PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY Got it wet!!

thatguy
08-20-2007, 06:10 PM
OH BOY!,
After 1 full year, a wasted cam on fire-up and re-pulling to get the coupler in, finally got the Miller in the water.
WORTH THE EFFORT!!!
Took it to Shasta first, my god the water is low! Fired up, took it easy for a while, no real wide open blasts. NO LEAKS!!!
Couple days later went to Whiskeytown. (Saturday)
Blasted around a little then got into some hot laps with a hondo, a Tahiti, and A picklefork of some kind. We raced around some shoal bouys, maybe 300-400 feet apart. WOW!! Boat went straight to 5200RPM, set flat and straight, and ROCKETED straight to the bouy. Spun on a dime, and BAM! straight back on set and literally missiling to the next bouy. Don't know how fast but I could not be more pleased. Even my Wife could not believe that something I built ran like that. By lap #3, I was lapping them and we quit.
Never missed, popped, sputtered, nothing. Ran like a freakin' swiss watch.
Damn I am happy!!!
Tommy

TRG
08-20-2007, 06:19 PM
one of the two best days a boat owner has! Gettin her wet for the first time,....and selin it! lol
Stokked for you! congrats!

'75 Miller
08-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Very nice Tommy, well done. How much power? What all's been done to the pump?
Sure is a beautiful Miller, congrats!

thatguy
08-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Very nice Tommy, well done. How much power? What all's been done to the pump?
Sure is a beautiful Miller, congrats!
Thanks a bunch!!
Pump is absolutley stock, 1 piece bowl. I believe it has a B impeller. Pump is this winter's project.
As far as power, I did not dyno it, but guessing from engines I have dyno'd and it's performance I will go out on a limb and say high 500 something. Pulls like a tourque monster!
10:1 Compression
.575 lift straight across (Hyd.)
284 Dur. 245 @ .050
Brodix BB1 280cc Rect. 119cc Chambers. Aluminum
2 660's
Balanced
MSD
Holley Blue marine pump @ 5 lbs. (Never varied)

GAWnCA
08-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks a bunch!!
Pump is absolutley stock, 1 piece bowl. I believe it has a B impeller. Pump is this winter's project.
As far as power, I did not dyno it, but guessing from engines I have dyno'd and it's performance I will go out on a limb and say high 500 something. Pulls like a tourque monster!
10:1 Compression
.575 lift straight across (Hyd.)
284 Dur. 245 @ .050
Brodix BB1 280cc Rect. 119cc Chambers. Aluminum
2 660's
Balanced
MSD
Holley Blue marine pump @ 5 lbs. (Never varied)
Damn Tommy, Nice rig. Maybe there's hope for the 75 Miller I just picked up a couple of weeks ago.
Here's my Miller![/B]
http://home.comcast.net/~gregaw/Miller_at_Home.jpg
Greg

thatguy
08-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Damn Tommy, Nice rig. Maybe there's hope for the 75 Miller I just picked up a couple of weeks ago.
Here's my Miller![/B]
http://home.comcast.net/~gregaw/Miller_at_Home.jpg
Greg
Sweet!
This is my second 79' Miller. This one is much nicer than my first, but iidenticle hulls. I also have a 73' Eliminator Flat V-Drive. I gotta say the Miller is like a cadilac on steroids. Easily the best riding jet hull I have ridden in, although I am certain there are many just as smooth. Not sure I can get the wife back in the flat after the plush ride in the Miller. Its like being shot out of a sling shot. I am sure you will be more than pleased with yours!! :D
Tommy

GAWnCA
08-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Sweet!
This is my second 79' Miller. This one is much nicer than my first, but iidenticle hulls. I also have a 73' Eliminator Flat V-Drive. I gotta say the Miller is like a cadilac on steroids. Easily the best riding jet hull I have ridden in, although I am certain there are many just as smooth. Not sure I can get the wife back in the flat after the plush ride in the Miller. Its like being shot out of a sling shot. I am sure you will be more than pleased with yours!! :D
Tommy
Thanks Tommy, This is my first jet boat so I'm anxious to get it wet this week or on the week-end. I've had water plumbing issues that are ironed out now. There's electrical issues that after I get back to my HONEY DO list and get some of those projects caught up, I'll get re-wired. After that, I think most everything else is cosmetics. The hull has seen better days but with some fiberglass and filler, it'll be ready for paint. As far as I can tell, even the upholstery is original.
Greg

