PDA

View Full Version : Are you sure it was a fountain

32sunrkt
08-14-2007, 07:36 AM
A thought: There are a few boats with Fountain , but more with scarab which is a "Fountain style boat ".....Are the 110% it was a fountain ???

phebus
08-14-2007, 07:37 AM
On scene witnesses said the boat had "FOUNTAIN" on the side.

Havasu Hangin'
08-14-2007, 07:47 AM
On scene witnesses said the boat had "FOUNTAIN" on the side.
I The Fountain boat that I saw was between 27 - 30 feet long, all white in color except for a very large "Fountain" written on the side of the boat in red and black.
At the risk of sounding like "Captain Obvious"...not sure that "Fountain" on the side is a factory option from Scarab?
:idea:

RiverToysJas
08-14-2007, 08:00 AM
A member sent me this via PM.....
http://www.lakeracerllc.com/PokerRuns/spring2006/lo5l7873.jpg
A good effort, but I doubt that could be mistaken for Fountain by witnesses on both the beach and the boat.
RTJas

shrek
08-14-2007, 08:06 AM
A member sent me this via PM.....
http://www.lakeracerllc.com/PokerRuns/spring2006/lo5l7873.jpg
A good effort, but I doubt that could be mistaken for Fountain by witnesses on both the beach and the boat.
RTJas
If you were looking at that boat from behind, you may very well mistake that symbol on the rear deck for the trademark Fountain symbol.
But Fountain on the side has been the very consistant comment from the witnesses.
Shrek

HavaSkank
08-14-2007, 08:08 AM
I have a 1979 17" Bayliner and I had DCB spray painted on the sides, so people would think Im a baller.

32sunrkt
08-14-2007, 08:09 AM
At 70+ by a person standing on the beach; possibly drinking himself ....?
Was Fountain written on the side of said boat involved in accident for sure, ...beyond a reasonable doubt ?? ...
I say the search should be widend, including any possibility anothe rmake wasnt involved. *Leave no stone unturned for that young boy.

riverbound
08-14-2007, 08:09 AM
I have a 1979 17" Bayliner and I had DCB spray painted on the sides, so people would think Im a baller.
:mad: :mad: you splashed my Gel.....err I mean spray paint.

Water Romper
08-14-2007, 08:12 AM
Further more, you have a cop, paramedic and other “boaters” that all identified the make as a Fountain…I am not a boat expert however I have been boating for 30 years and after awhile, a guy just knows what kind of boat runs by your camp…I have seen this type of boat with the “FOUNTAIN” on the side and you can’t miss it…it’s like the old ELIMINATOR that used to be put on the whole side of their boats…

C-2
08-14-2007, 08:32 AM
I've been eyeballing Fountains for the past three years, looking to buy one. Of the many hundreds of Fountains I have seen in photos - I only recall a few where Fountain is written on the side in large lettering. Seen it on the front in the windshield area, but rarely on the side as described.
The mind plays funny memory tricks on you in intense situations. Memory blackouts for witnesses are not uncommon, even for trained professionals. Blackouts when cops shoot suspects, or blackouts when a spouse hurts another spouse - both common. Witnesses tend to engrain an image in their mind, and don't stray from that image, right or wrong. Maybe it is a Fountain, but perhaps the lettering on the side said something else, or the lettering is not as large as believed.
Even with that being said, my 10 year old neighbor can ID most any boat from amazing distances, and he's usually spot on. He know every hull type, lenght, color scheme etc., so if I have to guess, I think witnesses ID'd more on hull type with the beak.

riverracerx
08-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Plus, saying it was a "Fountain" or a "Cigarette" is like saying all PWCs are "Jet Skis".
I'm just sayin'...........

RiverToysJas
08-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Plus, saying it was a "Fountain" or a "Cigarette" is like saying all PWCs are "Jet Skis".
I'm just sayin'...........
I agree, but saying it "was" one is one thing, saying it "said it on the side in large font" is another. ....I think....
Strange nobody saw this thing around town or on the lake. They were coming from Moabi/Needles. I wonder if they could of made it back up river w/o being noticed.
Just more thoughts....

