PDA

View Full Version : Us, Maui, and Flossie....

AZKC
08-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Looks like we have a guest for our trip to Maui this week:)
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36913&stc=1&d=1186973519

RitcheyRch
08-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Heard its gaining some strength.

MBlaster
08-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Trip insurance is a beautiful thing.
My brother was there for Iniki. It was not good.
Good luck, hope she dies down before landfall.

AZKC
08-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Well the surf should be up:D
It should be past Maui just enough on Thursday so we can land:) Its a Cat 4 right now:sqeyes:

AZKC
08-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Trip insurance is a beautiful thing.
My brother was there for Iniki. It was not good.
Good luck, hope she dies down before landfall.
Yeah when you buy it , so we are going come hurricane, valcano or earthquakes. Which they just had also, closing the road to Hana from the West side.

dc96819
08-12-2007, 08:23 PM
If you do get there,check out jaws (tow surfing):sqeyes:

Magic34
08-12-2007, 08:43 PM
My advice...
Stay away from Hawaii during or directly after natural disasters. The people are clueless over there in energency situations.
I flew in 3 hours after the earthquakes last year and it was a mess. Structures were fine, but all the employees from everywhere bolted home. It was everyone for themselves, including the tourists.

bruddah
08-12-2007, 10:16 PM
definately should be good surf! take advantage of that since its summer and usually no bueno!

2Driver
08-13-2007, 11:46 AM
We were due to land in Kauai the day Iniki Cat 5 hit. Needless to say we didn’t even go to the airport, loaded up and went to Powell for 8 days. Both the airline and hotle gave us a full refund without insurance.
Some vacation policies state that the hurricane has to shut things down vs a bad rain and wind storm. If the planes go in late and your hotel is open then the insurance wouldn't do much unless you got a cancel for any reason policy $.
I think worse case is that you are going to have delays getting in. Once there I think the biggest issue will be rain and wind damage depending on where you are going. Surfing near major population centers can be polluted with run-off and unless you are a big wave surfer it might be something just to watch while drinking a Mai Tai.
Good Luck

Magic34
08-13-2007, 11:57 AM
We were due to land in Kauai the day Iniki Cat 5 hit. Needless to say we didn’t even go to the airport, loaded up and went to Powell for 8 days. Both the airline and hotle gave us a full refund without insurance.
Some Vacation policies state that the hurricane has to shut things down vs a bad rain and wind storm. If the planes go in late and your hotel is open then the insurance wouldn't do much unless you got a cancle for any reason policy $.
I think worse case is that you are going to have delays getting in. Once there I think the biggest issue will be rain and wind damage depending on where you are going. Surfing near major population centers can be polluted with run-off and unless you are a big wave surfer it might be something just to watch while drinking a Mai Tai.
Good Luck
When we flew over during that earthquake, we flew Hawaiian. Our planes all landed. All United planes that were inroute, turned and headed back.
United told all their passengers that it was an act of God and that they had to buy new tickets if they wanted to get to Hawaii. So, if they were stranded in LA and lived in Texas, they had to buy a new ticket. Even to get to Hawaii, new ticket.

AZKC
08-13-2007, 11:58 AM
As of 5am Hawaii time today. Everybody think South:D
"Hurricane Flossie is not willing to give up. Despite hints that the hurricane might move over cooler ocean water temperatures...and that it would eventually encounter hostile vertical wind shear...it continues to maintain its intensity. The latest satellite intensity estimates from jtwc and SAB were 6.0...while hfo reported 5.5. The ADT at 1200 UTC is 6.2...which suggests a maximum sustained wind speed of 120 kt.
The latest track forecast is close to the previous advisory package. However...the forecast has been accelerated through 36 hours. The forecast intensity has also been increased based on the GFDL intensity guidance and persistence. Based on the current track forecast...intensity and radii...this will result in winds of tropical storm force reaching The Big Island by early afternoon Tuesday. Therefore a Hurricane Watch is now in effect for The Big
Island of Hawaii. Warnings may be required for The Big Island later today. This may take the form of a Tropical Storm Warning if the present track forecast appears to be verifying. At the moment...the islands from Maui County to Kauai County are not expected to require any types of watches. However...any significant deviation of the track toward the north might result in watches...or warnings...for additional areas in the Hawaiian islands.
:)

