PDA

View Full Version : Cole Nighthawk vs Superhawk (Cole Experts?)

fatboy95
08-17-2007, 08:18 AM
Got into a conversation the other day with a guy about the Cole 22's. Does anyone know what differences there are between the Superhawk and the Nighthawk? Changes to the hull, deck, engine choices???? The two boats boats seem similar.:confused:

bigq
08-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Got into a conversation the other day with a guy about the Cole 22's. Does anyone know what differences there are between the Superhawk and the Nighthawk? Changes to the hull, deck, engine choices???? The two boats boats seem similar.:confused:
One has a prefix of "Super " and the other says"Night"....
Just trying to help:D

fatboy95
08-17-2007, 09:07 AM
One has a prefix of "Super " and the other says"Night"....
Just trying to help:D
:D :D :D :) :idea: :jawdrop: :mad: :) :o
I feel better already

rivercrazy
08-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Pretty sure they are the same. I think they just renamed that hull at some point to refresh the line. The other 21-22 footer they had used the same bottom as the Superhawk but it was an openbow named something else.

RiverDave
08-17-2007, 09:11 AM
I've been told by a few people that they are all the same bottom..
Hope that helps.
RD

fatboy95
08-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Pretty sure they are the same. I think they just renamed that hull at some point to refresh the line. The other 21-22 footer they had used the same bottom as the Superhawk but it was an openbow named something else.
May have been the "Skier"

eliminatedsprinter
08-17-2007, 09:33 AM
If I remember correctly the 22.4 skier had it's own hull that is a bit longer and with more freeboard than the 22 nighthawk and supperhawk.

Cole Trickle
08-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Speaking of Coles...... I can't find a ton of info on our boat. Did Cole make a 20.5 or 21' Skier?
Can anyone tell me what this is and what years they were made?
Pretty sure it's a mid 80's
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2491cole.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2491cole2.JPG

eliminatedsprinter
08-17-2007, 10:04 AM
As I recall, they made a 20.05 skier. I don't know of a 21.

fatboy95
08-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Speaking of Coles...... I can't find a ton of info on our boat. Did Cole make a 20.5 or 21' Skier?
Can anyone tell me what this is and what years they were made?
Pretty sure it's a mid 80's
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2491cole.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2491cole2.JPG
It is hard to find info. I thought the skier was a 22 and the Super Sport was a 20.5 I've seen skiers from 95 and 96. What do the last 2 digits on your your HIN tell you?

Cole Trickle
08-17-2007, 10:17 AM
It is hard to find info. I thought the skier was a 22 and the Super Sport was a 20.5 I've seen skiers from 95 and 96. What do the last 2 digits on your your HIN tell you?

fatboy95
08-17-2007, 10:33 AM
The Cole mystery continues. Guess Jim Cole is the only one that can provide answers. I've heard that he is in Arizona, California making boats again and dead. Amazing guy that can do so many things.:) :) Where is the guy????

fatboy95
08-17-2007, 04:32 PM
I've been told by a few people that they are all the same bottom..
Hope that helps.
RD
Some guy was on here saying that those 22 hulls were off by 3/4 inch from keel to strake. What's up with that????

brianwhiteboy
08-17-2007, 04:45 PM
As I recall, they made a 20.05 skier. I don't know of a 21.
here's my 91' 20.5 Super Sport Cole.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSC01921.jpg

Hankster
08-17-2007, 05:11 PM
While no expert, I was at Cole's shop after SEMA (1999 or so) and asked him the same question. The only difference was the rear deck area, behind the hatch. One was squarer and one had boarding handles...don't remember which was which, but it was just a matter of preference...Hank

fatboy95
08-17-2007, 05:27 PM
That is super clean for a 91, what's under the hatch?

