PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a pontoon?

djunkie
08-20-2007, 11:37 AM
So I've been sitting back and watching a lot of people selling their performance boats to get pontoons. It seems the price of these toons are getting up there also. Anyone else think that a couple years form now this, IMO "fad", will blow over and there may be some good deals on used toons? :idea: :D :D

DILLIGAF
08-20-2007, 11:38 AM
It all runs in cycles but after seeing Shadows this weekend I have to say...It doesn't look like a bad way to go :)

Ziggy
08-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Rather Rhino-like in the context of "Fad":D , Toons have been around quite a while so I don't think they fall into the Fad catagory.

Biglue
08-20-2007, 11:41 AM
It all runs in cycles but after seeing Shadows this weekend I have to say...It doesn't look like a bad way to go :)
I agree. That thing seemed way too comfortable.

DILLIGAF
08-20-2007, 11:42 AM
I agree. That thing seemed way too comfortable.
Nice seeing you out there in Havazoo.....One of my friends sat in the recliner up front and I didn't think he was ever going to get out of it....lol

Biglue
08-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Nice seeing you out there in Havazoo.....One of my friends sat in the recliner up front and I didn't think he was ever going to get out of it....lol
Likewise. I walked around that thing and it had everything you could need on it. Better access than most boats in fact.

djunkie
08-20-2007, 11:45 AM
I agree. There are very nice and I really wouldn't mind getting one as a second boat.......:D :D

Riveratz
08-20-2007, 11:48 AM
We love ours and they are great for just about anything.

Ziggy
08-20-2007, 11:50 AM
I agree. There are very nice and I really wouldn't mind getting one as a second boat.......:D :D
Precisely what I said to the wife this weekend on the drive home....no worries about dinging the gel. :D:D

DILLIGAF
08-20-2007, 11:51 AM
That would be my choice also. I would have another jet boat for some "need for speed" runs" down the river from time to time.

djunkie
08-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Precisely what I said to the wife this weekend on the drive home....no worries about dinging the gel. :D:D
I love my boat. Its not the fastest or the biggest but it does everything I need to do. The only complaint I have with it is I can't fit more then 4 people on it comfortably. And even then its tight. That why I wouldn't mind a pontoon for those days when you just wanna cruise around with 5 or 6 people onboard. But I just couldn't see myself giving up my "performance" boat for it. :idea: :D :D

dicudmore
08-20-2007, 12:03 PM
I love my boat. Its not the fastest or the biggest but it does everything I need to do. The only complaint I have with it is I can't fit more then 4 people on it comfortably. And even then its tight. That why I wouldn't mind a pontoon for those days when you just wanna cruise around with 5 or 6 people onboard. But I just couldn't see myself giving up my "performance" boat for it. :idea: :D :D
exactly my thoughts...I'd have no problem owning another toon--but I guarandamtee ya it won't be a 50K tri-toon, it'll be a beater with a two-stroke marg mixer motor.

djunkie
08-20-2007, 12:05 PM
exactly my thoughts...I'd have no problem owning another toon--but I guarandamtee ya it won't be a 50K tri-toon, it'll be a beater with a two-stroke marg mixer motor.
I was thinking along the same lines but I think for havasu a tri toon would be a must just because it does get a little rougher out there than most lakes. :D

Wet Dream
08-20-2007, 12:07 PM
So I've been sitting back and watching a lot of people selling their performance boats to get pontoons. It seems the price of these toons are getting up there also. Anyone else think that a couple years form now this, IMO "fad", will blow over and there may be some good deals on used toons? :idea: :D :D
You mean something similar to the rhino frenzy? I do like the toon idea, but I'm not selling my jet to replace it with a toon, i'll buy a toon to add to the stable.

djunkie
08-20-2007, 12:10 PM
You mean something similar to the rhino frenzy? I do like the toon idea, but I'm not selling my jet to replace it with a toon, i'll buy a toon to add to the stable.
Who cares? When I find something I'd rather have I'll dump the Rhino and go get it too.