Run_em_Hard
08-14-2007, 08:54 AM
I don't know who the witness is but if he is into performace boating much he would know the difference between a Fountain and anyother boat. They are very unique in thier design.

Beer-30
08-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Now finding out that there were other boating witnesses, I have a feeling it is pretty certain that it was a Fountain.
I suspected the same thing when this first came out. Lots of people refer to offshore style boats as either Fountains or Cigarettes. When I was looking for a boat and narrowed it down to either a 28' Eliminator or the 30' SleekCraft, I heard all kinds of things. Non-boating personnel would say "oh, you want a cigarette boat". Cigarette and Fountain are probably the two most widely heard/seen boat names on TV.
I have even heard people walk up to mine while I was busy wiping it down and say "wow, honey, look at that big cigarette boat".
Sheesh.

Havasu Hangin'
08-14-2007, 09:00 AM
I have even heard people walk up to mine while I was busy wiping it down and say "wow, honey, look at that big cigarette boat".
Sheesh.
I get people asking me all the time, "Pardon me...do you have a cigarette?"
:notam:

BALLSDEEP
08-14-2007, 09:11 AM
Further more, you have a cop, paramedic and other “boaters” that all identified the make as a Fountain…I am not a boat expert however I have been boating for 30 years and after awhile, a guy just knows what kind of boat runs by your camp…I have seen this type of boat with the “FOUNTAIN” on the side and you can’t miss it…it’s like the old ELIMINATOR that used to be put on the whole side of their boats…
I totally agree with you, after awhile you just know what type of boat it is but it could still be mistaken…
I am only saying this because I was pulled over Friday afternoon when I was heading down Mcculloch to launch my boat. I had just gotten into town Friday afternoon and had no idea this accident occurred. While I was driving down to launch, I was pulled over by the LE and questioned. Fortunately I was let go with no ticket but the cop said he pulled me over because my burgundy 25’ Eliminator Eagle with checkers matched the description of the boat in the accident. You would think a cop especially one in LHC would know the difference between a 25’ Eliminator and a bigger Fountain….
Not to totally change the subject but I heard from some people at Moabi that the guy was already caught at Windsor late Friday night, is that not the case?

Dave C
08-14-2007, 09:21 AM
plus with the spelling skills demonstrated by this website alone... BAYLINER - could be interpreted as "FOUNTAIN"
:devil: :D ;)

Goad
08-14-2007, 09:28 AM
guys....its only a lead :mad:

Big Warlock
08-14-2007, 09:32 AM
I know I am stirring the pot on another thread, but I have to agree. At least the one eyewitness that has come forward has big holes in his story.
There are only a few Fountains that have FOUNTAIN splashed on the side. Then, how could it so easily dissappear? Seems to not make sense. I am thinking it might be another boat? Not too far fetched.
I also think LE should take a hard look at the witnesses again. Just take another hard look. Something isn't right.

Batsfly
08-14-2007, 09:33 AM
I wasn't aware that Fountain had boats that looked like this until I found this one.
Please , can someone who knows how to post photos, post this.
Its at
http://powerboatlistings.com/viw/4070
Thanks

LuckyStrike
08-14-2007, 09:34 AM
So Do I:D :D :D

Batsfly
08-14-2007, 09:34 AM
http://powerboatlistings.com/view/4070

Goad
08-14-2007, 09:36 AM
http://www.powerboatlistings.com/powerimg/m/4070/Full_view.jpg

RiverToysJas
08-14-2007, 10:27 AM
So people don't call them fags anymore? :D

meaniam
08-14-2007, 10:46 AM
you make it sound like alot of witnesses were there. there was not. i believe there was only the cop on shore was said to see it. jeff wasn't paying attention at the moment of impact. the only other one who might be able to id it is a hallet. and i am not sure of that. so without a statement from one of those 2. i would not say this is 100%. and this is why we have leo. they will search all boats similar as stated above by balls deep. looking for damage. the cops will not be blinded here. they are professionals. as time expands so will their search. i am sure the police have already visited managers of storage yards and near by shops. it will get around.
we can only hope the person files a report of boat being stolen or does a false insurance claim. those 2 are probably the easiest to find the party responsible.

