in that kind
of condition). Nice solid boats capable of good speed too.
Price seems fair.

77 Apollo Jet Boat
02-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Nice! Ya can't go wrong with a Hallet (especially in that kind
of condition). Nice solid boats capable of good speed too.
Price seems fair.
agreed. where's red rocker located?

Squirtcha?
02-21-2006, 03:02 PM
His profile doesn't say. If I had to guess............I'd say California though.
714 area code is Orange County.
Drop him a Private Message or give him a call.
Shoot I'd be tempted to sell my boat and buy his.
(714) 276-5268
Here's a copy of his ad (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106078&page=1)

77 Apollo Jet Boat
02-21-2006, 03:09 PM
His profile doesn't say. If I had to guess............I'd say California though.
:bawling:
why do all the boats i WANT thousands of miles away. :(

Squirtcha?
02-21-2006, 04:11 PM
If ya get in your truck and leave now, you could be there by Thursday!
Let me try to be a voice of reason here.
You were semi-serious about a lot less boat (the almost stock Carribean) for almost $9000 more than the Hallet. Christ..............call a boat shipping company and have them bring it to you. It aint gonna cost no $9000 to have a boat shipped. The Hallet will be better, faster and probably still cheaper than what you were looking at even with the shipping costs.
P.S. there is really such a thing as a boat shipping company.

77 Apollo Jet Boat
02-21-2006, 04:24 PM
If ya get in your truck and leave now, you could be there by Thursday!
Let me try to be a voice of reason here.
You were semi-serious about a lot less boat (the almost stock Carribean) for almost $9000 less. Christ..............call a boat shipping company and have them bring it to you. It aint gonna cost no $9000 to have a boat shipped. The Hallet will be better, faster and probably still cheaper than what you were looking at.
P.S. there is really such a thing as a boat shipping company.well, 26 hours and 1800+miles later, id be looking at the boat. ha.
what really un-nerves me is the fact that i cant actually SEE the boat. yea, it looks DAMN good in pictures but if im going to fork over that kind of money, i want to put my hands on it and see it w/ my own to eyes.
that 16k boat looks damn good, the guy sent me pics of it and damn. but yea, its WAY to much. im not worried about it anymore.
now red rockers boat looks awesome and i like how its set up but he lives almost 2k miles away. like i said, i want to make the decision based on what i see and not regret the purchase.
where would i get a ballpark figure on how much it would cost to ship a boat to me?
William

Squirtcha?
02-21-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm understanding where you're coming from on the ol "want to see it" deal.
Here's what comes up under "boat shippers" in google search. There's lots of them. Give em a call, or email and send them a picture of the Hallet. It doesn't cost anything to ask about prices. When you call let em know it's on a trailer. I'm sure they're used to shipping boats without and it would probably make difference.
google search "boat shippers" (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=boat+shippers)

MBlaster
02-21-2006, 04:46 PM
There are a couple of real nice jets for sale in the spam section.
The Hallett, LAFD's Southwind, and the Carribean.
All three very nice.
I'd be looking at those but looks like I've found a nice Carrera elite.

Squirtcha?
02-21-2006, 04:54 PM
Ya know I apologize. I honestly don't know why I'm pushing this deal. If you did it, and it turned out bad, I'd feel like total crap.
On one hand, I'd hate to see someone pay alot more money for less boat just because of a geographical thing, but it's really none of my business.
Anyway you've got some options. Hope whatever you do works out for ya.
I'm gonna keep my nose out of it.

77 Apollo Jet Boat
02-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Ya know I apologize. I honestly don't know why I'm pushing this deal. If you did it, and it turned out bad, I'd feel like total crap.
On one hand, I'd hate to see someone pay alot more money for less boat just because of a geographical thing, but it's really none of my business.
Anyway you've got some options. Hope whatever you do works out for ya.
I'm gonna keep my nose out of it.
naw man, its cool. everyone is entitled to their own opinion. i appreciate you voicing yours. yours along with everyone elses opinion is what im going on. if i decide to buy the boat, that decision will be made by me and only me. ya'll are just helping me along. i appreciate anyone and everyones help in me deciding on a bad.