2Driver
08-13-2007, 12:22 PM
:D As of 5am Hawaii time today. Everybody think South:D
"Hurricane Flossie is not willing to give up. Despite hints that the hurricane might move over cooler ocean water temperatures...and that it would eventually encounter hostile vertical wind shear...it continues to maintain its intensity. The latest satellite intensity estimates from jtwc and SAB were 6.0...while hfo reported 5.5. The ADT at 1200 UTC is 6.2...which suggests a maximum sustained wind speed of 120 kt.
The latest track forecast is close to the previous advisory package. However...the forecast has been accelerated through 36 hours. The forecast intensity has also been increased based on the GFDL intensity guidance and persistence. Based on the current track forecast...intensity and radii...this will result in winds of tropical storm force reaching The Big Island by early afternoon Tuesday. Therefore a Hurricane Watch is now in effect for The Big
Island of Hawaii. Warnings may be required for The Big Island later today. This may take the form of a Tropical Storm Warning if the present track forecast appears to be verifying. At the moment...the islands from Maui County to Kauai County are not expected to require any types of watches. However...any significant deviation of the track toward the north might result in watches...or warnings...for additional areas in the Hawaiian islands.
:)
I'd say your focked. J/K :D
Curious, when are you supposed to leave?

AZKC
08-13-2007, 12:35 PM
We leave LAX about 9:30am on Thursday the 16th arrive OGG at Noon Hawaii time. I'm thinking we will be getting there on the coattails of a Tropical Storm. As long as this bitch don't make a right turn I think we are good. We are going as long as United will fly us, Maybe we'll get a chance to go to Disneyland for a day:D

Ziggy
08-13-2007, 01:33 PM
You should be fine. It seems they believe it will weaken some and stay south of the big island.
HAve a fun time....but take a couple parachutes just in case :D:D

2Driver
08-13-2007, 01:43 PM
This goes with us where ever water could become or is an issue. Aways goes to India, China, with my wife and anywhere there could be a run on drinking water ie after a hurrince. Also nice to carry on hikes. Dont drink the stream water if you hike the water falls in HI but this should keep you safe to drink out of the stream..
http://www.rei.com/product/708981

AZKC
08-13-2007, 03:17 PM
You should be fine. It seems they believe it will weaken some and stay south of the big island.
HAve a fun time....but take a couple parachutes just in case :D:D
She's weaken a bit:) but I want her to pick up speed by about 24 hours or so;)

mikefd024
08-13-2007, 04:06 PM
I am in Maui now, and you will be fine, the storm is going south, and will only get the southside of the big island, and that will only be the outer edge of the storm. They are also saying it is going to be downgraded to a tropical storm. Anyways just some srinkles predicted, they have been happening on and off for the last week and half anyways. But expect some serious tradewinds been blowing 25-30 daily, especially in the afternoon. I leave tommorrow night, back to the OC, Havasu in a week, what a contrast Maui to Havasu for vacations love em both....

AZKC
08-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the update Mike:) Latest maps look pretty good should be well past the Islands come Thursday:D

mobldj
08-13-2007, 07:35 PM
september 1st we are going on a 7 day cruise to all the islands,wifes freakin out but i think it would be cool on a big azz cruise ship in the rollers.to quote a movie.."its a hell of a day at sea sir".

AZKC
08-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Lookin good as of now:D Time to start the countdown:)

Coach
08-13-2007, 09:39 PM
I just got back in from HI tonight (Oahu South side). We had unusual amounts of rain the last few days from the Hurricane. The big island looks like they will get the brunt of it vs Oahu and Maui. If it moves north then all the islands may be in trouble. My family lives out their an my Mom is not coming home until Wed. I just know my cousin and his friends were stoked because the swells were coming in tomorrow and they have not had any good swells in a month.

