PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell newbie advice?

hkunz
08-08-2007, 04:40 PM
We are looking forward to our first trip to Lake Powell starting on Labor Day. We'll be in a motel in Page, the Best Western, I think. From what I've gathered, we should put in at Antelope to avoid the "washing machine". Is that good info? Where are some good spots to eat in town? Are there any cool boat up restaraunts like Topoc Marina? Is it better to try to push up lake towards Dangling, or hang back and explore the lower sections? We went to Trinity a few years back and it was a great change from Havasu's heat and crowds. What else can I expect at Powell? Anything great I should be sure to get to that I don't know enough to ask about?

pw_Tony
08-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Are you going to get a house boat? I always thought the middle, or the north side of the lake had much better sceniery

hkunz
08-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Nope, no houseboat, although I've noticed quite a few folks on here seem to rent the houseboat and then take their ***boat as well. We'll be in a motel at night, still not sure how the boat/trailer/pickup parking situation will work out.
Since our new boat takes premium, we'll have to see how far we can go on a tank, since some of the marinas on the water don't have premium. I will have two cans for race gas to mix with regular if needs be, but I'd rather just use prefab fuel. The math is too hard for a vacation:)

CMac
08-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Take a VHF hanheld radio, it's a must.
Get a good map of the lake or a map GPS so you can follow the markers.
You can start exploring pretty close to launch at Navajo. It's just around the corner after you leave Antelope Marina. It will give you plenty of sights and an idea of your gas usage.
Antelope has a resturant/bar on the water. Slips for the bar are around the back of the rental house boats. You cut around just inside the tires from the west end of the no wake zone.

pw_Tony
08-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Once you figure out your gas situation yah got to get out and beyond Rainbow bridge and farther. Right there next to Paige is kinda bland and normal lake looking.
Are you bringing the Tahiti as well?

Chico&Zeus
08-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Get a map, I personally love the "Stan Jones" map of lake Powell, it has tons of information, names of all of the canyons and coves, mile markers and more. I paid $4.50 at World of Maps in Phoenix, then another $4.50 to have it laminated, great to look at and then check GPS to see where you are, like CMac said, VHF radio is needed also, it's a big lake, kinda scary if you need help and no one is around.

AzLakeLizard
08-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Ok.. either PM Titties and Beer or Mardonzi form your maps of the lake.. they even have GPS markings for many of our sites...
yes you will miss the "washing Machine" if you launch at Antalope... and then you head up lake.. you can make your first real left turn into NAVAJO canyon... a bit up lake and see many a site that is NOT bland.. ya know.. it is like in Michigan.. you have your lower lakers.. and your upers.. lol.. this whole lake is frikking awesome!.. I will stop yapping now.. and let you ask more questions!:D :devil:

AirtimeLavey
08-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Did this last year. You will still get some washing machine from Antelope, but not as much as if you launched at Wahweap. Watch out for the tour boat and houseboat wakes while in the canyon! Also, stay between the markers, you will be less likely to hit one of the submerged rocks. We liked Padre bay for skiing/wakeboarding and day camping. Def. check out rainbow rock. Take a rake to clear the beach of the sticky thorns. Those things are a biatch.
If you don't have one, get a VHF and a GPS. I got a handheld combo unit (VHF, GPS, Weather) by Uniden, called a Mystic. With GPS, you don't have to stop and pull out paper maps that can be confusing. Good to have paper maps as back up. GPS is invaluable. Know where the marinas are, and keep on eye on your gas.
We stayed at Best W. as well. Boat parking was an issue. Just go talk to the owner of the BBQ rest./bar behind the hotel. If you're nice, she'll let you park in their lot. Great place for dinner, too. They have a live band on some nights. A couple blocks up from the BW is a good Italian place.
Keep an eye on the weather and have fun. It's an awesome place. :D

CMac
08-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Down load this and fill it out. It will help you get through the gate with out a wash down.
http://www.nps.gov/glca/parknews/upload/Final%20Self%20Cert%20Packet%20May%2022.pdf

Magic34
08-08-2007, 11:24 PM
As said above, if you see a tour boat SLOW down!!! The rollers that come off those things are massive and will launch you, however they are spaced oddly and you will land right on top of the next one. Take them slow and be prepared for them, they will show up out of nowhere if you are not paying attention to the tour boats.

