PDA

View Full Version : carb clean up

NautiII
02-21-2006, 04:39 PM
I am rebuilding one of my carbs, and want to clean it up real good. what is the best way to do this? I know they make a solution you can put all the peices in, but I cant find it any where. or, does anyone from the Phoenix area know of someone who does this.

Duane HTP
02-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Check for an auto supply store that handles Berryman products. They should have it.

sleekcrafter
02-21-2006, 05:54 PM
There used to be a five gallon can of carb cleaner available, with a strainer basket in it. The stuff was called Hydro Seal, it was for cleaning carbs and other automotive components. It would disolve anything, that was not metal in the carbs. I don't know if it's available anymore. Sleek
Found it, it's changed brand names http://www.gunk.com/prodinfo/CC3K.PDF
http://www.gunk.com/product_images/LG_CC3K.JPG

sanger rat
02-21-2006, 05:55 PM
The AutoZone here has it.

GUGS102
02-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Either in PHX will have it in gallon sizes. I also recomend a metal pan to pour the cleaner into as the main body won't fit in the gallon pail. Don't know which side of the valley you are on but if you need help, shoot me a PM. I'm in the northwest valley. Not complicated if you know what you are doing.
Gugs

NautiII
02-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Either in PHX will have it in gallon sizes. I also recomend a metal pan to pour the cleaner into as the main body won't fit in the gallon pail. Don't know which side of the valley you are on but if you need help, shoot me a PM. I'm in the northwest valley. Not complicated if you know what you are doing.
Gugs
I have called some east valley auto zones, and checkers, and nobody has it. a few said they never even heard of it before. so, if you find a store that does have it, let me know.

GUGS102
02-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Did not realize it such a hot item. Maybe I should hoard all I can get and sell for profit. Finally a way to pay for new parts!! :)

Taylorman
02-21-2006, 07:37 PM
I have called some east valley auto zones, and checkers, and nobody has it. a few said they never even heard of it before. so, if you find a store that does have it, let me know.
They have to have it, thats a common item. Go to the Auto Zone and look for it yourself. I can't believe they don't carry it.

RICHARD TILL
02-21-2006, 08:36 PM
i`ve rebuilt carbs for 35 years. the berryman dip cannot be beat.

Cas
02-21-2006, 08:37 PM
if you want to do a little more to your carb, here's a place to get a DVD that'll walk you through the process. There's also a few other DVD's that Arron put together that can come in very handy. :)
Here's the link Power Building Videos (http://www.power-videos.com/titles.html) and here's a link to Arron's website Bad Ass Racing Engines (http://www.badasscars.com/)

Moneypitt
02-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Napa stores carry parts/carb solution. 5 gallon size works best, and the dip basket is sold seperatly. Expect to pay about $110- $120 plus the basket, but it will last years and clean just about anything. That bucket of nuts, bolts and washers we all have collected over the years can look like new after soaking a few hours. The stuff is water soluable, meaning you rinse it with the garden hose, and blow dry. The gallon size, although cheaper is just too small to dip all the pieces of a 4 barrell carb, spend the $ and get the 5er and basket, you'll be glad you did......MP

NautiII
02-22-2006, 08:01 AM
Car Quest of Chandler has it. on my way. cant believe it, NO other auto parts stores in the east valley carry this stuff!

maxwedge
02-22-2006, 08:41 AM
I'm wondering if some stuff might be harder to get in out west thanks to CARB and EPA regs. They'll sell us rednecks anything here in the midwest. :D Good carb cleaner dip often has Hex Chrome in it along with a lot of other really toxic stuff. Anyone see Erin Brokovich? Bad stuff for drinking :skull: . Cleans carbs good though. Berryman works better that the Gunk stuff IMO if you can get it.

460 jus getn it
02-22-2006, 08:57 AM
autozone sells berrymans. its really good shit......................

Moneypitt
02-22-2006, 09:03 AM
There is also a re juvinator (sp)...additive you can add in a year or so to bring the 5er back to full strength. As mentioned, some brands are better than others, but it all works better than gas and a brush!!! And yes, the mixture we get now is somewhat different than the stuff that would eat the chrome off a trailer ball that we got back in the 60s............MP

robk
02-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Lots of carb cleaner, compressed air, and an old toothbrush had mine looking like new and working great. Then again, if it had been really gunked up I would have soaked it.

h2oboy
02-22-2006, 03:07 PM
I was told to have my carb boiled out.... is this something I could do myself with this cleaner and som new gaskets.... I have a holley 4 barrel and luckly I had an extra one... but I would like to clean up the one i just took off the boat.....
Any suggestions??

