PDA

View Full Version : Water temps

Big Inch
08-08-2007, 03:45 PM
What water temps are you guys seeing in your boats? Mine is running at about 95 under load and it concerns me.
Please accept my apologies for asking a boating question here :D :D :D

Magic34
08-08-2007, 03:51 PM
150-170 in all of my boats. Merc 575s to 496 HOs.

dunaholic
08-08-2007, 03:52 PM
What water temps are you guys seeing in your boats? Mine is running at about 95 under load and it concerns me.
Please accept my apologies for asking a boating question here :D :D :D
It concerns you that it is Only 95 or that it is getting as high as 95?

Magic34
08-08-2007, 03:55 PM
It concerns you that it is Only 95 or that it is getting as high as 95?
His gauge is broken or he boats in Alaskan waters.

dunaholic
08-08-2007, 03:57 PM
His gauge is broken or he boats in Alaskan waters.
That's what I was thinking. Also could be a jet boat that may not have a thermostat in it.

River Lynchmob
08-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Neither of my boats even register temp on the guage. I boat in Parker and do not run thermostats but the water intake runs through the exhaust mainfolds before it runs into the engine to preheat it a bit.

Big Inch
08-08-2007, 04:15 PM
95 degrees is what it is heating up to while boating out in Havasu. My gauge or sending unit is not broken. I took a pyrometer with me last time and took readings off the motor and my highest reading was 99 degrees. It is plumbed to preheat the water prior to entering the block. It goes thru the steering and oil cooler then thru the exhaust manifold before entering the motor then goes out thru the risers. I have put a 160 thermostat in it but would really rather not run the thermostat if the motor will function properly at these temps. The motor runs stone cold for some reason. If you open the hatch immediately after a hard run across Havasu you can literally chip the ice off the intake manifold.

40FlatDeck
08-08-2007, 04:29 PM
I wouldn't worry so much. I run right at 110, my engine builder says the cooler the better. I have a big blower motor if it makes any difference.....

40FlatDeck
08-08-2007, 04:30 PM
150-170 in all of my boats. Merc 575s to 496 HOs.
I'm not sure how you can call yourself a man with that 496!!:D ;)

Magic34
08-08-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm not sure how you can call yourself a man with that 496!!:D ;)
Whatever... Your sticks never even pass the first notch.
I'll remember that when we are floating under the bridge and I have the BBQ fired up. :D

HPBoats83
08-08-2007, 04:51 PM
I run between 135 wide open and when I come off the sticks it goes up to about 170ish sometimes 180 but never over that. I have a Volvo Penta 454.

SB
08-08-2007, 04:56 PM
If you open the hatch immediately after a hard run across Havasu you can literally chip the ice off the intake manifold.
Odd.
I run about 120 in a jet. Are you burning a lot of fuel?
I've reported you to Hillary, once your cat conv. is installed you will run hotter.:D

Big Inch
08-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Odd.
I run about 120 in a jet. Are you burning a lot of fuel?
I've reported you to Hillary, once your cat conv. is installed you will run hotter.:D
I would say it does pretty well on fuel considering I run an 1150 Dominator.
Exactly what would this cat converter convert my cat to?

Classic Daycruiser
08-08-2007, 11:10 PM
95 is a little low. What temp thermostat are you running. I would think 135-150F is about right for a freshwater system

BajaMike
08-08-2007, 11:28 PM
If you open the hatch immediately after a hard run across Havasu you can literally chip the ice off the intake manifold.
Did they install an ice maker on top of your motor??? j/k.
Seriously.......those temps seem really low to me.....:confused:

Jordy
08-08-2007, 11:28 PM
I took a pyrometer with me last time and took readings off the motor and my highest reading was 99 degrees.
So you used a pyrometer (exhaust temp gauge) to measure your engine water temp??? Hmmm... :idea: :jawdrop: :D

Big Inch
08-08-2007, 11:41 PM
So you used a pyrometer (exhaust temp gauge) to measure your engine water temp??? Hmmm... :idea: :jawdrop: :D
No I used a hand held pointable infrared pyrometer. You can take a reading off basically anything. Just point and click. When I put it on my braided water lines it gave these readings which were consistent with my temp gauge.
Classic Daycruiser- I installed a 160 thermostat which is the lowest I was able to find but I do not like running one so trying to get opinions on whether or not I should just let it run at 95ish temps or find another way to bring the temps up.

SB
08-09-2007, 06:51 AM
catalytic converter, they get hot, guess it wasn't that funny. :D
I still find it odd that you are running in 100 degree heat with warm intake water and your engine is colder than that.
But if everything runs ok, I wouldn't worry about it.

Jbb
08-09-2007, 07:00 AM
I like it best.....when my temp gage never moves...:D
cool is good when one worries about detonation

HPBoats83
08-09-2007, 07:09 AM
No I used a hand held pointable infrared pyrometer. You can take a reading off basically anything. Just point and click. When I put it on my braided water lines it gave these readings which were consistent with my temp gauge.
Classic Daycruiser- I installed a 160 thermostat which is the lowest I was able to find but I do not like running one so trying to get opinions on whether or not I should just let it run at 95ish temps or find another way to bring the temps up.
Just out of curiosity why don't you like running a thermostat, I thought you needed one? I must be missing something here.

Big Inch
08-09-2007, 07:30 AM
catalytic converter, they get hot, guess it wasn't that funny. :D
It was I was trying to be funny back. Cat converter...Boat is a "Cat"amaran...Cat converter..convert my cat to? aww nm;)

H20Advantage
08-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Mine stays at 149 to 150 here in Havi in the summer on a stock Merc 525. If it starts to go above that I know its time for a new impellor.

Big Inch
08-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Just out of curiosity why don't you like running a thermostat, I thought you needed one? I must be missing something here.
You do not need a thermostat. A thermostat is used to help bring the motor up to a set temperature. There are a few reasons why I don't like to run a thermostat.
They can stick. When they are open they still restrict flow. When they are closed they eliminate flow or in my case I drilled two 1/4 inch holes around the edge of the thermostat so it will always have flow but nonetheless this means that until it opens, my pipes will have less water running thru them making them 1. hotter and 2. louder where my boat is already very loud and I don't like tickets. The biggest reason though is probably because when the thermostat is closed it creates a lot of back pressure which isn't necessarily good for your motor and also all the pressure increases your chance of having a water hose come off and overheating then sinking your boat.