Devilman
02-21-2006, 06:06 PM
naw man, its cool. everyone is entitled to their own opinion. i appreciate you voicing yours. yours along with everyone elses opinion is what im going on. if i decide to buy the boat, that decision will be made by me and only me. ya'll are just helping me along. i appreciate anyone and everyones help in me deciding on a bad.
I guess I'll chime in for what it's worth. Driving mucho miles just to look at a boat is a risky deal. Just depends on how you feel about it. Especially with the amount of money involved. Some friends of mine made a 4 1/2 hour round trip drive, just last weekend, to look at a boat they had never seen, based on info that I had given them. They were pleased with it & towed it home that afternoon, everybody wins. But, they came knowing the possibility that the boat might be a pile of shit, & go home empty-handed.
If I was in your situation, I would look for a boat closer to home. I wouldn't think a couple hours drive is to much of a problem if you found something that interested you. Something turn-key or maybe a hull that you could rig with the stuff left over from your boat. I have run across lots of good deals & lots of nice boats sadly, on the internet, which in turn meant way too far away.
It's gonna boil down to how bad you want a boat. If you let that "gotta have" get in the way, you may end up settling for something you don't really want. If you're willing to bide your time & maybe do a small amount of traveling, I'd say you'll find something you'd like to have as well as in your price range.

Squirtcha?
02-21-2006, 06:11 PM
I think we're a little spoiled in Texas, Arizona, and California DM. We have a lot more to choose from and the prices seem to be quite a bit better than they are back east (at least from what I've seen). Still.................sound advice on your part.

MBlaster
02-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Driving mucho miles just to look at a boat is a risky deal.
Sure driving a ton of miles to look at a boat is very risky. But if you line up several prospects, and make your inquiries thorough, a winning deal could be in your corner.

Devilman
02-21-2006, 07:54 PM
I think we're a little spoiled in Texas, Arizona, and California DM. We have a lot more to choose from and the prices seem to be quite a bit better than they are back east (at least from what I've seen). Still.................sound advice on your part.
I'd have to agree with ya on that deal. From what I've seen, the majority of the playing field seems to be a toss-up between CA & AZ, with TX not far behind. Kinda sux, but there it is, which leads to this...
Sure driving a ton of miles to look at a boat is very risky. But if you line up several prospects, and make your inquiries thorough, a winning deal could be in your corner.
I agree with you on this score as well. If one takes the time, does the homework, & takes the purchase seriously, mileage could very well be a small factor in the overall scheme of things. A friend of mine here in town found & purchased a boat in New York of all places. Texas to New York is no small distance by any means. But, he was confident in the seller, made the journey, & came home a happy man, with a boat in tow.
I guess Apollo, what I would say after thinking on it a bit, is that although I would try & stay close to home, I wouldn't rule anything out based on distance alone. Like Squirtcha? mentioned, kinda spoiled to the surplus in our area.:D Hope all of this helps! :rollside:

atxwrangler
02-22-2006, 05:06 AM
i drove out to cali and brought home my last boat,3000 miles,round trip.took 3 days of almost solid driving and 550.00 gas money to pick up half the boat that hallet is.i would do it again in a heartbeat, can you say ROAD TRIP?i enjoyed the scenery,i had never been out of texas before,except for vegas,and i flew.if you want a clean boat,california and arizona has them,and they seem to take better care of them than a lot of people i know, including myself!after it is over you will have one sweet ass boat.i think it would definately be worth it.you could name it no guts, no glory! :D my 2 cents.

Devilman
02-22-2006, 05:30 AM
i drove out to cali and brought home my last boat,3000 miles,round trip.took 3 days of almost solid driving and 550.00 gas money to pick up half the boat that hallet is.i would do it again in a heartbeat, can you say ROAD TRIP?i enjoyed the scenery,i had never been out of texas before,except for vegas,and i flew.if you want a clean boat,california and arizona has them,and they seem to take better care of them than a lot of people i know, including myself!after it is over you will have one sweet ass boat.i think it would definately be worth it.you could name it no guts, no glory! :D my 2 cents.
No shit? I never knew thats where you got that boat.....

atxwrangler
02-22-2006, 11:16 AM
ya, my red eliminator. EBAY!

Devilman
02-22-2006, 11:23 AM
ya, my red eliminator. EBAY!
Ahh, I thought you meant the Southwind....