PDA

View Full Version : Mini Cooper advice????

Froggystyle
08-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Audrey is thinking about getting rid of her BMW 5 series wagon at the end of the lease (coming up shortly) and we have strongly considered the new Mini. I took one for a drive yesterday with some motor mods and suspension and it could best be described as two barrels of monkeys. In fact, that was how Car and Driver described it exactly. What a blast to drive. Lots of character, great fuel mileage and we are thinking of building a toterhome a little differently next time, and seeing if we can get this thing in the back of it.
I think it is pretty fly myself. The new ones are turbocharged, and a nice set of rims, a little drop, bigger brakes and some turbo-timer/wastegate work might put it over 200 hp.
Does anyone on here have any experience good or bad with the Mini's? Anyone know a tuner? Anyone race them? Anyone?
Thanks ahead of time.

Jordy
08-08-2007, 11:58 AM
I took one for a drive yesterday
Did you go rollerblading afterwards??? :idea: :D

Jbb
08-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Have you considered the................................Boxter...:D

2ndIINoneMotorsports.com
08-08-2007, 12:00 PM
We just installed a new set of lowering coils on the new mini...I wasnt able to test drive it since it was a customers car but it looked real nice with the new stance

Froggystyle
08-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Did you go rollerblading afterwards??? :idea: :D
No... windy walk. :D

Screaming Pete
08-08-2007, 12:02 PM
brecht bmw seems to know alot about racing bmw's Tim the owner is a river peep also. i test drove one awhile back and brought it back with the brakes smoking. i'm not sure if they liked that:D

Froggystyle
08-08-2007, 12:05 PM
brecht bmw seems to know alot about racing bmw's Tim the owner is a river peep also. i test drove one awhile back and brought it back with the brakes smoking. i'm not sure if they liked that:D
Do you know him personally? A referral perhaps?

yopengo
08-08-2007, 12:08 PM
I have a buddy that races SOLO in his Mini and an M3 (different classes). I have driven the Mini … and what a blast. He loves the Mini and has had no issues. We were looking at a Mini Convertible for my wife. They are very nice… just too small with kids.

conquestcat
08-08-2007, 12:09 PM
talk to Ziggy he owns continetal bmw in oceanside but there
are only certain dealers that sell them so check with him
brecht bmw would be the last place id ever buy one

Wet Dream
08-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Go drive a Miata. Pick any year, I like the NA's myself and you'll find mods galore for any of them. Lower em, blower em, turbo em, mod em, skirt em, and of course top down. The handling is unbelievable. Just a thought.

Sleek-Jet
08-08-2007, 12:10 PM
talk to Ziggy he owns continetal bmw in oceanside but there
are only certain dealers that sell them so check with him
brecht bmw would be the last place id ever buy one
Ziggy abandoned us BMW guys...

selfmade
08-08-2007, 12:11 PM
They are fun to drive just MAKE sure you buy the one with the most horsepower cooper-s

hottrodder
08-08-2007, 12:23 PM
It's my understanding that the John Cooper Works kit on top of the S is the top HP model and I believe it's factory warranty. I looked long and hard at one of these in '03 before buying the RX-8. What I couldn't wrap my arms around with the mini was the weight. For a small car the thing sure weighs a lot. Killing the HP to wt ratio. The Mazda is a little lighter, a little more power, and a little more room for the offspring. Plus the wankel sounds great @ 9000 rpm. They sure seem to be a fun car though.

Ziggy
08-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Yes, I abondoned BMW as of yesterday officially. I know the Brechts personally though, and.......the people who bought my BMW store have a sister BMW store in Torrance that also carries Mini. ;) I can give you a referal to whichever place you'd like, if it makes any difference to you.

Froggystyle
08-08-2007, 12:27 PM
If I was going to buy new, it would be a Cooper S (no convertible) with the Cooper motor works kit making 207hp factory warrantied. I just did the build of it on their website and it comes out to $40K :eek:
What I would love to find is some jackass like me who dumped a ton of money into a bitchin little Mini and decided it is just too small for him.
Zero chance in hell I would ever buy a Miata. I stopped mainlining estrogen years ago...

