PDA

View Full Version : I'm sure most will know this boat

rivrrts429
08-15-2007, 05:55 PM
I finally broke down and bought a new boat. Southwind Tunnel Dragster, 468 chevy and berkley pump. I hear nuckin futs knows the boat real well, I would love to hear the history on it. Its the same boat that is on the southwind jet boats web site. I will be runnin it at Big River this weekend. Hope to see you all there.
Richard

tx-19
08-15-2007, 07:13 PM
nice boat,let us know how things go this weekend.u going to take it labor day?

Nucking futs
08-15-2007, 07:13 PM
That was my brothers boat, fourq. I know all about it. How much did you pick it up for if you don't mind telling?
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37140&d=1187229287
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37141&d=1187229296
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37142&d=1187229311

FOURQ
08-15-2007, 07:25 PM
yep thats my old ride... it sure was nice of him to remove my number but I would have thought he would have taken the CLM stickers off lol.. it looks like it did the day it left my house .. does it still have the jetaway? what did ya pay for it I hope Scott didnt rape you to bad..:D

FOURQ
08-15-2007, 07:30 PM
when you want my setup that I took out of it give me a PM. i didn't think that Scott could handle it so I took ALL the setup out of it to keep it safe.. it used to run a nice number unless the engine internals were changed...

Nucking futs
08-15-2007, 07:44 PM
when you want my setup that I took out of it give me a PM. i didn't think that Scott could handle it so I took ALL the setup out of it to keep it safe.. it used to run a nice number unless the engine internals were changed...
I pm'ed him the same thing...lol

rivrrts429
08-15-2007, 07:49 PM
yep thats my old ride... it sure was nice of him to remove my number but I would have thought he would have taken the CLM stickers off lol.. it looks like it did the day it left my house .. does it still have the jetaway? what did ya pay for it I hope Scott didnt rape you to bad..:D
Scott was a good guy to deal with but he only took it out a couple times since he bought it from you. I got the impression that the boat was alot for him as well. He told me that he has only put a handful of hours on it since he got it. He said you did all the work on it. Nice job by the way:D Yes the jetaway is still on it. And no he didnt rape me to bad;) :D Actually I think pretty square. $7500

rivrrts429
08-15-2007, 07:52 PM
nice boat,let us know how things go this weekend.u going to take it labor day?
For sure I'll be there Labor Day. We'll have to meet up. I need to try and work any quirks out this weekend with the boat. Maybe FOURQ can hook me up with the old set up:D :D

ol guy
08-15-2007, 07:55 PM
Sure would like to know how the boat does for you! I raced one back in the early 80s and they will run. looks like the pod has been cut down so its the same underwater hardware set-up as an early placecraft. If you feel so inclined hit me on this site and let me know. FYI 1980 southwind tunnel dragster 429 cj tunnel ram motor NJBA 92MPH.

Riverbass
08-15-2007, 07:55 PM
Forget the boat I want the buick in the background.:D :D :D

FOURQ
08-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Scott was a good guy to deal with but he only took it out a couple times since he bought it from you. I got the impression that the boat was alot for him as well. He told me that he has only put a handful of hours on it since he got it. He said you did all the work on it. Nice job by the way:D Yes the jetaway is still on it. And no he didnt rape me to bad;) :D Actually I think pretty square. $7500
wow he lost some $. I would say you stole it .. I had about 15000 in it and sold it for I think 9400 to Scott. I knew it wasnt the boat for him but what do ya do when someone has cash in hand lol... I went through everything just before I sold it. it has a nice TPR race preped pump with a berkley A. engine is all stock internals cast crank stock rods with TRW forged pistons, isky cam pete jackson gear drive proform carb about 9.5/1 compression. if I rember right the loader thats in there should be changed if you want it to load good I cant rember if we took the uncut one out or not but if its cut you may want to look at getting a new one. the bottom was just blueprinted as well. is all the chrome holding up???? I miss the chrome :D
if you want anymore info feel free to call anytime 928-208-0291
Shawn

FOURQ
08-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Sure would like to know how the boat does for you! I raced one back in the early 80s and they will run. looks like the pod has been cut down so its the same underwater hardware set-up as an early placecraft. If you feel so inclined hit me on this site and let me know. FYI 1980 southwind tunnel dragster 429 cj tunnel ram motor NJBA 92MPH.
the pod was cut down for a pop-off but the intake is still in the stock location...
this boat also ran 87 with a hurt engine 80% leakdown on 2 cylinders..

victorfb
08-15-2007, 08:20 PM
yep, i remember that boat. you got a smokin deal. congrats.