shirkey4750
08-09-2007, 04:27 AM
Just had a friend come back there, said it was awesome. He rented a houseboat for the week. $5000 for the week.

franky
08-09-2007, 04:53 AM
August is monsoon time. Pay attention. If it STARTS looking nasty, make sure you have a cove to hang out in. Yuo DO NOT want to be on the main channel/body when the wind comes up, believe me.
Its a long ways but once youmake it past Dangling Rope, he crowds really thin out.
Go to Rainbow in the early morning or evening. That way you don't have to put up with the tour boats full of cigarete smoking throw the butt on the ground euros.
Great Mexican food place on the main road past the Chevron on the left, a motel next door. The steak house on the side street to the left as you come up the hill is good also. Breakfast at the Lodge and the restaurant at the Marriot are OK too. But best is BBQ on the beach.

franky
08-09-2007, 04:55 AM
As said above, if you see a tour boat SLOW down!!! The rollers that come off those things are massive and will launch you, however they are spaced oddly and you will land right on top of the next one. Take them slow and be prepared for them, they will show up out of nowhere if you are not paying attention to the tour boats.
Also, if you see Magic34's boat (it is about as big as the tour boat), same problem. Prepare to launch

AzLakeLizard
08-09-2007, 06:05 AM
If you have been in the infected waters.. It is easy enough to go through their wash.. It is between 2 and 5 bucks.. Better safe than sorry.. We don't need no stinking "mussels" in our beautiful lake!!!
:)
Down load this and fill it out. It will help you get through the gate with out a wash down.
http://www.nps.gov/glca/parknews/upload/Final%20Self%20Cert%20Packet%20May%2022.pdf

AzLakeLizard
08-09-2007, 06:06 AM
Yep.. "mystery wakes".. Just ask TnB... lmao:jawdrop:

Magic34
08-09-2007, 06:42 AM
August is monsoon time. Pay attention. If it STARTS looking nasty, make sure you have a cove to hang out in. Yuo DO NOT want to be on the main channel/body when the wind comes up, believe me.
Its a long ways but once youmake it past Dangling Rope, he crowds really thin out.
Go to Rainbow in the early morning or evening. That way you don't have to put up with the tour boats full of cigarete smoking throw the butt on the ground euros.
Great Mexican food place on the main road past the Chevron on the left, a motel next door. The steak house on the side street to the left as you come up the hill is good also. Breakfast at the Lodge and the restaurant at the Marriot are OK too. But best is BBQ on the beach.
If you are in a canyon for a fwe hours, dont forget that the only sky you see is directly above you. Be sure to head out of the canyon after 90 mintues or so to take a look at weather on the horizon.

Mardonzi
08-09-2007, 06:54 AM
There is definately a difference between the upper lake and lower lake, scenery wise. Launching from Antelope, Navajo Canyon is the first canyon on the rught as you are heading uplake. The canyon itself winds back quite a ways and then splits into 2 canyons. Chaol canyon is a pretty canyon if you enjoy a bit of a hike. One thing to take into consideration once you start getting into the smaller canyons and hiking is the weather. If there is any hint of rain around, stay out of them due to the possibility of flash floods.
After you hit Padre Bay, (Bouy 23) any of the canyons past that on the right hand side are cool to explore by boat. This includes Face canyon, West canyon, Dungeon and Mountain sheep canyon.
Fuel availibility.
I'm not sure what you run fuel wise. With my boat with blower motors, If I am going to run way uplake, I fuel up with AvGas at the airport and then top off with 87 at Dangling rope. This keeps the Octane level high enough to make it uplake. There are only 2 marinas that carry 91 Octane. Antelope Point and Halls Crossing.
By Labor Day, most of the monsoons should be over, but I have seen freak storms come in. If you do have a VHF radio, the Park Service will brodcast a warning on Channel 16 of any impending storms coming up.
Map wise, Stan Jones maps are the only way to go. They sell them at all the marinas as well as the grocery stores in town. They have a detailed list of all the canyons on the lake and any points of interest are shown both on the map and in the narrative. Well worth the cost to get one.

20" gun's
08-09-2007, 07:09 AM
Your 600 will run on the 87. If you are worried bring some octane booster. Its nice to have another boat just in case. Wish you luck.

