PDA

View Full Version : battery relocation?

Riverat84
02-21-2006, 10:07 PM
does it make any sense to move the battery up front? im just trying to make the rear of the boat float a bit higher, and since batteries weigh a bunch, i thought it would be a good idea if i were to ever do it. anyone done this? thanx...just an idea.
-reid

Cs19
02-21-2006, 11:00 PM
In my opinion its not a good idea.Its not a good place for weight (upfront) and long battery cables are not good either.I doubt the boat would float all that much higher just by moving them anyways. If your having problems getting swamped, look into a splash guard.
You have a low freeboard boat, just get used to it and make sure your bilge pump(s) are in working order.. :)

YeLLowBoaT
02-22-2006, 12:44 AM
In my opinion its not a good idea.Its not a good place for weight (upfront) and long battery cables are not good either.I doubt the boat would float all that much higher just by moving them anyways. If your having problems getting swamped, look into a splash guard.
You have a low freeboard boat, just get used to it and make sure your bilge pump(s) are in working order.. :)
what he said

SmokinLowriderSS
02-22-2006, 01:50 AM
What they said.
Also, I earn a living wiring acft. If you want to push enough 12v current 15' to spin the starter properly (300 amps or so), you're going to go to huge battery cables, I would use 2-gauge, fine-strand if you can find it. 30+ feet of it will weigh more than an additional battery, so now you have a heavier boat, and a slower one.

El Prosecutor
02-22-2006, 06:02 AM
The frame/stand for my battery box hooks over the stb stringer on one side while the two legs on the other side are bolted right through the suction housing and into the intake. Very secure, but this puts it so close to the suction housing that the shaft packing nut on the stb side can't be adjusted without removing the battery box. Let's see some better ideas! :boxed:

Riverat84
02-22-2006, 01:15 PM
yeah for sure....im not getting swamped at all, and im floating almost a good 6 inches high out back....thanx for the opinions..DUDELY NOTED doesnt really sound like much of a good idea to me neither. right on.