Cole Trickle
08-08-2007, 12:36 PM
If I was going to buy new, it would be a Cooper S (no convertible) with the Cooper motor works kit making 207hp factory warrantied. I just did the build of it on their website and it comes out to $40K :eek:
What I would love to find is some jackass like me who dumped a ton of money into a bitchin little Mini and decided it is just too small for him.
Zero chance in hell I would ever buy a Miata. I stopped taking estrogen years ago...
Get her a mans car;):D
She would look good in a new vette and you wouldn't be followed by the rainbow sticker crowd when you buzz around in it:eek:
Honestly they are cool little nimble cars that are way overpriced. The handling is go cart-ish and 207hp is still painfully slow. We raced a S model with exhaust against a stock miata (mazda speed version) and the miata walked it hard. Why not look at the Mazda 3 (mazda speed edition) 260hp car with a cool interior.:idea: :)
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsMain&vehicleCode=MS3
Not as fast as the Dodge SRT-4 (gone) but itruns pretty hard and offer alot of bang for the buck

SOCALDETAIL1
08-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Hit up Longtime Lurker he got one for the wife.

Froggystyle
08-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Get her a mans car;):D
She would look good in a new vette and you wouldn't be followed by the rainbow sticker crowd when you buzz around in it:eek:
Honestly they are cool little nimble cars that are way overpriced. The handling is go cart-ish and 207hp is still painfully slow. We raced a S model with exhaust against a stock miata (mazda speed version) and the miata walked it hard. Why not look at the Mazda 3 (mazda speed edition) 260hp car with a cool interior.:idea: :)
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsMain&vehicleCode=MS3
Not as fast as the Dodge SRT-4 (gone) but itruns pretty hard and offer alot of bang for the buck
She had the Vette and was sick of it quickly. I am way past trying to get her to pick what I want. When this is all said and done, she is going to get the car she wants, and I get a 650 convertible.
It won't be raced, and this thing is twice as much fun, more room, and 500% more character than any Mazda.
The one that I drove yesterday had 190hp, and could be described as many things, none of them being "painfully slow". It would have nutted in the BMW she currently drives face in fact.

Ryphraph
08-08-2007, 12:43 PM
I'd rather get the SRT8 Jeep for 40K.
The guy I work with had an '02. It was agreat little ride but it was down on power. Even the Works seems a bit under powered too compared to other sporty rides.
Ryph

Froggystyle
08-08-2007, 12:54 PM
All the help is appreciated guys. But seriously, I am looking for tuning info, a hookup with a dealer and experience from people who bought one... not people who didn't.
35 mpg seems a lot better than 12, which is about what the Jeep will get. She had a Corvette, she has a BMW... She now wants a Mini, and I want to get the best one I can get and spend the least amount of money. Plus, any insider tricks for how to hotrod or whatever would be nice too...
She won't consider a WRX, though that would be my choice, and doesn't want another "boy" car.

Hallett19
08-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Boxster dude, The Podge would look hot in one of them. I went with the Tissot, the Citizen I wanted is not available till Oct :confused: Next watch!

Cole Trickle
08-08-2007, 01:09 PM
She had the Vette and was sick of it quickly. I am way past trying to get her to pick what I want. When this is all said and done, she is going to get the car she wants, and I get a 650 convertible.
It won't be raced, and this thing is twice as much fun, more room, and 500% more character than any Mazda.
The one that I drove yesterday had 190hp, and could be described as many things, none of them being "painfully slow". It would have nutted in the BMW she currently drives face in fact.
I guess thats why they make lots of cars because everyone has a different opinion of cool.;)
there are things I like/dislike about every manufacturer and will give an honest review.
I haven't owned a car with less than 400HP since 1999 so 200HP for 40K dosen't exactly give me goose bumps:eek:
Here is a video with a couple companies that tweak Coopers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njPua4GJORc
here is a video of the crappy sub par mazda;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn1yOLpBDZA

Froggystyle
08-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Boxster dude, The Podge would look hot in one of them. I went with the Tissot, the Citizen I wanted is not available till Oct :confused: Next watch!
We had a Boxter for three weeks. Too small on the inside, and a little gay even for her.
Seriously... let's stick to the Mini's here guys. That is what I am looking for.

