PDA

View Full Version : Need some help Guys

OverKill
08-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Most of you know my feet are in pretty bad shape from my accident. On my foot throttle I can't push down all the way and can only get to 4000 rpm. I have 2 solutions.
1) Mount a bicycle foot peg like peice on the side of the foot throttle so I can push down all the way.
2) Since my Place Diverter is Hydraulic I was considering using a Manual Place Control for the throttle. That would be mounted on the right side of my seat. All that area is false floor.
Can any of you give me the pro's and Con's and what idea would work best. No I am not using the 3 in one Forward/Reverse/thorttle lever, it won't work for my application.
OverKill

YeLLowBoaT
08-14-2007, 07:56 PM
if you want I can check the boat wrecking yards for one of these.
http://images.westmarine.com/thumb/07132_T.JPG
that way all you would neead to do is bolt it in place of your ST control and add another cable.

squirt'nmyload
08-14-2007, 08:04 PM
if you use a diverter control for the throttle, please install a kill switch lanyard too :D :)

502 JET
08-14-2007, 08:06 PM
I wouldn't use a place control for throttle it will stick too easy. This would be very dangerous. You need to be able to pull the throttle back fast or have it manual return preferably.
Can you use your other foot for the throttle?
If not use a non locking lever and mount it where you were considering installing the place shifter with heavy duty return springs so the lever/throttle will pull shut if you let go of the lever just like taking your foot off the gas pedal.

pw_Tony
08-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Not sure about your boat, Overkill, but on my Spectra I very much dislike the hand throttle.
When I'm going around a turn plowing water I much rather have both hands on the wheel, but then again my boat plows a lot more water than yours.
Can you mount the foot control closer?

DMOORE
08-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Can you use off-shore type throttles? They only move the throttle not the transmission.
Darrell.

OverKill
08-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Yes what I would do is take out the pin on the Manual Diverter Control so it wont lock in the notches. Also put a return spring with the same tension as the foot throttle.
No I can't use the other foot, the other one is just as bad.
I theory I would like a foot Throttle on a track. just to push the throttle on a one foot track forward. Instead of full throttle being pushed down.
Im more concerned about saftey for my family.

squirt'nmyload
08-14-2007, 08:32 PM
james, i installed one of these on my old jeep...maybe it can work on a boat too
http://www.ultimatejeepstore.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=192

OverKill
08-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Here is my setup
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/0051.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/0073.JPG

YeLLowBoaT
08-14-2007, 08:40 PM
What about a old ST control in a ply wood box thats skrewed down with al angle?

OverKill
08-14-2007, 08:52 PM
What about a old ST control in a ply wood box thats skrewed down with al angle?
That crossed my mind. I just dont know the right size for the build.

YeLLowBoaT
08-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Give me some numbers on the daimentions there and I'll gladly build you one and even glass it so it won't rot. Hel it will get some of that scrap 1/4 ply out of my garage. :)

Nucking futs
08-14-2007, 09:05 PM
James, get ahold of victorfb on the boards. He made a bitchen push throttle for his rogers. He is paralized in both legs with minimal movement.He has his dialed.I think it uses the standard pedal but is on a slide versus a pivot. He can exsplain it better.

OverKill
08-14-2007, 09:14 PM
James, get ahold of victorfb on the boards. He made a bitchen push throttle for his rogers. He is paralized in both legs with minimal movement.He has his dialed.I think it uses the standard pedal but is on a slide versus a pivot. He can exsplain it better.
FUTS that's the idea that would work best. I will send him a PM and see what I come up with. In reality my feet are paralized to a degree, no feeling in the right foot.:(
OverKill

TRG
08-14-2007, 09:19 PM
I just today noticed at my neighbors shop (Concept marine) he had designed a nice deal that seems like you want on an older cruiser, you might wanna give John Cogan a call and see what he can do for you!...hell, he helped me with my fwd/rev left pedal deallie, and he's pretty reasonably priced on his fab work. 909-447-4455
Todd

speedymopars
08-14-2007, 09:41 PM
If you can't push your foot all the way down, there is another solution that hasn't been mentioned. Move the throttle cable from the top of the holley mount to the mount just above the throttle plate. It will speed the ratio up and decrease travel.
On the foot pedal there may also be an adjustment for speeding the ratio / decreasing the travel required.
As an example, the throttle on my RV has maybe 9/16 of an inch of travel from idle to full throttle, while the same carb on my van has 3+ inches.
The slider idea is an interesting one, as long as there was a return spring, I don't know why that wouldn't work.
Maybe you could take as much travel as you can out of the pedal / carb, make the pedal lay down so to speak (more horizontal than vertical), and flip it 180 so your heal pushes down to make it go.

