PDA

View Full Version : Water news....It isn't good :(

DILLIGAF
08-21-2007, 02:02 AM
Looking at the pics of Powellfest made me cringe a bit as I saw how much the water level is down. Last fall when I went to Mead I felt the same way. It isn't getting better anytime soon :(
Water shortage looms as lake levels plunge
By JOHN RUDOLF
Monday, August 20, 2007 10:04 PM MST
With Lake MeadÂ’s water levels plunging toward record lows and allocations throughout the lower Colorado River basin stretched to the limit, Lake Havasu City faces a potential shortfall in its allotted water in the coming years, the cityÂ’s water resources coordinator will say tonight at a special City Council session.
“If the federal government starts to hold back water, we’ll be impacted immediately,” said Doyle Wilson, the city’s top water official. “We are preparing for that scenario if that happens.”
Lake MeadÂ’s water is now at 1,111 feet above sea level. If it continues to drop below a predetermined level, the federal government will declare a shortage.
WilsonÂ’s presentation will cover the possibility of such an event, and explain the details of an upcoming decision by the Bureau of Reclamation, which will govern how a water shortage is dealt with in Arizona and the other lower basin states.
Lake Mead has only dropped below 1,100 feet twice in its history, in 1965 and 1955. It reached capacity in the late 1930s.
Bob Hart, a supervisory hydrologist with the U.S. Geological SurveyÂ’s Arizona Water Science Center, said a combination of increasing water demand from the Colorado River and a drought that is approaching its 10th year have led to steadily dropping levels in Lake Mead.
“It all plays together,” he said.
Not only are drought conditions driving communities to take more water out of the river, the snow pack in Colorado that feeds the river has been melting too early in the spring.
“The runoff has been there, but the volume doesn’t make it to the reservoirs,” he said. “We’ve had numerous years like that.”
With spring coming more suddenly, the snow pack simply does not last into the summer as it once did, providing a steady, even flow to the river. Instead the snow melts all at once, soaking into the ground instead of into streams that feed the river.
The result is less water reaching Lake Mead and Lake Powell, even in years of heavy snowfall in the Rockies.
Combined with drought conditions in the Southwest and intense growth in urban areas such as Phoenix, the recipe was set for an epic battle over water rights.
“There’s only so much water in the river, and it’s the most overused, overallocated river in the country,” Hart said. “Arizona is the fastest-growing state in the country, and there’s much more demand.”
The states of the lower Colorado River basin are tapped out on their water allocations, Wilson said.
“Arizona uses about all of its 2.8 million acre-feet,” he said. “California is also pretty much maxed out, and so is Nevada.”
An acre-foot is about 325,000 gallons of water.
Under the current rules governing the water distribution from the Colorado River, Lake Havasu City is considered a forth-priority user, behind cities or entities such as Indian tribes, military bases or cities with water-use agreements older than 1968, or in some cases the 1920s.
The Central Arizona Project, which provides water for Phoenix and Tucson, also qualifies as a fourth-priority user.
WilsonÂ’s testimony will include the many steps the city has taken in recent years to soften the blow of a potential shortage, such as deals with neighboring municipalities to buy extraneous water supply, he said. Also up for discussion will be steps the city and its residents must take if and when water allocations are cut. The cityÂ’s present per-capita water usage is about 235 gallons per day, Wilson said.
You may contact the reporter at jrudolf@havasunews.com.