Ziggy
08-08-2007, 01:12 PM
ok nevermind, I got no contacts...LOL:D

Ryphraph
08-08-2007, 01:24 PM
For a Mini contact, go to Kirk at Crevier in Santa ana.
Ryph

RiverToysJas
08-08-2007, 01:25 PM
That's nearly a $20,000 kit??? :eek: :confused: :eek: We've been thinking about a Cooper S to replace our Del Sol commuter.
MSRP is $21,600.....and it's 172hp standard. That's not bad for a little car. I sat in one a long time ago, and it had plenty of room for me - @ 6'1" and 250, I'm considered by some a "big guy"......I think the back seat was nearly useless with me in the front though.
Good Luck Wes, let us know what you decide.
RTJas :D

boats&bars
08-08-2007, 01:52 PM
get the coral pink convetable, or go all out and just buy a miata. im sure you will feel like a man driving it around on the weekends.:D

BADAXE
08-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Yes, I abondoned BMW as of yesterday officially. I know the Brechts personally though, and.......the people who bought my BMW store have a sister BMW store in Torrance that also carries Mini. ;) I can give you a referal to whichever place you'd like, if it makes any difference to you.
Wow! sold the store to Fritz?

franky
08-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Mini's are a blast to drive, for a while. Nice part time car, not a daily driver IMO. You will get tired of the go-cart thing.

MBlaster
08-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Forget about gas mileage in a Cooper S. Don't buy if you are looking for an economy car cause it ain't.

Ziggy
08-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Wow! sold the store to Fritz?
Yes, I did.

RiverToysJas
08-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Forget about gas mileage in a Cooper S. Don't buy if you are looking for an economy car cause it ain't.
It's rated very well on mileage. :confused: At least the manual trans is. Something 475miles on 13.2 gallons. Well over 30.

MBlaster
08-08-2007, 03:45 PM
It's rated very well on mileage. :confused: At least the manual trans is. Something 475miles on 13.2 gallons. Well over 30.
I had a brand new cooper s for a weekend.
It sucked gas almost like a bbc.
...course I had my foor to the floor most of the time :D but I was suprised at the lousy mileage even with my bad behavior.
If Wes is looking for mpg, get a regular mini.

Cole Trickle
08-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Stay out of boost;):D
My blown vette got 32+ MPG on the freeway at 75. It also got 8 MPG if you were killing tires from light to light.
The EPA's MPG data is flawed. they typically don't take load and wind resistance into account. (treadmill with no wind):)

PHX ATC
08-08-2007, 04:06 PM
I've actually been looking and kinda shopping for a Cooper S myself. I have a soccer family/friends that have a 05 Cooper (no S). They love it. They get great as mileage around 38 to 39 hand calculated and realize that it's not a slot car racer, but just a fun, zippy machine to get to and from wherever it is they're going. They've had nothing to complain about except the $150 oil changes at the only dealer in town (North SDL MINI) which is about 40 miles one way away. They do oil changes themselves!
If momma wants it, I think it would be okay. My friends have had great luck with it and it's pretty much a stocker, "Jed Clampett" version.
I'm looking just to buy one to commute my 72 miles a day to and from work while saving gas money and having a bit o' fun turning corners in the hood on the way home.
Hope that helps.
Ziggy...now where am I going to drop off those beers next time I'm down there (October)? :)

Froggystyle
08-08-2007, 05:12 PM
The JCW kit is about $6200. I of course loaded the thing up with every other option, but still, it was going to be mid 30's when I am done with it either way.
I am looking at the Digi-Tec kit right now, but you need to go to Amsterdam to do it, and it won't be warranted.
Plus, it looks like I can buy a used, clean Cooper S and have the dealership do the JCW kit any time. Need a turbocharged one though...

