PDA

View Full Version : Oil Injection:

Momsworry
10-27-2002, 01:56 PM
I recently purchased a boat with a late 90's Mercury 75, with oil injection. Someone told me I would be better off to just premix the oil/gas and forget the oil injection. Others have told me that the injection system works fine and is reliable. Can anyone shed any more light on this? Thanks.

snappertapper
10-27-2002, 04:18 PM
You are better off without the oil injection, from what i have been told mercury uses plastic oil pump drive gears and they strip so my advice is unhook it.

Momsworry
10-27-2002, 05:42 PM
When you say "unhook it", do you mean pull whatever acutates the pump, or just premix the gas and forget about adding oil to the resevoir? What all must I do??? What if I premixed some and let the injection system take care of some? Would that take care of any possible disaster, should the pump quit?

TIMEBOMB
10-27-2002, 05:52 PM
Get rid of the oil injection!!!! If you run both you will never know what your true oil to gas mixture is. Pull the oil pump off, pull the shaft and either fab up a cover plate or put the pump back on. get rid of the oil tank and the low oil warning float. If you don't get rid of the float the warning horn will always sound. eek! If you have a external tank get rid of that and all the hoses also. good luck, Gary :cool:

snappertapper
10-28-2002, 04:31 AM
Do as he said. it should work

COUGARMAN
10-29-2002, 05:25 PM
WELL HERE IS MY TWO CENTS WORTH. IF YOU ARE NOT TURNING REAL HIGH RPMS,WHICH THAT MOTOR WITH THE RIGHT PROP IS NOT GOING TO, LEAVE IT ALONE. NO REASON TO MESS WITH MIXING. THE GEAR THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT WILL BE OK UNLESS YOU ARE TURNING IN THE HIGH 6S IN RPMS. VERY DOUBTFULL YOU WILL SEE THEM RPMS. OK, THAT WAS LESS THEN TWO CENTS, ANYBODY GOT CHANGE?
COUGARMAN

Momsworry
10-29-2002, 07:47 PM
Thanks to all for your responses. The last one, I recently had someone else tell me. That is, to leave it alone and enjoy the ease of not mixing. This fellow said that he has owned at least two large Merks with oil injection, and has had no problems whatsoever with either of them. I think I'll leave it alone, at least until the motor gets high on hours, if I keep it that long.