AZKC
08-14-2007, 05:54 AM
Well they could use the rain. And good surf is a bonus:D
Well we are within our 48 hour window and looks like she's fallin apart and moving along quick enough where we will be about 12-18 hours behind her going by Maui. :D

mobldj
08-14-2007, 08:37 AM
mahalo !

AZKC
08-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Slowing down abit now, need to send her a RedBull:devil:

lewiville
08-14-2007, 11:30 AM
well guys Im here right now in Kauai, Poipu beach. Just starting my honeymoon with my beautiful bride. THings are good. National weather service says we should be seeing 6-8' surf. Not bad if I was a surfer. Later tomorrow it will turn into over 15 feet. It is a little windy bu the view from my condo is awesome ( will post pics later ).
Dano
Aloha

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
08-14-2007, 11:47 AM
well guys Im here right now in Kauai, Poipu beach. Just starting my honeymoon with my beautiful bride. THings are good. National weather service says we should be seeing 6-8' surf. Not bad if I was a surfer. Later tomorrow it will turn into over 15 feet. It is a little windy bu the view from my condo is awesome ( will post pics later ).
Dano
Aloha
Lewiville- Please keep me posted on the status there. I leave for Lihue on the 23rd!!!!!!
Congrats on the honeymoon!

Ziggy
08-14-2007, 12:26 PM
I am in Maui now, and you will be fine, the storm is going south, and will only get the southside of the big island, and that will only be the outer edge of the storm. They are also saying it is going to be downgraded to a tropical storm. Anyways just some srinkles predicted, they have been happening on and off for the last week and half anyways. But expect some serious tradewinds been blowing 25-30 daily, especially in the afternoon. I leave tommorrow night, back to the OC, Havasu in a week, what a contrast Maui to Havasu for vacations love em both....
As if Hilo needs any more rain than they get normally:eek: :(

Keith E. Sayre
08-14-2007, 01:09 PM
I will have to agree with Magic 34 about them being semi clueless. Just so
happens that I was in Maui the week after Hurricane Iniki. They were cleaning up and the place was still packed with people. Still a bit windy
but the kicker was about 10 nice (50+ foot yachts) sitting on the beach,they'd been torn loose from their moorings and had washed up on
shore. All but one got removed the first day that we were there. I walked
down the beach and it was a gorgeous wood sail boat that was 50 to 60
feet long and at that time was sitting leaning over and was maybe 8 to 9 feet tall on the sand. That was the beginning of the end. For some reason
it was left there and during the week that I was there, it slowly settled into
the sand until I could walk up and rest my foot on the top of it. The last
day that we were there, they brought out the big tug boat and the huge
jungle rope about 20 inches in diameter and about 1/2 mile long and they
started diggin it out, it was completely full of sand so it required pumps,
about 20 tourists including myself pitched in and we dug and dug and they
finally got the rope around it's mid section and started pulling it, they
broke it right in half and came back an hour later with about 10 chain saws.
What a waste! It was a gorgeous boat. They didn't care. Oh well!
Keith Sayre

AZKC
08-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Hang on to your hats:eek:
Here she comes:sqeyes:
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37070&stc=1&d=1187133003

lewiville
08-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Lewiville- Please keep me posted on the status there. I leave for Lihue on the 23rd!!!!!!
Congrats on the honeymoon!
Flossy is all gone. now we can enjoy the rest of the week.
Aloha

2Driver
08-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Flossy is all gone. now we can enjoy the rest of the week
Aloha
Except now for the Tsunami warning just issued due to the 7.5 on the west coast of South America. no $hit.
Geez AZKC are you some sort of black cloud. Earthquake on Big Island then a Hurricane now a tidal wave warning. I guess we are in for some Chit when you plan on coming home :D :D :D

MrsGHT
08-15-2007, 05:14 PM
What's up with the name Flossie? It reminds me of that song GLAMOROUS.:D

MBlaster
08-15-2007, 06:23 PM
We'll be there on the 20th of sept. Renting a house on the beach in Hanalei Bay.:)