Magic34
08-09-2007, 07:23 AM
There is definately a difference between the upper lake and lower lake, scenery wise. Launching from Antelope, Navajo Canyon is the first canyon on the rught as you are heading uplake. The canyon itself winds back quite a ways and then splits into 2 canyons. Chaol canyon is a pretty canyon if you enjoy a bit of a hike. One thing to take into consideration once you start getting into the smaller canyons and hiking is the weather. If there is any hint of rain around, stay out of them due to the possibility of flash floods.
After you hit Padre Bay, (Bouy 23) any of the canyons past that on the right hand side are cool to explore by boat. This includes Face canyon, West canyon, Dungeon and Mountain sheep canyon.
Fuel availibility.
I'm not sure what you run fuel wise. With my boat with blower motors, If I am going to run way uplake, I fuel up with AvGas at the airport and then top off with 87 at Dangling rope. This keeps the Octane level high enough to make it uplake. There are only 2 marinas that carry 91 Octane. Antelope Point and Halls Crossing.
By Labor Day, most of the monsoons should be over, but I have seen freak storms come in. If you do have a VHF radio, the Park Service will brodcast a warning on Channel 16 of any impending storms coming up.
Map wise, Stan Jones maps are the only way to go. They sell them at all the marinas as well as the grocery stores in town. They have a detailed list of all the canyons on the lake and any points of interest are shown both on the map and in the narrative. Well worth the cost to get one.
If you are full on super unleaded and head up lake to dangling rope, immediately stop at DR to top off. That way you are mixing with as much super as possible.
I had a high compression motor in my 29' Magic, and I did it this way. You lose a point or 2 of compression due to the altitude and the motor can perform on lower octane fuel without damaging it. I just wouldn't fill up the entire tank with it. 1/2 tank of 91 and 1/2 tank of 87 should give you a good midgrade blend. :D
I have had issues with octane booster fouling plugs, so I stay away from that stuff. It also messes up your powdercoat if you spill any of it.

OLD MAN ON THE LAKE
08-09-2007, 09:05 AM
Put in at Antelope early. 7am or earlier.Go straight to Rainbow Bridge.After Rainbow top tanks at Dangling Rope.The earlier you go the better.If you can return to Antelope at DarkThirty that is also the best.Read the maps and pay close attention to the channel markers,its easy to get out of the channel at 40 plus MPH.Go well prepared Mother Nature can kick your ass.Get ready to see one of the most beautiful places on earth.

hkunz
08-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Once you figure out your gas situation yah got to get out and beyond Rainbow bridge and farther. Right there next to Paige is kinda bland and normal lake looking.
Are you bringing the Tahiti as well?
Not taking the Tahiti, we've had way too much fun with it in big water on Havasu. Plus, I can only drive one boat at a time:D

20" gun's
08-09-2007, 08:43 PM
I did the half and half thing with my last boat. It had 850hp ran just fine. Filled it up with just straight 87. Broke a roller rocker due to spark knock. Did half and half several times with no problem though. Don't use the marine grade octane booster. It does not have ethanol. Bring your own. I have never had it gum up plugs if you buy the right stuff. And I dont see how it would. It increases octane which burns hotter and cleaner. But buy the right stuff.

hkunz
08-14-2007, 05:55 PM
I'm wondering if the octane and elevation relationship (not sure I know how to state this) is as relevant with the supercharger. Our Mini Cooper takes premium because it has a blower, and it doesn't seem to care what the altitude is, although, admittedly, the Grapevine and Tehachapi (~4,000 ft) are about as elevated as we get. I remeber reading somewhere that the P-51 Mustangs were fitted with superchargers so they could get more altitude than the Messershmitts (sp?). They also had nitrous oxide and water injection systems in various models.
Has anyone run a supercharged boat motor at Powell on the lower octane fuel?

CMac
08-14-2007, 06:29 PM
If you have been in the infected waters.. It is easy enough to go through their wash.. It is between 2 and 5 bucks.. Better safe than sorry.. We don't need no stinking "mussels" in our beautiful lake!!!
:)
Yep, I agree, didn't mean to imply the form would help you sneak through the gates.
If the form is answered honostly, you get through without a wash.
No mussels in Powell!!:D