Rexone
08-21-2007, 02:25 AM
Looking at the pics of Powellfest made me cringe a bit as I saw how much the water level is down. Last fall when I went to Mead I felt the same way. It isn't getting better anytime soon :(
Water shortage looms as lake levels plunge
By JOHN RUDOLF
Monday, August 20, 2007 10:04 PM MST
With Lake Mead’s water levels plunging toward record lows and allocations throughout the lower Colorado River basin stretched to the limit, Lake Havasu City faces a potential shortfall in its allotted water in the coming years, the city’s water resources coordinator will say tonight at a special City Council session.
“If the federal government starts to hold back water, we’ll be impacted immediately,” said Doyle Wilson, the city’s top water official. “We are preparing for that scenario if that happens.”
Lake Mead’s water is now at 1,111 feet above sea level. If it continues to drop below a predetermined level, the federal government will declare a shortage.
Wilson’s presentation will cover the possibility of such an event, and explain the details of an upcoming decision by the Bureau of Reclamation, which will govern how a water shortage is dealt with in Arizona and the other lower basin states.
Lake Mead has only dropped below 1,100 feet twice in its history, in 1965 and 1955. It reached capacity in the late 1930s.
Bob Hart, a supervisory hydrologist with the U.S. Geological Survey’s Arizona Water Science Center, said a combination of increasing water demand from the Colorado River and a drought that is approaching its 10th year have led to steadily dropping levels in Lake Mead.
“It all plays together,” he said.
Not only are drought conditions driving communities to take more water out of the river, the snow pack in Colorado that feeds the river has been melting too early in the spring.
“The runoff has been there, but the volume doesn’t make it to the reservoirs,” he said. “We’ve had numerous years like that.”
With spring coming more suddenly, the snow pack simply does not last into the summer as it once did, providing a steady, even flow to the river. Instead the snow melts all at once, soaking into the ground instead of into streams that feed the river.
The result is less water reaching Lake Mead and Lake Powell, even in years of heavy snowfall in the Rockies.
Combined with drought conditions in the Southwest and intense growth in urban areas such as Phoenix, the recipe was set for an epic battle over water rights.
“There’s only so much water in the river, and it’s the most overused, overallocated river in the country,” Hart said. “Arizona is the fastest-growing state in the country, and there’s much more demand.”
The states of the lower Colorado River basin are tapped out on their water allocations, Wilson said.
“Arizona uses about all of its 2.8 million acre-feet,” he said. “California is also pretty much maxed out, and so is Nevada.”
An acre-foot is about 325,000 gallons of water.
Under the current rules governing the water distribution from the Colorado River, Lake Havasu City is considered a forth-priority user, behind cities or entities such as Indian tribes, military bases or cities with water-use agreements older than 1968, or in some cases the 1920s.
The Central Arizona Project, which provides water for Phoenix and Tucson, also qualifies as a fourth-priority user.
Wilson’s testimony will include the many steps the city has taken in recent years to soften the blow of a potential shortage, such as deals with neighboring municipalities to buy extraneous water supply, he said. Also up for discussion will be steps the city and its residents must take if and when water allocations are cut. The city’s present per-capita water usage is about 235 gallons per day, Wilson said.
You may contact the reporter at jrudolf@havasunews.com.
Considering the lower part of this post, I wonder what the federal governments "plan" is for supplying additional millions of illegal immigrints with water during the coming years.
Droughts and years of excess are simply part of the cycle. It's the overuse of the system (too many people) that is becoming a problem and will become a big problem in coming years if populations are allowed to continue along the present trend. It does not take a genius to figure this out. Look at the almost unrestricted development just in the Vegas area as just one small example. Hundreds of such examples exist thoughout the western US. All those houses use water. I've seen a lot of waste in Agribusiness and city run irrigation and sprinkler areas also. That bothers me as I struggle to flush the crap down my low flow toilet and make an effort to plant low water usage plants and other water saving practices. Government needs to step up and practice what it preaches and stop the unrestricted development being allowed with no water infrastructure to support it. Perhaps a couple of transcontinental pipe lines to transfer water where it is needed either direction. Expensive? Well yes. Let's see how many hundred billion have been squandered in foreign policy and domestic decisions??? hmmm. :idea:
Perhaps a pipeline from Canada if Brown would approve of it?

Not So Fast
08-21-2007, 07:34 AM
GEE, who would've guessed this ???? Why is it that the so called experts cant see the writing on the wall like the simple man can?? I've been saying this for years, it boils down to there are just to many people for this river to support, thats the problem. :( NSF

PaPaG
08-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Hmmm, remove 12-15 million illegals with a huge % being in Cali, AZ and NV and no more water shortage....at 235 gallons a day used by each person that would be a savings of 3.5 BILLION gallons of water a day........hmmm

Ziggy
08-21-2007, 08:03 AM
I thought Havasu water supply was ground water and not river water:confused:

spectras only
08-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Perhaps a couple of transcontinental pipe lines to transfer water where it is needed either direction. Expensive? Well yes. Let's see how many hundred billion have been squandered in foreign policy and domestic decisions??? hmmm. :idea:
[B]Perhaps a pipeline from Canada if Brown would approve of it?
Mike , there was a proposal to ferry water by tanker ships from the now defunct town of Ocean Falls here on the BC coast . But ,some righteous canucks had an outcry that you guys want to steal our water :D , so they just letting the billions of gallons of fresh water flowing into the ocean .
We're building the Gateway pipeline to Prince Rupert to transport the oil to China from Alberta instead . Brown has nothing to offer you guys other than wheat for ethanol :) :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Falls,_British_Columbia

spectras only
08-21-2007, 08:59 AM
You guys have all the sunshine , but focked big time :) . Time to put some wheels on your boats to run them in the desert ;) :D

Magic34
08-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Waterless Car Wash is the answer! Everyone did this, we would save on average in 1 metro area over 1,000,000 gallons of water every month. :D

No Name
08-21-2007, 09:20 AM
A look into the future.:(
http://www.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/l/Leia/552.jpg

KineticoH20
08-21-2007, 10:05 AM
The government is gonna have to go 21st century. There are billions of gallona of water in the ocean and we have the technology to make that water fresh in the millions of gallons per day. Yes it is very expensive and the infastructure would be costly to build, however water could be pumped from calif and texas inland. If we have a trillion to spend on war we should be able to find the cash to get the population it's water without destroying our nations natural wonders.

HM
08-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Waterless Car Wash is the answer! Everyone did this, we would save on average in 1 metro area over 1,000,000 gallons of water every month. :D
But, then you use up that water making the koolaid...so it is a "wash." :D

Sigus
08-21-2007, 10:07 AM
I got one word..... desalinisation

spectras only
08-21-2007, 12:57 PM
I got one word..... desalinisation
The arabs did that long time ago already from the proceeds of selling a few gallons of crude to us ;) :)

Donttreadonme
08-21-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm no lover of illegals, but they aren't that big of an issue in this case. We have been short changing Mexico as far as water goes from the Colorado River for some time!