PDA

View Full Version : boat collision

Jerrys59
08-10-2007, 02:56 AM
Police search for boat after fatal collision
Thursday, August 9, 2007 8:55 PM MST
A man was killed Thursday after being struck by a boat near Topock Marina, the area's second water-related death this week.
The man, whose identity was not released, was riding a personal watercraft, said Sgt. Tim Smith of the San Bernardino County Sheriff's office. The collision happened around 3:30 p.m.
Authorities were still searching Thursday night for the boat involved in the crash.
It was described as a 30-foot Fountain boat with red and black checkering on its side, Smith said. It was last seen headed south toward Lake Havasu.
Sara Margiotta, 10, of Temecula, Calif., died Saturday in a two-boat collision about a half-mile south of the Interstate 40 bridge. Four others were injured in the crash but survived.

JetBoatRich
08-10-2007, 03:36 AM
Sucks:mad: hit and run

shueman
08-10-2007, 04:20 AM
Any location of ingress / egress to the river needs to be bouy'd NO WAKE ZONE. This needs to happen NOW. Places like Topock, Moabi, Site Six, Jack Smith, etc. are really "blind" locations to a novice boater not familiar with the area.
Areas like Needles Marina where you have riverfront docks and private beaches need REDUCED SPEED ZONES, as you have the potential for a wide variance of speed and multiple direction movement. This would include Blankenship Bend and many areas along the Parker Strip.
Last of all, the consumption of alcohol on the water needs to be addressed. How much carnage does it take, how many MORE lives need to be lost, before we do something about it...:eek:
Yea, I'm an "old fart". I have boated on these waters for over 40 years. I love boating and the boating lifestyle. The river from Davis Dam to Bluewater in Parker WAS my favorite place to play.
Not any longer....

Warlockjer
08-10-2007, 04:42 AM
Well said shueman!!!

Jerrys59
08-10-2007, 04:57 AM
Any location of ingress / egress to the river needs to be bouy'd NO WAKE ZONE. This needs to happen NOW. Places like Topock, Moabi, Site Six, Jack Smith, etc. are really "blind" locations to a novice boater not familiar with the area.
Areas like Needles Marina where you have riverfront docks and private beaches need REDUCED SPEED ZONES, as you have the potential for a wide variance of speed and multiple direction movement. This would include Blankenship Bend and many areas along the Parker Strip.
Last of all, the consumption of alcohol on the water needs to be addressed. How much carnage does it take, how many MORE lives need to be lost, before we do something about it...:eek:
Yea, I'm an "old fart". I have boated on these waters for over 40 years. I love boating and the boating lifestyle. The river from Davis Dam to Bluewater in Parker WAS my favorite place to play.
Not any longer....
Old Fart here too:D

RitcheyRch
08-10-2007, 05:39 AM
Sure hope they catch this guy. Well stated Shueman.

AZJD
08-10-2007, 06:18 AM
You know whe the crappy thing about this is? It was probably 100% the jet skiiers fault, and the driver of the boat was probably drinking, therefore making him at fault.....
I have thought about this a thousand times. What if I get hit and I am at .081, i'm done.... It only takes 2 beers
Another reason the whole drinking and driving the boat dilema really sucks, and everyone does it!

2forcefull
08-10-2007, 06:30 AM
You know whe the crappy thing about this is? It was probably 100% the jet skiiers fault, and the driver of the boat was probably drinking, therefore making him at fault.....
I have thought about this a thousand times. What if I get hit and I am at .081, i'm done.... It only takes 2 beers
Another reason the whole drinking and driving the boat dilema really sucks, and everyone does it!
I don't do it!

Baja Big Dog
08-10-2007, 06:32 AM
Another old fart!

Quest4Fun
08-10-2007, 06:35 AM
That was my first thought too, that the PWC turned in front of the boat...I hate to jump to conclusions about this sort of thing especially when someone has lost their life.

SurfOnH20
08-10-2007, 06:36 AM
You would think this boat wouldn't be hard to find. Just park at the launch ramps and it will eventually surface. Who knows..

Warlockjer
08-10-2007, 06:36 AM
NO, not everyone!!!!!!!!!! And how do YOU know it was 100% the jet skiers fault???????

AZJD
08-10-2007, 06:41 AM
I don't do it!
Next purchase for me:
http://www.breathalcolyzer.com/infoal6000.html
And make sure I am ok! If I am gonna drink while we are all tied up on our local lake then I should be sure. The stop drinking and pound gatorade for an hour method may not be so smart......
Better safe than sorry...... Anchor stays down until i'm under the legal limit.
And I know I am going to take attacks about being completely sober. But, figure it this way. 2 beers puts you close to being over .08 I am just scared to take a chance anymore. Too many idiots out there, and I certainly don't need to be one of them....

AZJD
08-10-2007, 06:43 AM
NO, not everyone!!!!!!!!!! And how do YOU know it was 100% the jet skiers fault???????
How many times have you almost hit a jet skiier and it was your fault. It wasn't an accusation, simmer down.

Miss Perfect
08-10-2007, 06:51 AM
That was my first thought too, that the PWC turned in front of the boat...I hate to jump to conclusions about this sort of thing especially when someone has lost their life.
It was my thought too, but any decent person would have stopped and tried to help.... regardless if they had been drinking or not.

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
08-10-2007, 06:54 AM
It was my thought too, but any decent person would have stopped and tried to help.... regardless if they had been drinking or not.
Agreed!!

drtywhat
08-10-2007, 06:59 AM
I wonder if a boat that big and going fast will even know they hit someone or something. The guy could have been down on his ski and getting back up on it and the boat simply ran over him. I do not think i would feel that in a boat that size, unless I hit the ski and felt it???? just thinking outside the box to give another perspective.

jet4fun
08-10-2007, 07:01 AM
with a boat that size theres even a chance he doesnt know he hit a jet ski... just another thought.:idea:

havaduner
08-10-2007, 07:08 AM
Not any longer....
Dont want to start an argument here with you Shueman, but as far as what you are expressing here should be common sense boating ideas, and old farts and those that were taught boating etiquette by old farts know these are areas to slow down, and look everywhere! Far too many people these days dont do that, and common sense can't be regulated.

Jerrys59
08-10-2007, 07:10 AM
You would think this boat wouldn't be hard to find. Just park at the launch ramps and it will eventually surface. Who knows..
They had all the ramps covered all the way to parker yesterday evening

AZJD
08-10-2007, 07:13 AM
I have come around that corner with the sun dead in my eyes and bouncing off the water so bad you cannot see a thing. It would be really easy to miss the bottom of a jet ski if it was rolled over. I am not making any accusations, nor am I trying to clear anyone. Just seems to me that corner alot could go wrong very easy. There could be 20 different out comes to this accident. No one will know until the boat is found.
I know a few people that have hit debris in the river around topoc. If I snagged a prop or found gel damage when trailering my boat, I wouldn't think twice and chalk it up to debris.

meaniam
08-10-2007, 07:15 AM
with a boat that size theres even a chance he doesnt know he hit a jet ski... just another thought.:idea:
a boat built for the ocean shouldnt be on the river:confused: yet alone hualin ass. not sayin this is the case here. but we all have heard of the 30 ft boat doing 70+. another thing i noticed people like to swim across the river north of the 40. how would you ever see someone going 50+ while battling the 110+ degree temp with the wind.
i have to wonder if hualing ass above the 40 would be wreckless driving in the laws book?

Racey
08-10-2007, 07:18 AM
Maybe you should re-read his post, and he brings up a very very good point. Hypothetically the guy on the PWC could have been at fault, been doing donuts in the center of the river and darted right across the fountains path (I think we have all seen this far too familiar scenario for ourselves before) now this guy has no chance of ever clearing his name because he had a couple beers. It'd be almost impossible to defend yourself against the charges because the prosecution would have the trump card 'He was BUI' which in reality could have had absolutley nothing to do with the situation.
My buddy carries a breathalyzer on his boat. For me blowing a 0.08% is 2 beers, and ZERO impairment. but the law is the law :rolleyes:

conquestcat
08-10-2007, 07:21 AM
lots of old farts in here, and i agree they need to address
all this common sense driving and the drinking is a real
bad issue next thing they might have to be a check point

mobldj
08-10-2007, 07:29 AM
if there was a check point it wouldnt bother me at all,in fact it would stop all the shetfaced a holes from killing me or my friends,when you as you say grow older and become a old fart you look back and realize gettin f'ed up wasnt all that cool,dont be a a hole whoever you are and drink and drive anything.have fun but use your pee brained head.

