PDA

View Full Version : Big Water Leak.

R/C-PILOT
08-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Just got done 2 days ago,putting the 35deg. snails back onto boat, after I polished them and the logs. Installed the Banderlog diverter relay, Place diverter, rudder, upgraded SE ramp loader, new inner tip flappers and rebuilt the Holley carb. Couldn't wait to test it out. My son and I trailered it about a hour away, to meet up with some friends that would running up river about forty miles from us. It had been raining off and on last couple hours, so we thought we would wait it out. After waiting for about a hour and a half, we went for it. Sky's were still grey, but looked like they were getting lighter, in direction we were going. Man, I pumped the peddle a couple times and she fired up. Dialed base idle in and off we went. Man this is cool, wow, what a difference! We hauled ass down river to Peoria (IL) to meet up with the friends on their way back up river. About 1/2 way down, we came across a 40ft cruiser, that had HUGE wake off the rear. Slowed the boat up abit and adjusted bow up and went thru. Caught a little air crossing that one. Other than the cruiser, the water was like glass, really nice. About 3 miles further down river, the son says we're taking on water on the starboard side of the engine. Says it's coming out from were the starter would be. I didn't get up and look, but I could see it spraying a good amount. Thought we would turn around and haul ass back before anything got worse. Naturally, it started to rain, then the sky fell in. Holy shiatt, couldn't see 25 yards ahead. After about 45min in it, we got back to the ramp in Spring Valley IL. it was still down pouring. When I got it back on the trailer, there was a LOT of water in it. Is it possible I could have blown a freeze plug from the back of the small block Chevy? Could the ramp loader have caused a freeze plug to pop? There isn't a regulating valve on the cooling lines. Sorry to be so long, I'm soaked, BORED (cooped up, watching it still rain) and pissed.
After it all, my 11 year old son says: "Man, that was soo cool, that boat is awesome! Thanks dad"
Thats what its all about.

OverKill
08-19-2007, 01:45 PM
It seems to me it could be one of 2 things.
1) yes maybe a freeze plug fell out and that will bring on water faster than you know what.
2) What really caught my eye is, when you cought air off that wake than came down then noticed the leak. That could mean you blew a bowl gasket. How that happens is the pump is still loaded with pressure then slaming all that weight can blow a bowl gasket.
Best way to describe it is take a drinking straw and a patato, put your point fingure over one end of the straw, and slam the straw to the patato, and it will go right through. All because of pressure.
Also if you don't have one already, get one. A flexable mirror, it's a great tool to use to see if you did blow a freeze plug, and other things you can't see.
OverKill

R/C-PILOT
08-19-2007, 02:06 PM
My son told me that, he did notice that when I trimmed the bow up , the water seemed to stop coming out of the side of the engine, and did come out with the bow down.. I did throttle down when we launched and didn't throttle back up till after we were in the water a second or so. Could I see the "bowl gasket" looking thru the loader, blown or intact? It's a 12JE pump. Is a bowl gasket hard to change on a 12JE?

sanger rat
08-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Your leak could be anywhere. The fkywheel is kicking to water up to the pass. side making you think it's comming from there.

IMPATIENT 1
08-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Your leak could be anywhere. The fkywheel is kicking to water up to the pass. side making you think it's comming from there.
i agree, ya need to take it to the ramp full of gas, back it down till its afloat and really inspect everything for leaks. could be a list of things, its not something you can just guess at.if no major leaks are found, start it up and run it for a bit. something will show up.

OverKill
08-19-2007, 03:05 PM
You can see the gasket if you have a set back pump. Here is picture of mine it is a 12jb. You can see the gasket in between the bowl and the intake. Take a look and tell me if you can see what I'm talking about.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/0041.JPG

R/C-PILOT
08-19-2007, 03:16 PM
That's a good Idea, I will take it to the ramp as soon as it stops raining. Just seems weird, that the 1st time its been run after the changes, that this happens. Didn't leak prior to the changes. Unfortunately we didn't notice a leak prior to the jump. If it is a blown bowl gasket, how is water able to enter the boat? I've seen the exploded view on the Berkley site. Overkill, I do see the gasket between, but I don't understand how that allows water in the boat.

BRAWNY
08-19-2007, 04:49 PM
have you checked your water lines for any cracks/splits?
did you check tomake sure water lines are still connected?
let us know what you find. BRAWNY

BRAWNY
08-19-2007, 04:51 PM
can you hook the water hose to it,just turn the water on (without starting)
and see if you can find your leak.good luck.BRAWNY

cave
08-19-2007, 04:53 PM
i agree, ya need to take it to the ramp full of gas, back it down till its afloat and really inspect everything for leaks. could be a list of things, its not something you can just guess at.if no major leaks are found, start it up and run it for a bit. something will show up.
This is what I would do. It may be the connections for the snails that are leaking or the gaskets that connect all those items together. They may have been jared loose. Or a small leak from your inlet side of the cooling system.
My bowl gasket sits right on the edge of a perfect seal and i hit rough water all the time and have yet to pop the seal. But you never know. Check it on the trailer.

roostwear
08-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Since you have an E pump, your bowl is outside the hull and the gasket wouldn't cause the water inside. What WILL cause it is the bellows for the control cables on the starboard side, and will leak badly off plane. Other than that, there's the packing,housing bolts in the insert, or loader nolts that can cause a leak.

ck7684
08-20-2007, 04:58 AM
I'd hook it up to a hose and run water through without starting the engine. This would tell you if there is a leak in the cooling system somewhere...

R/C-PILOT
08-20-2007, 05:36 AM
Goodmorning all, 8:30 am here Monday morning. Still on the houseboat waiting for it to stop raining. The water here in the marina harbor is up 6 inches. Enough is enough, time to end this vacation. If it would just break for an hour. I've been thinking about the leak all night, it has to be something easy. I haven't seen this much rain in a long time. The wife, what a trouper, she went out in the rain last night and snapped the cockpit cover on it. Well, time to start packing up. I'll put the hose on it at home and see what happens.

speedymopars
08-20-2007, 07:08 PM
I had the same symptoms that you did - mine turned out to be one of the quick connects from the jet to the engine water intake was leaking. The flywheel was kicking it to the starboard side anytime I got on it. My bulge pump had a bunch of crap in it keeping it from turning on.
One hose clamp tightened and a lake elsinore flyer removed later, the bilge pump works great, though it doesn't have to pump anything anymore....Just something to check...

R/C-PILOT
08-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Well it stopped raining today, so I shop vac'd the rest of the water out of the hull. Hooked the hose up to it and watched, no leaks. So I started the process of elimination, checked the studs for the snails at the logs, for any signs of leaks, all nuts/bolts tight. Found 1 large hose clamp on exhaust hose broke, but still tight. Checked the bolts for the ramp loader, found one loose. Ended up buying some new longer 5/16 bolts instead of the short ones purchased with the loader. Pulled the loader out, and found the silicone just about gone. I looked at the tube that I used, turned out it was white caulk with silicone. I stripped all that was left, out, and used a new tube of clear silicone. Siliconed the holes, the bottom of the loader and the top plate. I put new locknuts & washers on the new 5/16 screws. The used the 3/8 impact to draw them tight. With out a dout , this had to be the problem. The flywheel was spitting water to the starboard side when the bow was high and water filled in the rear. Is their a special silicone/sealant thats used on a jet? Thanks to all for the feedback.