XtrmWakeborder
08-08-2007, 05:14 PM
miata?.....lmao I don't think i've ever heard a man recommend a miata.

BIGRRNU
08-08-2007, 05:33 PM
A mini Cooper,maybe you need to move to hillcrest

Froggystyle
08-09-2007, 07:48 AM
Ummm... people... I am not talking about driving this car myself... It is for the wife. Turns out that gay jokes aren't really funny when you are talking about a chicks car.
I haven't told you about the coolest thing yet though, or maybe you weren't paying attention... We are talking about getting a bigger toter that this thing will fit in. How trick would that be? Show up, launch the boat and pull your CAR out of the back of the motorhome? :D
Might just make SEMA too... you never know.
:D

Havasubum
08-09-2007, 10:42 AM
my unlces mini is putting 300hp to the wheels, let me tell its one fun car to drive. i'll try to get some pics

duffster
08-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Ummm... people... I am not talking about driving this car myself... It is for the wife. Turns out that gay jokes aren't really funny when you are talking about a chicks car.
I haven't told you about the coolest thing yet though, or maybe you weren't paying attention... We are talking about getting a bigger toter that this thing will fit in. How trick would that be? Show up, launch the boat and pull your CAR out of the back of the motorhome? :D
Dude Get the “S” they are not chick cars I own one and I can say they are just like having a legal supercharged go-cart for the street.
Plus I get sick of rolling around in the old lifted Duramax trying to park in golf cart spaces it seems like all the time.

BIGRRNU
08-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Dude Get the “S” they are not chick cars I own one and I can say they are just like having a legal supercharged go-cart for the street.
Plus I get sick of rolling around in the old lifted Duramax trying to park in golf cart spaces it seems like all the time.
Dude,I am a chick and I still think there GAY.:sqeyes: :sqeyes: :sqeyes:

andy01
08-09-2007, 12:31 PM
Look into the differences between old and new. I just got done figuring the whole mini thing out...... It was going to be my "driver" I bought a C class instead. I was just after something fun and cheap to drive. I did like the charactor of the mini, just check some of the mini sites. As the same as most things, you can learn about what to do and not to do. You will also learn fast that the owners are very "special" in a tracking from the factory (with satelite pictures) the day thier mini was "born" kind of way. Most of them had names for their minis as well. Neat little car, they just changed some stuff I believe this model year, so make sure you buy a new one. Also the S is the one to get.
Oh and they are crazy about the pricing but you can get them to move a bit, didn't seem like much though. And the lease payments where terrible in comparison to other makes out there. Good luck I think the car would look great with a big company logo on the side, that's what I was going to do.
Andy

andy01
08-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Show up, launch the boat and pull your CAR out of the back of the motorhome? :D
There are regular motorhomes, the new mid engine diesel setups that have a mini up in the back. Not a toter, but a motorhome. Now that would be trick, your car under the bed.
Andy

duffster
08-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Dude,I am a chick and I still think there GAY.:sqeyes: :sqeyes: :sqeyes:
That's cool maybe you fall in to the bull-dike chick that wish she had balls catagory??? Don't steal my truck okay.:D :D :D :D

Xlration Marine
08-09-2007, 12:40 PM
The Mini has the same motor as the old 318i, and ti. There was a local guy here that raced one, no turbo. He had a blower on it. Hp was about 230 or so, spanked the e30 m3 and 325 stroker cars. Nice piece, until he put it into the wall a PIR. Yes a belt driven blower on a 4 banger.

Xlration Marine
08-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Check this out.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VHtgXi-B9dA

BIGRRNU
08-09-2007, 12:44 PM
That's cool maybe you fall in to the bull-dike chick that wish she had balls catagory??? Don't steal my truck okay.
OH,never mind youre a 909er

duffster
08-09-2007, 12:53 PM
OH,never mind youre a 909er
It's all good

Caljamr
08-09-2007, 01:11 PM
miata?.....lmao I don't think i've ever heard a man recommend a miata.
A guy at my work has a miata and he has a pony tail. I've been fooled more than once. SUCKS!!!!