pw_Tony
08-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Pontoon? No way jose. You'll probably get tired of going to slow. Why not a deck boat? Much faster with pretty much the same amount of room. And a lot more fun

Keith E. Sayre
08-20-2007, 12:17 PM
I usually try to stay away from these threads because I usually get flamed by someone who thinks I'm still trying to sell a boat here but what the heck.
I have several friends who have purchased tri toon style pontoon boats. Most have done so for financial reasons and to them I say, glad to see you're still out on the lake with us and welcome. Oh and how about I use your
shade and eat some of your bbq!! But, I still see a couple of them start
getting nervous when the sound of a big blower motor goes idling by. I can
tell that they truly miss that thrill of performance boating and I would too.
that's because they're true "hot boaters". They'd be out here in a dinghy
if that was the only way to get here.
For the partiers that are not here for the boating but simply use their boat
to get to the party, a pontoon boat is perfect. They can go straight to their
party spot, start partying and never move all day. That would drive me nuts.
But for the "non ***boaters" out there, a pontoon seems perfect.
To people considering the change, I'd ask myself, this: am I a "***boater"
who gets chills making a pass by Foxes or starts salivating about a ride in
a flattie on a Tuesday morning when the water is glass or loves getting in
all the chopped up mess at the start of a poker run???? If the answer is
yes to any of there, don't even consider a pontoon boat, it won't work for you. If the answer is NO to all of them, a pontoon boat is sure comfy.
That's how I see it.
Keith Sayre

Hardly Satisfied
08-20-2007, 12:18 PM
One thing for sure is it's a lot nicer to spend Fifty to Sixty thousand than one hundred thousand plus on a boat.

phebus
08-20-2007, 12:25 PM
On the contrary, I think the steam has run out on the performance boat craze.
Both type of boats have their place, but with costs, crowds, insurance, fuel etc., the (performance) pontoon boats just make sense. They are no longer slow boats. In the performance realm they are slow, but in reality getting from point A to point B at 40mph + isn't bad on a crowded lake. Plus, the majority of most peoples boating day is spent sitting somewhere (especially with the cost of fuel), and you can't find a better boat for relaxing, so pontoons just make sense for a lot of people.
My goal is to get a little lake hotrod for the smooth uncrowded days on the lake, but now that I have gotten over the ego needs of a performance boat and seen the benefits of a pontoon, I don't see myself getting rid of it.

pw_Tony
08-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Both type of boats have their place, but with costs, crowds, insurance, fuel etc., the (performance) pontoon boats just make sense. They are no longer slow boats. In the performance realm they are slow, but in reality getting from point A to point B at 40mph + isn't bad on a crowded lake. Plus, the majority of most peoples boating day is spent sitting somewhere (especially with the cost of fuel), and you can't find a better boat for relaxing, so pontoons just make sense for a lot of people.
My goal is to get a little lake hotrod for the smooth uncrowded days on the lake, but now that I have gotten over the ego needs of a performance boat and seen the benefits of a pontoon, I don't see myself getting rid of it.
But it depends if you are talking about a pontoon or a Tritoon. A tritoon would suit that speed but for a normal 2 pontoon boat would be no where near

phebus
08-20-2007, 12:31 PM
I am talking about three tube billet boats. :D

djunkie
08-20-2007, 12:33 PM
"Performance pontoon"? Have you started drinking already Phebus? Just admit your getting old and can't handle the loud/fast boats anymore. :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

djunkie
08-20-2007, 12:34 PM
But it depends if you are talking about a pontoon or a Tritoon. A tritoon would suit that speed but for a normal 2 pontoon boat would be no where near
Unfortunately though, those fancy 3 toon "performance" boats aren't very cheap. :jawdrop: :D :D

OGShocker
08-20-2007, 12:35 PM
I usually try to stay away from these threads because I usually get flamed by someone who thinks I'm still trying to sell a boat here but what the heck.....
Keith Sayre
I can't figure out why a salesman would try and sell something.
Nice post, Keith.

