PDA

View Full Version : Are you CPR certifed, what kind of First Aid do you carry on your boat?

socalmoney
08-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Given that many threads on this board lately are about accidents, injuries, close calls, and death, how many of you are prepared if it happens in front of you. What kind of first aid kits are you carrying on board and do you think it is adequate? Do you know CPR and do you have any kind of CPR mask on board in case you are called to duty. I worked as an EMT for a few years while in collage and I never had a save. I also never relieved an average Joe citizen from the initial CPR that was started before we arrived on scene. There was always lots of people standing around to tell us who needed help though. We won't all be able to rely on off duty Cops and Firemen if the need arises.

HocusPocus
08-13-2007, 12:43 PM
my wife is a certified lifeguard and we just have a very basic first aid kit on the boat. i have had CPR classes that were put on by our local fire dept but that was 4 years ago.
2 of my nieces are also certified lifeguards and work up in wrightwood.. normally one or both go with us on our river trips.

Hustler
08-13-2007, 12:44 PM
We carry a pretty good first aid kit and being a cetified rescue diver I do know CPR I just hope I never have to use any of that training.

Make it a Double
08-13-2007, 12:45 PM
This is what I carry.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Zee.jpg

XFactor
08-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Yes and none. Just recieved CPR certification for infant through adult but carry no first aid equipment on board. Maybe a cheap first aid kit would be a good idea. :idea:

Jyruiz
08-13-2007, 12:49 PM
We carry two kits, (different ones) on our boat, my wife has to get certified every so often cause she is a teacher and I use to be certified, but still know CPR.

2Driver
08-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Yes I am certified in first aid and CPR but its been a while.
I put together my own kit and put it in a extra large fanny pack. It carries the usual cut, bumps, butterfly bandages, antiseptic and pain stuff plus what I call a big wound kit:
Extra gauze, pads, tape and a big aerosol can of medically sterile water for cleaning out big wounds or severs. We also have some medicine called bleed stop that is supposed to stop excessive bleeding. So far used it for one medium cut and one deep butterfly bandage slice. It goes where we go.
Also have some benedryl in there too for any allergic reactions ie bees, scorpion etc....

RitcheyRch
08-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Am out of certification. We have a pretty good first aid kit on the boat.

gqchris
08-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Its crazy you just posted this, because I dont know if anyone was at the Avi this weekend, but I was the guy tending to the injured person that got hit by a seadoo boat on his jetski. :jawdrop:
I am a certified EMT, but quit that career years ago. Well, it came in real handy over the weekend. I was just on the beach talking with this guy and his friends, real cool dude. Even took them for a ride in my boat. End of day was coming, and everyone decided to head back to load up boats. He got on his early model two seater jet ski and rounded the corner of the lagoon. I idled out and when i got to the ramp, I see him face up with his jetski half sunk floating down river!!!!!! Another guy had jumped in for him, and was floating with him trying to hold c-spine. I raced back to try to fetch the scoop off the fireboat at the Avi dock, and it was locked according to the beach crew. Flew back in my boat, got down river, loaded him up, and rushed to dock. He was still way out of it. Got to the ramp and got him layed down, lacerations everywhere, nothing super major. He was way altered, starting getting combative. Definate head injury. Blood from ears. We got him down and I held C-spine for a good 10 mins till FD showed up. Helped package him up and off he went.
Got a note on my car in the morning from the friends, thanking me and letting me know he was fine and stayed overnight with concusiion and lots of stiches. He doesnt remember anything about accident. Still dont know what happened, but it was crazy. Noone knows who was at fault. All I know is that how crazy it was this weekend, I wont be going back to Avi. Way too many amatuers and rentals, as I should have known.
The real hero of the whole thing was my girl holding my boat off the rocks on the ramp while I tended to the hurt guy. Noone even offered to help her, they were more upset that the ramp was blocked!:mad:

adjones419
08-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Maybe a cheap first aid kit would be a good idea. :idea:
Why would you go cheap on something that could possibly save your life or prevent an infection, etc? Go with the good stuff on this one.

socalmoney
08-13-2007, 01:03 PM
We got him down and I held C-spine for a good 10 mins till FD showed up. Helped package him up and off he went.
I have wondered if it would be overkill if I had a half board, duct tape and a no-neck on my boat for C-spine. I figure any collision on the water would warrant it.