Dave C
08-09-2007, 01:51 PM
What about a Subaru WRX and Mitsu EVO.. those four bangers haul ass...... they are boxy POS but still turbo charged and AWD.... :D
My cousin has a minicooper. She seems to like it. :D

Froggystyle
08-09-2007, 02:48 PM
There are regular motorhomes, the new mid engine diesel setups that have a mini up in the back. Not a toter, but a motorhome. Now that would be trick, your car under the bed.
Andy
Mine will almost do it. I saw a configuration with Renegade that will allow a larger lift gate than I have, with a tag axle and a slightly taller rear to allow the Rhino or the Mini. I would turn the rear end into a living quarters above the garage, with a really tight "prep" area in front of the stairs to the bed so we can have a bit of privacy.
As it is, our toter, or as it is more appropriately called "motor-garage" has two beds in the garage, but Audrey and I sleep over the cab. That is great, but anyone who needs to hit the head that is staying with us (usually at least one other couple at the river, and often two employees in the garage) need to be in your space. I figure that I am paying for the damn thing... I should get the privacy! :D
The next one will be slightly too long to be legal, but I am going to take my chances after seeing what lots of people are putting down the road. I am going with either a Volvo or a new Freightliner chassis, tag axle, big enough garage for a Mini, rear vanity/closet/living space with a door to the garage and to the main compartment and everything else about the same as we have now, except with some slides.
This would be perfect for a family, but I just want more power, more garage and a slide or two.
I will definitely be logo'ing it up. I think it would look really cool done up.

hkunz
08-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Froggy,
We've had a Mini Cooper S for about three years now. Awesome car. Warranty is also amazing, as long as you live near a Mini dealer (we've had to truck ours from Bakersfield to Universal City, on their dime). Ours is the supercharged model with a 6 speed. If you turn off the computer, the front tires just smoke in 1st and 2nd. You only do that once, as the Dunlops cost over $350 each and require both a special order to get and a special machine to change. We had to order a pair from Phoenix so Discount/America's Tire in Havasu could change them.
Ours was rated stock at 190, but we have the overdrive pulley and air cleaner kit, so we're about 215. Kinda like a big block in a 16' jet boat, you don't need a whole lot more power due to the light weight of the car. (and you guys are both thin) The computer limits top speed to 148, but I'll have to take the test driver's word on that. We cruise it from Bako to Havasu just under three digits and get about 26 to 28 MPG on premium. It rattles on both regular or half n half.
Weight does make a difference - I put 200 pounds of fertilizer in the back and it slowed the car just a mite, although stance and handling didn't change much.
Around town, you can scoot between traffic very nicely. You will get lots of looks, too. People either love them or hate them. They fit very nicely into most any parking stall, corner like a slot car (unless you turn the computer off) get great mileage, and haul a couple of large people like us very comfortably. The guy who sold it to us is a long time friend, about 6'3" and 250, and when he took it in trade he had to test drive it. He figured he'd never fit in it, but he fit just fine. You met "the kids" last weekend, and THEY can drive it just fine. The back seat is best for little ones, or a single adult who doesn't mind riding sideways. Killer stereo, too - Harmon Kardon designed into the structure.
We'd get another, if we needed it, but this one should last us several more years, then we'll be retiring and won't need a fast commuter.
Any other questions?
Mike

