PDA

View Full Version : anti slip on bajas

axkiker
08-21-2007, 05:08 AM
so im fixing up a baja 272 and am working on the rear.
typically baja has the neophrene foam stuff on the back for traction. I would like to spray on the anti skid stuff that their newer boats are using.
The way it looks to me is that they have a way of spraying gel coat in a kinda textured patters. It almost ends up looking like rhino liner but made of gel coat.
anyone know how they are doing this. Ive sprayed gel coat before with great success. But never tried to figure a way to spray it in a textured pattern.

phebus
08-21-2007, 08:22 AM
My guess is that is it is done in the mold, and not applied later.

axkiker
08-21-2007, 09:01 AM
My guess is that is it is done in the mold, and not applied later.
yeah I agree. I think that if I can figure out how they sprayed it in that textured / splattered pattern I can spray, let it dry then spray a final smooth coat over it all. Should be pretty close to original.

DUCKY
08-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Most of those patterns are done in the mold and are virtually impossible to duplicate. You can however, do a "gun dribble" type pattern pretty easily. Prep your area, tape it off in such a manner that you can pull your tape lines (while the gel is wet, of course), and then go back and put a second layer of tape in the same spot . Spray a nice heavy coat of gel with styrene, patch aid and surfacing agent added and pull your top layer of tape. After that starts to set up, mix up more gel with the patch aid, and surfacing agent, but no or very little styrene (try to keep it pretty thick). and open the gun up all the way with the air almost off and let it "spit" the gel out. How much non-skid is entirely up to you. Pull your second tape line and let it all set up. When it's cured, you can sand it lightly with some 1500 grit on your bare hand and buff, buff, buff away.
Have Fun!
Don't try to spray a "final smooth coat" over it, your pattern will all but disappear......

BOTTOMS UP BILL
09-04-2007, 03:31 AM
I have repaired and spot repaired this non skid. you need to add some cabosil and do what Ducky said and reduce the pressure in the gun and dribble it on. Small shots , covering so that it would never sand and buff. Nice thin passes.
When masking off, mask off leaving an outside 3/8 line, then mask right off to the intended edge. Shoot and pull the last tape applied for a nice clean line. Leaving the othe masking behind incase you would like to touch it up.
At the factory i have installed this material, much diffrent then repair. You get to choose what all of it looks like. Believe it or not the application gun is a shotz gun for undercoating cars. But I would recommend using a primer gun.
Bill
bottomsupboatrepair.com