MR HARLEY
08-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Got a great group of friends that own pontoons (Phebus and Shebus, Todd and Dana and Darryl and Theresa), they all seem to love them as do I when they let me hang out on them. :D

dicudmore
08-20-2007, 12:37 PM
I was thinking along the same lines but I think for havasu a tri toon would be a must just because it does get a little rougher out there than most lakes. :D
two-log boats do fine in Havi...the Sun Tracker that I had (mohave vice has it now) has been over every inch of lake mead, mohave and havasu, oh and nacimiento too--ride never an issue. Think I got splashed ONCE in rough water, the deck just flexes a bit and soaks it right up :D I can't even tell ya how many dam runs, springs trips, topock, sandbar trips etc I did in it, but it was a lot :cool:

pw_Tony
08-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Also as I have seen from growing up around many friends with boats I've always noticed one thing, the older they would get the bigger, and slower boats they would get. I guess theres an age you just start relizing going fast and having adrenaline pumping just isn't worth it anymore?

djunkie
08-20-2007, 12:39 PM
two-log boats do fine in Havi...the Sun Tracker that I had (mohave vice has it now) has been over every inch of lake mead, mohave and havasu, oh and nacimiento too--ride never an issue. Think I got splashed ONCE in rough water, the deck just flexes a bit and soaks it right up :D I can't even tell ya how many dam runs, springs trips, topock, sandbar trips etc I did in it, but it was a lot :cool:
But did it "perform"? :jawdrop: Sorry Phebus. LOL!!!!!!!:D :D

phebus
08-20-2007, 12:39 PM
O.K., the real reason I have a Tritoon is because it is a slow stable ride, and I don't have to worry about my balls getting knocked out of my wife's purse. :D

djunkie
08-20-2007, 12:41 PM
O.K., the real reason I have a Tritoon is because it is a slow stable ride, and I don't have to worry about my balls getting knocked out of my wife's purse. :D
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

dicudmore
08-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Phebus <----post of the year candidate right there :D

dicudmore
08-20-2007, 12:45 PM
But did it "perform"? :jawdrop: Sorry Phebus. LOL!!!!!!!:D :D
got some video tape from that boat around here somewhere...memorial naci 03 I think girls gone wild was filming on the deck of it, so yes, yes it did "perform" :D
If memory serves it ran 18 MPH with an 11 pitch 3-blade at ~5500 with a 4-stroke 60 EFI motor. With a 20 gallon fuel tank I would put fuel in it about every 4th weekend, unless it was run "hard" all weekend.

Troubles No More
08-20-2007, 12:46 PM
I look at Southbay at the boat show and I think they were very nice, see write up below.
http://www.goboatingamerica.com/boat...le.asp?id=3942
South Bay Pontoon, Top Speed 88 MPH!!!
.................................................. .................................................. ..........
Nice and Fast
Speed meets opulence on the new South Bay Luxury Performance 925 CTT IO
Go Boating Test Team
We’ve seen shiny exhaust pipes hinting at wicked horsepower poking out the stern of a pontoon boat before, but never before on a production model craft that’s available to all of us.
The brand-new South Bay 925 CTT IO Luxury Performance Series comes to us from Indiana-based Forest River Marine, which is the manufacturer of the popular Odyssey line of pontoon boats. The 925 CTT IO can be considered a step up in just about every direction.
The first talking point about the 925 CTT IO is that it is reported to have the world speed record for a single-engine pontoon at 60 mph.
This comes from the same company that is said to have the world speed record for a twin-engine pontoon at 88 mph.
While bragging rights abound in the speed department, there are other aspects of the 925 CTT IO worth looking at as well. As a craft that sits near the top of the South Bay line, you can expect bells and whistles aplenty. Some of the features that caught our eye include designer rails, stainless steel hardware, a refreshment center built into the forward helm, an oversized changing room and a raw-water washdown.
In the construction department, the continuous riser gives the craft a nice, clean look as well as improved rigidity, while the triple 25-inch diameter tubes, lifting strakes, underbelly splash shield and 16-inch cross-member spacing work to lend this craft a maximum horsepower of 425 -- that’s way up there for a ‘toon.
Performance
The first order of business, obviously, was to open the throttle wide and see how close we could get to 60 mph ourselves. According to Forest River Marine, the 60 mph record was achieved on calm water with one driver and a very light load of fuel. In our case, we had calm water, two people on board and a full tank of fuel (39 gallons -- about 244 lbs). For power we had a 425 hp 496 MAG HO MerCruiser with a Bravo Three X drive spinning a 19-inch set of three-blade dual props.
After trimming the craft out as much as we dared we were able to post a top speed of 56.9 mph on our GPS at 4,600 rpm. Not bad considering we were carrying at least 400 pounds more than when the 60 mph record was posted.
Satisfied with the craft’s straight-line performance, we banked the 925 CTT IO into a series of sharp S-turns. Thanks to electronic power assist steering it was easy to throw the craft into a tight corner with ease.
This craft had too much horsepower for what our fuel-flow meter could handle, but you can be sure that a big engine like this will likewise have a big appetite for fuel.
Slowing down to a cruising speed of 29 mph at 3,000 rpm yielded a comfortable ride with no vibrations or rattle -- our sound meter held right at 82 dBa while at cruising speed.
Overall
While the most attention-grabbing aspect of the South Bay Luxury Performance 925 CTT IO is its ability to satisfy that need for speed, it’s worth remembering that Forest River has also gone to great pains to create a comfortable and luxurious interior.
We’ve been on a lot of pontoons and we can say that in terms of lavishness and opulence, this ‘toon is at the upper end of the curve. With a price tag in excess of $53,000 for our test boat, you should have high expectations.
For those who aren’t so stuck on speed, you can still have the same boat with the same interior for considerably less with a smaller stern drive or outboard.

