PDA

View Full Version : NorCal Jet Boaters

GAWnCA
08-17-2007, 02:42 PM
I am just testing the waters to see how much interest there would be in starting a group similar to the SoCal Jet Boats group..
Maybe the line would be drawn from Stockton, CA North. :cool:

Old Hawaiian Cruiser
08-17-2007, 02:51 PM
I am at Bass Lake, CA / Fresno area, I am interested.
:D
OHC

GAWnCA
08-17-2007, 02:54 PM
I am at Bass Lake, CA / Fresno area, I am interested.
:D
OHC
Maybe we could call it Big Valley Jet Boaters.

TahitiTiger
08-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Once again no one wants to claim us Central CA folks. We are too far north for So-Cal, and now to far south :cry:
Will you accept any shape of Jet? Mah Tahitae isn't the purdiest.

GAWnCA
08-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Once again no one wants to claim us Central CA folks. We are too far north for So-Cal, and now to far south :cry:
Will you accept any shape of Jet? Mah Tahitae isn't the purdiest.
No one wants to claim us VALLEY folks at all and hell if it weren't for us, they wouldn't have water nor food to eat! I don't claim SoCal or the Bay area! We need a BIG earth quake! :devil:

Cas
08-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Gaw,
It's already in place, www.laidbackboaters.com (http://www.laidbackboaters.com) been going strong since 2001. Many of us will be at Berryessa this weekend for some fun in the sun...come on out and join us, with or without boat.

Cas
08-17-2007, 03:41 PM
as far as the central valley goes, we have lots of people from that neck of the woods joining up with us, especially at the Tower Park deal every year.
Hell, we have people in OR, WA, ID, and NV that come every year. We've also had people from Arizona, Utah and 2 from Kansas join us. Ok, the 2 from Kansas were Duane from Hi-Tech Performance and his wife and they flew out but they were there in 2005 :)

Cas
08-17-2007, 03:52 PM
here's part of our Hot Boat article from a couple of years ago.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/Cas2006/Random%20Pics/page1.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/Cas2006/Random%20Pics/TP3med.jpg

fleetimus
08-17-2007, 04:14 PM
There is also the forums on Banderlog.com

Cas
08-17-2007, 04:19 PM
There is also the forums on Banderlog.com
here's the link to the Banderlog Forums
Banderlog Discussion Forums (http://www.banderlog.com/phpBB2/index.php)
pretty much the same group of people

fleetimus
08-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Why aren't you on the way to Berryessa???? I'm not going, so have fun!!!

Cas
08-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Why aren't you on the way to Berryessa???? I'm not going, so have fun!!!
if we go, it's for a few hours on Sunday....too many things to do around here tomorrow. I also have a bid to give in the morning

GAWnCA
08-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Ok, so where are the bulk of the boaters located?

Old Hawaiian Cruiser
08-17-2007, 04:54 PM
GAW,
I still thnk there could be room for another club for central / No. cal. Just my opinion, I think it might be kind of cool.:D
ohc

GAWnCA
08-17-2007, 04:57 PM
GAW,
I still thnk there could be room for another club for central / No. cal. Just my opinion, I think it might be kind of cool.:D
ohc
As you can tell, I'm in Sacramento, CA and I don't know of anything really close here. I have a hard time going very far. I've got a wife that is disabled and we are taking care of my 94 year old mother who is afraid to be alone for very long. I have a brother and a sister locally who could look after her once in a while.
Greg

fleetimus
08-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Greg,
Give me a call sometime. I will fill you in on the groups.
Tim
530 320-0549

Cas
08-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Greg,
Depending on where in Sac you are, there's probably 15 to 20 people within about 30 miles from you. The rest of us are scattered from Redding to Fresno and the Pacific Ocean to Reno/Sparks.
The "real" get togethers start in May and end in October but there's usually quite a few spur of the moment day trips throughout the year. We also have non boating get togethers such as a Christmas Party, a wine tasting weekend near Jackson, sometimes a snow trip and a couple of other things.
The group is made up of a bunch of great people that are willing to help with just about anything at the drop of a hat.
For example, Fleetimus offered up his shop to give you a hand with your boat awhile back. As I said in that thread, he's got one helluva set-up for working on boats/vehicles up in Colfax.
The outings we have are at New Hogan, Shasta, the Sac River, the Delta, Berryessa, Oroville, Don Pedro and a couple of others now and again.

