PDA

View Full Version : TUNERS

COUGARMAN
05-09-2002, 02:34 PM
Ok, here is my problem. I have a 225 Pro Max geting a little performance work done by G-Force. He makes tuners that he says will give me 15 more horsepower compared to others 7 to 8 horsepower of others.That sounds good except he wont have any made for about a month. I cant wait that long to put my motor back on my boat.Anyone out there up on there tuners or know where I can find out or read about them? He said they did some testing on this subject and thats how he knows this.ANY HELP APPRECIATED.

cavey lavey
05-09-2002, 10:44 PM
PATIANCE, G FORCE HAS A GREAT CONCEPT, BUT THEY NEED TO GET ON THE BALL WITH PRODUCTION.

HavasuDreamin'
05-10-2002, 05:54 AM
G-Force is the tuner you want. If it were me, I would put the motor back together with the stock tuner and run it until G-Force was able to send me one. Once you receive the G-Force, it is a simple process to pull the powerhead and slip the new tuner in, the drop the power head right back on. All you will need is a new gasket going from the powerhead to the midsection. Good Luck

MercNuts
05-14-2002, 07:54 PM
It's about time this witchcraft got burned at the stake. These aftermarket tuners don't help. Talk to somebody that's made that change and nothing else and if they tell you the truth they'll say they couldn't read it on the speedometer. Rumor has it that they crack and come off too. Everybody that I ever met that thinks a tuner helped made other changes at the same time.

COUGARMAN
05-16-2002, 05:51 PM
Anybody else got 2 cents on this?

MercNuts
05-16-2002, 06:50 PM
There's been a lot of discussion over time on this issue on ScreamandFly.
http://forums.screamandfly.com/index.php
Why don't you try doing a search there?

Cactus Jack
06-10-2002, 10:58 PM
Tuners are snake oil. The best tuner for a merc is a stock 2.5 hi-perf tuner. The aftermarket tuners usually offer shorter length and/or a larger inner passage. They just raise the rpm point at where the motor keeps making power, but sacrifice low and midrange. Your motor has a rev limiter. Even if it doesnt have one, are you going to rev it over 8500? I installed a land and sea 1 pc tuner/exhaust adaptor on my 2.5. I lost midrange and bottom end and I saw no increase on top. JSRE and others have done testing and found the merc tuner to be as good or better than any of the aftermarket stuff. Go to Screamandfly.com and do a search as suggested by MercNuts.
CJ

ZSARGO
06-11-2002, 07:47 PM
I INSTALLED A G FORCE TUNER ON MY 22 DCB ABOUT TWO TRIPS AGO. RUNS THE SAME, RPM THE SAME. IT SOUNDS LIKE IT GOES FASTER THOUGH.

Whatboat
06-26-2002, 06:13 PM
A good tuner is the short bell shaped tuner out of a XR4. On a stock 2.5 you will lose a couple of horses on the low end but gain 10 or so on the high end.

Rickracer
07-21-2002, 04:07 AM
I wouldn't wait to put a tuner in. I do sell the Bob's for $61.00 + shipping, but I tend to agree with most that a tuner isn't going to make the difference that a lot of folks think it will. All a tuner is capable of doing is moving the "powerband" up or down a bit, but won't ultimately make "more power".

O/B Dude
08-13-2004, 04:43 PM
I don't think a tuner will help you if you already have a 2.5 bell type tuner on it. In my experience a tuner swap is a great way to wake up a motor, but only if it has a long restrictive tuner on it now. In example, putting a 2.5 HiPerf tuner on a 2.5 fishing motor. They came with the long tuner. Swapping a shorter bell tuner will pick up some top end hp, but you will really see a difference if you have a restricted exhaust passage in the block like on some of the old 150's and 175's. Grind open the exhaust passages to match a 2.4 BP exhaust adaptor gasket and bolt on a bell tuner and you're all set. I havent seen these "blockages" in the newer motors. Merc used exhaust restriction to "detune" motors for lower HP ratings. I also wouldn't recommend you read the tuner stuff on screamandfly that some guy named "raceman" posts. He is not a guru and has the tuner issue all wrong.

You Te
08-14-2004, 03:27 PM
I had a stock tuner on a stock Merc 260 EFI a long while back. I was told by Gene (G-Froce) his tuner was good for about 15 HP. I bolted in on and nothing, RPM was the same, top speed the same, ET 1/4 mile the same.
One day about a year later I heard a rattle at the bottom of the tower housing, to my surprise is was the tuner.
Even with the tuner at the bottom of the tower housing the motor ran the same.
That is just my experience with the HP 260 motor, maybe on other motors it might help.
You Te

yomama
08-17-2004, 02:17 PM
I recently purchased a used Stoker with a 2.5 EFI, 260 Merc.
I also heard a rattle in the tower housing.....bingo....G-Force tuner
banging around. Tubes cracked clean off the flange.....reinforcement
strap and all. Stocker is going back on !!!!