NautiII
02-22-2006, 04:10 PM
I was told to have my carb boiled out.... is this something I could do myself with this cleaner and som new gaskets.... I have a holley 4 barrel and luckly I had an extra one... but I would like to clean up the one i just took off the boat.....
Any suggestions??
I am soaking mine in the cleaner as we speak. I will let it set overnight, just to give it some extra time. will let you know tomorrow how it turns out.

h2oboy
02-22-2006, 07:05 PM
I am soaking mine in the cleaner as we speak. I will let it set overnight, just to give it some extra time. will let you know tomorrow how it turns out.
great let me know what you come out with... I think I could do the same thing with mine...

NautiII
02-23-2006, 08:16 AM
ok, took my card out of BERRYMANS, and, looks just they way it did when I put it in there. waste of $29. and no, nothing is caked on . just basic carb shit. so I will try something else. maybe bead blasting, or take it somewhere.

Cas
02-23-2006, 08:31 AM
ok, took my card out of BERRYMANS, and, looks just they way it did when I put it in there. waste of $29. and no, nothing is caked on . just basic carb shit. so I will try something else. maybe bead blasting, or take it somewhere.
what were you expecting it to look like when it came out? You don't want a cleaner that's going to take the finish off and/or eat away at the housing. You want the cleaner to do just that, clean all the nooks and cranny's that you can't get to. I bought a little parts cleaner at Kragen with a little electric pump that works great for cleaning carbs and other parts. I think it was $39.00 or so, comes in handy for all kinds of things!

NautiII
02-23-2006, 08:41 AM
what were you expecting it to look like when it came out? You don't want a cleaner that's going to take the finish off and/or eat away at the housing. You want the cleaner to do just that, clean all the nooks and cranny's that you can't get to. I bought a little parts cleaner at Kragen with a little electric pump that works great for cleaning carbs and other parts. I think it was $39.00 or so, comes in handy for all kinds of things!
I was expecting it to at least clean the outside oil residue, and some built up carbon. but, nope, I could wipe it off with my finger after it came out of the solution.

Cas
02-23-2006, 09:29 AM
I was expecting it to at least clean the outside oil residue, and some built up carbon. but, nope, I could wipe it off with my finger after it came out of the solution.
Unless you have some sort of "flow" in the cleaner to take the gunk off, you will need to use a little brush. Way back when, when I went to the GM training center for the Rochester carbs, we would let the housings soak for about 30 minutes and then use the little flow nozzle to get the heavier grime off. If that still wasn't enough, we would use a long bristled brush to get the rest off. After that, we'd use a compressor with a long nozzle to blow out all the passages. It does take a little more than just soaking....hope that helps.

beerjet
02-23-2006, 10:39 AM
When I soaked my carb in barrymans , it looked about the same until I hosed it off with water and dryed it off with compressed air . Everything came out real nice.

NautiII
02-23-2006, 10:44 AM
i rinsed it off, blew it out, and still has some residue on it. also, it does have some white hard spots on it. any idea what this would be? the card was a $20 investment, a holley 750! not bad, so worth the rebuild kit and a little elbow grease i guess!

beerjet
02-23-2006, 11:20 AM
If I can remember the step were to let it soak for 30 min and then hose it down . I dont think that would make a diffrence but for $20 the tooth brush idea is always good to .

shaun
02-23-2006, 04:05 PM
I did the same thing, i fact i though it made the carb worse because it was thick and even when i rinsed the carb with gas it didnt want to get that chemdip shit off, i think i'm going to set the water heater on C wait a few hours and through my cab in the dish washer....

h2oboy
02-23-2006, 11:28 PM
Let me know where you take your to, maybe we can get a good deal if we both take our 750's there.... I really need to get mine cleaned and I am in Queen Creek..... New to the area and have no idea where to take it... let me know....

NautiII
02-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Let me know where you take your to, maybe we can get a good deal if we both take our 750's there.... I really need to get mine cleaned and I am in Queen Creek..... New to the area and have no idea where to take it... let me know....
ok. I will. it may take a few days though.

AzMandella
02-24-2006, 09:37 AM
I have rebuilding and modifieing carbs for many years.What I do is soak all the carbparts in a 5 gal carb cleaner for about 1 hr and then I pll them out and scrub with a toothbrush and then put back in the carb cleaner overnight.(Do not put the throtle body in for more than 1hr,And make sure there are no plastic or aluminum parts in the basket when you redip for the night.)In the morning turn up the hot water heater full blast and remove the dip basket and let it drain while the water heats up.When water is it's hotest fill a 5 gal bucket a little more than 1/2 way and add a 1/2 cup of detergent in it.Also fill another 5 gal bucket halfway with just hot water.After it drains place the basket in the water with the detergent and plunge it up and down in the water for about 5 min.Then remove the basket and place it into the fresh water and plunge it up and down for 5 min.Then let the basket soak in the fresh water for another 10-15 min to get the parts real hot.Then remove the basket and place the parts on a clean surface and let them airdry.Steaming hot water drys and evaparates much better than cold water.Then blow out the passages in the main body and meetering blocks with canned air.If you decide to use a compresser to blow them out with make sure the preasure isn't over 25-30psi.Now your ready for inspection and reassembly.