P-Money
08-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Since were throwing up some pics, here's my 20.5 Cole
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/540DSC01384.JPG
Motor prior to completion
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/540DSC00737.JPG

djunkie
08-17-2007, 05:40 PM
If I had to guess I'd say the engine. LOL!!!!!!!! Sorry, I had to. :D :D

fatboy95
08-17-2007, 06:09 PM
That engine is super sick.
Ditto on that................ That is a sweet ride.......
:) :)

fatboy95
08-17-2007, 06:12 PM
If I had to guess I'd say the engine. LOL!!!!!!!! Sorry, I had to. :D :D
:D :D Set myself up for that one...

fatboy95
08-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Since were throwing up some pics, here's my 20.5 Cole
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/540DSC01384.JPG
Motor prior to completion
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/540DSC00737.JPG
Who built that engine? Any Dyno numbers on it?

brianwhiteboy
08-17-2007, 06:40 PM
just a plain ol' Hardin Marine 454.........not nearly as nice as that other one! :2purples:

Marty Gras
08-17-2007, 07:09 PM
The 22' "Hawks" do have the 3/4" problem. (the skiiers are a different boat) Now I'll let you discover another thing you don't know, (and it's right in front of your faces) about the boats pictured. Back in the late 70's I purchased a used mold (built in Ontario Cal) I changed the bottom, bigger strakes and a "one degree delta pad bottom". I had the mold at a glass shop in Burbank Cal. Many people used that same glass shop, as it was well known. I wanted to build a fast family V-drive boat and had a winner with my 20' 6" 'Express cruiser'. We built and sold quite a few, turn key and as kits for the popular "B&M blower smallblock as built by PAW Autoparts". We were busy thru 82/83/84, and then didn't sell any in 1985. "Cole Trickle" please measure your hull at the side back at the transom. The chine, to the 'fold' and then to the molding (cap rail). Please report your findings! Your boat was one of the first Coles of that design, and was in fact a "demo boat" for Cole. The first one like your's is a silver and red/maroon outboard, and is still in service. Now Mr Brianwhiteboy and Mr Fatboy95, please measure your hulls at the side close to the transom. My 20'6" boat is the shorter version and has a flatter fore-deck, the "new and improved 20" SS" is the taller (2 1/2") with a slightly rounded fore-deck. I don't know (???) where Cole got his first few (lower profile style) hulls??? But I do know that he built his own molds for the "new improved design"! (so did HiTech) Cole printed a brochure that had Mr Cole Trickle's boat in it along with some of the new taller design hulls without any reference to the changes. At this point, a Cole is a Cole, and the VIN# gives it it's dollar value. When I was 2 miles from Cole, it wasn't far enough. Today I'm 350 miles from Cole and it's still not far enough. I know a lot of great people worked for Cole and built the boats you now have. Many of them are doing their own thing (boat shops) and some have just faded away. The boats were well built, and should hold good values for a long time. No builder offers the "perfect boat", some come close.

P-Money
08-18-2007, 04:39 AM
Who built that engine? Any Dyno numbers on it?
Thats a garage special...:D Buddy of mine put it together, 496, 990 heads, 750 holleys, 8-71, etc... Been a super reliable motor.
No dyno numbers, but it will spin an Aggressor A to 6400rpm.

fatboy95
08-18-2007, 09:12 AM
The 22' "Hawks" do have the 3/4" problem. (the skiiers are a different boat) Now I'll let you discover another thing you don't know, (and it's right in front of your faces) about the boats pictured. Back in the late 70's I purchased a used mold (built in Ontario Cal) I changed the bottom, bigger strakes and a "one degree delta pad bottom". I had the mold at a glass shop in Burbank Cal. Many people used that same glass shop, as it was well known. I wanted to build a fast family V-drive boat and had a winner with my 20' 6" 'Express cruiser'. We built and sold quite a few, turn key and as kits for the popular "B&M blower smallblock as built by PAW Autoparts". We were busy thru 82/83/84, and then didn't sell any in 1985. "Cole Trickle" please measure your hull at the side back at the transom. The chine, to the 'fold' and then to the molding (cap rail). Please report your findings! Your boat was one of the first Coles of that design, and was in fact a "demo boat" for Cole. The first one like your's is a silver and red/maroon outboard, and is still in service. Now Mr Brianwhiteboy and Mr Fatboy95, please measure your hulls at the side close to the transom. My 20'6" boat is the shorter version and has a flatter fore-deck, the "new and improved 20" SS" is the taller (2 1/2") with a slightly rounded fore-deck. I don't know (???) where Cole got his first few (lower profile style) hulls??? But I do know that he built his own molds for the "new improved design"! (so did HiTech) Cole printed a brochure that had Mr Cole Trickle's boat in it along with some of the new taller design hulls without any reference to the changes. At this point, a Cole is a Cole, and the VIN# gives it it's dollar value. When I was 2 miles from Cole, it wasn't far enough. Today I'm 350 miles from Cole and it's still not far enough. I know a lot of great people worked for Cole and built the boats you now have. Many of them are doing their own thing (boat shops) and some have just faded away. The boats were well built, and should hold good values for a long time. No builder offers the "perfect boat", some come close.
Hey Marty,
My son has his eye on a 98 Nighthawk. I gather from your experience should he be looking for a 20.5 SS? He's hooked on Coles and I can't argue with him. Educate me on the VIN and dollar value. Thanks.