Cs19
08-15-2007, 08:29 PM
The bros. did a nice job on that boat, I really liked it. good buy!!

rivrrts429
08-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the input, I just hung up the phone with FOURQ and I know I got a good buy. Way stoked to get it on the water.
Nuckin Futs & Fourq - Thanks for the input and we can get together in the next couple of weeks;)

san-d-eggo
08-16-2007, 03:37 AM
hey richard. congrats brother. wont be there for its maiden voyage this weekend. we wont be back out there till labor day. right when you get to the edge of the launch ramp, break a beer bottle over the bow like they do when they launch yachts. its good luck you know. oh yeah you drink cans... well smash a can on it.

rivrrts429
08-16-2007, 05:45 AM
hey richard. congrats brother. wont be there for its maiden voyage this weekend. we wont be back out there till labor day. right when you get to the edge of the launch ramp, break a beer bottle over the bow like they do when they launch yachts. its good luck you know. oh yeah you drink cans... well smash a can on it.
:eek: :D

FOURQ
08-16-2007, 08:29 AM
trust me you break any bottles or crush any cans on that hull and you will be taking it the a glass shop to get repaired.. its not a Yacht :D

rivrrts429
08-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Forget the boat I want the buick in the background.:D :D :D
The lead sled:D
That thing is cherry, old school flat black. The interior is immaculate. He runs two 4 barrel holleys with straight pipes. Wake you up from a dead sleep if he leaves early morning

rivrrts429
08-16-2007, 11:45 AM
trust me you break any bottles or crush any cans on that hull and you will be taking it the a glass shop to get repaired.. its not a Yacht :D
I dont want any glass shop on speed dial, in fact I dont want to talk about that period:D :D

DUCKY
08-16-2007, 01:58 PM
I dont want any glass shop on speed dial, in fact I dont want to talk about that period:D :D
Why not....:D

san-d-eggo
08-16-2007, 03:04 PM
well then do it on the bow eye. dude im bummed the brb wont be in full effect for the maiden voyage. i wanna go for a hot lap labor day. wed thru wed

SHAWNINATOR
08-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Damn you got a deal. I looked at southwind tunnel and it wasnt nearly in as good of shape as that and he was askin 7500. Good pick up

GM Killer
08-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Looks like you found a good one. Hopefully I will run into you this weekend.

san-d-eggo
08-16-2007, 04:50 PM
hes not hard to miss, hes like 6'4" 120lbs soakin wet with a egg shaped head. if you dont see the boat thats him

san-d-eggo
08-16-2007, 04:56 PM
well crap here i am talkin all this trash and hes on his way to the river already!

tx-19
08-19-2007, 08:03 PM
how did everything go?

rivrrts429
08-19-2007, 08:27 PM
It went good. Boat ran great and wife digs it. I'm going to post up some pics later tonight or tomorrow. Damn...alot of people asking if it was Shawn's old boat, I had to say yes alot:D Met alot of good people who filled me in more on the history on it. One thing is for sure.....I HATE WAKEBOARD BOATS AND THEIR WAKES :mad: but water was good for the most part. Definitely stoked on the buy I got. Already making a list for winter time. I'll be back out Labor day and we can meet up. Are you bringin the youngblood this time?
Shawn - Sorry I didnt call, I had it sitting in the water at the launch ramp running trying to track down little oil leaks most of the time. I never want to see the inside of that Napa in town again:D But I got them fixed and now I can try getting the set up working right. Really appreciate all the input. I had the family there and they just wanted to cruise this weekend. I want to make a solo trip and work on the set up only. Cant do shit with them wanting to go sit in the cove every two minutes:D I'll call ya in the coming weeks.

tx-19
08-19-2007, 09:12 PM
It went good. Boat ran great and wife digs it. I'm going to post up some pics later tonight or tomorrow. Damn...alot of people asking if it was Shawn's old boat, I had to say yes alot:D Met alot of good people who filled me in more on the history on it. One thing is for sure.....I HATE WAKEBOARD BOATS AND THEIR WAKES :mad: but water was good for the most part. Definitely stoked on the buy I got. Already making a list for winter time. I'll be back out Labor day and we can meet up. Are you bringin the youngblood this time?
Shawn - Sorry I didnt call, I had it sitting in the water at the launch ramp running trying to track down little oil leaks most of the time. I never want to see the inside of that Napa in town again:D But I got them fixed and now I can try getting the set up working right. Really appreciate all the input. I had the family there and they just wanted to cruise this weekend. I want to make a solo trip and work on the set up only. Cant do shit with them wanting to go sit in the cove every two minutes:D I'll call ya in the coming weeks.
bringing the youngblood,probably leaving friday afternoon.

san-d-eggo
08-20-2007, 03:33 AM
richard, looked like a good time. see you guys friday??

rivrrts429
08-20-2007, 05:57 AM
richard, looked like a good time. see you guys friday??
You won't see me this weekend, but you will Labor Day. I'll see you then.