GAWnCA
08-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Greg,
Depending on where in Sac you are, there's probably 15 to 20 people within about 30 miles from you. The rest of us are scattered from Redding to Fresno and the Pacific Ocean to Reno/Sparks.
The "real" get togethers start in May and end in October but there's usually quite a few spur of the moment day trips throughout the year. We also have non boating get togethers such as a Christmas Party, a wine tasting weekend near Jackson, sometimes a snow trip and a couple of other things.
The group is made up of a bunch of great people that are willing to help with just about anything at the drop of a hat.
For example, Fleetimus offered up his shop to give you a hand with your boat awhile back. As I said in that thread, he's got one helluva set-up for working on boats/vehicles up in Colfax.
The outings we have are at New Hogan, Shasta, the Sac River, the Delta, Berryessa, Oroville, Don Pedro and a couple of others now and again.
Steve,
I'm between Sacramento and Elk Grove. The Sacramento Marina is close as is Garcia Bend. There there's Folsom lake and you know the rest. I'm just getting my feet wet again after being away from boating for some 30+ years. I'm also a member of the CG Auxiliary here in Elk Grove but they don't like my kind of boat or should I say OUR kinds of boats.. :devil:
I'm going to be starting a new business here in a couple of months and that's going to be taking up most all the winter months setting it up and getting out to let people know what I'm doing. I hope to find a shop big enough for the business and also the boat work for a reasonable price.

Cas
08-17-2007, 05:53 PM
one of the things that is real nice about this group, make an outing at your leisure. We all have busy schedules and can't make all the outings, although some people try :)
For me personally, we really only plan on 2 big trips a year and that's Shasta in June and Tower Park in July, everything else is totally up in the air. So far, the previously mentioned outings are the only ones we've made this year but we're really trying to make the Halloroost (halloween and rooster tails) this coming Oct at New Hogan. From what we hear about the lake level though, it might be a boatless outing/camping trip complete with costumes Saturday night.
btw, we very rarely go to Folsom anymore just for the fact it just gets way too choppy for these kinds of boats.

GAWnCA
08-17-2007, 06:40 PM
one of the things that is real nice about this group, make an outing at your leisure. We all have busy schedules and can't make all the outings, although some people try :)
For me personally, we really only plan on 2 big trips a year and that's Shasta in June and Tower Park in July, everything else is totally up in the air. So far, the previously mentioned outings are the only ones we've made this year but we're really trying to make the Halloroost (halloween and rooster tails) this coming Oct at New Hogan. From what we hear about the lake level though, it might be a boatless outing/camping trip complete with costumes Saturday night.
btw, we very rarely go to Folsom anymore just for the fact it just gets way too choppy for these kinds of boats.
Maybe the river is better anyway. Too many people go to Folsom anymore and a friend told me the water level is so low that you have to look for a ramp that gets close to the water. Where is Tower Park and New Hogan?

Cas
08-17-2007, 06:50 PM
Tower Park is about 6 miles west of Hwy 5 in Lodi of Hwy 12 and New Hogan is about 40 miles east of Lodi off of Hwy 12. Not really too far from you at all.
I'm going to pack these wire brackets up, weigh them and I'll let you know the cost of shipping.
Ya see Fleet, I'm working on getting my garage cleaned out! :D

fleetimus
08-17-2007, 06:55 PM
That wouldn't make a pimple on an elephants butt:sqeyes:

Cas
08-17-2007, 06:59 PM
but I sure am finding stuff that I completely forgot I had :rolleyes:
I just found a complete Jacob's ignition set-up, a new set of Accel wires and a box of Holley carb stuff. It was a good thing I remembered where those plug wire brackets were otherwise I would've never found this other crap :)
btw Greg, I'm in Sonoma

GAWnCA
08-17-2007, 07:01 PM
That wouldn't make a pimple on an elephants butt:sqeyes:
Maybe not but it sure will help me get my wiring mess started in the right direction... Now to head over to Napa and buy new wires and a cap. I'm going to have to check into the rotor. Someone put electronic ignition in and the rotor looks strange but then maybe it's me.

GAWnCA
08-17-2007, 07:02 PM
but I sure am finding stuff that I completely forgot I had :rolleyes:
I just found a complete Jacob's ignition set-up, a new set of Accel wires and a box of Holley carb stuff. It was a good thing I remembered where those plug wire brackets were otherwise I would've never found this other crap :)
btw Greg, I'm in Sonoma
Well, let me know and we'll get this transaction going. How's the wine these days?

billet racing 1
08-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Some of this group is a offshoot of the Nor Cal ***boats. Evolved around some. If your in Elk Grove, Tower Park is near by, as well as Wimpies, near Walnut Grove. Just watch the sites here and at Banderlog, where most of the impromtue (sp) outing happen.
Jerry

GAWnCA
08-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Some of this group is a offshoot of the Nor Cal ***boats. Evolved around some. If your in Elk Grove, Tower Park is near by, as well as Wimpies, near Walnut Grove. Just watch the sites here and at Banderlog, where most of the impromtue (sp) outing happen.
Jerry
The Banderlog site is slow of traffic. Are Wimpies and Tower Park on the map?

hiline
08-17-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm interested in this,as I live in El Dorado Hills up the 50 frwy.
Have a Cheyenne tunnel.
Let me know if you guys all get together I'd love to join in one day and say hello.
Thanks,
Tony

Cas
08-17-2007, 08:46 PM
The Laid Back Boaters and Banderlog message boards aren't anywhere near as active as it is here on HB. The difference is most of the members of each are locals that can help a person out and there's always info on 1 or the other, usually both, when the outings are happening.
here's the links again-
Laid Back Boaters Message Board (http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/cas)
Tony,
Just check out the links and join in any time you like. With any and all the outings, it's an open invitation to everyone to join when they are posted. Just attend an outing and introduce yourself, it's real easy.

GAWnCA
08-17-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm interested in this,as I live in El Dorado Hills up the 50 frwy.
Have a Cheyenne tunnel.
Let me know if you guys all get together I'd love to join in one day and say hello.
Thanks,
Tony
I've got to take my boat down and get it wet and I think I'll go to the Sacramento Marina to launch. I haven't had it wet yet and need to see if it's going to be sea worthy. The guy I bought it from said it was but I have found just too many little things that could have turned out to be big problems. For the time being, I think I have all but the wiring ready to really do the job. As long as the wires stay dry, it should be ok.

GAWnCA
08-17-2007, 08:50 PM
The Laid Back Boaters and Banderlog message boards aren't anywhere near as active as it is here on HB. The difference is most of the members of each are locals that can help a person out and there's always info on 1 or the other, usually both, when the outings are happening.
here's the links again-
Laid Back Boaters Message Board (http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/cas)
Well, let's get it active over there. We need more local input.

Cas
08-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Well, let's get it active over there. We need more local input.
it goes in spurts like for some reason, the Laid Back board has gone up in membership by almost 50 in the last few weeks. It's not near what the original board had but it's getting close.
Also, it had 61,000+ hits last month, up from 47K the month before....that's quite a lot for a little semi local deal.
I got your pm, I'll email you once I get the info.

suckin&pumpin
08-17-2007, 09:05 PM
I've got to take my boat down and get it wet and I think I'll go to the Sacramento Marina to launch. I haven't had it wet yet and need to see if it's going to be sea worthy. The guy I bought it from said it was but I have found just too many little things that could have turned out to be big problems. For the time being, I think I have all but the wiring ready to really do the job. As long as the wires stay dry, it should be ok.
head up river in case you have a prob, its easier than paddlin :D :D :D

suckin&pumpin
08-17-2007, 09:09 PM
laid back sounds like somethin i been lookin for dont know many in nor cal but greg if you want to start somethin new like I told you I am in.:D :D :D

GAWnCA
08-17-2007, 09:18 PM
laid back sounds like somethin i been lookin for dont know many in nor cal but greg if you want to start somethin new like I told you I am in.:D :D :D
Check your PM.

Cas
08-17-2007, 09:39 PM
only way to meet people is to come join in. Years ago when I started the LBBA, I asked quite a few people, including wives, what they would want in a club. Just about all of them wanted something where a family could come in and feel comfortable. That's where the Laid Back name came from.
Since Jerry brought up the NorCal Hot Boats, many of the people I spoke with didn't feel comfortable in many of those outings just because there were a lot of high dollar boats. The people with the 60, 65, 70 mph jet boats or project boats felt out of place whether it was on a personal level or that's the way it was, I don't know.

GAWnCA
08-18-2007, 02:55 AM
only way to meet people is to come join in. Years ago when I started the LBBA, I asked quite a few people, including wives, what they would want in a club. Just about all of them wanted something where a family could come in and feel comfortable. That's where the Laid Back name came from.
Since Jerry brought up the NorCal Hot Boats, many of the people I spoke with didn't feel comfortable in many of those outings just because there were a lot of high dollar boats. The people with the 60, 65, 70 mph jet boats or project boats felt out of place whether it was on a personal level or that's the way it was, I don't know.
Maybe it's better to not become some formal club type of thing and just plan get-togethers. And make it a "bring what you own" thing. Some families like to get out and have fun with a group and they drive tri-hulls and some have jet boats, and others have i/o's. Just some grown ups out to have a good time and not have to get drunk just 'cause they have a boat on the water. California is really cracking down on drinking and boating, as they should. Just look at the crap that goes on here on the American River.

v-drive
08-18-2007, 05:40 AM
We just spent the last week at Don Pedro. we saw nothing but wakeboard boats. we have an eliminator jet and my daughter has an old laveycraft
v-drive. Nice lake juust a little outnumbered...v-drive

GAWnCA
08-18-2007, 06:23 AM
We just spent the last week at Don Pedro. we saw nothing but wakeboard boats. we have an eliminator jet and my daughter has an old laveycraft
v-drive. Nice lake juust a little outnumbered...v-drive
I see a lot of those up for sale around here. Most are sitting in front of new homes. I wonder if the financing they played with to get into these new homes isn't starting to take it's toll on folks. They had the monthly income to buy big Sangers, Ski Natiques(sp), etc because they were home owners with a small monthly house payment. Went out and got nuts buying a $40K boat and financing it for 15 years. This isn't to mention the gas they burn at $3.00 a gallon.
Some of those jerks are just that. They have to show off no matter who they put in danger. They should all have to revert back to jet-skis with training wheels.

Cas
08-18-2007, 06:45 AM
you're right v-drive. Back in the late 70's early 80's, Folsom and Don Pedro were my favorite waters to go to just behind the Delta. On the weekends, there weren't but a few other boats out there and we'd get a lot of excellent water for waterskiing. The thing about back then, no jetskis, very few big ass boats and definitely no wake board boats putting out huge waves.
Here's a picture of Folsom on a Sunday late morning, 1979 or so-
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3870fols2-med.jpg
I took this picture because the water was so smooth but the picture didn't come out looking as smooth as it was.
Greg,
I'm thinking you're spot on about all those boats for sale except I think they're up in the $60k range.

Cas
08-18-2007, 06:54 AM
and here's 1 from Don Pedro, not sure what year it is-
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/Cas2006/Random%20Pics/jetroost.jpg

jetboatperformance
08-18-2007, 07:08 AM
HMMMM??:idea: :idea: Tom

Cas
08-18-2007, 07:18 AM
HMMMM??:idea: :idea: Tom
you ought to do it! You can probably add the proper coverage to your business insurance to cover the liability issues.

jetboatperformance
08-18-2007, 07:23 AM
Right in my "spare time" lol :) Tom

v-drive
08-18-2007, 07:24 AM
nice pictures, really only had one day of windy weather but still had alot of fun. The v-drive is my daughters familys first real boating experiance. They were in awe of how much fun they were having. Rob is a motor head so he really got into the restoration of the boat our son (Brendellajet) helped out with all of his experiance and brought it all together. I will try to post pics soon. are there any hotels close to the lake?...v-drive

Cas
08-18-2007, 07:33 AM
c'mon, it only takes a couple hundred hours a year and that's if you don't organize any of the outings :D I'm sure roostwear and flatbroke can add some input also.
v-drive,
The closest hotels I can think of are in Oakdale, 40 minutes or so from the lake. Or maybe in Georgetown but can't say for sure on that.

GAWnCA
08-18-2007, 07:38 AM
Greg,
I'm thinking you're spot on about all those boats for sale except I think they're up in the $60k range.
Yeah but if you check craigslist.org you see folks just trying to get rid of them in the range of $30K - $40K, some in the mid to upper $20sK. I'm glad I got mine for $2,500.00 and I can put money in it and still come out of it with what I spend.
I remember when we use to have races on Lake Natoma.... water was like glass even after racing it would calm down to just ripples within 30 minutes or so.

GAWnCA
08-18-2007, 07:39 AM
Tom, you own a business and have spare time? My wife keeps telling me I'll be working 24/7 when I start my new business and won't have time for a BOAT! :sqeyes:

Cas
08-18-2007, 07:43 AM
the good ole days!
here's another from Folsom back in 79 on a Saturday, notice no boats in the background
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/Cas2006/fols1.jpg

jetboatperformance
08-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Tom, you own a business and have spare time? My wife keeps telling me I'll be working 24/7 when I start my new business and won't have time for a BOAT! :sqeyes:
Yeah Greg Self employment is Bliss ! We work 2 businesses 12 hrs a day 6 days a week got about an extra hour a day + Sundays :) Tom

GAWnCA
08-18-2007, 08:02 AM
Yeah Greg Self employment is Bliss ! We work 2 businesses 12 hrs a day 6 days a week got about an extra hour a day + Sundays :) Tom
TWO businesses??? :eek: You are a glutton for punishment! We'll talk about that later! :D

GAWnCA
08-18-2007, 08:03 AM
the good ole days!
here's another from Folsom back in 79 on a Saturday, notice no boats in the background
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/Cas2006/fols1.jpg
Water was low that year too!!! Oh for the GOOD-OLD-DAYS!!

jetboatperformance
08-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Got to work hard to buy toys ! Tom
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/Eliminator%20V-drive/DSC06630.jpg

GAWnCA
08-18-2007, 08:20 AM
Got to work hard to buy toys ! Tom
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/Eliminator%20V-drive/DSC06630.jpg
You a Cheby Mon? :D

jetboatperformance
08-18-2007, 08:31 AM
To a certain degree but were not "picky"
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/josh/DSCF0243.jpg

GAWnCA
08-18-2007, 08:52 AM
To a certain degree but were not "picky"
Cool, Where can I get plug wires like those? :)

GAWnCA
08-18-2007, 08:57 AM
While I have you seasoned Wizards on the line. Can anyone tell me what this ignition system is? I can't find any sort of mfg. or numbers anywhere. Is it any good for use in a boat? I do know the bracket that hold it up in place sure seems flimsey.
http://home.comcast.net/~gregaw/ignition_system.jpg
I posted this over on the Wiring from Scratch thread but didn't get an answer. I hate those yellow wires and that faded red rotor cap. Blue is going to be the final color of everything once the rebuild is completed. Next year?
Thanks,
Greg

Cas
08-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Those are Taylor plug wires, Summit carries them for about $65.00 a set for the Spiro Core. I've been running the Taylor's for a few years now without any kind of issues, probably the best wires I've used.

Cas
08-18-2007, 09:06 AM
While I have you seasoned Wizards on the line. Can anyone tell me what this ignition system is? I can't find any sort of mfg. or numbers anywhere. Is it any good for use in a boat? I do know the bracket that hold it up in place sure seems flimsey.
http://home.comcast.net/~gregaw/ignition_system.jpg
I posted this over on the Wiring from Scratch thread but didn't get an answer. I hate those yellow wires and that faded red rotor cap. Blue is going to be the final color of everything once the rebuild is completed. Next year?
Thanks,
Greg
the coil appears to be an Accel Super Coil although Accel is usually yellow and not orange.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/eccStoreFront/product_images/100/105-140001_R.jpg
The distributor looks to be a Mallory dual point body.
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/maa-2555101_w.jpg
Has it been converted to electronics?
And yes, it can work good in a boat.

GAWnCA
08-18-2007, 09:18 AM
the coil appears to be an Accel Super Coil although Accel is usually yellow and not orange.
The distributor looks to be a Mallory dual point body.
Has it been converted to electronics?
And yes, it can work good in a boat.
It does have the electronics installed on the Dist. Can I get a blue cap for it? I found some blue plug wires at Summit 8.2 mm for $62.00. I thought the Coil looked like Accel but wasn't sure. Thanks,

Cas
08-18-2007, 09:28 AM
It does have the electronics installed on the Dist. Can I get a blue cap for it? I found some blue plug wires at Summit 8.2 mm for $62.00. I thought the Coil looked like Accel but wasn't sure. Thanks,
Taylor's come in a few different colors and yes, you can get a blue cap for the Mallory distributors, I have one on mine.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/Cas2006/84%20Bahner/017_17.jpg
Personally, I went with the yellow Taylor wires just to give some contrast.

GAWnCA
08-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Taylor's come in a few different colors and yes, you can get a blue cap for the Mallory distributors, I have one on mine.
Personally, I went with the yellow Taylor wires just to give some contrast.
Well, My wife wants everything in Blue, red, and/or white... So to keep her happy and me allowed to work on the boat as I want to... Well, you know the story. ;)

jetboatperformance
08-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Greg check your wiring thread and the plug wires are Taylor 409s (Summit Jegs etc) Tom

GAWnCA
08-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Greg check your wiring thread and the plug wires are Taylor 409s (Summit Jegs etc) Tom
Got it. Thanks.