AZJD
08-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Maybe you should re-read his post, and he brings up a very very good point. Hypothetically the guy on the PWC could have been at fault, been doing donuts in the center of the river and darted right across the fountains path (I think we have all seen this far too familiar scenario for ourselves before) now this guy has no chance of ever clearing his name because he had a couple beers. It'd be almost impossible to defend yourself against the charges because the prosecution would have the trump card 'He was BUI' which in reality could have had absolutley nothing to do with the situation.
My buddy carries a breathalyzer on his boat. For me blowing a 0.08% is 2 beers, and ZERO impairment. but the law is the law :rolleyes:
Thank you! You save me a lot of typing.....:D :D

2Driver
08-10-2007, 07:38 AM
You guys can carry all the breathalyzers you want but in an accident like this if you have any blood alcohol content you are going to be hammered in civil court and quite possible lose a substantial portion of your finances.
Even if you have insurance for the suit your legal bills will be huge. Start with Gatorade and end with it if you plan to be behind the wheel.

BajaMike
08-10-2007, 07:52 AM
Any location of ingress / egress to the river needs to be bouy'd NO WAKE ZONE. This needs to happen NOW. Places like Topock, Moabi, Site Six, Jack Smith, etc. are really "blind" locations to a novice boater not familiar with the area....
I agree with Shueman, boating at high speeds around Topock, Moabi, Site Six, etc is reckless and stupid.....But you don't need a "no wake zone" to know when to slow down and be carefull!
:idea:

AZJD
08-10-2007, 07:56 AM
I agree with Shueman, boating at high speeds around Topock, Moabi, Site Six, etc is reckless and stupid.....But you don't need a "no wake zone" to know when to slow down and be carefull!
:idea:
You would think so....... But I have been passed coming into topoc by boats doing 70+MPH it's crazy to think in that narrow section of moving water you will be able to make an evassive turn or slow down in enough time to avoid an accident or keep from losing control of your boat.

Quest4Fun
08-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Is there anyone on here that hasn't had a close call??? I'm almost to the point of being scared out there - my head is always on a swivel!

AZJD
08-10-2007, 08:10 AM
Is there anyone on here that hasn't had a close call??? I'm almost to the point of being scared out there - my head is always on a swivel!
Hmmm,:idea: BILGE! You got any ideas? :D :D :D

Kyote
08-10-2007, 08:17 AM
A person is DEAD. Somebody knows what happened because there is a description of the boat that left the scene. This is a criminal action and a felony. BUI or not the person ran and did not offer assistance. You are required by maritime law to offer assistance even if you were not involved.
And yes us old guys (first came to Site 6 in 1950) have enjoyed boating the gorge before PWC's and the Big fast boats. It was pretty safe back then.
Copper Canyon used to be a fun place to hang out as well as other places on the lake and river have a few beers enjoy life and go home. Not much of a problem then.
It is a big problem now. Big boats, PWC's, exessive speed, big ego's, inexperience, know-it-all attitudes and BUI are all contributors to this ever increasing crowd on the water.
What's the answer. This old guy doesn't know. I can only hope and pray that things get better. A little angel, Sara Margiotta (10) is to be buried today. I grieve with her family as many ***boat Forums folks do.
There will be another funeral soon for the person mentioned on this thread. Let's not forget what is occuring. It is so much more that trying to evade a BUI citation or liability in an accident.
It is about responsible boating and not hurting or killing yourself or others.

mobldj
08-10-2007, 08:23 AM
sorry had to quote you,like ron burgundy says,you got to keep your head on a SWIVEL,you never know when youll be in a vicious cock fight....lol

