PDA

View Full Version : Question on removing midsection of 1986 225hp evinrude.

cfauvel
03-01-2002, 07:21 PM
I've recently started working on the tilt mid section of my engine since many of the components were very rusty. It took several weeks of trying to get the top pin of the hydraulic ram out...used heat, used a hardened steel punch...and finally came out after drilling out most of the material. Now I'm trying to get the lower pivot point out so I can clean up the hydraulic ram , coat the metal with this new special paint and then coat it with white paint. But the bottom pivot point seems to be quite stuck too.
the question is: Is the bottom pivot point for hydraulic ram a bar that goes straight through the side brackets with two lock nuts; like the bar that comes just before that? Isn't the middle section( with the oil resevoir and oil pump) designed to be able to be removed with the engine mounted on the two side brackets?
Visually it looks like the bar goes straight through, but the parts catalog makes it appear that there is another bar that is used and that the two side brackets would have to be removed first.
I had this all apart when they rebuilt my engine in 1994, but that was over 7 years ago and I can't remember if there were two bars that went through the two side brackets, or if only one bar and what I think is another bar is simply a stud coming from the middle section on each side.
I have room next to the ram's bottom pivot point (next to each nylon bushing) to be able to cut the bar, but am afraid to do that until I'm sure that it is in fact a bar that goes straight through.
So far I've tried simply pounding one end with a 48oz hammer, and it doesn't move. I have access to a torch to heat it up. Would you suggest heating the steel bar, or the surrounding aluminum? I ask because heating the bar seems like that would expand the steel which in turn would make it a tighter fit, but heating the aluminum around the hole would expand the metal so that cinches around the steel bar.
any help would be great.
Chris

ratso
03-01-2002, 10:34 PM
if this is an 86 (not a fastrac) you can remove the 6 bolts holding the trim unit in without pulling the stern brackets, since the top pin is now out. it is also a pin in the bottom. heat, lube, patience. if you destroy it, i can hook you up with a replacement for $300. Good luck.

cfauvel
03-02-2002, 06:26 AM
so the bottom pin does come out like I described?
$300.00 please tell me that is for a complete midsection and not the bottom pin.
:-)

ratso
03-02-2002, 06:42 AM
complete t&t unit. bottom pin in the t&t unit does come out. the pin only is actually $400. (just kidding) good luck.

snappertapper
03-02-2002, 08:59 PM
he is right there should be 6 bolts and i dont think there is a pin but i may be wrong but i just had 1 apart liek a week ago so im pretty sure that there is no bottom pin
any more questions please email me at bigfish1229@aol.com

ratso
03-02-2002, 10:39 PM
I Repeat. There is a bottom pin. It is called a "tilt cylinder retaining pin. If the corrosion is bad, this pin will need to be removed to replace the nylon bushings. apply grease liberally to the pin and bushings when you go back together with it. Careful not to kink the hydraulic line at the bottom of the trim cylinder. You may want to reseal the unit while it is apart, if you noticed any previous leaks.

cfauvel
03-02-2002, 11:11 PM
well corrosion must be pretty bad since it doesn't move with me hammer a 48oz sledge against it. There seems to be quite a bit of play at the pivot point of the ram, but the bushings seem to be fine as far as I can tell with the ram still installed.
No leaks (as of yet). And the bottom line was replaced in 1994 when I had the engine rebuilt.
what do you suggest as far as heating? The bar or the surrounding aluminum?
thanks in advance.
Chris
any suggestion on replacing the tilt/stearing tube ( the pivot point for the engine itself)...It has seen better days, and I can only get grease in on one side only. The other just doesn't accept any grease no matter how hard I squeeze the grease gun. I'm thinking there is corrosion that is blocking the grease from oozing out to the middle. any thoughts on that?