Riveratz
08-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Pontoon? No way jose. You'll probably get tired of going to slow. Why not a deck boat? Much faster with pretty much the same amount of room. And a lot more fun
Not true at all. I have a 25' Bennington and I can run 40 all day long. Yes, I know it is not as fast but is 40 that slow?
Also Compare my 25' Deck to a 28' Commander or 28' Magic and load ten people on board and I will have way more room. Pontoons/Tritoons are usable up to there 8 1/2 feet of width.

HemiDude
08-20-2007, 02:02 PM
You too huh?

HocusPocus
08-20-2007, 04:09 PM
i really enjoy our tri-toon and i don't miss any of my previous boats, going 35-40 mph is fine with me since i am never in that much of a hurry to get somewhere. it just suits our family needs and we find we are using it much more often.

Ziggy
08-20-2007, 04:15 PM
i really enjoy our tri-toon and i don't miss any of my previous boats, going 35-40 mph is fine with me since i am never in that much of a hurry to get somewhere. it just suits our family needs and we find we are using it much more often.
I have talked with a few people that have both a Toon and Performance boat and each has said they take the Toon out all the time and leave the HP behind.

HM
08-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Fag.

djunkie
08-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Fag.
How do you really feel? :jawdrop: :D

HM
08-20-2007, 04:41 PM
How do you really feel? :jawdrop: :D
:D

BigDoug
08-20-2007, 04:45 PM
We just bought a new Playcraft tritoon 24ft v-6 power and will do 42mph !!
We also have our little jet boat to get our groove on when it warrants it :D
I also noticed we enjoy our boating pleasure alot more going slower and relaxing the way it should be, hell i even cruise the jet boat but when i want thunder i hit the throttle and im gone !! :D
We have the best of both worlds................yahoo :D

SJP
08-20-2007, 05:19 PM
89 Baja in the avatar 63 mph SET ON KILL (I swear to god that is an accurate statement to the MPH) Had it out this weekend for the first time in two years. Felt good to cruise around with a more speed over the 95 pontoon with 140hp outboard. I will say the bque and "no worries factor" with family, friends and kids on board the pontoon is great. The biggest problem I have is I could not pay for a merc 525 engine upgrade if I sold both :D

pw_Tony
08-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Not true at all. I have a 25' Bennington and I can run 40 all day long. Yes, I know it is not as fast but is 40 that slow?
Also Compare my 25' Deck to a 28' Commander or 28' Magic and load ten people on board and I will have way more room. Pontoons/Tritoons are usable up to there 8 1/2 feet of width.
Is yours a pontoon or tritoon?