VAMI
08-15-2007, 07:51 AM
Would the double pedal work, two feet pushing?Or is it the bending of your ankles?

Some Kind Of Monster
08-15-2007, 08:00 AM
The place diverter idea would work great. You guys are missing the fact that we could spring load it so it returns to idle if the driver lets go.
Another idea (I was serious James) is a thumb throttle on the wheel like on a quad.

Danhercules
08-15-2007, 10:24 AM
If I remeber right, he made his piviot from the top. Victor can push with this heels, not his toes. That is why he made the top mount.
I might be thinking of his buggy though. Yea, his buggy, he drives a Sandrail with a cluch. That guy is amazing!

victorfb
08-15-2007, 11:40 AM
hey James, just sent you a PM before reading this thread. what i have done for both my boats is make a throttle syatem that pivots from the very bottom of the pedal. i place the foot on the pedal and push with my leg. the heel stays secure to give better control throughout the rpm range, especially in rougher waters. the slide system didnt work very well and was very dificult to fabricate to make it move smooth and easy. having it stick was my main concern and having a slide syatem was alot of weight to have to spring back. now that i see from the pics of what your application is, im sure we can fabricate a good system that is safe and easy to use. and also small enough to not be so combersom. our boats have limited space. as long as you think a bottom pivot will work this should be very easy. by keeping your heel secure, pushing with the leg against a spring loaded pedal should be pretty controlable as it is for me.
dan, you are correct, i did make the brake and clutch pedal on the buggy to pivot from the top with a large pedal on each to help control. the throttle however is still mounted on the floor and pivots from the bottom.

OverKill
08-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Victor/and to all
Here is my foot all the way back.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/0012.JPG
here is my foot all the way forward. Hope this will help.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/0021.JPG

victorfb
08-15-2007, 12:59 PM
not a problem. i can either fabricate an entire new system, or take your foot throttle and cut and modify it. from the pics it looks like your foot has about the same range as mine.

OverKill
08-15-2007, 01:10 PM
not a problem. i can either fabricate an entire new system, or take your foot throttle and cut and modify it. from the pics it looks like your foot has about the same range as mine.
Well holy crap man you really do know what the heck Im going through. I would like you to fabricate an entire new system. Would you tell me how long it will take to make and how much $$$ can I send you. Before all this please send me some pics of what you have when you get home tonight. However I don't see there being a problem. In fact it can only get better from what I have already.
I know Im stuborn all my friends and wife tells me to use a thumb throttle/hand throttle. I just want to use my leg/foot. I know in my heart I can make this work.
OverKill

Danhercules
08-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Before all this please send me some pics of what you have when you get home tonight. OverKill
Vic is not Mr. Picture.
Vic, Where is the Rogers? Orange or at your place? If its in Orange, I can run by and take some pics tomorrow.. If its at your place, can you bring it to the Lake tormorrow and I will take pics then.

OverKill
08-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Vic is not Mr. Picture.
Vic, Where is the Rogers? Orange or at your place? If its in Orange, I can run by and take some pics tomorrow.. If its at your place, can you bring it to the Lake tormorrow and I will take pics then.
Hey thanks guys for all the help. With any luck at all I can get this thing up and running before I head out to Havasu on the 26th.

bean
08-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Hey Overkill,
I have an idea that I think you would like. Email me at voodoocustoms@hotmail.com or give me a call 605 209-1150

victorfb
08-15-2007, 08:38 PM
sorry. i got home after dark and the rogers is here with me. if i cannot post a pic by the time i meet up with dan tomorrow at the lake, ill bring the boat to him and let him post some for ya. the shop is a mess right now from (you guessed it) making the throttle for the Kachina. but ill try and get on making one for ya as soon as possible. im sure we can get this going for your trip. i totally understand what your feeling right now. dont let others tell you what you can or cannot do. if you want to use a foot to throttle your boat, then damn it your gunna use a foot. i used small hiem joints for the linkage and i am out of them right now, but ill try and get some as quikly as i can. does the pedal need to be that far from the stringer? i see it was mounted away and on an angle. if so ill make it a full floor mount.