Throttle
08-13-2007, 01:05 PM
plenty of times I have stopped to help a boater or someone on the highway... I generally do try and carry an assortment of supplies to help me treat someone who is injured.
clue for those of you that do not have cpr training... bystander cpr increases the chances to save a life...:idea:

atomickitn
08-13-2007, 01:11 PM
well ...not only do I have a full trama bag....but I also carry with me my own personel EMT......:D ...but now that she is on active duty in kuwait, I think I may need to be a lil more carefull............:D ..... I do know CPR.....I can kiss like nobody else...:)

Phat Matt
08-13-2007, 01:14 PM
1. CALL
Check the victim for unresponsiveness. If there is no response, Call 911 and return to the victim. In most locations the emergency dispatcher can assist you with CPR instructions.
http://depts.washington.edu/learncpr/images/quick1.gif
2. BLOW
Tilt the head back and listen for breathing. If not breathing normally, pinch nose and cover the mouth with yours and blow until you see the chest rise. Give 2 breaths. Each breath should take 1 second.
http://depts.washington.edu/learncpr/images/blowani.gif
3. PUMP
If the victim is still not breathing normally, coughing or moving, begin chest compressions. Push down on the chest 11/2 to 2 inches 30 times right between the nipples. Pump at the rate of 100/minute, faster than once per second.
http://depts.washington.edu/learncpr/images/handposition.gif
http://depts.washington.edu/learncpr/images/pumpani.gif
CONTINUE WITH 2 BREATHS AND 30 PUMPS UNTIL HELP ARRIVES
NOTE: This ratio is the same for one-person & two-person CPR. In two-person CPR the person pumping the chest stops while the other gives mouth-to-mouth breathing.

Throttle
08-13-2007, 01:15 PM
well ...not only do I have a full trama bag....but I also carry with me my own personel EMT......:D ...but now that she is on active duty in kuwait, I think I may need to be a lil more carefull............:D ..... I do know CPR.....I can kiss like nobody else...:)
I will take your word for it...

atomickitn
08-13-2007, 01:22 PM
I will take your word for it...
ok ! Im not sure I would like to practice on you ..........but if you insist....:)

DeathFlightMedic
08-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Given that many threads on this board lately are about accidents, injuries, close calls, and death, how many of you are prepared if it happens in front of you. What kind of first aid kits are you carrying on board and do you think it is adequate? Do you know CPR and do you have any kind of CPR mask on board in case you are called to duty. I worked as an EMT for a few years while in collage and I never had a save. I also never relieved an average Joe citizen from the initial CPR that was started before we arrived on scene. There was always lots of people standing around to tell us who needed help though. We won't all be able to rely on off duty Cops and Firemen if the need arises.
I think you have hit upon a good point here. More often than not it is bystanders who bring the injured to us on the shore.
If anyone wants a CPR / First Aid class or a refresher I will teach it for free!!!!!!!!!!!! All I need is $3 AHA Card Fee.
Just let me know. I can put a class on whenever and whereever.
The more people we can get CPR cretified the better.
Also if you need recomendations on what to carry in a first aid kit I will send it over.
ONCE AGAIN, IF YOU WANT TO GET CPR CERTIFIED AND WILL BE IN THE LAKE HAVASU / RIVER AREA LET ME KNOW AND WE CAN GET A CLASS TOGETHER.

DeathFlightMedic
08-13-2007, 01:24 PM
I think you have hit upon a good point here. More often than not it is bystanders who bring the injured to us on the shore.
If anyone wants a CPR / First Aid class or a refresher I will teach it for free!!!!!!!!!!!! All I need is $3 AHA Card Fee.
Just let me know. I can put a class on whenever and whereever.
The more people we can get CPR cretified the better.
Also if you need recomendations on what to carry in a first aid kit I will send it over.
ONCE AGAIN, IF YOU WANT TO GET CPR CERTIFIED AND WILL BE IN THE LAKE HAVASU / RIVER AREA LET ME KNOW AND WE CAN GET A CLASS TOGETHER.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-13-2007, 01:28 PM
We have a first aid kit that I think we got at Costco, nothing too special. Had it since 2000, does that stuff go bad?
I remember haivng to make my own first aid kit for the Health and Safety class in HS many moons ago...Perhaps we need a new, better kit for the boat and should get some CPR training...:idea:

socalmoney
08-13-2007, 01:30 PM
For those of you who "used" to be certified, here is a link to the changes made by the American Heart Assoc. They are significant. You should look at these and consider a refresher. Sounds like DeathFlightMedic is willing to teach.
http://www.americanheart.org/downloadable/heart/1132621842912Winter2005.pdf

Mr. Crusader 83
08-13-2007, 01:34 PM
I always have plenty of beer. Will that work?