Ziggy
08-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Sad that another life had to be taken on our waterways, another day of fun ruined for many. Prayers to this mans family.
Most of boaters have common sense and self preservation in mind while boating but the mass amounts of inexperienced boaters/PWCers has grown to unsafe levels. Manditory training or regulating markers as Shueman suggests are basic visual reminders that could possibly save some lives.
btw---I consider myself a medium fart ;) I ain't as old as Shuey.

westcoastcat
08-10-2007, 08:44 AM
I never liked driving the boat... my job was putting it on and off the trailer, I let my husband deal with the traffic. It has gotten too crazy out there and after reading the posts the last couple of days has really made me stop and think twice about going back out there.

fuzz
08-10-2007, 09:03 AM
I will be back in Topoc in a couple of weeks with my next deckboat. My family is in the foreground.
http://z.about.com/d/history1900s/1/0/r/4/dday30.jpg
:sqeyes: :sqeyes: :sqeyes: :sqeyes:

shueman
08-10-2007, 09:10 AM
by far the best words (post) about all of this nonsense that is presently occuring !!! i have never been up to this topock area nor have seen it from a road, but someone tell me, what is the big deal about this area .... is it real narrow ? is it shallow ?? (and correct me, this area has taken a few lives before ?) keyes :confused:
I am of the opinion that it is quite dangerous, and yes, it has had MORE than it's share of accidents and loss of life in recent times. We take particular caution whenever boating through the area.
The river has quite a sharp bend around the I-40 bridge crossing, folding into the AZ side. You have two long, fairly straight, stretches of water from the North and South.
You have shallow areas on the AZ side, the bridge supports, the entrance to Topock Marina, the entrance to Moabi and it's beaches a little further north. It gets quite congested on busy week-ends, and the late afternoon sun/glare can be a hinderance to southbound traffic.
Not unlike the narrow bends around Buckskin and Big Bend down on the Strip.

unleashed
08-10-2007, 09:37 AM
I am of the opinion that it is quite dangerous, and yes, it has had MORE than it's share of accidents and loss of life in recent times. We take particular caution whenever boating through the area.
The river has quite a sharp bend around the I-40 bridge crossing, folding into the AZ side. You have two long, fairly straight, stretches of water from the North and South.
You have shallow areas on the AZ side, the bridge supports, the entrance to Topock Marina, the entrance to Moabi and it's beaches a little further north. It gets quite congested on busy week-ends, and the late afternoon sun/glare can be a hinderance to southbound traffic.
Not unlike the narrow bends around Buckskin and Big Bend down on the Strip.
IMO that bend with the 2 bridges should all be a nowake zone! I go up there all the time...az side is shallow so that leaves little room for error when boats are heading in opposite directions..then throw in the turn and its a recipe for disaster. I've seen plenty of people almost do head-ons in that area not to mention the big concrete pillars under I-40...suprised more people havent hit those. Myself I am VERY careful when running boats up there. I always assume the people around me are new to the lake hence I give plenty of room for mistakes. I to was a begining boater back in the early 90's and Im sure I made mistakes when first jumping into boating.
Deano
UnleashedHardcoreApparel (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)
UnleashedMyspace (http://www.myspace.com/unleashedhardcore)

sleekcraft80
08-10-2007, 09:59 AM
When I had my other boat, I would not allow any type of alcohol on my boat. This will still hold true when I get my new (new to me) boat on the water. I think by the time it is finished there will be so many restrictions on the river and the lake that it probably won't be fun anymore. It makes me so sad that people have to drink to have fun in their boat and in turn become a danger to others as well as their self.:( :mad: And BTW, I am an OLD FART as well!

AirtimeLavey
08-10-2007, 10:10 AM
IMO that bend with the 2 bridges should all be a nowake zone! I go up there all the time...az side is shallow so that leaves little room for error when boats are heading in opposite directions..then throw in the turn and its a recipe for disaster. I've seen plenty of people almost do head-ons in that area not to mention the big concrete pillars under I-40...suprised more people havent hit those. Myself I am VERY careful when running boats up there. I always assume the people around me are new to the lake hence I give plenty of room for mistakes. I to was a begining boater back in the early 90's and Im sure I made mistakes when first jumping into boating.
Deano
UnleashedHardcoreApparel (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)
UnleashedMyspace (http://www.myspace.com/unleashedhardcore)
I agree. It should start North of the marina and carry down at least past the first turn to the east, south of the bridge. Coming North bound in the late afternoon, the glare from the sun can be really bad in that section. I slow way down just to make sure I'm seeing everything coming through there. Once last year, I almost had to come to a complete stop for a waverunner, not paying attention in there. With the glare, they weren't easy to spot.