ratso
03-03-2002, 02:09 AM
From personal experience, use a good penetrating oil and heat all of it with a propane torch. I have seen some things that are just too far gone. The grease fittings you are referring to only grease the bushings and outer tube, not the cable as some may think. I would go ahead and replace those too and hone out the tube. Corrosion is a bitch. I really feel for you.

cfauvel
03-03-2002, 08:48 AM
Thanks ratso,
But fortunately I have hydraulic steering so the corrosion on the tilt tube doesn't affect me...but then again unable to ram grease into one side worries me that one day I won't be able to lift the engine anymore.
With the ram disconnected, the engine lifts like butter. Lifting the engine with the ram still connected, but the manual release valve opened, was a bear.
I'm going to have to get an engine hoist to do the tilt tube aren't I? I don't see how I can avoid that Is the mounting point for the hoist the three holes in the flywheel (I know there are used to remove the flywheel) or is there a more proper place to bolt the hoist's chain to ?
BTW this is the first forum where somebody has actually gone into to detail to help me with this. Thanks

ratso
03-03-2002, 10:42 AM
To pull the flywheel or lift the motor is done by using the three holes in the top of the flywheel. Sometimes I forget that people don't have all the special tools in the field as I do at my shop. Anyway, round up three bolts (fine thread) and bolt a chain between them to lift your motor. Remove the nut on the steering tube and pull the stern brackets. Don't lose your washers between the brackets, and replace the bushings.

snappertapper
03-03-2002, 02:08 PM
there shold be a lifting eye on on the powerhead its self

ratso
03-03-2002, 02:53 PM
Some of the cross scavenged OMC's had a lifting eye mounted behind the flywheel. Being this is a Looper, I doubt it has one. If my memory serves me correctly, the power pack is mounted in that area. We still use our adapter anyway, lifting eye or not. Either way, be careful how you lift and secure it. 450 pounds is a lot of weight to come crashing down.

snappertapper
03-03-2002, 04:33 PM
if i am not mistaken there should be an eye on each cylinder head they are small if you can find a book on a new style 150 johnson they should be the same as in there

drewvir
04-02-2002, 04:47 PM
you need to lift the '86 loopers from the flywheel.qute little trick(auto harmonic balancer puller,5/8 eye bolt and a nut(goes where the center thrust bolt goes)and 3 5/16 fine thread bolts 2-1/2" long.
lifting rig/flywheelpuller

cfauvel
04-02-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by drewvir:
you need to lift the '86 loopers from the flywheel.qute little trick(auto harmonic balancer puller,5/8 eye bolt and a nut(goes where the center thrust bolt goes)and 3 5/16 fine thread bolts 2-1/2" long.
lifting rig/flywheelpuller
Drew apparently you've read my post, I still can't get the rod that goes through the ram out. You seem to have experience with this engine, am I right in that there are two rods, the first closest to the engine, is used to stop the thrust of the engine, and the second , a few inches in towards the tilt is the pivot point of the ram?
The parts catalog shows the pivot bar to be a third bar that is held in place by the fact it is sandwiched between the two engine side brackets....but my setup doesn't look like that..like I said it looks as though the second bar IS the pivot point...but alas is not moving (and I've boogered up one end quite a bit...hammering the metal has bent it a bit and thickened the diameter by 1/8" at least...so if I did get it to move I would move it as far as I could in the current direction, apply greas and hammer it out in the opposite direction from the side that isn't boogered up).
PS. For whatever reason, I can push grease in the fitting that wasn't allowing me to, this past weekend. I guess the various pounding loosened some rust in some key area and now accepts grease.
Please reply with any insight on how to get the bottom pivot point out.
Regards
Chris

snappertapper
04-03-2002, 07:16 AM
are you sure this motor is an 86 it sounds like yo have the fast trak power trim which has 1 large pivot pin on the bottom held in place by a c clamp on either end and the one on the top of the motor. In which case you will need a torch and a heavy hammer with a longer rod to hit the pin with after heating. this should do the trick if not please email me at bigfish1229@aol.com please include a picture if at all possible