Froggystyle
08-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Froggy,
We've had a Mini Cooper S for about three years now. Awesome car. Warranty is also amazing, as long as you live near a Mini dealer (we've had to truck ours from Bakersfield to Universal City, on their dime). Ours is the supercharged model with a 6 speed. If you turn off the computer, the front tires just smoke in 1st and 2nd. You only do that once, as the Dunlops cost over $350 each and require both a special order to get and a special machine to change. We had to order a pair from Phoenix so Discount/America's Tire in Havasu could change them.
Ours was rated stock at 190, but we have the overdrive pulley and air cleaner kit, so we're about 215. Kinda like a big block in a 16' jet boat, you don't need a whole lot more power due to the light weight of the car. (and you guys are both thin) The computer limits top speed to 148, but I'll have to take the test driver's word on that. We cruise it from Bako to Havasu just under three digits and get about 26 to 28 MPG on premium. It rattles on both regular or half n half.
Weight does make a difference - I put 200 pounds of fertilizer in the back and it slowed the car just a mite, although stance and handling didn't change much.
Around town, you can scoot between traffic very nicely. You will get lots of looks, too. People either love them or hate them. They fit very nicely into most any parking stall, corner like a slot car (unless you turn the computer off) get great mileage, and haul a couple of large people like us very comfortably. The guy who sold it to us is a long time friend, about 6'3" and 250, and when he took it in trade he had to test drive it. He figured he'd never fit in it, but he fit just fine. You met "the kids" last weekend, and THEY can drive it just fine. The back seat is best for little ones, or a single adult who doesn't mind riding sideways. Killer stereo, too - Harmon Kardon designed into the structure.
We'd get another, if we needed it, but this one should last us several more years, then we'll be retiring and won't need a fast commuter.
Any other questions?
Mike
No, I appreciate the input! We are about to order a custom built '07 S and I am speaking with Dinan right now about using it as a mule for a Stage 5 kit and suspension for the '07. Bassani will do the exhaust. It will be gone for a little while, but that will give me time to build the new hood for the much larger intercooler and the fresh air intake for the cowl. It will be an evil little car I think...
What I really want are some Empi 8-spokes in an 18" diameter. So far, all I can find is 15".
I think Empi's would look rippin on this little thing with big brakes and low pro tires.

Trailer Park Casanova
08-16-2007, 01:34 PM
I think Photochick has one.
The new turbos and the improvements on the handling are supurb.
Buy her what she wants.
Shop around.
Though the dealers are in collusion on price, some will break from the ranks.

Infomaniac
08-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Audrey is thinking about getting rid of her BMW 5 series wagon at the end of the lease (coming up shortly) and we have strongly considered the new Mini. I took one for a drive yesterday with some motor mods and suspension and it could best be described as two barrels of monkeys. In fact, that was how Car and Driver described it exactly. What a blast to drive. Lots of character, great fuel mileage and we are thinking of building a toterhome a little differently next time, and seeing if we can get this thing in the back of it.
I think it is pretty fly myself. The new ones are turbocharged, and a nice set of rims, a little drop, bigger brakes and some turbo-timer/wastegate work might put it over 200 hp.
Does anyone on here have any experience good or bad with the Mini's? Anyone know a tuner? Anyone race them? Anyone?
Thanks ahead of time.
I think Ryan tunes those. :) I wanted one when they first came out. I'm over it now.

Froggystyle
08-16-2007, 02:06 PM
I think Ryan tunes those. :) I wanted one when they first came out. I'm over it now.
So you figure I could get five minutes out of it, or less? :D
I get more and more hung up on them the closer we get... The website is absolutely superb. Don't be suprised if you see a lot of that kind of stuff in our website soon. Absolutely fun to navigate around in, build your own, paint your own etc... Lots of frivolity too...
I like it. I have already written them and told them as much.

Froggystyle
08-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Though the dealers are in collusion on price, some will break from the ranks.
Any leads to this end?

hkunz
08-16-2007, 02:47 PM
It will be an evil little car I think...
What I really want are some Empi 8-spokes in an 18" diameter. So far, all I can find is 15".
I think Empi's would look rippin on this little thing with big brakes and low pro tires.
The "Minilites" that we have on our '03 are an 8 spoke that look just like the old Empis, but they are 17s. I don't think you could get a smaller wheel over the calipers.

Froggystyle
08-16-2007, 02:59 PM
The "Minilites" that we have on our '03 are an 8 spoke that look just like the old Empis, but they are 17s. I don't think you could get a smaller wheel over the calipers.
Who makes them?