PDA

View Full Version : Calgo steering? Is it worth it?

widowmaker
08-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Soon to be changing my doghouse to transom plates on the daytona. I'd like to only do this once. Sure looks like a nice setup, but pricey....

SK48
08-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Just my .02 cents, I would use almost any steering system but Calgo. It might be o.k. for drag racing but in my book thats about it. I have driven hundreds of laps circle racing over the last 30 yrs. , and have never had a steering failure with anything but calgo. I have had calgo fail on three different boats, that were in great shape with low hours on the steering system.

LGCDEVIL
08-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Just my .02 cents, I would use almost any steering system but Calgo. It might be o.k. for drag racing but in my book thats about it. I have driven hundreds of laps circle racing over the last 30 yrs. , and have never had a steering failure with anything but calgo. I have had calgo fail on three different boats, that were in great shape with low hours on the steering system.
Please elaborate......

Dogballs
08-10-2007, 09:57 PM
I think thats a bunch of bull Sch*t.:mad:

Wicked Performance Boats
08-11-2007, 12:25 AM
Just call me stupid BUT what is the advantage of calgo steering!!!! Does it respond faster? Budlight

RCB19
08-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Just call me stupid BUT what is the advantage of calgo steering!!!! Does it respond faster? Budlight
Yes. There is zero slop in the steering.

Blown Income
08-11-2007, 08:21 AM
I like mine. It's smooth and tight. I did have a cable fray on me but the sheathing had a nasty bend in it as it went thru the transom. TPR hooked me up with a new one and Tom (r.i.p.) pulled the tension for me, good as new!

cave
08-11-2007, 08:35 AM
There are a few V-drive guys here that have had theirs for many years. Is it because of the rudder vs nozzle.
I had a really tight steering after a few years. I really thought about this type of steering. Not much tension compared to my teleflex. No room for a rack & pinion.
I have a kinda fix for mine but it would be nice to have near effortless steering.

Wicked Performance Boats
08-13-2007, 04:03 AM
Yes. There is zero slop in the steering.
If you have slop in your steering, you need to fix/or replace it. My steering has no play in it and it's rack and pinion. BL AND it's not tight either!