Riveratz
08-20-2007, 06:04 PM
Is yours a pontoon or tritoon?
Tritoon.

Mohave Vice
08-20-2007, 06:06 PM
got some video tape from that boat around here somewhere...memorial naci 03 I think girls gone wild was filming on the deck of it, so yes, yes it did "perform" :D
If memory serves it ran 18 MPH with an 11 pitch 3-blade at ~5500 with a 4-stroke 60 EFI motor. With a 20 gallon fuel tank I would put fuel in it about every 4th weekend, unless it was run "hard" all weekend.
I thought you said the toon was never broken in! I need to get a copy of that video. May add some value. Got the marg blender on board now. Works great. Got a cold one waiting for you!

dicudmore
08-20-2007, 06:16 PM
I thought you said the toon was never broken in! I need to get a copy of that video. May add some value. Got the marg blender on board now. Works great. Got a cold one waiting for you!
nice! When we going boating?? :D

rrrr
08-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Anyone else think that a couple years form now this, IMO "fad", will blow over and there may be some good deals on used toons? :idea: :D :D
You'll finally get one just in time for everyone to say "Eewwwww, a tritoon. How 2007."
:D :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-20-2007, 06:34 PM
I might buy one. . . when I'm 60. :devil: About the time social security kicks in. Oh, wait, I'm not getting that. Oh, well F-it. Probably never, then. :D

PS14
08-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Allright make fun of the toons. Our toon runs 48mph 4 people on board 30 gals of gas with 24' of shade and the river cruiser runs over 100 and ties up to the side very nice THINK PLAYCRAFT FOR A TOON NEW ONES HAVE TWIN WEED EATERS

howard25bullet
08-20-2007, 08:07 PM
I love my Howard and also the new Sanger Picklefork but I've been over to look at the Premier and Playcraft tri-toons. The premier is at Havasu Motor Sports on London Bridge Road and Dover. The Playcraft is a Shimmer Marine on London Bridge Road.
I was thoroughly impressed and you can put 496 HO's in some of the now with most coming with 350's. The center toons are designed as actual planing toons and Premiers was designed by a race boat designer. They also bank into the turns since the center toon is larger in diameter.
Yea, I'm amost 58 so maybe that's it but these two manufacturers are absolutely excellent from all I can tell.
A big plus at Havasu Motor Sports is they have an inside A/C showroom with the boats in it. Quite a nice treat to get out of the heat when not on the water.
Go check them out for yourself and get the DVD that Premier puts out. It was unbelievable to me...

Mrs 2LKHVSU
08-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Our Eliminator Fun Desk is the best of both worlds!:D

djunkie
08-20-2007, 08:28 PM
Our Eliminator Fun Desk is the best of both worlds!:D
Would you like to come have some fun on my desk? :jawdrop: :D :D

Mrs 2LKHVSU
08-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Would you like to come have some fun on my desk? :jawdrop: :D :D
oops! :redface:

shadow
08-20-2007, 08:55 PM
I love my Howard and also the new Sanger Picklefork but I've been over to look at the Premier and Playcraft tri-toons. The premier is at Havasu Motor Sports on London Bridge Road and Dover. The Playcraft is a Shimmer Marine on London Bridge Road.
I was thoroughly impressed and you can put 496 HO's in some of the now with most coming with 350's. The center toons are designed as actual planing toons and Premiers was designed by a race boat designer. They also bank into the turns since the center toon is larger in diameter.
Yea, I'm amost 58 so maybe that's it but these two manufacturers are absolutely excellent from all I can tell.
A big plus at Havasu Motor Sports is they have an inside A/C showroom with the boats in it. Quite a nice treat to get out of the heat when not on the water.
Go check them out for yourself and get the DVD that Premier puts out. It was unbelievable to me...
I'd also recomend checking out JC & Bennington. Be careful of the promises from Shimmer!! I looked at Playcraft (in theTop 3 in my opinion) and glad i didn't order one from Shimmer.
I have some friends that ordered a new Playcraft at the end of May gave a deposit and was told 6-8 weeks(should have had it by 4th of July) or there about and had a vacation planned to Lake Powel in August, had to cancel that and are still waiting for thier boat heading into the end of August.Hopefully they will get it before summer is completely over.

