PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running the Mercury Pro ET Lab Finish Prop?

beaverretriever
08-14-2007, 09:53 AM
This looks like the prop I am going with on the new boat. Anything good or bad I should know about? Our new boat should run around 104+ or - with this prop on it.
http://www.mercuryracing.com/products/propellers/proet.php

DCBDaytona
08-14-2007, 12:04 PM
The Pro ET shoulc work well with you setup....What pitch are you going with? I assume you're going with a 32P to get you in the low 100's. Keep in mind that with a 32P it's gonna come out of the hull slow and with people in the boat it's even going to be worse...and the acceleration will be below par for that size boat.
Here's an example from my boat...with 32 Merc labbed cleavers I can run 115ish but it pulls like crap and comes on plane slower. With a set of labbed 28P ETs I still run 105ish but it comes on plane quick and is a rocket from 0-105. IMO, with the smaller rocket tunnels it's much more fun to have the hard acceleration/quick plane time rather than a top end number which cannot be run very often because of snotty water.

dicudmore
08-14-2007, 12:29 PM
This looks like the prop I am going with on the new boat. Anything good or bad I should know about? Our new boat should run around 104+ or - with this prop on it.
http://www.mercuryracing.com/products/propellers/proet.php
just try it and see :D if you no likey--keep throwing props at it till you find a winner :D
How long till this thing arrives anyway?? I wanna go drive it NOW :D :D

beaverretriever
08-14-2007, 12:37 PM
The Pro ET shoulc work well with you setup....What pitch are you going with? I assume you're going with a 32P to get you in the low 100's. Keep in mind that with a 32P it's gonna come out of the hull slow and with people in the boat it's even going to be worse...and the acceleration will be below par for that size boat.
Here's an example from my boat...with 32 Merc labbed cleavers I can run 115ish but it pulls like crap and comes on plane slower. With a set of labbed 28P ETs I still run 105ish but it comes on plane quick and is a rocket from 0-105. IMO, with the smaller rocket tunnels it's much more fun to have the hard acceleration/quick plane time rather than a top end number which cannot be run very often because of snotty water.
I would like to keep the boat over a 100 if possible. What miles per hour would I lose buy dropping the pitch numerically to a 30 or 28?

beaverretriever
08-14-2007, 12:38 PM
just try it and see :D if you no likey--keep throwing props at it till you find a winner :D
How long till this thing arrives anyway?? I wanna go drive it NOW :D :D
Dan, make sure you have Friday morning the 24th free. :D The boat will be here the 22nd or so. We can even head out after work on one of those days.

dicudmore
08-14-2007, 12:48 PM
I would like to keep the boat over a 100 if possible. What miles per hour would I lose buy dropping the pitch numerically to a 30 or 28?
hard to predict...you're gonna have to run it and see where it lands, then experiment with it...theoretically, you'll drop a couple MPH per prop size and gain 3-400 RPM. I think Kevin is right on to say prop it for acceleration :D

DCBDaytona
08-14-2007, 01:03 PM
I understand your concern. With a 28 I'd assume low 90's and a 30 will put you mid to upper 90's. It's a tough decision...but if you do your boating on the weekends in Havasu, you probably won't be doing too many 100+ mph runs.;)
Also, are you getting 1.62 or 1.75 gears?

beaverretriever
08-14-2007, 01:17 PM
I understand your concern. With a 28 I'd assume low 90's and a 30 will put you mid to upper 90's. It's a touch decision...but if you do your boating on the weekends in Havasu, you probably won't be doing too many 100+ mph runs.;)
Also, are you getting 1.62 or 1.75 gears?
Supposably Trick Powerboats has a customer that has ran a shit load of different props on the same set up as mine and this prop is the best. I was originally going with a Bravo, but I sent Jeff some more money to upgrade to this prop. I hope its worth it.
I do boat at Mead a lot with a lot of open water, so I would like to be able to hit that 100mph mark.:)
BTW, 1.62 gears with the 32 pitch, I should be at 6000rpm(in the power range) at 7.5 to 8.25% slip at 104 mph. These #s are per Jeff TPB.

dicudmore
08-14-2007, 01:22 PM
Supposably Trick Powerboats has a customer that has ran a shit load of different props on the same set up as mine and this prop is the best. I was originally going with a Bravo, but I sent Jeff some more money to upgrade to this prop. I hope its worth it.
I do boat at Mead a lot with a lot of open water, so I would like to be able to hit that 100mph mark.:)
100 at Mead might be a pipe dream with a single O/B...the altitude up here doesn't help performance much :( I think it will run it at mohave and havasu though :D