spectras only
08-10-2007, 10:16 AM
First of all I'm not buying some claims that the driver of the Fountain didn't see someone in the water at 3.30 PM .
We have our annual pokerrun in Vancouver starting at Rocky Point [ Burrard inlet , part of the ocean ] were we have hundreds of seals around . Every time I'm heading out to the Georgia Strait via the Fraser River , I see a lot of seals popping to the surface looking around . Never felt hitting one that was too close diving under the boat .
However ,Port Moody [ Rocky Point launch facility there] city workers were telling me just a week ago that during last year's pokerrun ,they found 20 seal pups hit by our boats after the start . I never saw a single seal at that time , but it could have been because we were all focusing not hitting each other :) in a somewhat tight area with a bunch of boats taking off at the same time. I had my fare share of hitting debris around our log infested areas [ including knocking off my starboard leg 2 yrs ago :mad: ] and I can tell you , a 2"X 2' piece of wood floating in the water would make enough noise to wake up a hybernating bear , let alone an uprighted jetski or a person:idea:
Obviously the driver of the Fountain freaked out , and will pay the consequence of leaving the injured person behind . :(

DSW
08-10-2007, 10:21 AM
I agree. It should start North of the marina and carry down at least past the first turn to the east, south of the bridge. Coming North bound in the late afternoon, the glare from the sun can be really bad in that section. I slow way down just to make sure I'm seeing everything coming through there. Once last year, I almost had to come to a complete stop for a waverunner, not paying attention in there. With the glare, they weren't easy to spot.
I also agree. The narrow blind turns of the river need to be no-wake. I don't care how many people would bitch about it. If it saves lives then I say go for it. Honestly I'm tired of hearing about people dying on this lake/river.

DogMan
08-10-2007, 10:24 AM
The SBCSO is looking for a 30-foot craft with the word "Fountain" imposed over a black and red checkered pattern on both sides of the fiberglass hull.
I wonder if anyone on this board has seen a boat with this discription?

Outside Dog
08-10-2007, 10:38 AM
I just got home Wed eve from camping at Park Moabie, it was my first time camping there. We arrived sun morning hoping sum of the crowds would have disapated, well so much for that !! Im old now with little children 2 and 3 , we wanted to camp there because of the beach access for my kids. Right before Dark sunday and monday night about 5 or 6 boats went by at a 100 +mph just 50 or 75 feet from the beaches. (one:confused: was a 42ft cat) with very little or no visibility at that time of day. An accident waiting to happen. They have got to put speed limits on the river maybe 35 or so. i've been passed by another boats several times within 15' going 20 mph or more than i was ,with no reguards to safety. something needs to happen !!

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Not any longer....
well said.. I agree..
Oh and yes another old fart.

Seadog
08-10-2007, 10:51 AM
There have been two lives lost due to irresponsible drivers of performance boats. Whether or not you agree with the premise, the facts are that this is the public perception. If you want to keep safe and reasonable access, then the boaters have got to be in frontrunning of making it safe. There should be an effort made to identify what will work and what will not. Scream out for speed limits on dangerous locations. Make the whole body a 25 mph zone from dusk to dawn. Ask for more law enforcement. Make only certain zones available for skiing/wakeboarding and high speed.
If you do not make this a priority for boaters, then the decisions will be a battle between the residents and the bar owners. You will wind up with a bunch of ill-conceived regulations and no enforcement.

shueman
08-10-2007, 02:28 PM
I also agree. The narrow blind turns of the river need to be no-wake. I don't care how many people would bitch about it. If it saves lives then I say go for it. Honestly I'm tired of hearing about people dying on this lake/river.
Thank you for your input. As a community, we need to be responsible citizens and make it safe for ALL. This would be a step in the right direction...

Jerrys59
08-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Wonder if they ever found the boat or driver yet?