pw_Tony
08-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Tritoon.
I was talkin bout pontoons, I have to admit I'm impressed with tritoons

djunkie
08-20-2007, 08:56 PM
oops! :redface:
Don't worry, a couple more glasses and I'll be making the same mistakes. :D :D

BadKachina
08-20-2007, 09:00 PM
We were talking about renting one for Labor Day and having a bunch of us out on Pleasant. That way we don't have to tear up our rigs, and we can have a designated sober person to drive back in. I'm thinking this may be the best Labor Day I've had yet.;)

Mrs 2LKHVSU
08-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Don't worry, a couple more glasses and I'll be making the same mistakes. :D :D
Me thinks my bottle hath run dry.....:eek:

shueman
08-20-2007, 09:16 PM
We just bought a new Playcraft tritoon 24ft v-6 power and will do 42mph !!
We also have our little jet boat to get our groove on when it warrants it :D
I also noticed we enjoy our boating pleasure alot more going slower and relaxing the way it should be, hell i even cruise the jet boat but when i want thunder i hit the throttle and im gone !! :D
We have the best of both worlds................yahoo :D
The way to go...;)

djunkie
08-20-2007, 09:16 PM
Me thinks my bottle hath run dry.....:eek:
We're just about to finish bottle #2. :jawdrop: :D :D

Mrs 2LKHVSU
08-20-2007, 09:17 PM
We're just about to finish bottle #2. :jawdrop: :D :D
And it's Monday....:eek: :eek: :D

djunkie
08-20-2007, 09:23 PM
And it's Monday....:eek: :eek: :D
Is it? Oh ya it is. :rolleyes: :D :D

Mrs 2LKHVSU
08-20-2007, 09:26 PM
Is it? Oh ya it is. :rolleyes: :D :D
Here's to TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!:devil:

djunkie
08-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Here's to TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!:devil:
Nice!!!!! :D :D

PS14
08-20-2007, 10:23 PM
We were talking about renting one for Labor Day and having a bunch of us out on Pleasant. That way we don't have to tear up our rigs, and we can have a designated sober person to drive back in. I'm thinking this may be the best Labor Day I've had yet.;)
tHERE'S ONE IN HAVASU THATS FASTER THEN YOUR BOAT AND ITS FOR SALE (78MPH)YOU MIGHT JUST WANT TO BUY IT

BadKachina
08-20-2007, 10:30 PM
tHERE'S ONE IN HAVASU THATS FASTER THEN YOUR BOAT AND ITS FOR SALE (78MPH)YOU MIGHT JUST WANT TO BUY IT
78 isn't faster than my boat though.;) Hell, I don't want my boat anyways much less a pontoon. I think I'm more interested in a jet ski.

HavaPaul
08-21-2007, 06:45 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37584&stc=1&d=1187707319
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37582&stc=1&d=1187706778
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37580&stc=1&d=1187706308
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37583&stc=1&d=1187707036

TOBTEK
08-21-2007, 07:00 AM
One thing for sure is it's a lot nicer to spend Fifty to Sixty thousand than one hundred thousand plus on a boat.
how would you know?:eek: :D I cant even imagine spending 50 for a toon, they are cool in a "family truckster" kind of way. But the 50+ grand for one is crazy to me. Should have bought my Bro's tritoon for 15K though...:(