DUNDUN
08-14-2007, 11:01 AM
I totally agree with you, after awhile you just know what type of boat it is but it could still be mistaken…
I am only saying this because I was pulled over Friday afternoon when I was heading down Mcculloch to launch my boat. I had just gotten into town Friday afternoon and had no idea this accident occurred. While I was driving down to launch, I was pulled over by the LE and questioned. Fortunately I was let go with no ticket but the cop said he pulled me over because my burgundy 25’ Eliminator Eagle with checkers matched the description of the boat in the accident. You would think a cop especially one in LHC would know the difference between a 25’ Eliminator and a bigger Fountain….
Not to totally change the subject but I heard from some people at Moabi that the guy was already caught at Windsor late Friday night, is that not the case?
I think LE knows that the witnesses could be wrong, and they aren't taking any chances. Thats good to see, I'm glad to hear that they are being so diligent out there. Fountain or not, If the cops continue to stay on top of this, this bastard will be caught.

Havasu Hangin'
08-14-2007, 12:06 PM
So people don't call them fags anymore? :D
Coincidentally, that only happens when you're onboard.

Water Romper
08-14-2007, 12:33 PM
you make it sound like alot of witnesses were there. there was not. i believe there was only the cop on shore was said to see it. jeff wasn't paying attention at the moment of impact. the only other one who might be able to id it is a hallet. and i am not sure of that. so without a statement from one of those 2. i would not say this is 100%. and this is why we have leo. they will search all boats similar as stated above by balls deep. looking for damage. the cops will not be blinded here. they are professionals. as time expands so will their search. i am sure the police have already visited managers of storage yards and near by shops. it will get around.
we can only hope the person files a report of boat being stolen or does a false insurance claim. those 2 are probably the easiest to find the party responsible.
Actually….you are correct with your remark..:idea:
I wasn’t there and I thought (ASSUMED) there were several folks at the scene..
I guess the point of my input was that if a boat says FOUNTAIN on the side, there is a pretty good chance it’s a Fountain.
If there were NO MARKINGS on the boat, I bet the majority of us here would be guessing the make, seems at a glance, new boats in the same size, style and color would look very similar. Unless I actually saw the name of a boat involved in a accident where there were victims, my judgment would be iffy due to the “Oh Crap!!!” factor….

Wild Horses
08-14-2007, 08:47 PM
A thought: There are a few boats with Fountain , but more with scarab which is a "Fountain style boat ".....Are the 110% it was a fountain ???
Let's stay with the witch hunt at hand and leave us poor Scarab drivers alone!!!! :D :D

Big Warlock
08-15-2007, 06:21 AM
The boat may very well have said "Fountain" on the side, BUT judging by some of the responses on these forums WHAT MAKES YOU THINK MOST OF OUR MEMBERS CAN READ?:confused:
Rio
Unfortunately True! :confused:

Big Warlock
08-15-2007, 06:21 AM
Let's stay with the witch hunt at hand and leave us poor Scarab drivers alone!!!! :D :D
Absolutely!!

Jordy
08-15-2007, 06:27 AM
You would think a cop especially one in LHC would know the difference between a 25’ Eliminator and a bigger Fountain….
If you want to get really techincal, a 25' Eliminator and a 30' Fountain are actually about the same length, once you get rid of the beak and swim step. :D :D :D
I still say the drunk guy in the Fountain/Scarab/Eliminator/DCB was cut off by the PWC and then sank his boat and took off to hang out with Ken Lay (of Enron fame) down in the Bahamas. :D :D :D
Jordy <----- loves conspiracy theorists!!! :D :D :D

topless
08-15-2007, 07:05 AM
WHAT MAKES YOU THINK MOST OF OUR MEMBERS CAN READ?:confused:
RioOr spell for that matter.:eek:

hot_diggity_dog
08-15-2007, 07:38 AM
I've been eyeballing Fountains for the past three years, looking to buy one. Of the many hundreds of Fountains I have seen in photos - I only recall a few where Fountain is written on the side in large lettering. Seen it on the front in the windshield area, but rarely on the side as described.
The mind plays funny memory tricks on you in intense situations. Memory blackouts for witnesses are not uncommon, even for trained professionals. Blackouts when cops shoot suspects, or blackouts when a spouse hurts another spouse - both common. Witnesses tend to engrain an image in their mind, and don't stray from that image, right or wrong. Maybe it is a Fountain, but perhaps the lettering on the side said something else, or the lettering is not as large as believed.
Even with that being said, my 10 year old neighbor can ID most any boat from amazing distances, and he's usually spot on. He know every hull type, lenght, color scheme etc., so if I have to guess, I think witnesses ID'd more on hull type with the beak.
C-2 very good points!!!!
I believe it maybe a Fountain but the descriptions of the lettering have changed from Large Fountain written on the side to Fountain inside of the Logo. HHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:rolleyes: :confused:
Originally Posted on 8-13-07 12:23amI am the paramedic/firefighter who pulled the man out of the water on Thursday August 9 at approximatley 3:30.
My family and I were sitting on the west beach about 2 miles south of Topock Marina. I saw a man and his son on two separate old style stand up Jet Skiis heading south toward Havasu Lake. At the same time a man was driving a 27 foot Hallet at approximatly 35 miles per hour down the middle of the river when another boat, the Fountain, came upon him at a very rapid speed (approximatley 70 miles per hour). The Fountain boat that I saw was between 27 - 30 feet long, all white in color except for a very large "Fountain" written on the side of the boat in red and black.
Due to the position that our boat was sitting on on the beach and the fact that we were sitting in beach chairs eatting our lunch, we were unable to see or hear the actual impact approximately 200 yards away.
An off-duty LA County Sherrif's officer who was sharing the same stretch of beach that we were on approximately 200 yards to the south saw and heard the collision. Sorry
Jeff
Originally posted 8-14-07 4;47pmThe top boat is a very close match to what I saw except the boat was all white and the writing on the boat was the same size and color inside of a red oval.
The same boat that was ID by an off duty sgt LA sherrifs oficer and the boy, the man in the Hallett and the two pontoon boats that stopped to help.
We are all positive!!!
The collision was seen and heard by the off duty Sherrif along with tha man in the Hallett and the boy.
I saw the boat twice that day. The first time about 20-30 min prior going up river and the last time going down river.
http://www.powerboatlistings.com/powerimg/m/4070/Full_view.jpg
HDD

RiverToysJas
08-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Coincidentally, that only happens when you're onboard.
I know where the action is!!!
http://www.rivertoys.com/fun/hh_hef.jpg
RTJas :D

RiverDave
08-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Everyone keeps saying how "rare" it is for the name to be on the side of a fountain..
Boat trader online, and the very 1st one that pops up under my search..
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/9/88941339.htm
I imagine the boat looks alot like this, but the fountain name is probably a little bigger and in red/black.
Wish that guy third alarm could confirm or deny this.
RD

Trailer Park Casanova
08-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Everyone keeps saying how "rare" it is for the name to be on the side of a fountain..
Boat trader online, and the very 1st one that pops up under my search..
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/9/88941339.htm
I imagine the boat looks alot like this, but the fountain name is probably a little bigger and in red/black.
Wish that guy third alarm could confirm or deny this.
RD
Originally Posted by Third Alarm
"The top boat is a very close match to what I saw except the boat was all white and the writing on the boat was the same size and color inside of a red oval."
--------------------------
Wadya think RD about the inside the red oval take?

Pussywhippled
08-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Because of all of this Fountain talk I took a look at their website. I'm not a real computer geek and I forgot where I saw it and couldn't navigate back to where I saw it, but...
Does anybody know the model or name of their 35' ?

ULTRA26 # 1
08-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Because of all of this Fountain talk I took a look at their website. I'm not a real computer geek and I forgot where I saw it and couldn't navigate back to where I saw it, but...
Does anybody know the model or name of their 35' ?
I believe it is called an Executioner

Pussywhippled
08-17-2007, 01:29 PM
I believe it is called an Executioner
Hmmm...

Big Warlock
08-17-2007, 01:43 PM
I think it's rare to see FOUNTAIN on the side of a 29 footer or smaller. And the witness was pretty specific that it was in a circle, possibly the Fountain logo? Then it would be a bit rare.