LAFD
08-13-2007, 01:38 PM
im emt certified and have a kit that has just about everything. splints, c spine, gauze, all assorted sized wraps,cooling packs, heating pacs, masks. pretty much hits alittle of everything. have had to do cpr a couple times very exhausting and nerve racking.

Throttle
08-13-2007, 01:40 PM
I always have plenty of beer. Will that work?
only if you are the one that needs help...

HokeySon
08-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Yes I am certified in first aid and CPR but its been a while.
I put together my own kit and put it in a extra large fanny pack. It carries the usual cut, bumps, butterfly bandages, antiseptic and pain stuff plus what I call a big wound kit:
Extra gauze, pads, tape and a big aerosol can of medically sterile water for cleaning out big wounds or severs. We also have some medicine called bleed stop that is supposed to stop excessive bleeding. So far used it for one medium cut and one deep butterfly bandage slice. It goes where we go.
Also have some benedryl in there too for any allergic reactions ie bees, scorpion etc....
Used to have a maxipad in my kit -- it is designed for this you know!!!
Only time I ever pulled it out to use it, my friend wouldn't let me put it on his head. said he would rather bleed to death. Go figure.

eliminatedsprinter
08-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Just renewed my card last week. Carry a basic kit in the RV and some basic supplies in the "boat bag".

socalmoney
08-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Used to have a maxipad in my kit -- it is designed for this you know!!!
Only time I ever pulled it out to use it, my friend wouldn't let me put it on his head. said he would rather bleed to death. Go figure.
Those sticky wings might come in handy when wrapping a wound. I bet they are a lot less expensive. Only problem is if they don't soak through, you couldn't put another one on top of it. I will have to take a closer look.

DeathFlightMedic
08-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Basic First Aid Kit
CPR Pocket Mask
Stack of Gauze Pads ( 4X4's)
Roll of Medical or Duct Tape
Various Size Band-Aids
1 Ace Bandage
Pair of large Scicors
1 Large Zip-Loc bag for parts that became detached.
Just what you need to stop the bleeding and get to shore, Anything else is usaly overkill.

DeathFlightMedic
08-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Just remember to check what First-Aid stuff you carry often.
Nothing worse than needing somthing and have it no tbe there.

rrrr
08-13-2007, 02:01 PM
We carry one of these. Got it at West Marine.
http://images.westmarine.com/full/6818488.jpg
The Marine Series 1000 is designed to provide the medical supplies you need for coastal cruising when professional medical care can be reached within a 12 hour time period. Contains six modules including CPR instruments, fracture/sprain, medications, burns, bleeding and wound care. The floating foam padded case protects items and its abrasion-resistant, textured rubber bottom keeps case from sliding on wet surfaces. It is made of 420 denier nylon with durable, water-resistant coating and a water-resistant zipper to seal out moisture. Its reflective webbing makes kit easy to spot quickly in the dark.
Intended Use Supplies for a week to 10 days for up to 10 people
Number of Pieces: 330
Case Size/Material: 15" x 10" x 5.5"/420 denier nylon with durable, water-resistant coating
Contents Organization Method: Modular waterproof re-sealable bags
I also carry containers of sterile irrigating solution, betadine, suture packs, and lots of 4" X 4" sterile pads and sterile wraps for something big.
Two years ago I was first responder to a night boat collision, 36' Baja vs. 21' bowrider. The bowrider driver had a broken femur and ribs, the passenger had the same plus an open fracture arm and multiple scalp lacerations to the bone. He went through the windshield.
A friend towed the boat to shore while I worked on the passenger's injuries and stabilized his c-spine. It took EMS about 15 minutes to get there. Not really critical in this particular case, but 15 minutes can mean the difference between life and death if someone doesn't know what to do.
If you hang at the lake or the dunes the chances are someone will need immediate care. Learn what to do, you could save a life.
What other safety gear is in your boat? We carry a throw rope bag, much better than a Type IV cushion. If you miss the first toss, you can haul it in and do it again.
http://images.westmarine.com/full/008_242_003_503.jpg
I spent less than $500 on this stuff......well worth it IMO.
I also carry a smaller kit in my truck.