TOBTEK
08-21-2007, 07:00 AM
oops...double postage

yopengo
08-21-2007, 07:10 AM
I agree. I love our tri-toon but still feel the need for speed sometimes. I will pick up a used jet boat sometime next year for some river runs.
Love the billet boats. :D
Unfortunately though, those fancy 3 toon "performance" boats aren't very cheap. :jawdrop: :D :D
We picked up a used 24’ Playcraft Tri-Toon with a Honda four stroke for under 20k.
I'd also recomend checking out JC & Bennington. Be careful of the promises from Shimmer!! I looked at Playcraft (in theTop 3 in my opinion) and glad i didn't order one from Shimmer.
I have some friends that ordered a new Playcraft at the end of May gave a deposit and was told 6-8 weeks(should have had it by 4th of July) or there about and had a vacation planned to Lake Powel in August, had to cancel that and are still waiting for thier boat heading into the end of August.Hopefully they will get it before summer is completely over.
JC, Bennington, Playcraft are all excellent brands. Shimmer may not be the issue it may be the manufacture???
There are a lot of killer deals on used toons. I think Phebus snagged the one I wanted out of Phonex and it was a killer deal on a JC. Shimmer hooked us up on a used one and they have been excellent to deal with.

2Driver
08-21-2007, 07:47 AM
I cant even imagine spending 50 for a toon, But the 50+ grand for one is crazy to me. ...:(
In 1991 we bought a brand new JC Tritoon from Gaines Marine fully loaded 350 mercruiser, custom bimini, covers etc etc....
I remember lauching on Memorial day weekend and driving across the lake thinking: Did I really just pay $25K for a pontoon boat, am I a crazy? We sure had a lot of fun on that boat. If we lived in Havi and had only one boat I think it would be a JC.

Magic34
08-21-2007, 08:13 AM
The pontoon craze is just before the cruiser craze. I just bypassed the whole tooner thing and saved myself some money. :D

2Driver
08-21-2007, 08:24 AM
The pontoon craze is just before the cruiser craze. . :D
Then hotels are going to have to rethink their parking situations. :D

Warlockjer
08-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Plus I will guarantee it, you will learn to hate the loud noisy boats, especially Magic deck boats. Trust me I had a blown Warlock and do not miss it one bit!!!:)

wildbillg
08-21-2007, 08:50 AM
I have been selling boats in Havasu for a lil while now, and I have seen the change of tide rolling towards the pontoon-tritoon in the last few years.
As our family's grow older and our kids grow and want to bring their kids with them, there is a need for more space on the boat and not to mention there are alot of things on the lake that you miss by doing your 100 mph pass, don't get me wrong, I love to go out on my friends boats and blast up and down the lake at eye watering speeds, but there are all so the times when I want to bring my dogs and the wife and some friends and just do 35-45 mph and enjoy the company of my friends and family for a great day on the boat talking and bbq while beached in a cove.
I will never give up the idea that I am a "hot boater", but there just comes a time in everyones life when you can look at your self and feel the need for family & friends, over the need for speed.
I have sold several people their boats on this board, from speed to toons and I have to say it is great to hear all of you having the times of your lives out there, and knowing that I may have helped you in what ever your decision to purchase makes me happy to be part of it..
Now back to sales-----------------
Just wait and see what Bennington is going to be coming out with in the next few weeks!! It is going to blow your mind and make channel lounging a whole new way to just hang out.
I just hope everyone can enjoy their boats for whatever reason we all bought them for, and that is to enjoy the water....
Bill Gardner
The Boat Brokers
Lake Havasu City, Az.
1-800-488-0258 ext 232

djunkie
08-21-2007, 11:09 AM
how would you know?:eek: :D I cant even imagine spending 50 for a toon, they are cool in a "family truckster" kind of way. But the 50+ grand for one is crazy to me. Should have bought my Bro's tritoon for 15K though...:(
This is exactly the point I was trying to make in this thread...........:idea: :D :D

HOOTER SLED-
08-21-2007, 11:12 AM
If I was gonna spend 50 on a pontoon..........I would just buy a Cheeteh deck...............seriously.:D Then I would have the best of both worlds. :)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-21-2007, 03:13 PM
If I was gonna spend 50 on a pontoon..........I would just buy a Cheeteh deck...............seriously.:D Then I would have the best of both worlds. :)
Ditto. I would much rather have a deck boat. Then I can still go fast, pull a tube and have a ton of shade and storage. We almost bought one a couple of years ago.