PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS - SD card?

hkunz
08-16-2007, 02:26 PM
I just got my new Garmin 430s sounder/GPS for the Advantage. Yes, we're putting a fish finder in an X-Flight 29:D The instructions say to download the new software from the Garmin site into an "SD" card. What is an SD card? I have cards for my Kodak camera that say SD on them, are they the same thing? I don't think I have an SD reader/writer on my computer, since I don't remeber ordering one installed when I had it built. What do I need?

Cheap Thrills
08-17-2007, 04:28 AM
You can get a SD card reader/ writer for your PC for about 20 bones at walmart.
If you can access the card through the camera via your PC try writing to it that way. It's worth a try.
OR,, alot of photo printers have an SD card reader /writer. if you or anyone you know has one, you could write the new software to the SD card through it.
Good Luck.
T.

wideopen545
08-19-2007, 07:42 AM
hook your cam up to your comp just like your down loading your pics
then go to your desktop click my comp find to cam and use it as a storage and load to the cam then remove your card a put it in your gps

hkunz
08-19-2007, 03:00 PM
I opulled the spare card out and stuck it in the GPS, it fit. So, then I tried using the camera, but Kodak recently "upgraded" the software, so now i can't find it on "My Computer". I guess it is off to WallyWorld to find the reader to plug in - I only have 6 USB ports, and I'm running out fast:( I guess that the old USB to Garmin-specific card reader won't be usefull any more, since my Street Pilot (that used the same special Garmin card) also died. Thanks!

wideopen545
08-20-2007, 05:07 PM
make sure your camara is turned on or the comp will not find it :D

hkunz
08-24-2007, 08:39 PM
I found an SD card reader/adapter from GE at Circuit City for $9.99, and it loaded the program onto my new X2 2GB SD card. Seems like a lot of card for the job. Anyway, thanks for the help!

496mag
09-15-2007, 08:57 PM
hook your cam up to your comp just like your down loading your pics
then go to your desktop click my comp find to cam and use it as a storage and load to the cam then remove your card a put it in your gps
I have the garmin gps for kenwood in my truck and it has the sd slot also but if you are going to do updates you have to buy a second card because the updates do not download to the unit they remain on the card so you cant remove it.