FOURQ
08-20-2007, 11:35 AM
glad to hear your happy with it .. what was the oil leak???? no problem just give me a call and we can hook up to set her up....so wash she setup like Scott said?? BAD?

dmontzsta
08-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Crazy to see that boat pop up. I know Shawn went through everything on that boat right before he sold it, I am still in shock over him selling it after all that work.

rivrrts429
08-20-2007, 03:49 PM
glad to hear your happy with it .. what was the oil leak???? no problem just give me a call and we can hook up to set her up....so wash she setup like Scott said?? BAD?
Just little stuff. The pan started leaking real bad and then the gauge started showing 5 psi of oil pressure @ 4k rpm:eek: but kept bouncing between 70psi and 10. I think the sending unit on the block might be failing or I hope:) . I'm going to try and put a mechanical unit on it and it should be more accurate. I'm going to run it on the hose this weekend. I ran it from the upper dam cove all the way back down to Big River with the gauge bouncing back and forth. I thought that if it started making noise I could buy my wife all forged internals for Xmas:D :D
The set up wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but like I said I never really got to mess around with some faster passes. My wife and son were with me most of the time. The few runs I did make the boat ran really well but felt like it ran wet. I asked my wife to video some passes so I could see it better but turns out she was busy talkin when I was drivin:mad: It loves to porpoise (sp.) between 3000-3400rpm. Have you ever had a straight snoot on it? I'm definitely going to need your help with the ride plate and cavs. You built a great boat and got alot of compliments this weekend. It still has more in it just with messin around with the set up. My buddy was doing 60 on gps and I cruised by him pretty easy going down river. All in all I love it and was very happy.
By the way - I met Mike (green and white jet). Way good people and he knew the boat well. If Mike is on the boards, thanks for the input and your boat looks like its headed for the moon:D

rivrrts429
08-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Here are a few pics from this weekend. I have more but will upload later. Don't worry shawn, the CLM decals are already gone:D ;)

Nucking futs
08-20-2007, 05:29 PM
The CLM stickers made the boat. Now its just a pile....:D
Mike is on the boards as Rivertard. Hes known for his insane wheelies.
If you want some original SWTD stickers pm moneysucker here on the boards. He made all my stickers and they are off the hook. He can make any color you want. All the SWTD porpose at a certian rpm. I hate it as well but im sure you can get most of it out with a Place diverter. We always ran fixed nozzles on them but im leaning toward one for mine. Im building a nice SKI BOAT right now. Hopefully it will get wet this year.
Where is the set up at now? Also If it has that cut loader in it, that need to go first, I think Shawn had mentioned that earlier. I loved driving that boat,can't wait for mine to be done.

rivrrts429
08-20-2007, 06:35 PM
The CLM stickers made the boat. Now its just a pile....:D
Mike is on the boards as Rivertard. Hes known for his insane wheelies.
If you want some original SWTD stickers pm moneysucker here on the boards. He made all my stickers and they are off the hook. He can make any color you want. All the SWTD porpose at a certian rpm. I hate it as well but im sure you can get most of it out with a Place diverter. We always ran fixed nozzles on them but im leaning toward one for mine. Im building a nice SKI BOAT right now. Hopefully it will get wet this year.
Where is the set up at now? Also If it has that cut loader in it, that need to go first, I think Shawn had mentioned that earlier. I loved driving that boat,can't wait for mine to be done.
I think the cut loader is in it, I will check tonight. I'm curious to know how it will run with a place diverter, kinda expensive item to just try out but I can't see why it wouldn't be good. To me the set up isn't to far off. I want to mess with the ride plate and plates. They're to far up, I need to go the other way and come down with them a couple degrees from 0. Once I get there I think I can mess with wedge. Its a package I need to learn more. Its my first tunnel so I'm taking baby steps. My other jets were pretty easy and v bottoms. Its all just little stuff that takes time but I still want its potential with the current motor package. I had a perma smile all weekend long, even when I'm dropping wrenches in the water at the boat launch:D :D
I will PM Moneysucker and order up a couple
Thanks Tim and I now have you and your brother on speed dial if I need help:D :D

