PDA

View Full Version : Is there a speed limit on the parker strip at night?

supersize
08-17-2007, 07:08 AM
I remember a few years ago people would fly by at night, and I thought they were trying to stop that.

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-17-2007, 07:14 AM
I remember a few years ago people would fly by at night, and I thought they were trying to stop that.
there is a speed limit anywhere at night.. :)

Mrs. Bordsmnj
08-17-2007, 07:25 AM
Is there a speed limit at anytime?

Kyote
08-17-2007, 07:38 AM
I'm sure that Boatcop will give some direction. It is my understanding that there is no defined speed limit on Federal Waterways. A vessals speed is determined by 'conditions'. If you hot rod at night, especialy on a crowded waterway like the Parker Strip, you can be sited for 'careless & reckless operation of a watercraft'. This is pretty subjective as the officer can impound your boat if you are naughty!
It's kind of like Spinning into the Reeds!

Boatcop
08-17-2007, 07:44 AM
I'm sure that Boatcop will give some direction. It is my understanding that there is no defined speed limit on Federal Waterways. A vessals speed is determined by 'conditions'. If you hot rod at night, especialy on a crowded waterway like the Parker Strip, you can be sited for 'careless & reckless operation of a watercraft'. This is pretty subjective as the officer can impound your boat if you are naughty!
Speed is "Reasonable and prudent for the conditions, taking into account all hazards that may be present."
Day or night.
The only way we could impound the boat, is if it was used in the commission of a Felony, involved in a collision, or has altered or fictitious registration, hull or engine/drive numbers. If the operator is arrested and there is no one to release the boat to, we'll have it towed and stored, but the owner can pick it up at any time.

Kyote
08-17-2007, 07:45 AM
The Parker Strip is a crowded waterway at night? We boat at night quite a bit, if you see more than five boats out at night, that's a lot. Most of my friends flat out refuse to drive at night because they're skeered of crashing into stuff.
You have to watch for the canoes and kayaks crossing the river to steal stuff from the folks at Emerald Cove.

Kyote
08-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Speed is "Reasonable and prudent for the conditions, taking into account all hazards that may be present."
Day or night.
The only way we could impound the boat, is if it was used in the commission of a Felony, involved in a collision, or has altered or fictitious registration, hull or engine/drive numbers. If the operator is arrested and there is no one to release the boat to, we'll have it towed and stored, but the owner can pick it up at any time.
I've seen a few being towed Alan. I respectfully change 'impounded to towed'

SCR INC
08-17-2007, 07:50 AM
You have to watch for the canoes and kayaks crossing the river to steal stuff from the folks at Emerald Cove.
So the folks from the Keys go over and steal from the camp ground?

RiverDave
08-17-2007, 08:17 AM
It's not stealing if you don't need the stuff. It's like borrowing forever.
LMAO.. :D
I've always gone with the slowest maintainable planing speed theory.. Not much need to go faster then that at night? The only reason I even go that fast is becuase you have to overcome the current.. That and it's pretty shallow north of RoadRunner, south of foxes in one area.
RD

ColeTR2
08-17-2007, 08:37 AM
I've always gone with the slowest maintainable planing speed theory.. Not much need to go faster then that at night?
I know the river like the back of my hand.... and i don't going any faster then 25mph it's unsafe to go any faster. Often at night I hear boats going like 60 out there.... F'n crazy!!

HM
08-17-2007, 08:38 AM
Can you be more specific....like...are there any reeds in the area you want to run?

ColeTR2
08-17-2007, 08:47 AM
My boat won't even spin out at 25 mph.
Sure it will.... if you hit one of the cliffs along the river, like some guys did a few years ago.

Keith E. Sayre
08-17-2007, 08:56 AM
Call me a moron and a chicken but I hate driving a boat at night.
RD may SUXXX but he is absolutely right about the slowest speed where
you can maintain plane. One might say that I've been down to the springs
a few times for dinner and as usual my drinking buddies always have me coming back at night, with a full moon--real pretty. With no moon, borderline
on terror even with a couple of spotlights. Still very difficult to find my way
and I've done it 100 times. And we don't have to worry about those millionaire homeowners from the Keyes in Kayaks and canoes without lights
navigating their favorite theiving grounds! Sometimes folks go by and I'll
get in their wake and speed up a bit but without fail, in a couple minutes
I'm back to 20 mph.
I hear some of the guys out there running hard at night and I cringe.
Maybe I am a chicken.
Keith Sayre

HM
08-17-2007, 08:59 AM
My boat won't even spin out at 25 mph.
That is a call for help that only KToy can answer. :D

Riverguy92345
08-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Wish you guys would slow down around Echo at night. Usually on the water floating around or skinny dipping off the side of the boat. Creating big waves makes it hard to stay joined together...lol:jawdrop:

Keith E. Sayre
08-17-2007, 07:19 PM
riverguy: now that was funny.
riodog: good thank you. I'll pm you. best to you.
Keith Sayre

Jbb
08-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Brown sez he's powering thru with the 'tron......hammer down......and he dares any of you to stop him.....:jawdrop:

HighRoller
08-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Ever since we dinged two out of three props present in our group we limit our night boating to the section between Polynesian Shores and the Dam at night. Cruise up to the Dam, float down to MBrown's neighborhood and repeat. Must be performed with maximum stereo volume and female companionship for maximimum effect. Err, unless the "21" yo girls you picked up turn out to be 17 as our river rookie found out last year...dumbass...

