PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to change out motors?

Traveler
08-08-2003, 11:23 AM
Just bought a 65 hp, older 70's mercury, and need to remove our 60's 33 hp Evinrude. Is it pretty straite forward, just remove the old one with all the cables and just replace it with the "new" one? The mercury doesn't come with trim & tilt so I don't think I have to worry about that for now (just learned what that meant too), just have to continue doing it by hand.
Any advice would help, I don't know anything about boats.
Thank you
Deb

HavasuDreamin'
08-08-2003, 11:40 AM
You might have some issues with your steering, throttle, and shift cables. The Johnrudes might not mate up to the Merc. Also, your tach will probably be out of wack because Merc requires a 12 pulse setting on the tach where as the Johnrude is something different (not sure what it is). Other than that, unbolt, and rebolt. Good Luck

Traveler
08-08-2003, 01:57 PM
Well, at least the tach issue won't be a problem, we don't have one, not even a speedometer. The motor is suppose to come with all wires and cables, if it does, this should work, right?
Thanks again.

MAXIMUS
08-08-2003, 02:53 PM
Correct me if Im worng but I believe the wing nuts should be the same on the C-clamps? :confused: Also the fuel line from the portable gas can with the prime ball should plug right back in also. :)
Good luck & safe boating! :)
[ August 08, 2003, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: MAXIMUS ]

sorry dog
08-08-2003, 06:37 PM
Maxingill- Why don't you go back to the mine is bigger than yours forum before somebody takes you seriously. eek!
The mounting pattern could be different so you might have to seal up old holes and drill a couple of new ones. I think that merc is truly a clamp on on the top(laugh it up Maxipad) so check the spacing on the bottom two. In any case, make sure to seal up the holes Really good. I use 3M 4200 fast acting silicone (it should be at Walmart). Some folks use 5200 but that stuff is so strong that it usually takes paint and other things with coming apart.
Makes sure the control box comes with it. Your prop needs will change to. You'll probably want to get a tach to help out choosing a prop.

Traveler
08-08-2003, 07:50 PM
OK, now you've lost me. The controls and all the hardware will be with it but I'm confused about the prop. Maybe I don't know what a prop is, no, make that I don't know.
Now I'm thinking I should take it to a marine shop to have them switch out the motors. I got the motor for $700 plus $100 for shipping. If this gets too expensive I'm afraid I've been taken.

Traveler
08-08-2003, 10:06 PM
OK, the prop is the propeller, right? If I'd just thougjht about the word when you mentioned it. Anyway, that comes with it as well. Should that work?

MAXIMUS
08-09-2003, 06:53 AM
It's MAXIMUS... :)

sorry dog
08-09-2003, 08:54 AM
Anyway, that comes with it as well. Should that work? Maybe - maybe not. Different boats need different props. Ideally it should be propped to run at high 5k's rpm at full throttle (so you'll need a tach to see). If it can't run at least low 5's at full throttle you WILL need to change the prop or motor damage can occur.
Also, that motor is light enough than two guys could muscle it around but a lifting ring (around $35) and a chain hoist makes life much easier.
Did you get any type of guarantee's with the motor? It might need to be checked out before you hit the water with it. The price you paid for the motor is a bit on the high side in my opinion but not unreasonable (assuming it is in good running order).

sorry dog
08-09-2003, 08:59 AM
It's MAXIMUSK... Oh, OK. Lemme know how that works with the ladies eek!