thatguy
08-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks Tommy, This is my first jet boat so I'm anxious to get it wet this week or on the week-end. I've had water plumbing issues that are ironed out now. There's electrical issues that after I get back to my HONEY DO list and get some of those projects caught up, I'll get re-wired. After that, I think most everything else is cosmetics. The hull has seen better days but with some fiberglass and filler, it'll be ready for paint. As far as I can tell, even the upholstery is original.
Greg
Good Deal!
They all need some work when you get them, thats for sure! I got the Yellow one a year ago and was just in awe of the condition of the hull. It had some sort of PAW rebuilder engine in it. We took it out once and got passed by a bass boat. Went straight home and pulled the engine! Yeah, I got a little carried away with it!
Mine could use a little TLC on the wiring end of it. Under dash and the harness are intact and straight, but by no means as new. The ignition and fuel pump wiring I added are nice and clean,(and in yellow jacketing) but the boat half from the terminal bar on the engine will need addressed eventually.
Tommy

GAWnCA
08-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Good Deal!
They all need some work when you get them, thats for sure! I got the Yellow one a year ago and was just in awe of the condition of the hull. It had some sort of PAW rebuilder engine in it. We took it out once and got passed by a bass boat. Went straight home and pulled the engine! Yeah, I got a little carried away with it!
Mine could use a little TLC on the wiring end of it. Under dash and the harness are intact and straight, but by no means as new. The ignition and fuel pump wiring I added are nice and clean,(and in yellow jacketing) but the boat half from the terminal bar on the engine will need addressed eventually.
Tommy
Here's the mess under my dash as it stands:
http://home.comcast.net/~gregaw/guages_001_sm.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~gregaw/guages_002_sm.jpg
and
http://home.comcast.net/~gregaw/guages_003_sm.jpg
I can't find a common ground for the fuel guage and had to run a seperate wire back to the block to get it to work. Strange!
Greg

camoman
08-20-2007, 08:03 PM
Well i was waiting for this post for some time;) Glad to see all went well good job:D

GAWnCA
08-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Well i was waiting for this post for some time;) Glad to see all went well good job:D
That is ONE CLEAN MACHINE. I hope my 1975 turns out half as nice. My wife hates the color so I'll be doing some paint practicing before I go to work on the boat.

thatguy
08-21-2007, 04:58 AM
Thanks!
You know, around April or so I was getting pretty tired of it. Thought of bagging it more than once! Seemed like every step forward was 2 steps back.
When the cam went flat on the trailer I covered it up for 3 weeks. Pretty depressing. Then just said f*ck it, and finished it.
Seems like its always that one fitting, or that one little piece that holds you up.
Well, it's done now! just in time for winter!
Tommy

ck7684
08-21-2007, 05:32 AM
Great!!! I'm hoping to get mine in the water soon too, but keep running into one roadblock after another...:mad: but I'm sure it will be worth the wait, as well as the $$$$ ;)

GAWnCA
08-21-2007, 05:44 AM
Good Deal!
Tommy
Hey, don't knock the bass boats. Some of those dudes will get up and run 80 mph. They are set up to get to the "HOT SPOTS" for fishing tournaments, but then for $40K to $60K that thing better do more than just keep a bait alive. Sometime, check out Ranger Boats.
Greg

GAWnCA
08-21-2007, 05:46 AM
Great!!! I'm hoping to get mine in the water soon too, but keep running into one roadblock after another...:mad: but I'm sure it will be worth the wait, as well as the $$$$ ;)
CK, you sound like me - - TOO DAMN PICKY!! :D I think I'm going to the water and then see something else I don't feel comfortable with so another day or 2 or 3 is spent fixing that problem, and then another shows up while the present one is being fixed. It's funny how things show up the more you work on things.
Greg

ck7684
08-22-2007, 06:32 AM
I wish it was a case of being too picky!! Went to fire up the engine and turns out the starter is shot, so had that rebuilt. Now the alternator isnt charging, so that's being rebuilt too...one thing after another, but it is getting there...

Sleeper CP
08-22-2007, 06:49 AM
Congrats:)
Glad it was worth the wait for you. Put a smile on your face for a while did it...;)
Sleeper CP
565" Ford Lover

Devilman
08-22-2007, 08:08 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~gregaw/guages_003_sm.jpg
I can't find a common ground for the fuel guage and had to run a seperate wire back to the block to get it to work. Strange!
Greg
Those are some pretty cool lookin gauges.......

thatguy
08-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Congrats:)
Glad it was worth the wait for you. Put a smile on your face for a while did it...;)
Sleeper CP
565" Ford Lover
Yep!, Still smiling! Tommy