OverKill
08-15-2007, 10:02 PM
sorry. i got home after dark and the rogers is here with me. if i cannot post a pic by the time i meet up with dan tomorrow at the lake, ill bring the boat to him and let him post some for ya. the shop is a mess right now from (you guessed it) making the throttle for the Kachina. but ill try and get on making one for ya as soon as possible. im sure we can get this going for your trip. i totally understand what your feeling right now. dont let others tell you what you can or cannot do. if you want to use a foot to throttle your boat, then damn it your gunna use a foot. i used small hiem joints for the linkage and i am out of them right now, but ill try and get some as quikly as i can. does the pedal need to be that far from the stringer? i see it was mounted away and on an angle. if so ill make it a full floor mount.
Sounds like a plan Vic. No it does not have to be that far away from the stringer. At the time before my accident it was a very good place to have it. In fact I am probably going to pull it back towrds the seat a couple of inches. Just to get more angle with my leg for a better push. Can't wait to see these pics. God I am blessed with Hot Boat.com, always there to help me out.
OverKill

Rexone
08-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Here's a possible idea. Make a pedal that is mounted on a parallelagram type assembly much like the ripper on a Cat or the pedal on a weight machine. Pedal angle stays constant and just moved in and out with the leg. Cable is attached to the base of the pedal in either a push or pull configuration depending on need.
O k need you to get your sig pics side by side and a max of about 150 px high. Makes forums hard to read they way they are now. If you need me to resize let me know. Thanx

victorfb
08-15-2007, 10:54 PM
mike, i think i understand what your describing and to be honest i thought about something like that originaly for myself. i couldnt get the quik response of the deceleration when trying to use a slide system because of the weight and friction of the slide action, even useing sealed roller bearings. it was possible, but the entire unit would have taken up alot more space (with my design) so i opted to go further with the pivot style system. plus it allowed me to somewhat keep the look of the old school style pedal. as a matter of fact i used the original rogers casted pedal to make it as original looking as possible. not that overkill is looking for that, but it was cool. for an amputie i think the slide system would be more applicable, but it looks like overkill has a desent amout of range of motion with his foot and i think he should be good with a pedal that pivots from the heel. plus with the cantalever being adjustable, it will allow him to adjust the amount of throw the pedal needs to move from idle to full throttle. i suggest the most amount of throw as possible to help aid in control of rpm range.

OverKill
08-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Here's a possible idea. Make a pedal that is mounted on a parallelagram type assembly much like the ripper on a Cat or the pedal on a weight machine. Pedal angle stays constant and just moved in and out with the leg. Cable is attached to the base of the pedal in either a push or pull configuration depending on need.
O k need you to get your sig pics side by side and a max of about 150 px high. Makes forums hard to read they way they are now. If you need me to resize let me know. Thanx
Hey Mike thanks for the info. In fact I am new to all the picture posting and would very much like you to resize my sig photos and put them side by side. for example, look at Havasu Carrera's Sig photos, that would work just fine in that format.
OverKill

Some Kind Of Monster
08-16-2007, 07:17 AM
Is this kind of like what you are talking about Vic? Like in a car?
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37148&stc=1&d=1187277422

Danhercules
08-16-2007, 10:12 AM
No. If you look at stock petal, the pivot is 1/4 or 1/3 the way up the petal. The heel accually come tward you when you push with your toes.
Vic, makes the pivon at the heel. So the heel will not move and its much easier to push.
Thats what I remeber his boat petal lookin like. Am I right Vic?

victorfb
08-16-2007, 10:55 AM
yep, you got it dan. now dont start jumpin around yelling you finally got something right.lol dan is correct, the heel stays stationary to aid in control.

victorfb
08-16-2007, 02:04 PM
here are a few pics of the rogers pedal. the kachina pedal has the cantalever on the back side but very similar.

victorfb
08-16-2007, 02:11 PM
a few more.

