PDA

View Full Version : Baby on board

Cigalert
08-21-2007, 07:08 AM
The wife and I are attempting to break out this sunday to Havi for a few days since the wife has been locked up indoors for almost 4 months. We have what will be a 6 week old baby out in 105-110 heat starting this Sunday. Any items of interest to consider, horror stories (bad luck or potential disasters), Wh*re stories (if you don't have any children or thoughts regarding infants but wish to interject something positive to the post), tips and tricks, would you even go or stay home and watch the final episode of Big Love? Any info is appreciated.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g274/cigalert/Boat/DomedName.jpg
DISCLAIMER: I was attempting to type the word Wh*re and it wouldn't let me, it just came up *****. But you can type things like shit, fok, tit, twat, cracklicker, ballsack without any hinderance....see.

uvindex
08-21-2007, 07:32 AM
I know lots of folks have taken their tiny ones to the river starting from an early age with no problems... :)
That being said, I'd ask my pediatrician first. Babies that young are still developing their body temperature regulation mechanisms. Also, note that Pedialyte says right on the bottle, "Use under the care of a doctor" so I'd also ask my pediatrician before using Pedialyte (too many electrolytes is bad just like depleted electrolytes). By asking your pedi first, you're also covering your ass -- if you don't ask and God forbid something happens, your pedi can't say, "What the F were you thinking?" On the other hand, your pedi might say it's fine and give you some good tips and advice for the trip!
Also, remember that you can't use sunscreen on a baby less than six months, so that makes the shade all that more important (and don't forget about reflected UV).
Either way, have fun and good luck. :)

tamalewagon
08-21-2007, 07:44 AM
If you have an Easy-Up, I would suggest a portable mist system to help out in temperature. We did that with our 3 little one's and it worked out great.
www.ezmister.com
Try these guys. Their systems are inexpensive and good.

GN2RVR
08-21-2007, 07:45 AM
I took our daughter out at 4 weeks this year. I would breastfeed often. I wouldnt give you baby that young pedialyte. keep shaded and a onezie and hat. keep those wet. sit in water w baby in the shade. Have a good time!

Big Inch
08-21-2007, 07:48 AM
50/50 mix of Gatorade and water so they don't get overloaded with electrolytes. Was a post similar to this a month or so ago and Boatcop wrote up some nice info in regards to keeping them hydrating this way. At least that's what I remember. I'm sure a search will bring it up or someone can link it.
Nm just noticed that this was for a 6 week old baby. Not sure if they should be drinking Gatorade or water at that age or much of it. I'd check with your doctor.

justfloatn
08-21-2007, 07:57 AM
I agree with all of the above, plus go easy in the rough stuff and make it a short day. We kept our little girl in the car seat until her neck got strong. I know life vest or neck support, your call too. I would get out early and get off early before it gets to 110. And I don't think this needs to be said but just incase, SUNBLOCK...Reflections off the water will get that new skin real quick.
Have fun.
Ours at 3 months:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/medium/Boat_6-6-07_007.jpg

2Driver
08-21-2007, 08:08 AM
It sure didn't kill us to miss 2 seasons at the river after our son was born. For us the negatives outweighed the positives of us just wanting to go.
Stuff we considered, but we were anal.
Heat issues will show probably surface after the child is already in distress . Ever try to hydrate a 6 week old infant? Remember, you can't tell him to drink Gatorade.
His spine/neck/muscles are not developed if you plan on going out in the boat ie wakes, tossing from side to side.
SPF? His skin in about as tough as a jelly fishes.
If you have issues in the boat, (ie break down or accident) do you really want to be in that situation of boat distress and have your 45 day old new born on the boat? If he ends up sick do you want the predicament at the ramp and trying to get the boat and truck out of there?
I'd suggest waiting until mid October or better yet get the grandparents to baby-sit so you can have an adult weekend.
Just my take, but people do it without incident.