DeathFlightMedic
08-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Just remember the best thing you can have on your boat is a SOBER DRIVER

gqchris
08-13-2007, 02:43 PM
I have wondered if it would be overkill if I had a half board, duct tape and a no-neck on my boat for C-spine. I figure any collision on the water would warrant it.
I dont think it would be overkill at all Socal. I wish I had gloves and a collar would have helped alot when he started trying to thrash around. Next time I will have a small kit ready on my boat.
As LAFD said, if I had to do CPR for that long, I would have been spent. It was so hot out there, I was so whipped after it was all said and done. Definately a good idea to be prepared. Its amazing though how many people freeze up when the shat hits the fan. People were freaking out all over. And it was not even a super critical injury. Just alot of lacerations and MINOR bleeding. If anyone is ever on the scene and wants to help out in any way they can, crowd control is a blessing. I had all kinds of people hovering over me and women being hystercial. Keeping them back and giving the patient and care givers air helps a ton.

talkinghead
08-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Depending on who I am with and where I am (remote areas) - I also carry and AED with me.
I picked one up refurbed for <$500.

DeathFlightMedic
08-13-2007, 03:00 PM
An AED is a great thing to have if you can aford it, and they are getting cheeper every day.
A backboard and C-coller are good to have too, but only if you are trained to use it and are prepared to handel the liability later. Just keep in mind the good smaritan law only covers what a lay person would be able to do in that situation, once you get into backboards and other advanced ( although basic ) procedures you are opening yourself up for legal troubble.
Please don't take what I'm saying the wrong way, if you want to help great, just keep it in mind.

socalmoney
08-13-2007, 03:14 PM
An AED is a great thing to have if you can aford it, and they are getting cheeper every day.
A backboard and C-coller are good to have too, but only if you are trained to use it and are prepared to handel the liability later. Just keep in mind the good smaritan law only covers what a lay person would be able to do in that situation, once you get into backboards and other advanced ( although basic ) procedures you are opening yourself up for legal troubble.
Please don't take what I'm saying the wrong way, if you want to help great, just keep it in mind.
Good point.

oilfieldtrash
08-13-2007, 03:20 PM
the company i work for provides use with CPR class on an annual basis they are mandatory. and the first aid kit is like one that an EMT would care also from work we get one a year for our field trucks so i always keep the one that i am replacing.

gqchris
08-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Depending on who I am with and where I am (remote areas) - I also carry and AED with me.
I picked one up refurbed for <$500.
Thats awesome. Soon I hope to see those like fire extinguishers placed everywhere!

Mardonzi
08-13-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm certified National Registry EMT and formerly Utah EMT,, never changed over to AZ,, Might have to do that one of these days,,
Anyways,, I carry a full Thomas pack on the boat to include airways, 2 sizes of collars, a couple of stick kits and 2 bags. The nice thing about Lake Powell is the response time here if you need it. Between the time you put the call out till they are spooling a helo,, it's about 5 minutes..
For the average person, a good first responder kit will do well and you can always augment it with other stuff you have in the boat. T shirts and towels make great bandages. Knee boards do well as short boards as well as wake boards.

phebus
08-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Retired firefighter/paramedic. I carry a trauma bag that is stocked to the max.

Trailer Park Casanova
08-13-2007, 05:55 PM
We carry sterile bandages, stethoscope, pillows, asthma meds.
Wife's first aid kit is very well equipped and is she ever qualified to use it.
I have all the CPR and first aid credentials the LAFD offers. And Lifesaving too.
From bloody collisions on Rice rd, to boating accidents to propeller gashes, to stepped on a broken bottle,,, it's nice to have items along to get the person dialed in and somewhat comfortable until help arrives or we can get them to help.
We've seen our fair share.
ABC:
Airway
Bleeding
Circulation is all you can really do on location.
-Unless ya wanna invest in a shocker/paddle unit.
Some are one time use,, but still pricey and perhaps a bit much for the first aid kit.

