PDA

View Full Version : Registering a boat in CA...

Zaairman
08-17-2007, 10:31 PM
In order to reach my goal of getting to California ASAP, I've discovered that I can get residency if I were to register my boat and stuff at my aunts address... So, how hard is it to transfer the titles of my boat, trailer and motor to California? Am I going to have to pay some retarded high taxes on it or just the normal BS dmv fees? Also, do trailers in CA need to pass an inspection? I'd rather not have to drag that sucker out there just to pay some guy to look at it and give me a sticker or something... It will be registered in Huntington Beach.

DMOORE
08-17-2007, 11:41 PM
You will have to prove that you already paid sales tax on the boat. After that you will pay the title transfer fee and registration. Registration is cheap,
$20.oo dollars a year and i believe the transfer is something like $45.00 or something.

BajaMike
08-18-2007, 01:46 AM
There was no inspection on the trailer on my new boat and trailer I bought in Arizona a few years ago, but the gal did have to actually look at the VIN number on the trailer........:idea:

TheCarDudes
08-18-2007, 05:31 AM
A vin verification has to be done on at least the trailer, possibly the boat also. Vin verifications can be done by a third party also. If you know someone who "knows someone", his can be done where the boat and trailer currently are.

'75 Miller
08-18-2007, 06:17 AM
In order to reach my goal of getting to California ASAP, I've discovered that I can get residency if I were to register my boat and stuff at my aunts address... So, how hard is it to transfer the titles of my boat, trailer and motor to California? Am I going to have to pay some retarded high taxes on it or just the normal BS dmv fees? Also, do trailers in CA need to pass an inspection? I'd rather not have to drag that sucker out there just to pay some guy to look at it and give me a sticker or something... It will be registered in Huntington Beach.
California is all full...try back later.

boat boy
08-18-2007, 06:42 AM
One problem you might have (if thats your boat) is the older outboard in some of the local lakes. They will only accept certain two stroke models and all four stroke.

ahhell
08-18-2007, 06:53 AM
And I believe you will be assessed real property tax:mad:
glad I left California:D
http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/assessor/business_property/2006BoatOwnersPropertyTaxInfo.pdf

Dribble
08-18-2007, 07:12 AM
And I believe you will be assessed real property tax:mad:
glad I left California:D
http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/assessor/business_property/2006BoatOwnersPropertyTaxInfo.pdf
You will be assesed a personal property tax by the county which the boat is housed. You don't pay that to DMV you will get a notice from the county later. It is about 1% of the estimated value of the boat less the trailer. The boat in your signature will run about $35.00 a year.

Zaairman
08-18-2007, 09:45 PM
A vin verification has to be done on at least the trailer, possibly the boat also. Vin verifications can be done by a third party also. If you know someone who "knows someone", his can be done where the boat and trailer currently are.
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit... The vin on my trailer is kinda worn off. Stupid cheap stickers... And yes that is my boat in my sig... Not too worried about the lake restriction things...

ahhell
08-19-2007, 06:07 AM
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit... The vin on my trailer is kinda worn off. Stupid cheap stickers... And yes that is my boat in my sig... Not too worried about the lake restriction things...
I had mine reg. in Az last week and the sticker was a blank spot also, had to go to a level 2 inspection...the officer crawled all around the botton of the trailer and found the vin welded on one of the cross members...take a look and maybe get lucky:D

Dribble
08-19-2007, 08:37 AM
'In order to reach my goal of getting to California ASAP,'
If this is your main goal in life, YOU are one sad mofo. I don't know if it works state to state but if ya crawl on yer belly like a lizard across the US border then ya don't have to worry about registering anything and can use your welfare voucher to pay for your boat chit.
Rio
Huh :confused:

MBlaster
08-19-2007, 08:46 AM
WTF?
Most people want to get the hell outa here.

Classic Daycruiser
08-19-2007, 09:10 AM
WTF?
Living the California dream......

RitcheyRch
08-19-2007, 10:29 AM
So true. One more year and I am gone like the wind. :D
WTF?

Zaairman
08-20-2007, 05:52 AM
If this is your main goal in life, YOU are one sad mofo. I don't know if it works state to state but if ya crawl on yer belly like a lizard across the US border then ya don't have to worry about registering anything and can use your welfare voucher to pay for your boat chit.
Rio
Blow me. :D My goal in life is to be with my family. Guess where they're all at? :idea:

uLtRADeNniS
08-20-2007, 06:06 AM
Sticker?? Every trailer I ever owned had the VIN Stamped on or a plate welded on.. try looking for it on your boat trailer.. I would say your best bet would be to call the dmv or AAA (if you have it) and ask them the fees you need to pay.