PDA

View Full Version : Cycle Trader Fraud

HPBoats83
08-20-2007, 06:26 PM
I have my brothers bike on the internet for sale for 13,999. I received an e-mail from (an interested customer that was automatically generated from the trader) and it e-mailed me and said "I am very interested in your bike, cash in hand, but why are their two seperate adds?" I looked on the trader and couldn't find a second add. I then received another e-mail from cycle trader alerting me of a change to my add, which I had NOT done so I checked it out. They changed the phone number (to a number we don't know) and the price to 6,300. They had to log into my acount under my name to change all this info. When I signed up they asked for my brothers adress so I gave it to them.
What I think will happen now is they are going to try to steal the bike (since they have my bro's adress), pull a vin job, and sell it for $6300 or so. I thought that was pretty f'n crazy but might have worked. What do you think?

coolchange
08-20-2007, 06:46 PM
I NEVER give the address where what I'm selling lives. And I let them know that it doesn't stay there also.

HPBoats83
08-20-2007, 09:23 PM
I NEVER give the address where what I'm selling lives. And I let them know that it doesn't stay there also.
Yeah I have deffinately learned my lesson the hard way on this one. I just deleted the add and am going to have a talk with the cycle trader people in the morning to see what we can do.

WishIknew
08-20-2007, 09:31 PM
F**KIN CRACK HEADS !!!!!!what next????

cola
08-20-2007, 10:09 PM
We just received a letter from the US District Court for of Georgia. My son sent a E-bay seller a 2k deposit on a set of wheels. They have 5 guys in jail for wire fraud. It looks like over they took over $500,000 from 200+ victims. All were college kids but one. The DA thinks they will recover close to all the money owed. (we hope)They found my son from a contact he made and filled a report in New York.
Paypal & Visa recovered 3k for him on another E-bay deal he had. I sure hate thieves.
Mike

Outnumbered
08-20-2007, 10:15 PM
We just received a letter from the US District Court for of Georgia. My son sent a E-bay seller a 2k deposit on a set of wheels. They have 5 guys in jail for wire fraud. It looks like over they took over $500,000 from 200+ victims. All were college kids but one. The DA thinks they will recover close to all the money owed. (we hope)They found my son from a contact he made and filled a report in New York.
Paypal & Visa recovered 3k for him on another E-bay deal he had. I sure hate thieves.
Mike
Ebay has become a joke. A buddy of mine had someone hijack his entire e-bay ad on a Rhino and they changed the location to NY using all of his pics, discription, and FEEDBACK/user name.:sqeyes: I have no idea how they did it but once I saw this I stopped buying stuff on e-bay.

WishIknew
08-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Like I Said F****n Crack Heads

HPBoats83
08-21-2007, 06:19 AM
Yeah it's kinda sad all of this good internet stuff (trader, ebay, who know's what's next) is going to adventually get ruined because people forgot how to go out and get a real job. So should I report my little incident to the police or just the trader or both?

Mike67rs
08-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Be careful with e-mail messages that claim to be from the Trader. I received one after posting my boat for sale on boattrader.com. It alleged that there was a problem with my billing information and requested that I "click the link below" to update my billing information including my name, address, credit card info etc. It looked ligit, but in reality was just an attempt to obtain by CC information.

Mike67rs
08-21-2007, 09:58 AM
If you did update any billing information via the link sent via e-mail, cancel the card now.

ChumpChange
08-21-2007, 10:04 AM
If you did update any billing information via the link sent via e-mail, cancel the card now.
Exactly. Never use the link provided in an email. Even if the link says www.cycletrader.com, it could have taken you elsewhere.

HocusPocus
08-21-2007, 10:06 AM
I think that would be one of the ballsiest, complex scams ever pulled. Probably just going to try and get somebody to send them a deposit via PayPal, Western Union, etc and scam with the money.
i would be willing to bet this is what they are up to... i see this often on ebay.

ZBODaytona
08-21-2007, 10:10 AM
I have been told by many people.....anything you log on, like e-bay or trader will not contact you by e-mail, they will just wait till you log on and have a message waiting for you....They say this how they keep from getting people scammed over e-mail is not to send any about problems with the account. Again just what i have been told but seems like good advise. I know on the few log on pages i am part of, if there is an issue with my account i always find out when i log on, not trough e-mail

Insurance God
08-21-2007, 11:04 AM
The Recycler (recycler.com) really upset me. That site is full of scams. I fell victim a few years back & recycler didn't do anything about it. I could go on for a long time on that one but I won't. Just be careful if you visit that site.

Big Inch
08-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Trying to find a used car on craigs list and I swear that 80% if not more of the ones we've called are scams.

Pro Max
08-21-2007, 11:52 AM
I dont think anyone is going to go trough that much trouble for 13k

HPBoats83
08-21-2007, 12:53 PM
I dont think anyone is going to go trough that much trouble for 13k
Who know's who is willing to do what for how much money. I called the cycle trader and they were as useful as a wet fart.

C-2
08-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Did you call the phone number? That would be fun.

topless
08-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Did you call the phone number? That would be fun.That would be too easy.

HPBoats83
08-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Did you call the phone number? That would be fun.
Yes I called but they wouldn't answer. I tried from private numbers and phone numbers he / she wouldn't know.

C-2
08-21-2007, 02:17 PM
Yes I called but they wouldn't answer. I tried from private numbers and phone numbers he / she wouldn't know.
Give it to me, I'll see if I can reverse it.

HPBoats83
08-21-2007, 09:44 PM
The number that they put on the add is 714-412-2049. We DO NOT know whose number it is, somebody else put it there when they changed the add.

C-2
08-21-2007, 09:59 PM
The number that they put on the add is 714-412-2049. We DO NOT know whose number it is, somebody else put it there when they changed the add.
Nextel number, damnit, now I have to get creative. Gimmie some time.:)

HPBoats83
08-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Take your time. I really believe it's something to do with the east coast because when I got the e-mail from cycle trader notifying me that the add was changed, I received the e-mail at 6:30 and it said the add was changed at 8:30 that same day.

C-2
08-22-2007, 06:59 AM
That number has already gone dead and isn't ringing. I was surprised you had a working number, Nextel at that, they usually use prepaid, disposable cell numbers, or jack somebody else's number.
Does Nextel offer prepaid service?