Nucking futs
08-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Acutally I think you need to go up on the ride plate. I think it was at 2* up. Start the tunnel plates @ 0 I would also recomend a Backcut shoe and get rid of the taper shoe thats in it. It will take some time to dial it in but she will come around.

rivrrts429
08-20-2007, 08:02 PM
More pictures of this weekend

rivrrts429
08-20-2007, 08:06 PM
Acutally I think you need to go up on the ride plate. I think it was at 2* up. Start the tunnel plates @ 0 I would also recomend a Backcut shoe and get rid of the taper shoe thats in it. It will take some time to dial it in but she will come around.
Damn, I love this site. Reaching my goal on this boat just got alot easier. This is goin to cost me a hell of alot of beer...so what do you drink so I can be sure to stock it for Labor day:D

Pops@Aggressor
08-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Since Tom is not here to ask maybe Old Rigger or someone else can answer.
Was the Southwing Dragster first of the setback pod tunnels.
I know this: Every time I pass a Southwind, I drop back and take a second and third look. Enjoy it.

FOURQ
08-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Since Tom is not here to ask maybe Old Rigger or someone else can answer.
Was the Southwing Dragster first of the setback pod tunnels.
I know this: Every time I pass a Southwind, I drop back and take a second and third look. Enjoy it.
yes it was

Nucking futs
08-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Q, you miss the boat yet? That would be a sick ride with the 496 in it.:D
Im glad someone that will use and enjoy it has it. Its cool to see them out on the water.Wonder if I can get my parts back now? :D

dmontzsta
08-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Im glad someone that will use and enjoy it has it. Its cool to see them out on the water.Wonder if I can get my parts back now? :D
He is joining the yuppie crowd and going with the havazoo boats. :D

rivrrts429
08-21-2007, 04:19 PM
:eek:

RIVERTIME247
08-21-2007, 05:00 PM
:eek:
i thought i spotted you heading back on the 10 on sunday...how did you like the feel of the southwind tunnel. did you gps her...?

moneysucker
08-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Richard,
Here are the stickers I have
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/IMAG0539.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/IMAG0538.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/IMAG0537.JPG
$10.00 for the first one $8 after that to your door. I may be able to meet you too, I am in the IE all the time. Color choices we may have to negotiate a price on, depending if I have the color already if not we can work something out. These prices apply to any hot boat members and I do take checks. Call with any questions.
Cy
CYCO Designs
619-871-6157
I also know a little about SWTDs too if you have any questions.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSCN0916.JPG

FOURQ
08-21-2007, 05:16 PM
ya I wish I had her still.. would be ROCKET with the 496 in it.. :D im sure he would give you them piece of shit breathers back ;).
I still have the flat shoe if you want to get that from me and send it out to be cut as a back cut.

FOURQ
08-21-2007, 05:20 PM
what the hell do you know yours only ran 100 once... with that blower and Hat you still cant get that thing to move ......:D
you going to run in the bay this year????

FOURQ
08-21-2007, 05:21 PM
ya ya dont hate I still have the little 18' jet boat waiting to spank your ass when that ferd v-drive gets done you fuggin Wigger

moneysucker
08-21-2007, 05:50 PM
what the hell do you know yours only ran 100 once... with that blower and Hat you still cant get that thing to move ......:D
you going to run in the bay this year????
No, I am not running the bay this year. Tre is. How fast have you been in a SWTD that you have owned. Not 100. Mine runs fine and My next one will be a little better.

rivrrts429
08-21-2007, 05:59 PM
i thought i spotted you heading back on the 10 on sunday...how did you like the feel of the southwind tunnel. did you gps her...?
It was me. I didnt have plans to bring the boat home but I realized I needed to work on it more. I love the boat and it rides awesome. My wife said the boat was the best investment...I've been in the garage for the last week workin on it and stayin out of her way.:D :D
I didn't GPS it but my buddy was running down river late and he was at 61 on gps and I cruised by him pretty easily. I'm thinkin it may be set up for mid 70's but may get more if I let it run for a 1/2 mile:D Not real sure how the motor would sound after that though;) I keep workin on the boat to get it just right and I'll definately see more.

