PDA

View Full Version : Rotting transom on Laser, How much should it cost?

James Zazula
05-12-2002, 08:00 PM
Can anyone tell me the quality of this hull. I recently purchased a Laser 240 Ray 1987 model, it has a 1989 Johnson 200h GT that was rebuilt 2 years ago. It has a hydrolic jack plate, which gave it 4 inches of set back. The boat runs good with a 25 pitch prop. On GPS it ran 74mph. At the end of the boating season I found that my transom was rotting and to replace it I've been quoted by 2 places it will cost $3,200. Everything on the boat is in great shape other than the transom. Does $3,200 seem reasonable to replace the transom? Or am I being taken to the cleaners? Does the boat even seem worth spending that much on?

ratso
05-12-2002, 08:40 PM
Price is probably pretty close, be 100% sure you get a good warranty in writing, the ones we replace at my shop get a lifetime warranty and most are in the 1500-2500 dollar range.

snappertapper
05-13-2002, 05:46 AM
what are they making the transom out of for a wood and glass transom i would expect u should pay no more than $1500

James Zazula
05-13-2002, 06:02 AM
ratso do you now much about this hull it is in great shape it say's lazer 240 ray on the boat it seem's good ride's good.

James Zazula
05-13-2002, 06:08 AM
i am not shure i told him just fix it so it don't happen again do you know much about this hull?

HavasuDreamin'
05-13-2002, 06:11 AM
I think they are on the expensive side. I had my transom done in about 1995 and it cost roughly $1,600. Granted my transom is small (19' Eliminator Daytona), but then again, it is tough to work on because there is little to no room to maneuver in this small of a boat. I would recommend getting a second quote. Once you have it done, it is mandatory to put a transom saver on your trailer. This extends from the trailer's cross member to the gearcase of the outboard and holds it sturdy while on the road. The lack of a transom saver is what caused my motor bracket to start loosening up and then water to get in it and rot it out! Make sure the transom saver is strong and secure with little play. I had a custom one fabricated that mounts to the very bottom of my mid-section so that the paint on my gearcase does not get scuffed up. Good Luck

snappertapper
05-13-2002, 05:24 PM
i do all my work myself it is very easy and inexpensive

ratso
05-13-2002, 06:27 PM
WOW, someone that has actually admitted that fiberglass work is easy and inexpensive, I have to disagree. Sure, some transoms and floors can be done in a day and some may take two weeks. Some jobs are simple and easy and some you will cuss until you are blue in the face. Been doing this almost 30 years. Always thought snappertrapper was full of it, now I KNOW he is. Let snapper do that transom for 1500 and see how long it lasts, I've seen a lot of 1500 dollar transom jobs, I redo them all the time.

James Zazula
05-13-2002, 06:37 PM
I went to another guy today for another quote. In his lot he had boats from Hydrostream to Fountains, and everything in between. He quoted me $1700 with a guarantee that it would not break. Rotting is my own problem but he said it would hold up fine even with a 300X. I am hearing alot of talk that I am not spending enough and that I am spending too much. Right now I'm am lost on who to use. The guy who charges $1700 and has every boat in his yard you could think of, or the guy who is in the back woods of Northern Wisconsin who charges $3200 but really sounded like he knew what he was doing. I am trying to post pictures of my boat but I am having problems. Can anyone give me tips on this? ratso I've read alot of stuff you have put on other peoples questions can you help?

ratso
05-13-2002, 07:21 PM
James, can't find my older book, might try nada.com, I only go back to 87 with this one and it doesn't list the model you have. $1700 seems very reasonable (cheap) on the transom job. I use a lot more laminates than most of the other repair people seem to use and also guarantee it better than most others do. I even guarantee against rot damage as long as they don't have anyone else drill any holes or change anything out such as the motor etc. I tell them we must do all that and re-seal everything our way. Usually transom damage starts with the person who rigged the boat originally.

James Zazula
05-13-2002, 07:50 PM
today wen i was at a fiberglass place the guy there found in his book's a 1987 420 ray 21 footer i think that the sticker's on my boat are home made and they ```` up you know what i mean he also found a laser boat's in texas we called but no answer it look's like a hydrostream there are a lot of them were i live IL.

ratso
05-13-2002, 08:02 PM
Lotta Lasers in Texas, 1989 they listed a 420 Laser (not a 240 though) 21 footer, need to post a pic. Maybe someone can tell you what you really have.

James Zazula
05-13-2002, 08:09 PM
Thanks for all your help, I will keep in touch and let you know how the transom turns out depending who I go with. As soon as I figure out how to put pictures on I will. Again thank you and happy boating.

snappertapper
05-14-2002, 04:52 AM
yea ratso i could do the transom for $1500 and i guarentee that it will last a life time simply because when i do a transom they have a 3/8" sheet of aluminum in the middle to ensure strgenth. O AND BY THE WAY YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS FULL OF IT NOT ME.

ratso
05-14-2002, 07:56 PM
Why would you need 3/8 aluminum in your transom unless you were unsure of the quality of your work (or else you are 80 years old and the warranty is for your lifetime). Sorry snapper but you just crack me up, I have a friend just like you (full of BS). If someone hops up a motor, he can do it better. If someone blows a boat over, he has done it twice. If someone has a 100 mph boat, he has had one do 105. He claims to KNOW IT ALL but is never quite able to back it up. Buy a jack plate for 200 and he saw one yesterday for 175. I have seen where you mounted a jack plate, motor, controls, steering, and did gelcoat work on the boat all before noon the same day, you should just change your name to BOAT HOUDINI. Really though, you amuse me. You are by no means stupid, but you are kinda "OUT THERE"

snappertapper
05-15-2002, 06:41 AM
im not syaing ive done it all but i like the extra insurance of the plate when you have all the right tools and know how to manage your time you can do all those things i did before noon it is not the best looking but i have fun in it

DUCKY
05-28-2002, 10:04 PM
James,
Don't do it man! You can buy my '81 Laser 380 with new gelcoat top and bottom and a solid transom for about $4000 or so! I'm in Phoenix and it's ready to roll with Lots of new parts! Wife hates it, wants a V-Drive! Call me at (623)204-6877 or email me at sgaddie2@cox.net for pics. Thanks, Scott

Tahiti 135 Merc
06-02-2002, 08:51 PM
Shipshapetv.org,the host of that show replaced a floor and transom on an old boat,it looks like a lot of work.For $1500-$2500 I`ll put my own transom in,guarantee it will last forever too!!

ratso
06-03-2002, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I watch TV too, I'm pretty good at heart surgery and delivering babies. Can't wait until next week so I can get a few tips on how to kick Gordons ass in Nascar.

Tahiti 135 Merc
06-11-2002, 06:57 PM
Ratso,EAT ME!!

ratso
06-11-2002, 07:39 PM
Tahiti, no thanks, actually I prefer my wife. Please try wearing a better respirator when you are messing with fiberglass and resin because it is apparently F***ing your head up.

Tahiti 135 Merc
06-14-2002, 07:22 PM
OKAY,Then what?? HOSER! For someone who lives in a mobilehome,you sure are mad little person.It`s true, you proved it, that
(some)Texans mouths are bigger than their brains.HUH??? ASS!
[This message has been edited by Tahiti 135 Merc (edited June 14, 2002).]

ratso
06-14-2002, 08:19 PM
Tahiti, go back to your TV, I think I saw some of your relatives on animal planet, or do you even have a satellite hooked up to your treehouse.

Tahiti 135 Merc
06-18-2002, 11:19 AM
Sorry,you are confused AGAIN.I live in a HOUSE,that is a permanent dwelling that CAN NOT be moved.You are correct in that,MOBILEHOMES and TREEHOUSES are RAISED OFF THE GROUND.Mobilehomes have tires that most inbreds remove and sell.

snappertapper
06-19-2002, 06:16 PM
not to enter this argument but houses can be moved i have friends that work in that business, very expensive process though

seacast
09-26-2002, 06:35 AM
If you don't mind a little hard work, you can re-do the transom yourself. Check out http://www.transomrepair.com. Seacast replaces rotten wood in your transom and stringers and will never rot. It is alot cheaper than a repair shop... (although repair shops are using it!)