PDA

View Full Version : Stuffer?

shaun
02-22-2006, 04:30 PM
I had MPD convert my JC bowl to a JG. Jack wanted to just swap me out bowls because i guess my bowl's sockets where in good shape and since he was going to hack it off anyway he'd rather hack off a bowl that had bad sockets... anyway, i agreed, and picked up the bowl today and he said this bowl has a stuffer already in it. I was on a time crunk so didnt have much time to talk with him about it so....
Whats a stuffer do exactly? The name basically tells me that it helps stuff water into the bowl i'm assuming but when is a stuffer needed and will it make a diffrence in my app? (468 BBC, 10.5 comp, 990 heads, cam from chris strab, turning a berk A)
Also any of you guys have a spare nozzle housing laying around you want to get sell, slipped my mind and need one now :)

painterdan32
02-22-2006, 05:07 PM
From what I'm told it's like putting nitrous oxide to your "transmission" . It is suposed to direct high pressure from your impeller straight to your bowl and out the nozzle you dont have, bypassing the low pressure gap in your old bowl. You dont want my nozzle though. If you do want it it would just be a momento on your wall for "shit I shouldnt have bothered with!" Thats where it is at my house. Along with promisses of EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE and the infamous " Can you rebuild this prop for me?" If I'm Wrong... someone tell me so.... havent had my rebuilt drive out yet ( Damn Ohio weather...) . Daniel.

shaun
02-22-2006, 05:12 PM
When people on here talked about stuffers i always thought hey where talking about a inducer, figured it was slang :)

beerjet
02-22-2006, 05:14 PM
shaun , every one has told me nothing but good things about them . All they do is fill in void between the imp. and bowl to eliminate cavitation which is never good. I will be doin the same with a SS impellor so I will be antsy to see what results you get.

shaun
02-22-2006, 08:07 PM
i wont really be able to tell you guys the diffrence it makes, the boat wil finally put back together will be totally diffrent since everything has been redone (motor and pump).

IMPATIENT 1
02-22-2006, 08:22 PM
i wont really be able to tell you guys the diffrence it makes, the boat wil finally put back together will be totally diffrent since everything has been redone (motor and pump).
i think that's what happens to everyone. may as well put a stuffer in it while i'm doin the pump,kinda thing. i'm puttin one in but i can't find any posts of someone doin a before and after on a stuffer install. would like to see how it helps a 18ft. lake v-hull before i do one. i'm tryin to get thru with paint so i can do some pump work,and while the bowls off,you guessed it a stuffer.

beerjet
02-22-2006, 09:29 PM
i think that's what happens to everyone. may as well put a stuffer in it while i'm doin the pump,kinda thing. i'm puttin one in but i can't find any posts of someone doin a before and after on a stuffer install. would like to see how it helps a 18ft. lake v-hull before i do one. i'm tryin to get thru with paint so i can do some pump work,and while the bowls off,you guessed it a stuffer.
Well the only thing I will be changing is the impellor (same size) from alum. to SS and adding a stuffer so you'll all get my .02 whether you like it or not :D

sdba069
02-22-2006, 09:39 PM
For what it's worth, I tried one in my PLJ boat. Made 2 passes with it and 2 passes without it, the boat ran within .02 every pass. Did the same thing in our blown alky Placecraft and had same result, basically no change. Boat actually slowed a hundredth or two with the stuffer, but I attribute that to density altitude changes with heat of the day. Lots of people swear by them, though.

IMPATIENT 1
02-23-2006, 12:31 PM
For what it's worth, I tried one in my PLJ boat. Made 2 passes with it and 2 passes without it, the boat ran within .02 every pass. Did the same thing in our blown alky Placecraft and had same result, basically no change. Boat actually slowed a hundredth or two with the stuffer, but I attribute that to density altitude changes with heat of the day. Lots of people swear by them, though.
THIS STORY MAKES ME NOT WANT TO BROTHER WITH ONE. DID IT LOWER RPMS ANY?ANY HELP FROM IT ON LAUNCHING HARD?

sdba069
02-23-2006, 01:23 PM
We run lots of boats with the stuffers installed, but these were the only times we did any comparison testing. Both instances were in drag boats, on the clocks. Really saw no difference in E.T., speed, reaction times, or 1/8th mile times. Not to say this is the case in every application, but that's what I saw.

shaun
02-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Jack said it's no miracle worker, told me if i had problems with clearance to just remove it. My guess is that it's one of those things that helps in some cases but depends on the app and everything else working with it. Just like the droop, i asked him if he had any nozzle housings laying around and he showed me this new peice he just got that day from aggressor, it's basically the stock nozzle housing but extended a (think he said it had a half in drop), it was a proto type so it wasnt pretty looking but he said unless he see's my boat and setup that he cant recommend the droop over this new housing that was comming out. He seamed real excited about it though, said if it wasnt a proto type he would put one on the boat that was their today... my guess is that a droop is probably a bit long for alot of boats and this thing is what's been missing from the world :) Dunno, i'm talking out of my ass, i dont know much about this stuff, just the feeling i got from him.

sdba069
02-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Sounds like Aggressor's short droop. It's been around for a while.

Cs19
02-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Sounds like Aggressor's short droop. It's been around for a while.
Shaun is incorrect, it was not aggressor. I was over there the other day and saw it.

shaun
02-23-2006, 11:51 PM
Shaun is incorrect, it was not aggressor. I was over there the other day and saw it.
my bad, now that i think about it i think place diverter made it.. cs19?

inwo
03-05-2006, 09:25 AM
I have a 12Je g bowl for sale that didn't sell. Bought it to use as it was all new. Then changed my mind.
Anyway, it didn't sell, so I decided to change bowls to get the price down.
Noticed the g bowl is drilled and tapped for a stuffer. Ok good deal, thats a plus right?
Well it looks to me like the holes drilled when mounting a stuffer go into the oil space for rear bearings! Not good at all if holes are left open.
Assume everyone knows this?
Good thing it didn't sell. :)

Cs19
03-05-2006, 02:46 PM
I have a 12Je g bowl for sale that didn't sell. Bought it to use as it was all new. Then changed my mind.
Anyway, it didn't sell, so I decided to change bowls to get the price down.
Noticed the g bowl is drilled and tapped for a stuffer. Ok good deal, thats a plus right?
Well it looks to me like the holes drilled when mounting a stuffer go into the oil space for rear bearings! Not good at all if holes are left open.
Assume everyone knows this?
Good thing it didn't sell. :)
dont leave the holes open and everything will be fine.
Are you selling the g bowl?

inwo
03-05-2006, 03:57 PM
dont leave the holes open and everything will be fine.
Are you selling the g bowl?
Can't until I sell the JE. Someone might want it with that.
Plug the holes! Thats what I thought, but good thing I looked! Pump was buttoned up tight when I got it. Supposed to be good to go.