rivrrts429
08-21-2007, 06:04 PM
:eek: :sqeyes:
She's purdy, holy shiat
that black looks painfully hot at the river

moneysucker
08-21-2007, 06:09 PM
:eek: :sqeyes:
She's purdy, holy shiat
that black looks painfully hot at the river
Yes, and I laugh my ass off when someone accidentally touches it. to hold it I have to splash water on the rail. It looks great for the 5 minutes it is clean though.
Cy

rivrrts429
08-21-2007, 06:09 PM
ya I wish I had her still.. would be ROCKET with the 496 in it.. :D im sure he would give you them piece of shit breathers back ;).
I still have the flat shoe if you want to get that from me and send it out to be cut as a back cut.
You can have the breathers, oh wait the trash man already came:D :D

san-d-eggo
08-22-2007, 03:52 AM
RWW.5 were all goin friday... even alan will be there. get that boat fixed and lets roll!

rivrrts429
08-22-2007, 05:33 AM
RWW.5 were all goin friday... even alan will be there. get that boat fixed and lets roll!
No can do brotha:( I have to do inventory at work. I will be heading up next wed. or thurs for Labor day though. I'll call ya next week.

wolfie
08-27-2007, 08:52 PM
That thing would run a little faster if you clean out all the old beer cans from under the forward deck. They're problably left overs from when Shawn had it. All empties, too!!!!!!!:D
What's up Shawn. Starting to miss the boat? BALLER!!!!!:D
You ever get that check?

rivrrts429
08-28-2007, 05:54 AM
That thing would run a little faster if you clean out all the old beer cans from under the forward deck. They're problably left overs from when Shawn had it. All empties, too!!!!!!!:D
You ever get that check?
:eek: :D

÷קmᮆښ×÷
08-28-2007, 09:07 AM
You ever get that check?
nope no beer cans in there its a solid sealed bulkhead...yes I have missed her for a while :D no baller here... no check yet but I havent checked the box in a few days I will go and do it today ...

FOURQ
08-28-2007, 09:09 AM
nope no beer cans in there its a solid sealed bulkhead...yes I have missed her for a while :D no baller here... no check yet but I havent checked the box in a few days I will go and do it today ...
didnt know I was logged into that account

dmontzsta
08-28-2007, 09:27 AM
ya ya dont hate I still have the little 18' jet boat waiting to spank your ass when that ferd v-drive gets done you fuggin Wigger
True, I will be slow. ;)

rivrrts429
08-28-2007, 11:03 AM
didnt know I was logged into that account
You do now:D Its that multiple personality thing;)

san-d-eggo
08-28-2007, 03:13 PM
did you change your window sticker yet?

FOURQ
08-28-2007, 03:36 PM
You do now:D Its that multiple personality thing;)
ya i guess it is :D

rivrrts429
08-28-2007, 05:16 PM
did you change your window sticker yet?
I've gotten as far as taking the old one off. Moneysucker hooked it up on the new decals though. They came yesterday. BRB will be settin up shop tomorrow night, and I'm damn thirsty:D
Cy,
Thanks for the decals. They came yesterday and they're exactly what I wanted:) Call me when you need more rentals and I'll take care of ya.;)
-Richard

moneysucker
08-28-2007, 05:30 PM
I've gotten as far as taking the old one off. Moneysucker hooked it up on the new decals though. They came yesterday. BRB will be settin up shop tomorrow night, and I'm damn thirsty:D
Cy,
Thanks for the decals. They came yesterday and they're exactly what I wanted:) Call me when you need more rentals and I'll take care of ya.;)
-Richard
No problem. Thanks for the business.
I will be relisting a few on E-bay soon too. along with a bunch of boat crap.
Cy

san-d-eggo
08-29-2007, 03:36 AM
Cy,
-Richard
12 hours till i leave! this little BRB is getting parched if i do say so myself. thursday morning your gonna get a whoopin on a game of shoes. thats all we did last sunday. didnt even touch a boat!

rivrrts429
08-29-2007, 05:31 AM
12 hours till i leave! this little BRB is getting parched if i do say so myself. thursday morning your gonna get a whoopin on a game of shoes. thats all we did last sunday. didnt even touch a boat!
:eek: :eek: :sqeyes:
You do know that my pops and I are undefeated. Once you get your ass wooped I don't want to see you kickin rocks the rest of the weekend feelin sorry for yourself:D I'll see you up there tonight.
Nice avatar, looks very familiar:)

san-d-eggo
08-29-2007, 12:23 PM
:eek: :eek: :sqeyes:
You do know that my pops and I are undefeated. Once you get your ass wooped I don't want to see you kickin rocks the rest of the weekend feelin sorry for yourself:D I'll see you up there tonight.
Nice avatar, looks very familiar:)
looks familiar huh? yeah right, you've never been up at 5:45 a.m. at the river hahahha