PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Problem

HPBoats83
08-13-2007, 02:22 PM
On Saturday in Havasu I hit a bad wake in the boat and ever since then, their has been a loud buzzing noise comming out of all the speakers. I tried to unplug the rca's and it's not as bad but still has something wrong, so with NO RCA's plugged into the deck this buzzing noise is still comming from all speakers. I have checked everything I can think of and now am looking here for some ideas.

thatguy
08-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Where do the RCA lines go? How many amps. ? Do all the speakers share the same amp?
Tommy

Mr. Crusader 83
08-13-2007, 02:27 PM
It sounds like a bad ground.
Are the amps still turning on?
Can you still hear the music over the buzzing sound?

HPBoats83
08-13-2007, 02:39 PM
When the stereo is on with the volume at like 0 through 3 the buzzing is really bad but you can hear some music. When I turn it up past that the music drowns out the buzzing. If I switch songs or turn the volume back down the buzzing comes back. The other thing is when I turn the turn the radio off or switch from I-Pod to CD the speakers like pop. I have 3 seperate amps and they are all on.

HPBoats83
08-13-2007, 02:42 PM
So, all three amps are buzzing even with the RCAs unplugged from the head unit? If so, are you sure?
Yes I'm sure. I had 3 RCA's laying on the ground and the buzzing was still comming through the speakers.

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
08-13-2007, 02:47 PM
That sounds like a ground or power wire came loose on wake, check them all and you will find problem.
BIG JOE SSMF

Mr. Crusader 83
08-13-2007, 02:56 PM
I would have unplugged them from the amps, just in case, but it has to be something that they have in common. The only thing they have in common is the head unit, power and ground. Since you've eliminated the head unit, I'd check ground.
And the remote. But I dont think that would cause buzzing. I will go with my first answer.
What is "Ground Wire" for $1000 Alex.

HPBoats83
08-13-2007, 03:24 PM
I have checked ALL grounds from the amp to the battery as well as the positive connections. Here is the other kicker to this whole thing.....I plugged in another Alpine head unit that I used to run and same thing. When I plugged in the other unit the RCA's were sitting on the floor of the boat.

Havasu Hangin'
08-13-2007, 03:28 PM
I would have unplugged them from the amps, just in case, but it has to be something that they have in common. The only thing they have in common is the head unit, power and ground. Since you've eliminated the head unit, I'd check ground.
How are the amps triggered? Dash switch or remote amp lead from the head unit?

HPBoats83
08-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Remote from the head unit

Havasu Hangin'
08-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Remote from the head unit
If it were me, I'd isolate the three common wires one at a time to see if you can make the noise go away. I'd first run a jump wire from the battery to the amp triggers. If the noise goes away, then you know it is in the head unit- probably a dash ground.
If not, try a jump wire on the amp ground, and finally a power jump wire.
like "Bob" said, there are limited things that can be causing amps to make noise.

Havasu Hangin'
08-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Remote will not cause noise. It's not part of the amp's input or output circuitry, it's simply a toggle that turns the amp on and off. Couldn't happen on one amp, let alone three.
I have had remote turn-on leads from the head unit cause noise before...but since I don't know what I am talking about, it must have been something else.

HOOTER SLED-
08-13-2007, 03:49 PM
I have this same problem too. Didn't have any noise when I first did the install. Just started doing it one day. Only while the engine is running. And only comes from the speakers hooked to the amps. Tried a diff ground, no luck. I was gonna try a noise filter.

Havasu Hangin'
08-13-2007, 03:52 PM
I have this same problem too. Didn't have any noise when I first did the install. Just started doing it one day. Only while the engine is running. And only comes from the speakers hooked to the amps. Tried a diff ground, no luck. I was gonna try a noise filter.
Probably EMF from the ignition. Wrap your engine in aluminum foil, and it will go away.

HOOTER SLED-
08-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Does he need to make a matching hat? :D
I'll just wrap the foil around my weiner like a Ding Dong............since it is a ding dong. :D

HOOTER SLED-
08-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Probably EMF from the ignition. Wrap your engine in aluminum foil, and it will go away.
lol.......It does whine w/ the rev of the engine. Maybe a sledge hammer will work?:D

HOOTER SLED-
08-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Try to play songs that were recorded with engine noise in the music, stuff by The Cars maybe, then it won't be as noticeable.
Fock.....you're on to something...........How about "We gonna rock down to Electric Avenue........and then we'll take it higher" LOL:D Eddy Grant................good ole 80's style.

HPBoats83
08-13-2007, 04:22 PM
I think my boat will be visiting the stereo shop in the morning!

Havasu Hangin'
08-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Does he need to make a matching hat? :D
I hear chicks dig the "imitation baked potato" engine look.
:D

Classic Daycruiser
08-13-2007, 06:24 PM
1)Does it buzz with the engine on??? how about off?? (this will isolate engine trouble)
2)Does it buzz with the stereo/head off??? on??? (Isolate Stereo/head from amps)
3)Do you have dual/multi-batteries setup?
What did the shop find? What ever it was, make sure it can't happen again...those wave are big.

HPBoats83
08-13-2007, 06:27 PM
It does it with the engine off (haven't tried it with the engine on) and yes I have multiple batteries.

HOOTER SLED-
08-13-2007, 06:28 PM
1)Does it buzz with the engine on??? how about off?? (this will isolate engine trouble)
2)Does it buzz with the stereo/head off??? on??? (Isolate Stereo/head from amps)
3)Do you have dual/multi-batteries setup?
What did the shop find? What ever it was, make sure it can't happen again...those wave are big.
For me..............engine on - yes.
buzzes when on w/ engine running
dual batteries
only makes noise through speakers connected to amps.

ddevore
08-13-2007, 06:43 PM
As a few others have said check out your grounds.. This happened to me, after passing a wakeboard boat one of the grounds got pulled a little loose, not enough to really notice the bad connection, but the buzzing was irritating... I just went after each connection one at a time - if I hit the electric hatch button it would make all kinds of interesting noises.

Kim Hanson
08-13-2007, 06:52 PM
On Saturday in Havasu I hit a bad wake in the boat and ever since then, their has been a loud buzzing noise comming out of all the speakers. I tried to unplug the rca's and it's not as bad but still has something wrong, so with NO RCA's plugged into the deck this buzzing noise is still comming from all speakers. I have checked everything I can think of and now am looking here for some ideas.
Look for a loose connection.....period !..........( . )( . ).............:idea:

Thunder Struck
08-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Try to ground the main head unit somewhere else.

Classic Daycruiser
08-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Check the battery terminals for corrosion.
Also try Battery selector switch. Select position one, then both, the position 2. This will isolate a battery problem.
If it only buzzes during engine on, I would suspect a noise suppressor problem...usually a grounding problem.
Remove both terminals from each battery (after turning the battery selector switch to off position), and clean them with sandpaper.
By the way.....Are your batteries marine grade batteries?