LUVNLIFE
08-13-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm cpr certified along with first aid. We carry a store bought but pretty well stocked first aid kit. Also not only do we carry cell phones but a hand held vhf radio as well. Every little bit helps in an emergency;)

Flyinbowtie
08-13-2007, 06:59 PM
A good first aid kit in the camper and the boat. Was EMT 1 for a few years. My CPR cert is expired and I want to try to renew it, but I honestly do not know if my back would hold up working on a full size adult, doing one rescuer CPR.
While working, I was 1 for 3 on CPR.
I also carry a handheld low-buck basic GPS in the boat and the camper. When on a lake, river or otherwise out in the hinterland, it is a helluva lot easier to guide in a rescue aircraft with coordinates than it is by trying to use landmarks or best-guess distances. If somebody really needs to be medivac'd, time is critical & gettin' the bird in quick can make a difference.

Kilrtoy
08-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Just remember the best thing you can have on your boat is a SOBER DRIVER
Not quite sure that is the best thing, but it always helps

Boatcop
08-13-2007, 07:08 PM
I was a Coast Guard Certified EMT from 1978-2002. Didn't keep it up after I retired, but still carry a Trauma Bag everywhere I go.
At work and at play.

YeLLowBoaT
08-13-2007, 07:08 PM
My certs a few years old, I always carry a 1st aid kit in the truck and boat.
My 1st aid kit for the truck also includes ace bandages, arm/ leg splint, duck tape( which is my band aid of choice) super glue and stuff to handle minor amputations ( fingers and the like) You just never know whats going to happen on the job site, I've seen some bad stuff happen.( most of which were thier fualt, removing safety devices/gaurds)

Kim Hanson
08-13-2007, 07:09 PM
I get retraining every 3 years on CPR...part of work and yes there is a bandade in my boats :D :D Just in case I slip with a beercan :D :D .......( . )( . )........

YeLLowBoaT
08-13-2007, 07:17 PM
i've ordered some kits thru these guys (http://www.first-aid-product.com/) They have both OSHA and ANSI compilance kits for you biz owners.

DeathFlightMedic
08-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Once again for all those who want to learn or re-cert their CPR or First Aid here is the link
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3011764
I also am a certified instructor and will teach anyone who whishes to learn for FREE
Just let me know and we can get a class together, anywhere on the river from Parker to Laughlin
Age 6 to 60 you are never too young or old to help save a life!!!!!!!

Boatcop
08-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Once again for all those who want to learn or re-cert their CPR or First Aid here is the link
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3011764
I also am a certified instructor and will teach anyone who whishes to learn for FREE
Just let me know and we can get a class together, anywhere on the river from Parker to Laughlin
Age 6 to 60 you are never too young or old to help save a life!!!!!!!
I'll provide the classroom in Parker. Just let me know when.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-13-2007, 07:44 PM
I have my CPR cert due to my profession, but we only have a very basic first aid kit (with maxi pad :D ). I have a CPR mask in my car and classroom, but not in the boat. I s'pose I'll have to pick up a couple more (one for the truck also). Good thread. You never know when you'll need to use your first aid kit. It should be ready. Mine is not.

Throttle
08-13-2007, 07:47 PM
this may be true... but do you have any cigars?

Throttle
08-13-2007, 07:52 PM
My certs a few years old, I always carry a 1st aid kit in the truck and boat.
My 1st aid kit for the truck also includes ace bandages, arm/ leg splint, duck tape( which is my band aid of choice) super glue and stuff to handle minor amputations ( fingers and the like) You just never know whats going to happen on the job site, I've seen some bad stuff happen.( most of which were thier fualt, removing safety devices/gaurds)
that right there scares me, I hope anyone that needs your 1st aid kit really calls for professional help.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-13-2007, 07:55 PM
that right there scares me, I hope anyone that needs your 1st aid kit really calls for professional help.
Maybe you were being sarcastic, it's hard to tell online, but from what I understand, SuperGlue was developed by the military for wound closures. I think that's a good thing to have.
edit: I looked it up and found similar info on several sites
According to Wiki (not a super reliable source, but based on many sources, I'll accept it)
The use of cyanoacrylate glues in medicine was considered fairly early on. Eastman Kodak and Ethicon began studying whether the glues could be used to hold human tissue together after surgery. In 1964, Eastman submitted an application to use cyanoacrylate glues to seal wounds to the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Soon afterward Dr. Harry Coover's glue did find use in Vietnam—reportedly in 1966, cyanoacrylates were tested on-site by a specially trained surgical team, with impressive results. In an interview with Dr. Coover by the Kingsport Times-News, Coover said that the compound demonstrated an excellent capacity to stop bleeding, and during the Vietnam War, he developed disposable cyanoacrylate sprays for use in the battlefield.
“ If somebody had a chest wound or open wound that was bleeding, the biggest problem they had was stopping the bleeding so they could get the patient back to the hospital. And the consequence was—many of them bled to death. So the medics used the spray, stopped the bleeding, and were able to get the wounded back to the base hospital. And many, many lives were saved. ”
—Dr. Harry Coover
The original Eastman formula was not FDA approved for medical use, however, because of a tendency to cause skin irritation and to generate heat. In 1998 the FDA approved 2-octyl cyanoacrylate for use in closing wounds and surgical incisions. Closure Medical have developed medical cyanoacrylates such as Dermabond, Soothe-N-Seal and Band-Aid Liquid Adhesive Bandage.

Throttle
08-13-2007, 08:09 PM
it scares me to think he's got it and uses it...

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-13-2007, 08:10 PM
LOL Maybe he just sniffs it :D

Throttle
08-13-2007, 08:12 PM
LOL Maybe he just sniffs it :D
:D

DeathFlightMedic
08-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Superglue is the bomb!!!! blisters, cuts, rear view mirrors. They actully use it in er's but it's called dermabond. It is good to have and it will hold a maxipad like nothin else!

YeLLowBoaT
08-13-2007, 08:22 PM
They use "super glue" ( cyanoacrylates) to close every thing from small cuts( think butterfly bandage) to large incisions from major and minor surgeries.
I use it mainly for closing up things like razor blade/ sheet metal cuts, stings like a bitch, but you don't have to worry about using butterfly bandages or it getting packed with crap from a days work.
I'm shocked you have not heard of them using it for wounds... Its extremely common theses days. more so for children so they don't have to worry about stitches, its also used alot for closing the skin from surgerys.
Edit,
My 1st EXP with super glue was back in my Coastie days. You can be back to work in a 10 mins from a deep cut, where stitches your going to be out for atleast a hour.

blackcloud75
08-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Yeah you do......the silver band-aid has revived me a few times.......:)

Dan Lorenze
08-14-2007, 02:35 AM
Am out of certification. We have a pretty good first aid kit on the boat.
Ditto.

TCN
08-14-2007, 06:58 AM
ABC:
Airway
Bleeding
In correct order:
ABC:
Always
Bare the
Chest
We have a pretty good first aid/trauma kit in out boat. Helping others is awesome but don't forget to protect yourself first. Universal precautions is often over looked in the public arena and all it takes is 1 exposure and your life can be altered FOREVER. CPR masks are a great tool but if there is responsible family with any victim, coach them to do the ventilations and you do the compressions. Always wear gloves and eye protection to protect yourself.
I have been doing this job for over a decade and wear the best PPE when I do it. What I have seen and encountered at work makes me afraid of what could happen without personal protective equipment. Be safe while helping others. Nick

blackcloud75
08-14-2007, 08:00 AM
ABC:
Airway
Bleeding
In correct order:
ABC:
Always
Bare the
Chest
We have a pretty good first aid/trauma kit in out boat. Helping others is awesome but don't forget to protect yourself first. Universal precautions is often over looked in the public arena and all it takes is 1 exposure and your life can be altered FOREVER. CPR masks are a great tool but if there is responsible family with any victim, coach them to do the ventilations and you do the compressions. Always wear gloves and eye protection to protect yourself.
I have been doing this job for over a decade and wear the best PPE when I do it. What I have seen and encountered at work makes me afraid of what could happen without personal protective equipment. Be safe while helping others. Nick
Remember.....................don't become part of the problem!!!!!!!!!
Priorities:
#1-Your safety
#2-Safety/Security of your Family/Friends/Crew
#3-Victim assistance
Good advice..................Ol'r Brotha from a different motha