DCBDaytona
08-14-2007, 01:29 PM
BTW, 1.62 gears with the 32 pitch, I should be at 6000rpm(in the power range) at 7.5 to 8.25% slip at 104 mph. These #s are per Jeff TPB.
Those #'s are correct...In theory, you should be in the low 100's with a nominal slip % of 10. It might be best for you to have two props...one for the speed runs and one for the drag runs. Each has it's own perks!
Is Jeff installing some trim tabs or a "whale tale" for you? I'd think with 1.62 gears and 32P prop,it won't exactly be stellar out of the hole. Especially with an aggressive "x" dimension, loaded with fuel, beer and people. Just more food for thought!

beaverretriever
08-14-2007, 01:29 PM
100 at Mead might be a pipe dream with a single O/B...the altitude up here doesn't help performance much :( I think it will run it at mohave and havasu though :D
Lake Mead is right around a 1000 ft. What is Havasu and will a 1000 feet above sea level make that much difference?

beaverretriever
08-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Those #'s are correct...In theory, you should be in the low 100's with a nominal slip % of 10. It might be best for you to have two props...one for the speed runs and one for the drag runs. Each has it's own perks!
Is Jeff installing some trim tabs or a "whale tale" for you? I'd think with 1.62 gears and 32P prop,it won't exactly be stellar out of the hole. Especially with an aggressive "x" dimension, loaded with fuel, beer and people. Just more food for thought!
Yes, two small tunnel tabs.
The guy that is running that prop says that the out of the hole is supprisingly good. I just got off the phone with Jeff and the guy doing all the prop testing didn't complain about the acceleration. :confused: :confused:
I don't want to spend a ton of dough on a prop that won't make me happy. I really want to hit that 100mph mark. There is somthing about the tripple digits that draws me in.:D
Most of the time, its just my wife and I. I won't be hauling ass with people in it anyways.
We do need to get some Lifelines soon...:)

DCBDaytona
08-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Right on...tunnel tabs will work wonders.

beaverretriever
08-14-2007, 01:44 PM
You guys don't think I am making a mistake going with this set up do you?

dicudmore
08-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Lake Mead is right around a 1000 ft. What is Havasu and will a 1000 feet above sea level make that much difference?
havasu is ~400'....and yes on the difference. Every boat I've owned has been slower at Mead vs anywhere else.

dicudmore
08-14-2007, 02:39 PM
no drinking on the water...

dicudmore
08-14-2007, 02:41 PM
You guys don't think I am making a mistake going with this set up do you?
why yes, yes I do--its a motor short :D

DCBDaytona
08-14-2007, 02:53 PM
no drinking on the water...
Duh, Rootbeer..you homo.;)

dicudmore
08-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Duh, Rootbeer..you homo.;)
regardless--I already told him to leave the cooler on shore...its probably worth 2 MPH :D

Cole Trickle
08-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Yes, two small tunnel tabs.
The guy that is running that prop says that the out of the hole is supprisingly good. I just got off the phone with Jeff and the guy doing all the prop testing didn't complain about the acceleration. :confused: :confused:
I don't want to spend a ton of dough on a prop that won't make me happy. I really want to hit that 100mph mark. There is somthing about the tripple digits that draws me in.:D
Most of the time, its just my wife and I. I won't be hauling ass with people in it anyways.
We do need to get some Lifelines soon...:)
smart choice:)
Please become comfortable with the boat before pushing the limits.:) :)

dicudmore
08-14-2007, 09:58 PM
smart choice:)
Please become comfortable with the boat before pushing the limits.:) :)
I think his plan is to send me out as the crash test dummy first...if I survive the initial ride then he'll put his lovely wife on the boat :D

Cole Trickle
08-16-2007, 10:06 AM
I think his plan is to send me out as the crash test dummy first...if I survive the initial ride then he'll put his lovely wife on the boat :D
Cool deal.....seems like a bitchen little boat but a huge jump speed/handling wise from a small block powered 23V.
Show him the ropes and all the do's and do not's:) :)

TPB
08-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Guys,
I'm 2000+ miles away.... explain/show him the difference between driving a boat and flying a boat.
John,
It's not a race..... yet....
Jeff

TUNNEL T
08-18-2007, 09:13 PM
if i'm correct you ordered a trick with a single 300xs right ! so your gonna want the rush ,prop it for accelleration .a 28 will pull hard probably all the way to the rev,but with peeps should be great ,the 30 by yourself at 10% you should be at 102 mph . for better #'s go to hill propellers and hit prop calculator . be prepared to spend a afternoon plugging #'s into computer ! have good luck and post your best #'s for all TUNNEL T