eliminatedsprinter
08-20-2007, 09:54 AM
I smacked my head when I saw your post. The 20.05 was the SS.:) I guess the only one he called the "skier" was the 22.4.

Marty Gras
08-20-2007, 07:17 PM
When you smacked your head. Cole's first "skiier" is the same as Cliff Lott's Caliber 1 skiier, maybe the same "untamed" mold. Yes, the 20' SS is the boat we are talking about. There was a "1" and a new improved "Cole 20'05" SS II" boat. The orange boat has quite a bit more angle, roll in, tuck, to it's side around the steering wheel area, VS what the other boats pictured have in the same area. From the molding down to the chine these boats pictured, are different, because they are from different molds. "fatboy" look at NADA .com for values, but remember the 20'has a wide pad and more V, the 22' has less V in it's bottom. (and the other problems) The 22' has cockpit room and the 20' doesn't. It's up to you as to what you want. Speed or seating.

Cole91
08-21-2007, 02:16 PM
That there is one BAD A$$ cole, hows she running? I'll tell you I just about shed a couple of tears when I saw this:( :D

RiverDave
08-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Some guy was on here saying that those 22 hulls were off by 3/4 inch from keel to strake. What's up with that????
I dunno.. I can say that there's some fast as shit Coles out there.. Just look at J540's boat, as well as the Rushin Roulette boat for sale in the spam section. Both those clip well over 100 mph?
Maybe Mary Gras can tell us, which boat is the Rushin Roulette boat? Which is J540's, is there a difference between the 2? Is this the boat with the supposedly crooked bottom? etc.. I.E. Fill us in on all the details. I read his 1st two posts on the subject but they seemed kinda "vague" in their descriptions?
RD

RiverDave
08-21-2007, 03:00 PM
I dunno.. I can say that there's some fast as shit Coles out there.. Just look at J540's boat, as well as the Rushin Roulette boat for sale in the spam section. Both those clip well over 100 mph?
Maybe Mary Gras can tell us, which boat is the Rushin Roulette boat? Which is J540's, is there a difference between the 2? Is this the boat with the supposedly crooked bottom? etc.. I.E. Fill us in on all the details. I read his 1st two posts on the subject but they seemed kinda "vague" in their descriptions?
RD

fatboy95
08-21-2007, 03:30 PM
When you smacked your head. Cole's first "skiier" is the same as Cliff Lott's Caliber 1 skiier, maybe the same "untamed" mold. Yes, the 20' SS is the boat we are talking about. There was a "1" and a new improved "Cole 20'05" SS II" boat. The orange boat has quite a bit more angle, roll in, tuck, to it's side around the steering wheel area, VS what the other boats pictured have in the same area. From the molding down to the chine these boats pictured, are different, because they are from different molds. "fatboy" look at NADA .com for values, but remember the 20'has a wide pad and more V, the 22' has less V in it's bottom. (and the other problems) The 22' has cockpit room and the 20' doesn't. It's up to you as to what you want. Speed or seating.
Dang,, we want speed and seating in a Cole

HM
08-21-2007, 03:32 PM
RD
I have yet to see Marti Gras get specific in a public post. He has "straightened" me out in a PM tho. :D

RiverDave
08-21-2007, 03:34 PM
RD

brianwhiteboy
08-21-2007, 03:43 PM
That there is one BAD A$$ cole, hows she running? I'll tell you I just about shed a couple of tears when I saw this:( :D
Hey Clinton what's up!
She's running perfect as usual. I can't even tell you how many compliments we've gotten on her. We really couldn't afford to buy it at the time but I knew it would be worth the sacrifice. I would of kicked myself in the a$$ if we would of passed up on this deal. :2purples: