PDA

View Full Version : 496 HO question

Chubby4Life
08-18-2007, 07:04 PM
I threw a serpintine belt today and have concerns about timing. Will the engine be out of time since it continued to run when the belt came off? Also, the alarm went off indicating high temp. Did I also grenade the the impelller and/or housing?
On a good note though, I was towed in by a DCB, so I guess their not all non-waving, tailgaters.:D
Chris
BTW, F-Tahoe in the afternoon!

OverKill
08-18-2007, 07:11 PM
I threw a serpintine belt today and have concerns about timing. Will the engine be out of time since it continued to run when the belt came off? Also, the alarm went off indicating high temp. Did I also grenade the the impelller and/or housing?
On a good note though, I was towed in by a DCB, so I guess their not all non-waving, tailgaters.:D
Chris
No you did not put the motor out of timing. Timing is all gear realted. As far as the high temp indicated, I'm guessing you have a closed loop system. If so the only thing you did was stop pumping water, witch would give the high temp alarm. If if were me, I would replace the belt, put it back in the water and let it idle for a few minutes and read all my gauges. Of thats where I would start anyway.
OverKill

Chubby4Life
08-18-2007, 07:19 PM
No you did not put the motor out of timing. Timing is all gear realted. As far as the high temp indicated, I'm guessing you have a closed loop system. If so the only thing you did was stop pumping water, witch would give the high temp alarm. If if were me, I would replace the belt, put it back in the water and let it idle for a few minutes and read all my gauges. Of thats where I would start anyway.
OverKill
Thanks for the info. The belt looks fine (no cracking, no visible streching) it looks like the tension bolt jumped out of the hole it sits in. Could've fixed it on the water but every time I was close to having it back on a 5' roller would F me up.

Beer-30
08-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Chris
Wow.
No, the timing is all internal. Accessories (H2O pumps, PS pump, alternator) are not timed. Put the new belt on and the motor won't know the difference. The major concern would be in the form of a question - why did the belt come off?
The impeller doesn't care in the sea-pump. The high temp from no water could have cause problems if you went a long distance, but probably not.

08-18-2007, 07:30 PM
If just the belt came off i still replace the impeller if you
havent this year

Chubby4Life
08-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Wow.
No, the timing is all internal. Accessories (H2O pumps, PS pump, alternator) are not timed. Put the new belt on and the motor won't know the difference. The major concern would be in the form of a question - why did the belt come off?
The impeller doesn't care in the sea-pump. The high temp from no water could have cause problems if you went a long distance, but probably not.
Thats a very good question. I have no idea, we were going "with" the swells, but the boat was rolling back and forth pretty good. Unless the tensioner was already loose, I can't see how the belt would jump. I'll follow the advice given and hunt down a new belt in the morning.

Chubby4Life
08-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Also, we were only traveling about 15 mph, I felt the steering tighten up and put it in neutral to check it out when the high temp. alarm went off.

Beer-30
08-18-2007, 07:52 PM
The other reason a serp belt would dismount is a frozen accessory. Check both pumps, the alternator and the idler(s) for free movement. If they spin, they are ok. If they don't, that is your cause.
You should have had an alarm about one of those not doing their job, though.
The system is manually tensioned, not spring loaded. It is possible that the belt just finally stretched enough to jump off.

Chubby4Life
08-18-2007, 08:14 PM
The other reason a serp belt would dismount is a frozen accessory. Check both pumps, the alternator and the idler(s) for free movement. If they spin, they are ok. If they don't, that is your cause.
The system is manually tensioned, not spring loaded. It is possible that the belt just finally stretched enough to jump off.
Well, I went out and checked the pulleys. All spin freely except for the pump on the lower starboard side. this is the impeller pump right?

LHC30Victory
08-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Well, I went out and checked the pulleys. All spin freely except for the pump on the lower starboard side. this is the impeller pump right?
Yes, that is the seawater pump. It wont turn by hand all that easily as you are trying to compress the rubber vanes in the pump....Put the belt back on, check for proper tension and watch all the pulleys to see if they are turning and if they are still in line with each other....

blown65
08-18-2007, 08:35 PM
One of the HO's in our Daytona did the same thing. They didnt tighten the idler pulley and the bolt backed out and threw the belt on ours also.
The second engine was just fine, quick fix and back on our way. Sounds like that was your issue also. (This happened when we had about 12hrs on the boat)

Chubby4Life
08-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Yes, that is the seawater pump. It wont turn by hand all that easily as you are trying to compress the rubber vanes in the pump....Put the belt back on, check for proper tension and watch all the pulleys to see if they are turning and if they are still in line with each other....
Thats great news. I really didn't want to drop 6 bills on a new impelller and housing. I had to grip it pretty hard to get it to spin. The tensioner stud is located on the alternator bracket right? If this is it, it's turned in about 75% so I guess the belt has seen it's best days already.

OverKill
08-18-2007, 09:08 PM
Thats great news. I really didn't want to drop 6 bills on a new impelller and housing. I had to grip it pretty hard to get it to spin. The tensioner stud is located on the alternator bracket right? If this is it, it's turned in about 75% so I guess the belt has seen it's best days already.
That is correct the belt is pretty much gone. How many seasons do you have on it. It would also explain your tight steering. I'm guessing you have power steering right? You should have the new belt on pretty snug with only a couple of turns with the tensioner. You should be back on the water in no time at all.

franky
08-19-2007, 07:39 AM
I believe 04 and earlier adjusted the belt tension with the alternator. Later years had a spring loaded tensioner on the upper idler pulley.