Tom Brown
08-17-2007, 07:40 PM
I'm embarrassed to say how fast I've gone at night in my boat on my lake. If the moon is out, I go just as fast as during the day... maybe faster because I'm usually hammered up at night and that always sharpens my driving skills.

Jbb
08-17-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm embarrassed to say how fast I've gone at night in my boat on my lake. If the moon is out, I go just as fast as during the day... maybe faster because I'm usually hammered up at night and that always sharpens my driving skills.
Not unlike this fellow...?
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/Copy_of_BUBBLES.jpg

Tom Brown
08-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Not unlike this fellow...?
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/Copy_of_BUBBLES.jpg
Simiar to that but with less wood.

HighRoller
08-17-2007, 07:51 PM
I forgot about the one other time we were cured of night boating south of Fox's. We left the Roadrunner with my friend's Dad as the DD. Fortunately he was sober, unfortunately he was not a good boat driver. We told him to point the bow downstream, throttle up and keep the trim down. We instantly were thrown back onto the rear bench seats as he trimmed full up getting on a plane and we did a huge wheelie! Then he asked, "where's the bow?" We kicked him out of the seat and my friend drove at 15-20mph because there was no moon and we knew there was a buoy at the 5mph zone by the Blue Water. Good thing. I saw the buoy 50ft out and we were able to slow down and avoid it.

Jbb
08-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Simiar to that but with less wood.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37254&stc=1&d=1187409197

Tom Brown
08-17-2007, 07:53 PM
I forgot about the one other time we were cured of night boating south of Fox's. We left the Roadrunner with my friend's Dad as the DD. Fortunately he was sober, unfortunately he was not a good boat driver. We told him to point the bow downstream, throttle up and keep the trim down. We instantly were thrown back onto the rear bench seats as he trimmed full up getting on a plane and we did a huge wheelie! Then he asked, "where's the bow?" We kicked him out of the seat and my friend drove at 15-20mph because there was no moon and we knew there was a buoy at the 5mph zone by the Blue Water. Good thing. I saw the buoy 50ft out and we were able to slow down and avoid it.
There's perfect proof that it's far safer to be hammered than to be inexperienced. :cool:

Jbb
08-17-2007, 07:56 PM
There's perfect proof that it's far safer to be hammered than to be inexperienced. :cool:
RD can explain it best....:D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181rd_21.jpg

Tom Brown
08-17-2007, 07:57 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37254&stc=1&d=1187409197
The goal is to get enough flight time to rub one out before returning to the controls for the re-entry.

Jbb
08-17-2007, 08:03 PM
The goal is to get enough flight time to rub one out before returning to the controls for the re-entry.
That right there ...takes talent....:D

Tom Brown
08-17-2007, 08:09 PM
That right there ...takes talent....:D
Indeed. Glastron owners are the best daredevils because of our deep sexual repression. :cool:

SK48
08-17-2007, 08:39 PM
:) Most dangerous night I have ever had on the river was throttling for Paul Tracy's girl friend in his 34' Magic, while she was chasing Robby Gordon's girl friend in his whipple charged Conquest cat. fortunatually it ended well at Sundance, with out any accidents. We ran about two passes from dam to dam at almost wide open throttle. Not proud of that incident, but it sure was fun at the time. The river is more crowded, and no wake speed should be the law after dark in my opinion. Glad no one got hurt.

boatnam2
08-18-2007, 05:02 AM
I use to be a dumbass and run all night in parker 100+ sometimes dont know what i was thinking,glad i didnt kill anyone.One of my main things i use to do was haul people from sundance from 1-3am because the barge to take them home was always full could make a couple of hundred bucks and a few cases of beer in just an hour or so only driving far as big bend people would beg to get in even just put there girlfreinds in to get them back to camp.then about 7-8 years ago the police stepped up there night presence bigtime and i stopped runing at night for the most part,now i dont run at night period.The only place to go is the bars and i know im drinking so no need to even do it,even with a DD because i cant handle the way they drive not knowing the river plus the other drunks out there,sunset is the last the boat see's before it is pulled out for the night.

Kyote
08-18-2007, 08:35 AM
I would never boat at night in Parker with somebody that didn't frequently drive the river at night. I rode with a guy that was not experienced on the river at night, but very experienced during the day, and I swear he didn't have a clue where he was, where he was going or where the middle of the river was. He kept saying stuff like "There's the keyes coming up" when we had passed the keyes 5 minutes ago. I kept wanting to reach over his shoulder and yank the wheel out of his hands.
Very good reason to be extremely careful and alert if you choose to boat at night on the Parker Strip.
You never know who's out there with you.

Boatcop
08-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Very good reason to be extremely careful and alert if you choose to boat at night on the Parker Strip.
You never know who's out there with you.
You can be pretty sure that we'll be out there with you.
:D

boatnam2
08-18-2007, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE=Boatcop;2739382]You can be pretty sure that we'll be out there with you.
that is a fact:D