Danhercules
08-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Here ya go Vic
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/foot_throttle_006.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/foot_throttle_004.jpg

OverKill
08-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Victor
That it the ticket there. From what I can see is full throttle all the way down to that carpeted back board?? Looking at my limited foot movement and your foot throttle, that would be perfect. Let me know what it will cost and what time frame on getting it here. Should be a bolt and go set up as far as I can see.
I will also have to put a gel foot soul on because I have no padding in my foot. It's all metal hardware. It's either that or ride with my orthotic shoes, and that wouldn't be any fun. Or I will just glue a flip flop to it and cut off the straps

cave
08-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Hey James you be gellin??? :D

victorfb
08-16-2007, 04:46 PM
i can make a pedal similar to the ones i made here. allthough these are stainless steel and too heavy for your application. ill make it from aluminum. glueing a pad onto the pedal shouldnt be too difficult. pedals 001.jpg pedals 002.jpg pedals 003.jpg

Danhercules
08-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Look at Mr Fancy Picture Guy!!! :D :)
Vic, Hows my puke tank commin? I will give up my fab spot for the foot petal. I can get on the water with out my puke tank, Overkill cannot.

OverKill
08-16-2007, 05:45 PM
i can make a pedal similar to the ones i made here. allthough these are stainless steel and too heavy for your application. ill make it from aluminum. glueing a pad onto the pedal shouldnt be too difficult. pedals 001.jpg pedals 002.jpg pedals 003.jpg
Victor Those do look nice. However do to so much metal making up my feet, I went from a size 12 to a size 14 in foot size. So the on in the Rogers with the open toe/foot Throttle would be best. Those sure do look nice for sure, nice and shiney and worth every penny.
OverKill

OverKill
08-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Hey James you be gellin??? :D
Hey I'm gellin, are you gellin?? Thats what I'm going to put on the back of my boat.
GELLIN

Rexone
08-16-2007, 06:04 PM
Victor I have pedal blanks, just the plates with no holes, unwelded if you need such a thing, also the straps for the sides. I just haven't put them on the website yet. I plan on selling them as undrilled units so people can put their own holes in them or none at all if they prefer vs the ones we make up drilled with all the holes in. I can supply CNC'd pieces unwelded or welded up units.
Okill, you might consider the foam they make ski bindings out of, possibly laminate a couple layers together and glue to pedal. Just a thought.
I'll work on your images later on. :)

cave
08-16-2007, 06:21 PM
There is another solution. Let the little woman drive till you get all healed up... i know thats not what your hoping for but its getting close to Labor day. Is this something that can be done and all the bugs worked out before the big weekend?

OverKill
08-16-2007, 09:13 PM
There is another solution. Let the little woman drive till you get all healed up... i know thats not what your hoping for but its getting close to Labor day. Is this something that can be done and all the bugs worked out before the big weekend?
ya Chay'le can drive just fine, in fact we were talking about her doing alot more of it this trip out.
As far as getting this thing done before the big trip, only time will tell. I do have PHIL BERGERON building me a peice as we speak. I just want to try every option I have to get the right one. Worse case senerio, I just cruise at 3500 the whole time and relax with you fine people :D .
OverKill

victorfb
08-17-2007, 11:23 AM
well if Phil cant make you what you need, let me know.

OverKill
08-17-2007, 12:15 PM
well if Phil cant make you what you need, let me know.
Thanks Vic I will let you know by today. I have to check out the peice Phil has made and see if it might work.
OverKill

OverKill
08-21-2007, 09:40 PM
A little update guys. Finally got my foot throttle modified today, it's exactly what I have been looking for. Best part about it, it was my idea. I will give it a shot this Labor day weekend and see how it holds up.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/0063.JPG
New Air scoop
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/0074.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/0122.JPG

OverKill
08-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Thanks again to all who have helped me with some great ideas with this thing. Victorfb if this thing doesn't work out in the long run, I'm runnin to you man :D :D . Thanks again for all your help.
OverKill